PDA

View Full Version : Value / utility of threaded barrel on a rifle?

jc000
12-29-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm hoping to pick up an M&P 15-22 in the near future. I have an option to buy the talo version for a reasonable price, however I'm questioning if the threaded barrel is a benefit or not.

I do intend on picking up a suppressor at some point but not within the next 6 months. Is there any reason to not have a threaded barrel? I thought suppressors can be attached to muzzle devices?

The rifle has a compensator as well.

Lon
12-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Suppressors can be attached to either a muzzle device or directly to the barrel via threads. Most .22 Suppressors I have seen attach directly to the barrel.

LittleLebowski
12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
If you plan to SBR it, not much value.

LOKNLOD
12-29-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm hoping to pick up an M&P 15-22 in the near future. I have an option to buy the talo version for a reasonable price, however I'm questioning if the threaded barrel is a benefit or not.

I do intend on picking up a suppressor at some point but not within the next 6 months. Is there any reason to not have a threaded barrel? I thought suppressors can be attached to muzzle devices?

The rifle has a compensator as well.

Unless you are going to cut the barrel down to sbr it, as LL said, you'll need the threaded barrel for any suppressor you add. Even if you get one of the ones that attaches to a muzzle device (YHM QD Mite maybe?) you'll still need the threads to mount the muzzle device.

Odin Bravo One
12-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Most .22LR suppressors are designed for direct thread on, as Lon mentioned. Using a muzzle device and a 5.56mm suppressor is certainly an option, but it will be too front heavy for any practical purpose on a .22LR. And there is also the issue of muzzle device. It must be threaded onto SOMETHING........and I don't know of any suppressors worth a shit that attach to a birdcage flash hider. Most suppressor manufacturers have a proprietary mounting system for their can/muzzle device, even if you intend to mount a suppressor to the muzzle device, you have to get the muzzle device installed somehow.

Unless you have your own machine shop & ability to cut your own, the costs associated with pulling the barrel, cutting threads, or SBR/cutting threads is substantially out of proportion to the cost of a rifle that comes threaded as a factory option.

A better question perhaps is: "Is there a good reason to NOT have a threaded barrel on an AR type rifle?".

Not that I can think of.

jc000
12-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Excellent – thanks to all for clearing this up.