PDA

View Full Version : Lower One-third vs Absolute Co-Witness and Change of Zero

MK11
12-22-2014, 09:42 AM
This may be an extremely obvious question but I'd appreciate your thoughts before I go burn up some precious ammo.

I've run Aimpoint micros on my ARs with a lower one-third cowitness (50/200 yard zero). Astigmatisms in both eyes have made it increasingly difficult to use a red dot until I saw the thread on people looking through their rear peep sight at the dot. It works!

I've previously kept the rear sights folded down. When I pop it up, it looks like it drops the dot right on top of the front sight for an absolute co-witness. Does this mean I'll need to rezero or invest in new mounts that give me a real absolute co-witness? Either way, I'm thrilled to be able to use the red dots again. Thanks!

John Hearne
12-22-2014, 09:56 AM
If you want everything to be centered, then yes, a new mount is in order. I have long loved the absolute co-witness for the continuity with my cheek weld using iron sights. I am very frustrated that so few companies offer absolute co-witness mounts. Good luck finding a detachable mount for a magnifier that is absolute co-witness. You can e-mail the companies, get their assurances, and when the mounts arrive, they don't line up.

JAD
12-23-2014, 01:38 PM
In 1997 I had a Brown mount installed, which provides ACW. Since then, every time I pick up a lower third gun, I assume the mount is installed incorrectly.

Dagga Boy
12-23-2014, 11:48 PM
The factory Aimpoint mounts or LaRue absolute co-witness are what I use. On the Micro's, I have also had good luck with ADM's absolute co-witness mounts.