PDA

View Full Version : New Remington Pistols

KVDT
12-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Saw this on another site. Looks like Remington will reintroduce the R51 plus a couple new pistols including a striker fired polymer pistol. I had high hopes for the R51 last year as a pistol for my father but we all know how that went.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/daniel-zimmerman/remington-itroing-three-new-pistols-including-r51/#comments

LHS
12-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Somehow I don't have much hope for them after the R51 debacle

Saw this on another site. Looks like Remington will reintroduce the R51 plus a couple new pistols including a striker fired polymer pistol. I had high hopes for the R51 last year as a pistol for my father but we all know how that went.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/daniel-zimmerman/remington-itroing-three-new-pistols-including-r51/#comments

YVK
12-31-2014, 04:08 PM
I am going to hazard a suggestion to move these humorous news to the Romper room.

KVDT
12-31-2014, 04:09 PM
I am going to hazard a suggestion to move these humorous news to the Romper room.

Ah come on. There's no way they could screw this up again, right? lol

GardoneVT
12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

The R51v2 is likely worse then the troubled original.

LockedBreech
12-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Look, I'm not actively rooting against Remington. Never was. In fact, I wanted the R51 a lot. But at this point, my resounding question is why?

There are so many good guns out there right now. It's a golden age. Far more tough, reliable, accurate weapons than I'll ever be able to afford. Beretta, Glock, Smith, Ruger, Walther, HK, and Sig are all putting out solid products and I'm sure I'm forgetting another handful of brands.

With each year that passes I'm less content to risk my money on the altar of maybe.

Kyle Reese
12-31-2014, 05:14 PM
They'll sell like hot cakes to the XD and Taurus Judge crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
12-31-2014, 05:40 PM
The Rm380 is interesting, because the spec sheet says 9mm as well. These are obviously Remington's take on the Rohrbaugh R9. Remington bought Rohrbaug last year I think. Chances are, if they didn't try to cheapen it TOO MUCH, they could have a winner there. At least as the RM9.

opmike
12-31-2014, 05:42 PM
I think I'll ignore these for the next five years and then check back to see how they're doing.

I expect there'll be a rather dedicated following on brand specific Remington forums, but for them to get little, if any, traction in more "serious" circles. I expect at least one recall.

Until there's some major advancement in small arms design heralded by a company that knows that the hell they're doing, I'm going to avoid this whole craze of chasing after new products. After wasting untold thousands over the years buying, selling, and trading guns, I'm right back to the 92 for serious day to day work and the 1911 for when I'm feeling frisky and particularly irrational. The former has been made much easier ever since BUSA awoke from their catatonic state.

cmoore
12-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Remington pistols will have a lot of "they suck" inertia to overcome.

JodyH
12-31-2014, 06:03 PM
The Rm380 is interesting, because the spec sheet says 9mm as well. These are obviously Remington's take on the Rohrbaugh R9. Remington bought Rohrbaug last year I think. Chances are, if they didn't try to cheapen it TOO MUCH, they could have a winner there. At least as the RM9.
I was looking at the Rohrbaugh 9mm up until I started looking at the velocities and accuracy people were getting.
In order to keep chamber pressures low and keep the tiny little gun from beating itself to death, part of the Rorbaughs design was very shallow rifling in a very slightly oversize bore.
Patterns at 7 yards and very low velocities for the barrel length were the norm.
That's when I stopped looking at the R9 and just bought another Kahr PM9.

LSP972
12-31-2014, 07:24 PM
I was looking at the Rohrbaugh 9mm up until I started looking at the velocities and accuracy people were getting.

I was looking at them until I shot one. Holy crap… my 360PD with 158gr +P .38s is more gentle. And replacing the recoil spring every 200 rounds didn't sound like fun either.

Clay
12-31-2014, 07:46 PM
They'll sell like hot cakes to the XD and Taurus Judge crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're probably dead-on here. I'm surprised at how many people buy a gun solely based on it's price. I'm all about getting a good deal, but I seriously doubt anyone can build a gun cheaper than Ruger (LCP, LC9s, SR9E) or S&W (SD9VE) and still make it reliable. I hope they're great, I really do, but I have serious doubts.

5pins
01-01-2015, 09:25 AM
The RP45 looks like a potential candidate for the upcoming service pistol submission.

1986s4
01-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Is it me or does that RP 45 look like a Walther P99 or HK VP9?

Sigfan26
01-01-2015, 12:44 PM
I was looking at them until I shot one. Holy crap… my 360PD with 158gr +P .38s is more gentle. And replacing the recoil spring every 200 rounds didn't sound like fun either.

This echos my experience as well. What's worse than having to change your R9 recoil spring every 200 rounds? Shooting 200 rounds through your R9!

Timbonez
01-01-2015, 01:23 PM
The RP45 looks like a potential candidate for the upcoming service pistol submission.

I wouldn't be surprised if Remington submitted it for the new MHS.

I was thinking the same thing. Creativity and innovation appear to be stagnating in the handgum realm of the firearms industry.

TORCH2J
01-01-2015, 01:38 PM

Yep, along with a very distinct SW9VE look to the backstrap and slide.

psalms144.1
01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Is it me or does that RP 45 look like a Walther P99 or HK VP9?My first thought after looking at the attachments was "wow, who's going to sue them over the RP45 design?" Looks like the red-headed step-child of a whole herd of competing designs right now...

45dotACP
01-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Man, I had high hopes for Remington pistols...they need to let the R51 die though.

RevolverRob
01-05-2015, 01:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Creativity and innovation appear to be stagnating in the handgum realm of the firearms industry.

My first thought after looking at the attachments was "wow, who's going to sue them over the RP45 design?" Looks like the red-headed step-child of a whole herd of competing designs right now...

Well to be fair; ergonomics, the action mechanism, and size constraints all put a limitation on what a gun can look like and still function as, you know, a gun (and a safe one at that). Even more so when you choose to contain the striker mechanism within the slide or frame.

I mean there is a reason why every successful revolver built has a cylinder that rotates on some kind of center pin ala Samuel Colt's design. And once that chap Rollin White figured out to bore through the whole cylinder thing and load cartridges from the back (like all the other breech loaders that dominate firearms design today), it was more or less game over in the revolver market. Sure you had tip-ups, top breaks, swing out cylinders, and double action triggers but those were all refinements on an otherwise static pattern.

That said I agree in that the aesthetic design of the RP45 looks like someone let an M&P, Glock, and Sigma have an orgy. But I'm not sure how you make something markedly different from the competition.

-Rob

Alpha Sierra
01-05-2015, 05:05 PM
As far as I am concerned Remington, like General Motors, may as well not exist any more because so long as I am alive I will not spend one cent on any of their (nor GM's) products.

psalms144.1
01-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Rob - I hear you, but look at the VP9 or P320 to see just how far away from the Glock or M&P you can get in striker fired pistols. Yes, the FUNCTION may be similar, but the details and cosmetics are still open to wide interpretation...

Regards,

Kevin

Symmetry
01-05-2015, 05:46 PM
As far as I am concerned Remington, like General Motors, may as well not exist any more because so long as I am alive I will not spend one cent on any of their (nor GM's) products.

I recently did some servicing courses with a Remington representative. He's been with them for many years, and from his descriptions in private, things are not looking good on the customer's end from Remington. Seems like every time they address one problem at the factor, they create two more to take its place. Now that much of the operation is moving south, the new setup looks like it could be worse. From all of my dealings with Remington, and all of their subsidiary companies, I would be very careful in what you buy from them for defensive purposes.

Timbonez
01-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Well to be fair; ergonomics, the action mechanism, and size constraints all put a limitation on what a gun can look like and still function as, you know, a gun (and a safe one at that). Even more so when you choose to contain the striker mechanism within the slide or frame.

I mean there is a reason why every successful revolver built has a cylinder that rotates on some kind of center pin ala Samuel Colt's design. And once that chap Rollin White figured out to bore through the whole cylinder thing and load cartridges from the back (like all the other breech loaders that dominate firearms design today), it was more or less game over in the revolver market. Sure you had tip-ups, top breaks, swing out cylinders, and double action triggers but those were all refinements on an otherwise static pattern.

That said I agree in that the aesthetic design of the RP45 looks like someone let an M&P, Glock, and Sigma have an orgy. But I'm not sure how you make something markedly different from the competition.

-Rob

I agree, but the cylinder on a revolver is the means to feed ammunition. There is not much you can change about that. I see that comparison akin to semi-autos using a magazine inserted through the grip. There is also not much you can change about that without making the gun unwieldy. I wholeheartedly agree that there is only so much you can do internally to differentiate a semi-auto of the same action (striker, da/sa, dao, sao, etc.). What I was referencing was how the gun looks aesthetically similar to those other designs, not so much the form factor or internal design.

GardoneVT
01-05-2015, 09:44 PM
All New Firearms Are Junk Until Proven Otherwise.

-me.

RevolverRob
01-05-2015, 10:32 PM
What I was referencing was how the gun looks aesthetically similar to those other designs, not so much the form factor or internal design.

Oh yea man, I understand and agree with you and Psalm on this point. I am just trying to figure out how many aesthetically distinct variants can exist on that platform. I guess what I am saying is, at some level if you gave me a pencil and some constraints, I am not sure I could come up with something radically different. Granted with plenty of machine time, I could add some tail fins and plenty of chrome...

But really what someone needs to make is a 9mm Whitney Wolverine talk about aesthetically distinct...

Maple Syrup Actual
01-06-2015, 02:16 AM
Totally should have called it the Remington MPPSV45/21.

Let's get all the lawsuits out of the way right up front.

fixer
01-06-2015, 07:20 AM

right there with you.

Hambo
01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
But really what someone needs to make is a 9mm Whitney Wolverine talk about aesthetically distinct...

I'd be on that like a rabid monkey. :cool:

Plastic Remingtons, not so much.