PDA

View Full Version : 'What's New?" vs. Search "Your Last Visit"

RJ
12-19-2014, 08:39 AM
I have a question about the way the "What's New" link works, vs. how posts are searched in Advanced Search since "My Last Visit".

This is something I've seen consistently, on this forum (but no where else on any other forum I'm on):

"My" posts don't ever show up when I click "What's New"?

But they show up every time when I use the Advanced Search, and select "since my last visit". Should they not be the same, or am I missing something?

Example: Here are two screen shots, one with "What's New", and the second from an Advanced Search. Both were done within seconds of eaach other. See how in the second pic, you can see a response from me on an M&P topic. But this doesn't show in the first pic (What's New).

No big deal, I just find it a little odd; I use What's New almost exclusively to browse the forum.

Edit for pics

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/19/a7faef8ea321b60ad8142d124408c014.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/19/2538318594fbd055fb48e4eb13fc7f19.jpg

JV_
12-19-2014, 08:43 AM
"What's New" is for posts that you haven't yet read. It's often used in conjunction with "Forum Actions" -> "Mark Forums Read", where everything is marked as read. You'd then use "What's New", on your next visit, and you can see all of the new posts since your last visit - because those haven't been read.

Your posts don't show up because they're probably already marked as read, because you were taken back to the thread right after you posted.

RJ
12-19-2014, 08:45 AM
"What's New" is for posts that you haven't yet read. It's often used in conjunction with "Forum Actions" -> "Mark Forums Read", where everything is marked as read. You'd then use "What's New", on your next visit, and you can see all of the new posts.

Your posts don't show up because they're probably already marked as read, because you were taken back to the thread, right after you posted.

Ah so, makes more sense now.

Thanks a bunch.

Rich

JV_
12-19-2014, 08:46 AM
No problem.

Notice in your second picture, the thread title that's not bold? That's because it's been marked as read and wouldn't show up in "What's New."

RJ
12-19-2014, 08:51 AM
No problem.

Notice in your second picture, the thread title that's not bold? That's because it's been marked as read and wouldn't show up in "What's New."

Yep.

However, if even more proof were needed I am an idiot, I just noticed the link "new posts", which is what I should have been clicking all along.

Argh. Sorry for wasting your time. :(

JV_
12-19-2014, 09:01 AM
No worries, perhaps someone else will see value in the explanation too.