PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy at high speed

Cowtown44
12-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have a good drill(s) to improve accuracy at higher speeds? These could be either live fire or dry fire drills. One of the big things holding me back in USPSA is the ability to collect alpha on difficult target without taking forever. Thanks in advance for the responses.

JHC
12-24-2014, 09:00 AM
IMO the 99 Drill is supreme for fast accuracy.

the_swede
12-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Does anyone have a good drill(s) to improve accuracy at higher speeds? These could be either live fire or dry fire drills. One of the big things holding me back in USPSA is the ability to collect alpha on difficult target without taking forever. Thanks in advance for the responses.
25 yard Bill Drills. Both dry and live.

GJM
12-24-2014, 09:56 AM
The first question is whether you're trying to do better at USPSA or do better at shooting low probability shots faster. If I wanted to shoot low probability shots faster, I'd spend a bunch of time on the Garcia.Dot drill.

If I wanted to do improve my USPSA score, I would shoot the close targets slow, and the fast targets fast. I didn't make this up. Robbie Leatham told me.

Gio
12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
A major element of getting good points is making sure you are looking at the specific spot you want to hit in the middle of the A zone with your eyes. It's easy to fall into the trap (especially at speed) of seeing the entire brown target rather than the specific spot you want to hit. When you transition from one target to another, lead with your eyes and find that specific spot on the next target. If you transition by following your front sight to the next target rather than your front sight following your eyes, you will have a high likelyhood of overswinging or underswinging the target and putting the sight anywhere on the brown rather than in the middle of it.

If you want to improve your trigger speed and recoil control on tighter targets, try the drill: Draw fire 2 alpha from 25 yds. Ben Stoeger puts a GM level goal on this of less than 2 seconds.

nwhpfan
01-02-2015, 12:54 PM
If you want to improve your trigger speed and recoil control on tighter targets, try the drill: Draw fire 2 alpha from 25 yds. Ben Stoeger puts a GM level goal on this of less than 2 seconds.

I do this drill all the time and I believe it's a true test of about everything you need to be accurate fast.

If you can do it dry fire (who can't) then you can break down what your problem is. Shooting is pointing at the target and not disrupting the sights as you pull the trigger. If you can point, you can shoot.

Get a 25 yard target...draw and dry fire once, pull the second time. Once you have the drawing, pointing, and pulling part see what you get live fire. I'm sure you can pull the trigger twice in under two seconds but where are the rounds. If they are not A's, this is where you work to find out.

You will see you either have a flinch or poor grip. Grip if the pistol doesn't return to the A zone.

I believe you do have to take more time to ensure you have a proper trigger pull because any mess-up can have your shot off target.

I usually get my first shot in about 1.2 and my split around .7.

If you are training from the Ben Stoeger DF book ( get it if your not) do the drill "trigger control at speed." It will help inoculate you from recoil, blast, etc. if that is an issue for you.

Good luck.

Up1911Fan
01-02-2015, 11:10 PM
I like shooting Bill Drill's to a 3x5.

QuickMick
01-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Mhhm, what I did the last weeks as some sort of "warm-up" in my training sessions was to shoot a whole mag on a fixed steel plate at 20m. I start rather slow -one shot per second- and concentrate on trigger and sight picture. After the first three shots I start to accelerate until I miss the steel plate. The improvement in speed when taking a Bill Drill as test was about 25%.

Slavex
01-05-2015, 02:51 AM
For me the single biggest help in speeding up my accuracy on targets was using turning targets. PAR times on stationary targets just didn't do it for me. Nothing invokes panic like a target that is going to turn on it's own. Then either do AMRAP drills on increasingly smaller areas, or from further away, or specific round count drills with reducing times.

ToddG
01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
For me the single biggest help in speeding up my accuracy on targets was using turning targets. PAR times on stationary targets just didn't do it for me. Nothing invokes panic like a target that is going to turn on it's own. Then either do AMRAP drills on increasingly smaller areas, or from further away, or specific round count drills with reducing times.