PDA

View Full Version : Selecting carry gun while dominant arm is out of commission

El Vato
01-05-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm getting ready to have the rotator cuff on my dominant arm repaired, which means my right arm will be immobilized in a sling and a waist strap for about six weeks, with full rehab taking 6-12 months.

I've been reviewing my options for a CCW firearm while my right arm is out of commission. One friend, a trainer I respect greatly, suggested a full sized autoloader, like the G19 I usually carry AIWB, but on my left. He raised the point that reloading one handed will be a bitch, and that this would be unlikely to be needed with 15+1. I purchased a left handed IWB holster, and ran into an interesting problem. Even without a holster hanging off my belt, it's hard to pull up, fasten, and belt my pants one handed (with a holstered gun hanging from the belt, it's practically impossible). However, once I get my pants up, I then need to shove gun-in-holster down my pants and engage the belt clip, all with the non-dominant hand, which is pretty difficult, as well. The (slightly easier) alternative is to position the empty holster on my belt, and then re-holster the gun -- something I do VERY CAREFULLY with my right hand under ordinary circumstances, and something I'd be even more cautious about doing with my left hand.

The other option that I see is pocket carry, either a snubbie revolver or a DAO autoloader. While the DAO autoloader may be a little easier to pocket carry, I've decided against it for several reasons. First, small pocket-able DAO autoloaders are generally chambered for .22, .32acp, or .380, not really as good as the rounds that snubbies are typically chambered for. Second, many of the little pocket autoloaders have magazine capacities not all that much greater than snubbies. Third, if I have to fire the gun, I'll be firing left handed, and will be more likely to limp-wrist, which could cause a malfunction with an autoloader, but not with a revolver. Finally, those recoil springs on blowback autoloaders are stiff, so the one-handed malfunction clearances that I can do left handed with my Glock are nearly impossible. So, if I go with pocket carry, I'd plan to carry a snub.

Everything is a compromise -- the G19 is what I'm used to carrying, but it makes dressing and using the toilet truly a bear, and I'm a little more likely to have a limp-wrist malfunction shooting left handed. The snubbie is easier to carry and won't malfunction, but only carries 5 (or 6) rounds. The question would be, then, what is more likely -- my limp-wristing my Glock, or my getting into a jam that can't be solved with 5 rounds.

I'd be curious if any others have had to consider this problem, and what others might suggest.

Kevin B.
01-05-2015, 08:39 PM
I went the G19 route. No issues getting dressed or with limp-wristing.

ToddG
01-05-2015, 09:12 PM
(a) Find a gun you shoot well WHO.
(b) Get a WHO holster of whatever kind you are most comfortable using.
(c) Use (a) and (b).

I totally understand where you're coming from with the putting-on-the-pants thing. I just looped the holster in place, got dressed, and then put the gun in the holster. Not a big enough deal to worry about.

Best of luck on the surgery and hopefully fast recovery.

okie john
01-05-2015, 09:39 PM
I think the G19 advice is sound, and I'd start training with it right now.

Okie John

gtmtnbiker98
01-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Look on the bright side, you can capitalize on the opportunity of making your weak hand your other strong hand!

1slow
01-06-2015, 12:27 AM
Todd has got it right IMHO.

BTDT. Broke both right forearm bones near wrist doing combatives while going through chemo in 2012. 2 hours into a 4 day class. Got splinted, lunched, casted. Shot the rest of the course LH out of LH gear. Got home orthopod put in 11 screws and a plate, pulled plate out later.
I shot about 4,000 rounds during these operations LHO. If you have lemons make lemonade.
Post breakage I felt I looked more like prey ( no hair , cast on arm) and was very vigilant. I DID NOT decrease my loadout.

Use your GL 19 in a LH holster.
Reloading 1 handed sucks. Look at Paul Gomez's and Bill Rogers material on how to do this. High capacity is your friend. I found mag pouches at between 8:00-12:00 were easy to load into empty pistol while it is stuffed into LH holster, waistband, pocket etc...between knees works until you have to run in mid reload.

While damaged:
High capacity is your friend,
2nd high capacity pistol is your friend,
J frame in pocket on undamaged side helps.
Put knives, reloads where you can get them with your good hand.
More alertness and awareness that you are diminished is necessary, you will be easier to damage/kill so you need to decide when you will go to gun/knife etc...
A Service auto (GL19/17 etc...) with a X300/X400 with DG11 switch and a happy stick is a great bedside pistol.

If you need to be able to run a carbine while damaged an AUG or a Tavor would be a thought.
While I was damaged I for a while I could not run a carbine, my trigger finger was not working right. When the trigger finger was working later I could run my carbine while casted. A shoulder is more of a handicap than my rotator and ulnar break.
When my broken side trigger finger was down I had a GL17/X400 DG11 with 33 round mags as my 1 hand carbine substitute. A Tavor or AUG would have been better.

Pre-damage:
Practice all of the 1 hand skills. Drawing, reloading, malfunction clearance etc...
Clearing a garment 1 handed, particularly closed front, is more difficult 1 handed and needs practice.

JodyH
01-06-2015, 07:57 AM
When I had shoulder surgery on my right arm I just bought a mirror image of my carry gear and made it work.
P2000SK in a AIWB holster. My wife carries and is a good shooter as well and she was with me the majority of the time while I was "winged".

CCT125US
01-06-2015, 08:47 AM
I would suggested checking out the P2000SK as well. Fully ambi would be helpful in your situation. Also the M&P 9c may fit the bill.

JHC
01-06-2015, 08:48 AM
I've got a LH Glock holster and tried working it all from the weak hand side and was pretty amazed how difficult is was vs just WHO shooting a la Hack standards of the pickup and WHO shooting. A lot of coordination to get wired. The thread is a good reminder to get busy on that.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Being left handed when I broke my left wrist (and ribs - ouch) - I switched a Glock 19 to a right handed setup without much problem. As far as holsters, I found that ones that clip over the belt - OWB - like the Galco line were easy to put on with one hand. Thus, put on my pants - then holstered. Long floppy shirts were used for cover. For reloading, loading, etc. I cleverly broke my wrist just I was scheduled to take a class on injured shooters techniques. Thus, I mastered the reloads and racking, etc.

I had no trouble shooting the 19 with only my nondominant hand. I also carried a single extra mag on the right side with a similar OWB clip over the belt setup.

Hopefully, you won't have a malfunction or need to reload for the zombie hoard.

JonInWA
01-06-2015, 01:05 PM
You've had some excellent suggestions on the thread. I'll echo the recommendation for the Glock G19. Another holster consideration might be an off-body type, such as a Wilderness Safepacker, which is relatively unobtrusive, but you'd have to experiment to see if one-handed use/manipulations are viable.

Best, Jon

LSP972
01-06-2015, 01:38 PM
A pre-positioned kydex, or semi-rigid leather (Summer Special, etc.) holster would work. I went through this years ago while working uniform, strong hand in a cast up to the elbow. Note to self... have an impact weapon handy even on day shift... heads are hard, especially on the side above the ear, and when that's the only target available, one's fist against that much bone usually does not end well.

Light (front desk) duty, no Sam Browne duty belt, but I still had to wear the uniform. I carried my ASP in a lefty Summer Special IWB (kydex hadn't been invented yet); thumb over the hammer while holstering removed any worries in that regard.

Regarding reloading one-handed; dropping to your knee on that side gives a handy place to tuck the pistol while retrieving and inserting the fresh magazine. If you need to rack the slide, use your heel. Of course, you drop the spent magazine on the way down, using the trigger finger if your release isn't ambidextrous.

JodyH
01-06-2015, 01:47 PM
A fanny pack or murse doesn't look as gay when your arm's in a sling.

Malamute
01-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Been reading this with interest, as I hope to be going through it soon.

I dont know that the sling looks like. Is there room above the arm in the sling to carry anything concealed? Gun, knife, spare mag?

DocGKR
01-06-2015, 05:34 PM
G19/17 or M&P9.

A few years ago, I was still running a .45 Auto 1911 when I damaged my right hand/wrist, which required numerous hand sutures and forced me into a cast for 8+ weeks. I found out how much more effective I was using a G19 weak handed compared to a .45 Auto 1911. As noted above, higher magazine capacity and lower recoil are key when truly forced to only shoot and function with only one hand.

LSP972
01-06-2015, 05:35 PM

I dont know that the sling looks like. Is there room above the arm in the sling to carry anything concealed? Gun, knife, spare mag?

Has to be small and light; a Ti-Scan AirLite J frame probably would work. You'd have to rig a holster of some sort… hey, maybe there's a market for a bicep holster. Develop one, and you'll be rich!;)

Kevin B.
01-06-2015, 07:13 PM
LSP972 brings up a good point. A lot of the techniques taught for WHO reloading, malfunction clearance, etc are fine when done for a few repetitions as part of a course. They take on a whole new level of significance when they become your ONLY way to reload, clear a malfunction, etc.

I felt I was pretty well-versed in running a gun one-handed. When running a gun one-handed became my only way of running a gun, I found many of the techniques I had been taught to be lacking and I really had to devote a bit of time to developing/refining a set of techniques I was comfortable with.

ToddG
01-07-2015, 09:05 AM
In terms of WHO techniques and to follow up on Kevin's follow up of LSP972's post... :cool:

I don't like WHO (or SHO) techniques that require you to stand still while performing them like the Rogers 1H reload technique. I'm a big believer in holstering the gun, doing as much of the manipulation in the holster as possible, and then drawing again. It may be slower but it's far less likely to result on your gun dropping on the ground and/or you getting hurt because you were static when you should have been mobile. More than one person has shot himself in the leg using the Rogers technique in particular and -- purely theory on my part -- shooting one of your kneecaps while one of your arms is already out of the fight seems like a lousy way to enjoy a gunfight.

I'm also a fan of running my mag pouch where I normally do 2H (for me as a righty, that's at 9 o'clock). It keeps my training consistent and means less reaching across my body while trying to do things.

El Vato
01-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I just got home from day surgery. Tripping comfortably on Percocet, so for now I'm not even touching a handgun. Lots of good suggestions to consider.

BJJ
01-08-2015, 12:20 AM
I am just back to being able to carry strong side after shoulder surgery a few months ago.

I was not able to do the normal dry fire exercises I do while I was injured. I mostly just worked on trigger control exercises from Ben Stoeger's dry fire book. The first exercise is basically the Wall Drill with a slow controlled trigger press. The second exercise was the Wall Drill with a rapid trigger press. I had lots of time on my hands and a desire to practice without being able to do much else so I did those two exercises a lot, mostly weak hand only but also strong hand only pointed at a low angle towards the ground. When I could get back to shooting, I was pleasantly surprised at the results when I shot an IDPA match and went to a practice session with Jim Higginbotham. My trigger control had noticeably improved.

I also practiced failure drills in live fire and dry fire. That was a little frustrating. Drawing weak hand only and trying to control recoil for two rapid body shots was not easy. I felt incredibly slow.

I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

LSP972
01-08-2015, 08:10 AM
In terms of WHO techniques and to follow up on Kevin's follow up of LSP972's post... :cool:

I don't like WHO (or SHO) techniques that require you to stand still while performing them like the Rogers 1H reload technique. I'm a big believer in holstering the gun, doing as much of the manipulation in the holster as possible, and then drawing again. It may be slower but it's far less likely to result on your gun dropping on the ground and/or you getting hurt because you were static when you should have been mobile. More than one person has shot himself in the leg using the Rogers technique in particular and -- purely theory on my part -- shooting one of your kneecaps while one of your arms is already out of the fight seems like a lousy way to enjoy a gunfight.

I'm also a fan of running my mag pouch where I normally do 2H (for me as a righty, that's at 9 o'clock). It keeps my training consistent and means less reaching across my body while trying to do things.

Sound logic... but not so hot in reality, particularly if you're carrying concealed. I had to go qualify with that ASP the day after the injury, and it was... interesting. Re-holstering into an IWB rig- without a cover garment in the way- was fun enough with one hand only. And reloading one handed while moving? Well, perhaps one could do that without fumbling/dropping something. I don't think I'd try it.

As for the safety aspect... unless one is truly ambidextrous, WHO activities with a loaded firearm are not safe... period.

Extra mags fit nicely in one's hip pocket, or you could put a pouch on either side of the gun.

But if you're carrying a mag pouch in its normal place... where are you carrying the pistol?

Kevin B.
01-08-2015, 11:11 AM
… a few additional thoughts on one-handed shooting.

While I am by no means an authority, I was without the use of my right hand/arm for about fifteen months. That forced me to take a serious look at one-handed shooting techniques and, as previously mentioned, much of what I had been taught previously, I found lacking.

Some general thoughts:
If your arm is visibly impaired (sling/cast/bandage) you just raised your profile as target. I had to acknowledge that fact and I modified my activities accordingly.

Regardless of your injury, you are probably going to have some degree of use of your arm/hand. You are needlessly handicapping (no pun intended) yourself if you are not using your arm/hand to the degree possible. As you recover, you are going to gain ability with the injured arm and techniques previously adopted need to be reassessed to determine if they are the best choice given your current level of disability.

As much as I tend to dislike hardware solutions to software problems, this is one area where hardware can provide many of the solutions.

Much of what is taught regarding one-handed manipulations/shooting is “in extremis-based” not “life-style based.” When I say “in extremis based” I mean that it tends to be taught from the perspective of you losing the use of an arm/hand to injury in the fight and having to finish the fight with one hand. From that perspective many techniques are viable. “Life-style based” means my one-handed reload IS MY ONLY reload. It could due to prolonged injury, amputation or physical deformity. As I mentioned earlier, from that perspective, much of what is acceptable for an in extremis situation fails to pass muster. This is not to say that “in extremis” techniques lack value. They just need to be used in the proper context.

I found much of what I had been taught with regard to one-handed shooting to lack a thorough understanding of what it is like not to be able to use your arm to a significant degree. I think that has led to the propagation of “in extremis” techniques as THE solution to one-handed shooting. Everyone’s situation is different and techniques need to be adapted accordingly.

One-handed shooting techniques are not just limited to running the gun one-handed. You have to cultivate a skill set that allows you address everything you are (or were) able to do with two hands, one-handed. It goes beyond reloads and malfunction clearance. How are you going to investigate the bump in the night? What if you get in a struggle for your pistol?

The single best thing I did was to take a class from an experienced instructor (in my case Scott Reitz) and vet my techniques. Scott and I discussed my limitations ahead of time and he understood what I was trying to get out of the class. Scott was enormously accommodating and was able to provide several suggestions, some that worked for me and some that did not. I went into the class thinking I had the 100% solution for my situation and after Day One it was obvious I did not; more like 75%. By the end of the class I had a set of techniques that were workable for me and that I was able to execute with a high degree of confidence.

Specific Techniques:

It is worth noting upfront that this is what I found that worked for me after a great deal of trial and error. They may or may not work for you.

Reloads: My criteria were that the technique had to be reasonable fast, allow for movement and allow me to retain the pistol. Being able to execute a reload on the move was desirable but not a requirement. The RSS technique and the trap-the-pistol-in-the-crook-of-your-knee technique were eliminated. Reholstering or securing the gun in my belt were more difficult to execute due to my WML (more on that later). The belt technique was discarded due to the propensity for the gun to either fall out of my pants (inserted too shallow) or fall down my pants (inserted too deep). Ultimately, my default reload involved trapping the pistol under my injured arm, across my chest, magazine well oriented toward my uninjured side. Reasonable fast, secure and it allowed mobility. Reholstering was my back-up technique.

Cycling the slide: Repeatedly cycling the slide using the rear sight on my belt or holster quickly exposed weakness in the technique. Using the holster was adequate for getting the slide to go forward from slide-lock but the holster tended to roll outward under pressure (regardless of the belt) making it difficult to cycle the slide when it was in battery. I would probably short cycle the slide 2 time in 10. Working off the belt was more reliable but, using the stock nights sights on a Glock, I would frequently catch either the tail of my shirt or my pants in the ejection port. I was able to mitigate this largely through clothing selection and I completely eliminated the issue by switch to Heinie Ledge sights in conjuction with a Wilderness Instructors belt.

Malfunctions: Tapping the magazine on my thigh and racking the magazine on my belt (once I got past the issues above) worked for me. I found no good way to clear a double-feed one-handed, at least with the Glock. The best answer is probably a second gun.

Low-light: Surefire X200 (the X300/X300U were not out then) with a DG switch, period. As I mentioned earlier, it did make it a bit harder to reholster for reloads and difficult to stuff the gun behind my belt.

Weapons-retention/H2H: This was an area of genuine concern for me. Fortunately, a couple of good friends stepped up, allowed me to beat on them a little and figure out what worked with a resisting opponent. I was able to effectively hook and eye gouge with my injured arm. That combined with some modified techniques from Active Countermeasures gave me a simple set of techniques to use. The folks at Emerson Knives were gracious enough to provide me with a left-handed Commander with the wave which gave me an edged weapon I could use as well.

Hardware:

Again, what worked for me. Glock 19 with a factory “-“ connector, an X200 with DG switch and a G17 magazine. I would have gone with a G17 but my “healthy” arm lacked sufficient range of motion to allow me to clear the holster with the longer slide reliably. Initially I had factory night sights but I switched to the Heinie Ledge sights. OWB holster by Comp-tac. Spare G19 magazine in a Comp-tac magazine pouch in front of the gun, bullets forward. Left-handed Emerson Commander with wave as my knife.

Obviously, the one-handed shooting dilemma may be less significant for someone with a fracture or recovering from shoulder surgery than it was for me. Hopefully, some part of my experience will be of benefit.

1slow
01-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Kevin B, well thought out, some things I had not thought about. Lifestyle based vs. in emergency is a very good point.
Paul Gomez showed me a 1 hand double feed reduction using a GAP Glock magazine base. You can hook the forward lip of the base on your belt and strip the mag without locking the slide back. This worked well for me.

Mr_White
01-08-2015, 12:43 PM
As for the safety aspect... unless one is truly ambidextrous, WHO activities with a loaded firearm are not safe... period.

Wow, I've never heard anyone take this position before. I don't think it's unsafe to not be ambidextrous and practice WHO drawing, shooting, reloading, and malfunction clearance. A number of our shooters have been able to clear doublefeeds weak hand only and on the move in training.

joshs
01-08-2015, 12:54 PM
For stoppages that are not remedied with tap-rack, the best one hand technique I've found is the inertia method. Taking a knee and hitting your wrist on the knee in front of you while depressing the mag release usually works. It's definitely a lot easier with certain pistols.

Mr_White
01-08-2015, 01:01 PM
For stoppages that are not remedied with tap-rack, the best one hand technique I've found is the inertia method. Taking a knee and hitting your wrist on the knee in front of you while depressing the mag release usually works. It's definitely a lot easier with certain pistols.

I have only very briefly tried that method - have you found it to work with a magazine that is close to empty and weighs a lot less than a fuller magazine?

LSP552
01-08-2015, 01:21 PM

I'd submit:

Taking a knee and ripping the mag on the heel
Racking slide using sights on heel 3 times
Tuck the pistol into the knee
Insert mag
Rack slide on heel to chamber
Apply death and destruction as required

David Armstrong
01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
As a teaching moment, as they say, hopefully we have all learned that prior preparation goes a long way. Back when I had to carry a serious social work gun I made it a point to have a left-hand set of gear and to practice using that about 25% of the time. Having said that, given that I've spent a long time with a snub airweight carried in the off-hand pocket and am very familiar with it, that would be MY natural go-to response, and that was what I did a while back due to an inability to use the right arm. Admittedly it was much shorter term (only about a week) but that seemed the best response for me based on familiarity and experience. Reloads are easy albeit slower, less worries about malfunction issues, etc.

ToddG
01-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Re-holstering into an IWB rig- without a cover garment in the way- was fun enough with one hand only.

I've never needed two hands to reholster. It's easier to do with an open-front garment than a closed one, but it's not that hard with a little practice. It's actually easier if the slide is locked back.

And reloading one handed while moving? Well, perhaps one could do that without fumbling/dropping something. I don't think I'd try it.

Again, not so hard. Gun in holster means the gun is secured. All you have to do is get the mag and put it in the gun. If you don't think you can access the mag on the move, I'd submit that you need a new reload technique regardless of how many hands you have.

But if you're carrying a mag pouch in its normal place... where are you carrying the pistol?

Appendix. :cool: But were I to carry on the hip, I'd simply put the mag pouch behind the holster.

The worst problem is when you get a spent case trying to feed into the back of a live round that has chambered. The sharp edge of the spent case can really lock up the gun and make the knee technique less useful. The typical "range simulation" is to force a live round behind a spent chambered case. Try doing the opposite (with a dummy round in the chamber) and it gets much tougher.

WHO stoppages that aren't solved tap/rack depend a lot on the gun and the shooter. If you cannot reach and control the slide lock/stop while also racking the slide then you can have real problems. But even 2-handed, a stoppage like that is significant enough that we're really relying on the enemy to be running away, out of ammo, or really really stupid. A five second operation during which you cannot launch rounds is a very serious deficiency.

Mr_White
01-08-2015, 04:41 PM
WHO stoppages that aren't solved tap/rack depend a lot on the gun and the shooter. If you cannot reach and control the slide lock/stop while also racking the slide then you can have real problems.

That's the real sticking point doing it single handed, especially WHO. You absolutely must be able to either pull the slide back and work the slide stop lever too, or be able to forcibly strip the magazine. If a person/gun combo can't do either, that gun is not getting fixed. A good thing to find out in training.

But even 2-handed, a stoppage like that is significant enough that we're really relying on the enemy to be running away, out of ammo, or really really stupid. A five second operation during which you cannot launch rounds is a very serious deficiency.

Definitely so. One of the last times we worked on single handed manipulations, in the time it took me to clear a doublefeed WHO on the move, I had lightly jogged almost 25 yards.

LSP972
01-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Wow, I've never heard anyone take this position before.

I didn't say it won't work. We teach off-hand-only (I think it is referred to here as WHO) extensively... at least we did; haven't been keeping up with what they're doing these days, and as you noted, it is quite doable.

What I'm talking about, after watching hundreds of students work the techniques, both with and without stressors, is that most are more concerned about getting the technique right, and tend to allow their focus on muzzle discipline and other safety factors to wander a bit… because the weak hand complicates things for them. Hell, it complicates thing for me; and I demo'ed and worked those techniques thousands of times.

LSP972
01-08-2015, 08:48 PM
I've never needed two hands to reholster. It's easier to do with an open-front garment than a closed one, but it's not that hard with a little practice. It's actually easier if the slide is locked back.

I've never needed two hands either… unless I am wearing a closed-front cover garment, which is all I do these days.

If the gun is holstered, and you've managed to get the spent magazine out, then I'll agree… not that much to it. But that hinges on getting the pistol back in the holster properly. No trick in an OWB/open carry/uniform rig. Not so easy under a buttoned shirt; even if you do remember to hook the hem of said shirt with your thumb and attempt to drag it up out of the way. I'm not theorizing here… we actually worked on this some.

I keep forgetting about appendix. It flat doesn't work for me anymore.

LSP972
01-08-2015, 08:57 PM
I'd submit:

Taking a knee and ripping the mag on the heel
Racking slide using sights on heel 3 times
Tuck the pistol into the knee
Insert mag
Rack slide on heel to chamber
Apply death and destruction as required

Ken is referring to clearing a double-feed here. We spent a lot of time on this, and it worked like a champ with the P226 and 3rd-gen 59 series S&W pistols we were using. We abandoned the lock-the-slide-back business very early on. It complicates things, especially in one-handed/off hand exercises.

But this is VERY weapon-specific. If your magazine doesn't have a protruding front of the floorplate, or some other protruding surface to hook against your belt, heel, etc., forget the ripping the mag out business… ain't happening.

ToddG
01-08-2015, 10:03 PM
I'm not theorizing here… we actually worked on this some.

Ditto. I'm a very firm believer in hooking the garment. Some people teach to push the gun into the holster even if the shirt goes in with it. Not only is it unsafe, but just try running that way.

JCS
01-08-2015, 11:36 PM
I had surgery a few months ago on my dominant shoulder and just now started shooting again. The only handgun I owned at the time was an xds so that is what I would carry. I can't tell you it's a complete pain. The problems you have now drawing will be multiplied when you have a huge sling strapped on to you. You can carry but it's difficult. I carried in a sticky holster at first because of the issue you stated of putting on a holster with one hand. Even putting on jeans is tough at first.

To be honest I probably carried about half as much as normal when in the sling. Sudden movements hurt and that's what drawing a firearm is in a defense scenario.

I'll probably get flamed for the response but it's the truth. I'm not a tactical ninja and I didn't have the training to manipulate things one handed. It was one mag only for me.

However, it completely changed my outlook on training and now I'm much more versed in using my off hand and one hand manipulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCS
01-08-2015, 11:44 PM

There is room. I had the same thought. However, especially right after surgery, any sudden movements will cause a lot of pain. It also has a belt that goes around the back to keep your arm from moving away from your body that makes carrying anything besides appendix nearly impossible without a cover garmet over the sling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLG
01-08-2015, 11:45 PM
I've never needed two hands either… unless I am wearing a closed-front cover garment, which is all I do these days.

If the gun is holstered, and you've managed to get the spent magazine out, then I'll agree… not that much to it. But that hinges on getting the pistol back in the holster properly. No trick in an OWB/open carry/uniform rig. Not so easy under a buttoned shirt; even if you do remember to hook the hem of said shirt with your thumb and attempt to drag it up out of the way. I'm not theorizing here… we actually worked on this some.

I keep forgetting about appendix. It flat doesn't work for me anymore.

I've carried with a closed front garment most of my adult life. Never found it a problem to reholster one handed, either strong side hip or appendix. In fact, I find it slightly easier to do it strong side hip, and on the move is not an issue. Now, some of that depends on just how fast you want to move.