PDA

View Full Version : Right arm of the free world

JodyH
12-23-2014, 07:38 PM
DS Arms SA58 16" FAL carbine is headed my way.
With the holidays slowing everything down it probably won't be here until after New Years, but that just gives me more time to set in a stock of .308 ammo.
I've been on a real battle rifle bender lately and it's starting to make my shoulder sore.
:cool:

Jay Cunningham
12-23-2014, 07:40 PM
I had one of those and stupidly sold it. I rarely regret selling or trading guns but that one gets me.

JodyH
12-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I just need some yellow lens Ray-Ban Aviators, tight khaki short shorts and a "Be A Man Among Men" T-shirt and I can act out the dreams of my youth.

Dagga Boy
12-23-2014, 07:54 PM
I had one of the very first ones of those ever brought in. Good guns, but I was never a huge FAL fan compared to the Hk 91/G3. I recently got rid of it.........when you have a 50.63 in the safe it's okay. The 50.63 is staying for the long haul. The DSA's are nice, but I don't care what anybody says, they are not the real thing. They are great for shooters so you can keep the real ones nice.

TGS
12-23-2014, 07:56 PM
I had one of the very first ones of those ever brought in. Good guns, but I was never a huge FAL fan compared to the Hk 91/G3.

Due to capabilities/features of the guns, or were you just that much more familiar with the HK91 due to work?

LittleLebowski
12-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Imbel/Azex build. Belgian dog, Belgian rifle.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0752.jpg

Dagga Boy
12-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Due to capabilities/features of the guns, or were you just that much more familiar with the HK91 due to work?

Very much due to work. I have spent a ton of time on the MP-5 which we used extensively, and used the 91 both at work and in competition. The biggest issue with the FAL for me was it wasn't really part of a "system". My place also issued Colt Subguns for patrol along with the AR-15. Again, everything is working the same as part of a system. Additionally, I have been to both HK and Colt factory armorer schools.

Back in the days when we were shooting combat rifle competition (we test shot all the SOF 3 gun courses as typical of the stuff we were doing), the FALS were really tough to scope. The guy who came up with one of the best FAL optics mounts out there, and what I ran on my DSA was Ed Verdugo from GRSC who I shot with all the time. He was really good on the FAL, but had a harder time with the optics at the time compared to my 91 with a factory claw mount or the M1A's.

My best friend spent a lifetime overseas in very bad places. He loved the FAL, but also was a realist in that they had lots of small parts inside and were tough to maintain without logistic support (same criticism of the AR platform) and ended up running AK based systems and the AUG as his primary work guns.

rifleshooter
12-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I just need some yellow lens Ray-Ban Aviators, tight khaki short shorts and a "Be A Man Among Men" T-shirt and I can act out the dreams of my youth.

Lmao.

Trooper224
12-24-2014, 12:55 AM
I've had one of those faked up DSA's for about fifteen years now. When I went through my battle rifle phase I owned them all and the FALforgery was the only one I kept long term. In spite of using an M14 in the service and an MP5 in LE work, I never really warmed to either design and found the Galil to be a real pig of a rifle. I found the FAL to be my favorite genral purpose go-to thirty caliber rifle. If I was going to scope it I'd choose another design, but for an all around rifle I like the FAL.

Doug
12-24-2014, 02:57 AM
Fal & G3 Zimbabwe pic.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/AKS-74/media/fal_zimbabwe_farmers.jpg.html

http://media.outsideonline.com/images/I260502-2-1_zim_farmers.jpg

Patrick Taylor
12-24-2014, 04:24 AM
Mine is an 18" DSA FAL and I should shoot it more than I do.

JodyH
12-24-2014, 07:53 AM
The FAL is not going to be scoped, that's the HK762's domain.
It's going to be my "ranch rifle" and bang around in the pickup while I pretend to hunt rhino poachers on my Rhodesian (actually West Texas) property.

Odin Bravo One
12-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Imbel/Azex build. Belgian dog, Belgian rifle.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0752.jpg

I prefer German Dog.........American Rifles.

LittleLebowski
12-24-2014, 08:23 AM

The picture rocks, where is your Christmas spirit, brother? :D

David Armstrong
12-24-2014, 10:08 AM
FWIW, I still have my "Be A Man Among Men" recruitement poster, and it seemed there were a lot more SMLEs than FALs on the ground there. But it was an interesting time! Now if you really want to be "in the know" you need to find a Rhodesian A5 shotgun.:cool:

BigT
12-24-2014, 10:11 AM

My ou your going to have a lekker jol when you pull on a pair of takkies and go for a trap in the bundu with that gat. The goose will scheme you're the main ouen if you slot a terr with it boet:)

Lost River
12-25-2014, 06:35 PM

I believe that that fine looking alligator with fur is likely a Belgian Malinois rather than a German shepherd. I could be wrong..

Sweet pic either way.

Patrick Taylor
12-25-2014, 07:10 PM
DSA also sells a safety for the metric rifles that has the paddle design of the inch rifle. That and the SAW pistol grip works well on the FAL.

LittleLebowski
12-25-2014, 07:52 PM
I believe that that fine looking alligator with fur is likely a Belgian Malinois rather than a German shepherd. I could be wrong..

Sweet pic either way.

You misunderstood Sean (he definitely knows the difference between a Mal and a GSD), he was just stating his preference. For what it's worth, that Mal has passed on and I'm back to a GSD.

John Hearne
12-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Lmao.

What's funny about that? That's pure vision.....

Drifting Fate
12-25-2014, 09:58 PM
The FAL is not going to be scoped, that's the HK762's domain.
It's going to be my "ranch rifle" and bang around in the pickup while I pretend to hunt rhino poachers on my Rhodesian (actually West Texas) property.

I'm so jealous right now, may the Lord forgive me.

Very nice rifle, BTW.

JodyH
12-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Anyone have experience with Moses magazines (http://www.mosesmag.com/) for the FAL?
They seem to be the hot magazine on the FAL forum.

HCM
12-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Anyone have experience with Moses magazines (http://www.mosesmag.com/) for the FAL?

Tagged for interest since they have a SCAR mag coming out as well.

Trooper224
12-26-2014, 07:51 PM

No experience with it here. However, Gunthings.com is selling as-new original mags for $30.00. With the price being so close I'd have a hard time being a Beta tester for Moses.

drummer
12-27-2014, 11:09 AM
I bought a couple Moses mags to try out. They're the 20 rounders. Ive only test fired them but they they seemed the function fine. And they count as three parts for 922r purposes. I'd feel fine purchasing more. I also like the fact that they are lighter than the standard steel mags.

The only caveat is that I had to fit them to my rifle (an imbel/ stg mutt) in order for them to drop free easily. Once fit, they drop easily when I hit the release.

Lost River
12-28-2014, 10:44 AM
You misunderstood Sean (he definitely knows the difference between a Mal and a GSD), he was just stating his preference. For what it's worth, that Mal has passed on and I'm back to a GSD.

Ahh. Got it.

Thanks for the clarification and happy New Years!

dbateman
12-29-2014, 05:26 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/dbateman83/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/user/dbateman83/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg.html)

Two Lithgow SLRs.

Trooper224
12-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Mine's just a fun gun these days, so I keep it pretty and sans battery powered widgets.
http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/64/521964/1/157377683.Lq1fbg03.wood001.JPG

Matt O
12-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Mine's just a fun gun these days, so I keep it pretty and sans battery powered widgets.
http://m3.i.pbase.com/o9/64/521964/1/157377683.Lq1fbg03.wood001.JPG

Those are some gorgeous rifles Trooper. Makes my measly collection feel so...uncultured. ;)

NEPAKevin
12-29-2014, 03:32 PM
No experience with it here. However, Gunthings.com is selling as-new original mags for $30.00. With the price being so close I'd have a hard time being a Beta tester for Moses.

Brownell's has the DSA 20 and 30 round mags for 18.99 and 23.99 respectively. I picked up a few over the holidays when they had free shipping. They seem to work fine and also count as US parts.

Trooper224
12-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Those are some gorgeous rifles Trooper. Makes my measly collection feel so...uncultured. ;)

Thanks, I appreciate that. My working guns tend to be all black and practical with the occasional stainless gun in there. For my fun guns I gravitate more to shiny blue and nickel in handguns and nice wood on rifles. Pretty is good in some things.

Trooper224
12-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Brownell's has the DSA 20 and 30 round mags for 18.99 and 23.99 respectively. I picked up a few over the holidays when they had free shipping. They seem to work fine and also count as US parts.

I know they've had had issues with getting those to work, at least if you take all the interwebz DSA hate at face value. If they've worked it out that's a real plus for FAL lovers. I have a boat load of original FAL mags I acquired when they were five bucks a pop, but new factory produced mags are a necessity to keep the design viable.

Coyotesfan97
12-29-2014, 05:31 PM
I had a Belgian Defense Team too like LL. Sadly the dog half has passed on. I still have the DSA 58.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JodyH
12-29-2014, 07:28 PM
I know they've had had issues with getting those to work, at least if you take all the interwebz DSA hate at face value.
If you read between the lines a lot of the DSA magazine hate seems to come from people trying to run them in Franken-FAL builds.
There's also just a lot of general DSA hate from FN purists, when you research their opinion rarely do you find that the hate is based on first hand experience.
I know a lot of guys who run their rifles hard and they shoot their DSA and keep their FN in the safe.

Trooper224
12-29-2014, 08:11 PM
If you read between the lines a lot of the DSA magazine hate seems to come from people trying to run them in Franken-FAL builds.
There's also just a lot of general DSA hate from FN purists, when you research their opinion rarely do you find that the hate is based on first hand experience.
I know a lot of guys who run their rifles hard and they shoot their DSA and keep their FN in the safe.

Oh yes, agreed on all of the above. I've seen some seriously Frankened up FALs their owners were very proud of. I used to run my DSA pretty hard when I could get a thousand round case of surplus ammo for $75.00, not so much anymore. I've had mine for at least fifteen years without issue. My very first FAL-like object was a Century Arms throw-together job. I eventually got it running well then sold it off. Let's just say I knew much more about the FAL after dinking with that abortion than I would have otherwise.

jc000
12-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Why does the FAL seem to fall under the radar as a general purpose carbine contender? Is it really that antiquated? Seems like a good value vs the SCAR H / higher-end AR-10s.

drummer
12-29-2014, 10:14 PM
As much as I've loved FALS in the past, they have a lot in common with the othe rifles of the era (ie m14 and g3): not very optic friendly, not extremely accurate (2 - 3 moa), relatively heavy, and less ergonomic than modern options.

Obviously, some of those issues can be somewhat mitigated, but today, when it's almost 2015, you can get a Scar-h or ar 308 that's more optic friendly, more accurate, maybe lighter, and an overall better rifle. Reliability of the ar308s has gotten better the last few years also.

Bottom line, you can get a modern rifle that's a better overall package in many ways, but it will probably cost you a good bit more money.

LittleLebowski
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
As much as I've loved FALS in the past, they have a lot in common with the othe rifles of the era (ie m14 and g3): not very optic friendly, not extremely accurate (2 - 3 moa), relatively heavy, and less ergonomic than modern options.

Obviously, some of those issues can be somewhat mitigated, but today, when it's almost 2015, you can get a Scar-h or ar 308 that's more optic friendly, more accurate, maybe lighter, and an overall better rifle. Reliability of the ar308s has gotten better the last few years also.

Bottom line, you can get a modern rifle that's a better overall package in many ways, but it will probably cost you a good bit more money.

Well said.

Trooper224
12-29-2014, 10:43 PM
For me, the FAL has great old school cool. However, if I needed a thirty caliber rifle for work it would be the SCAR-H. I really like that rifle and only have a couple of issues with it. I would have one just for shites and googles if it wasn't so expensive.