PDA

View Full Version : A thank you to LEO's!

simonsez
12-20-2014, 12:10 AM
This has been an upsetting last several months. I have seen people disregard and ignore facts. The media has piled on with irresponsible journalism. Politicians who have no real world experience other than running their mouths are weighing in where they shouldn't be. I know Law enforcement is getting the raw end of the deal. I see in other posts from LEO's on this forum that it's wearing on them and I get that.
I need to say THANK YOU to all the men and women in law enforcement! Don't let the minority viewpoint discourage you guys and gals! We need you out there sweeping the trash off the streets! We the public majority ARE behind you and believe in what you do! Don't give up! PLEASE! Your work is appreciated more than you will ever know! Thank you all for risking your life every day you put on the uniform! I salute you all! Thanks for keeping my family and I safe!

Josh

ToddG
12-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I think we should be thankful of all law enforcement in the United States regardless of their astrological sign.

And for the record, I'm 44 years old and still a virgo.

MichaelD
12-20-2014, 12:15 AM
I'll second that. Thank you to all who wear the uniform and perform their jobs with honor.

BaiHu
12-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Add me into the mix as a Taurus. NO! Not the crappy kind...

SeriousStudent
12-20-2014, 12:48 AM
I am thankful for all those who keep us safe. If you raised your hand and swore an oath, you have my respect and support. Some did so in law enforcement, others in the military. I know health care professionals that took the Hippocratic Oath, which they take quite seriously. Some of you have done so multiple times, in multiple professions.

Right now, officers are under scrutiny and undeserved attack from many who are not capable of understanding, and those who chose not to even try. Please be heartened by the fact that we appreciate your courage and willingness to sacrifice.

Thank you all for doing those things, so that I and my children can sleep safely. Bless you, every one of you.

Chuck Haggard
12-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Believe me, no one hates a bad cop worse than other cops.

And thanks, I appreciate the thought.

Coyotesfan97
12-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Thank you

Joe in PNG
12-20-2014, 07:37 AM
I'll echo all of the above- thanks!

RoyGBiv
12-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Count me in.

I'm not a LEO, but I am a Leo.;)

fixer
12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I echo Simonsez's thoughts here.

LittleLebowski
12-20-2014, 10:38 AM
In on the thanks. Recent public events and moves by our current administration shows that now more than ever, responsible citizens and cops are on the same side and of the same mindset. Thank you, gents.

MGW
12-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Ditto. My biggest fear is that LEOs are going to start second guessing themselves and needlessly getting hurt because of it. Do what you do guys and know that the majority of civilians support, respect, and appreciate what you do for us each and every day. Be safe out there.

KeeFus
12-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Last night I had the pleasure of directing traffic for 2 hours before DOT could come set up signs for the road closure which was caused by a 19 year old drunk driver who had taken out a light pole, causing a large power outage. This road is heavily traveled by people who work in the RTP/Raleigh/Durham area. Of course we got the usual "can I go this way..." stuff but I was pleasantly surprised by the many people of different ethnicity, race, and religion told me that they appreciated us. Then I read this today.

Thanks. It really means a lot right now when you are feeling attacked and under valued.

Chuck Haggard
12-20-2014, 10:51 AM
The second guessing thing is very real, and happening right now, in lots of places.

We had a mess here last weekend that ended in a fatal OIS, but should have been taken care of MUCH earlier than it did. Several of the officers involved have talked to me off line and expressed second guessing themselves, at the time as to whether they should shoot, and after for knowing that they should have shot much sooner.

A dude that has already stabbed a woman in the face during an attempted car-jack and has now pulled a Beretta 92 on uniformed officers shouldn't require much decision making processing IMHO

KeeFus
12-20-2014, 10:55 AM
The second guessing thing is very real, and happening right now, in lots of places.

QFT.

"A lot of officers I've heard — not just in Baltimore but nationally when I talk to other mayors — said they want to make sure that they get it right," she said. "It's understandable if they feel at greater risk. We are, for our generation, for many of those who are active on the street, in uncharted territory. There is a lot of unease."

"They don't want to be the next Darren Wilson," she said, referring to the Ferguson, Mo., police officer who shot an unarmed man. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-md-ci-sunday-shooting-20141217-story.html

1slow
12-20-2014, 11:21 AM
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" George Orwell.

MD7305
12-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I love this forum, you guys are great! Thanks for the kind comments, it's much appreciated. It's ironic that last week in my town we spent hours looking for armed fugitives, one of which was caught with a loaded PPX, then the very next day we have to protect protestors exercising their right to claim we are abusive and use excessive force. The best part was the small group of protestors across the street, mostly high school kids and a couple adults, who held signs saying "we support our police." That made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, especially to see youngsters in the group supporting us.

Cheap Shot
12-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Thank you and respect

NETim
12-20-2014, 01:43 PM
Sagittarius salute to all LEO's!

MDFA
12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks Everyone it's good to hear that some people understand what we do and why we do it.

Artemas
12-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Thank you all for the responsibilities and risks that you have taken on.

fixer
12-20-2014, 11:15 PM
In on the thanks. Recent public events and moves by our current administration shows that now more than ever, responsible citizens and cops are on the same side and of the same mindset. Thank you, gents.

Gotta say this is exactly how I feel lately.

TR675
12-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Scorpio checking in with respectful thanks and support.

Trooper224
12-21-2014, 12:11 AM
A return thanks to all of you.

Suvorov
12-21-2014, 01:12 AM
Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for those of you who hunt those who prey on the innocent. You stay safe and know that for every protester out there who claim to hate you, there are hundreds who respect you.

olstyn
12-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Right there with all of you. The local cops where I live clearly care about their community, and it's great to have that be the case. Thank you to all of you out there getting it right. Hopefully the desire not to be the next one in the uncomfortable media spotlight doesn't prevent you from being safe.

Tom Duffy
12-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Believe me, no one hates a bad cop worse than other cops.

+1

Shellback
12-21-2014, 10:54 AM
...I was pleasantly surprised by the many people of different ethnicity, race, and religion told me that they appreciated us...

I think that's how the majority of people feel, myself included. A small group of internet loud mouths and protestors doesn't define the mindset of a nation, or it's citizens.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

45dotACP
12-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Not a LEO. But I'm a definite fan. Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

KeeFus
12-22-2014, 07:41 AM
I think that's how the majority of people feel, myself included. A small group of internet loud mouths and protestors doesn't define the mindset of a nation, or it's citizens.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

I was thanked again Saturday night when a unlicensed drunk took me out as I was driving down the road in my MARKED PATROL CAR...SMDH.

Oh well, Merry Christmas!

LittleLebowski
12-22-2014, 08:17 AM
I was thanked again Saturday night when a unlicensed drunk took me out as I was driving down the road in my MARKED PATROL CAR...SMDH.

:D Post pics!

KeeFus
12-22-2014, 08:21 AM
:D Post pics!

As soon as I can do so without getting hit with a policy violation I will. It was more of an angled side swipe but it immobilized my Charger on the spot...their Nissan kept trucking. Luckily another officer was close by and got in on them pretty quick.

I had just detailed it too. Go figure...it always rains or you get hit by a drunk driver...it wasn't raining so it had to be a drunk.

LSP552
12-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Glad you are OK!

Shellback
12-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Drunks are like moths to a candle when it comes to police cars... Hope you're OK!

Trooper224
12-23-2014, 03:54 AM
At least it was just a rental!

KeeFus
12-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Occurred last night in Fayetteville.

When the officer arrived, she approached a man in the parking lot. The man fled on foot, and the officer found him behind a row of garages. The officer ordered the man to stay on the ground, but he charged the officer and began choking her, police said.

The officer stopped the assault by drawing her department-issued pistol and pointing it at the man, who then fled on foot into woods near the complex.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/man-44-charged-with-assaulting-fayetteville-police-officer/14303446/#TUosSeRqM8OH40vW.99

olstyn
12-23-2014, 12:51 PM
I'd be careful of using that incident as an example of a second guessing/hesitation problem; a lot of the folks out there espousing anti-police sentiment would view that as a good outcome. After all, the officer lived with arguably minor injuries, the suspect was apprehended and charged in the end, and nobody died. (I assume, perhaps erroneously, that your argument is that she should have drawn her pistol earlier in the encounter in order to have a better chance of compliance/surrender vs the outcome as it occurred?)

MD7305
12-23-2014, 01:09 PM
KeeFus, glad you're ok brother.

KeeFus
12-23-2014, 01:17 PM
I'd be careful of using that incident as an example of a second guessing/hesitation problem; a lot of the folks out there espousing anti-police sentiment would view that as a good outcome. After all, the officer lived with arguably minor injuries, the suspect was apprehended and charged in the end, and nobody died. (I assume, perhaps erroneously, that your argument is that she should have drawn her pistol earlier in the encounter in order to have a better chance of compliance/surrender vs the outcome as it occurred?)

Once someone is choking you that's deadly force on their part. Deadly force is authorized on the officers part.

FWIW, the media again got it wrong as the original story read as if he had been apprehended. ...they're still actively looking for the guy...who is homeless.

KeeFus
12-23-2014, 01:20 PM
KeeFus, glad you're ok brother.

Thanks! I'm more pissed about it than anything else. He is still in jail. :D

ToddG
12-23-2014, 02:33 PM
...but he charged the officer and began choking her...

I'm sure half the residents of NYC will be down there by tomorrow, protesting against criminals who choke police officers. Right?

Except (a) how did she have any reason to know that drawing her gun at that late state would save her and (b) how did she know that the guy would be apprehended? (and now it seems he wasn't, actually, apprehended)

She got lucky. She could have been killed. The guy is still out there, a guy who has demonstrated his willingness to use lethal force on armed police officers. Do you think he'd hesitate to choke you to death?

Yes, she may have just saved herself from being on CNN and being forced to resign due to massive skewed public scrutiny. She also may have been killed for hesitating. If this turned out "well" but if so it's in no small part because the bad guy chose not to press the fight.

olstyn
12-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Once someone is choking you that's deadly force on their part. Deadly force is authorized on the officers part.

FWIW, the media again got it wrong as the original story read as if he had been apprehended. ...they're still actively looking for the guy...who is homeless.

Ah, well then, even more obviously not a good outcome. Sure would be nice if the news media could report things as they happened rather than making stuff up.

FWIW, I never meant to argue that deadly force wouldn't be authorized when you're being choked; I was merely trying to point out how some people with more outrage than sense might view things.

olstyn
12-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Yes, she may have just saved herself from being on CNN and being forced to resign due to massive skewed public scrutiny. She also may have been killed for hesitating. If this turned out "well" but if so it's in no small part because the bad guy chose not to press the fight.

I think I must have been less than perfectly clear in my earlier post. I in no way meant to say that *I* believed it was a good outcome, but rather that people who were involved with the Ferguson or NY protests, their supporters, or people on the fence about the issues who haven't got an understanding of justification for use of force might believe so. You're 100% right that she's lucky to be alive, and that she had no way of knowing that simply displaying a weapon would be enough to stop the assault. The suspect is also very lucky that she didn't pull the trigger. Seems like just about everybody involved got lucky in some way.

rd62
12-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Thank you to all the men and women in law enforcement and thank you to their families.

Merry Christmas and a safe 2015!