PDA

View Full Version : WHO Draw from Strong Side

MD7305
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm looking for some advice regarding WHO drawing from a strong side holster. I understand that the method used really depends on holster type, position, retention (if applicable) and shooter body size/shape. I'm using a Safariland 070 SSIII, 3:00 on my duty belt and I'm having a difficult time drawing WHO. 6 years ago, when I was a bit thinner, I could easily access and overcome the retention straps by reaching behind and across my back, but not so much anymore since I've gotten "bigger." I've tried accessing from the front of the hoslter but if you're familiar with the 070 you have to rock the gun back and it's almost like attempting a gun grab against yourself.

After continual practice I've considered moving the holster (from 3:00 to 4:00) to allow a behind the back access but that will cause difficulty drawing from a seated position in a vehicle. The 070 SSIII is department issued and no other options are allowed at this time. An ALS would solve my problem but until then I would appreciate any suggestions.

Alpha Sierra
08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Can you carry a backup gun on the offside? Not optimal but better than nothing.

JAD
08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Can you carry a backup gun on the offside? Not optimal but better than nothing.
Great solution in a lot of ways, particularly if you don't already wear a BUG.

gringop
08-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I I could easily access and overcome the retention straps by reaching behind and across my back, but not so much anymore since I've gotten "bigger."

Can you do it while leaning your torso forward? As I have gotten older I need to do this to make it work. I'm talking a deep bow of the spine while trying to keep the hips and gun more upright. I definitely understand the gotten bigger issue.

Gringop

MD7305
08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
In reference to BUGs the administration is not open to them. I'm not totally sure on the reasoning but they are definently coming around in terms of improving our firearms program so it may take time to get there.

I have tried bending forward. It does help but the need to rock the gun back to escape a retention device is difficult. The left shoulder goes forward as I lean forward but the gun has to move rearward. I need longer arms! Having said that bending down and forward may be the trick.

What kind of technique do you guys use on a WHO draw from strong side while using a AIWB hoslter?

Alpha Sierra
08-05-2011, 04:42 PM
After continual practice I've considered moving the holster (from 3:00 to 4:00) to allow a behind the back access but that will cause difficulty drawing from a seated position in a vehicle.
Have you considered going the other way, towards 2:30?

Maybe that shortens your reach to the pistol and you still have some shoulder and elbow range of motion left to push back on the pistol and get it out of the retention system.

SLG
08-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Have you considered going the other way, towards 2:30?

Maybe that shortens your reach to the pistol and you still have some shoulder and elbow range of motion left to push back on the pistol and get it out of the retention system.

This is what I was thinking. It's been many years since I've used a 070, but WHO draw from them was never easy, even being a small guy who's pretty flexible. Moving it forward will also lmprove (slightly) your regular draw, your ability to retain the gun, as well as seated and vehicular issues.

As for how to WHO draw from an AIWB, it's a no brainer, but it also doesn't usually involve defeating retention.

Also, though I love my ALS holsters, WHO from them is not nearly as easy as some, since you have to apply opposite pressure to defeat the mechanism and draw at the same time.

LtDave
08-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Grab the gun belt with the weak hand between holster and buckle. Pull towards the midline. Even with keepers in place you should get the 2 to 4 inches of movement you need. Unless you've got the pants and gunbelt velcro'd together. Then you better have backup available to the weak hand.

BobM
08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
When I used a 070 I could reach behind me and pop the back snap, then across the front and pop the front snap, then I'd push the gun back a little and rotate the grip to draw.
I'm using an ALS now and I think I just assumed it would be a lot more difficult. I do have a BUG that I can easily get with my weak hand though. I'll try the ALS later and report back.

BobM
08-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I tried it this morning but couldn't do it, probably mostly due to a loss of flexibility over time. I hadn't tried it since getting the holster since I've been carrying a BUG accessible to my left hand for quite some time.

MD7305
08-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I took Alpha Sierra's and SLG's suggestion and repositioned the gear on my duty belt and moved my holster from 3:00 position to 2:00-2:30. This makes it much easier to draw with my weak hand. I can defeat the retention and get the pistol out relatively easy. I haven't shot the setup with my timer but it "feels" quicker but as of lately we know "feels" is meaningless, lol. I've been carriyng AIWB with my off-duty for about 14 months and putting my duty gun in a similar location seems to have improved my draw, even with a Level III holster. I also find that the hoslter in this location makes presentations from a seated position easier as well.