PDA

View Full Version : Restraiint as taught in police training

Glenn E. Meyer
12-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Sitting here grading 30 or so papers regarding visual perceptual effects, I periodically wander into news sources.

I found this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/police-gun-shooting-training-ferguson/383681/?single_page=true

I offer it for comment without opinion. I note if references some of the modern work on race and training for instance. Seems relevant to many discussions here.

Glenn

czech6
12-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Spoken like a true administrator that's detached from reality. It's easier for him to go to a cop funeral, than it is to explain why that same cop could have used deadly force to stay alive.

He's far enough out of the loop that "Verbal Judo" is a foreign concept to him, or he gladly ignores the concept because it conflicts with his cop bashing.

He says that policing is "safer" than ever, thanks to the practices he thinks should be abandoned.

It's drivel that get his name out there, get him booked for a couple more spots at seminars and doesn't matter who he throws under the bus to make a few more dollars.

Dagga Boy
12-17-2014, 05:05 PM
I would love to debate this idiot too. Bet he had a ton of time studying to be a scholar. Usually the guys who were scholars were getting that way instead if doing one iota of proactive police work.

If we would spend time on building confidence with force instead of fear and cultural sensitivity most issues can end before they start. I haves feeling we would get there via different means.

BJJ
12-17-2014, 05:05 PM
I'd be curious to know a little more about the author's background as a police officer. I'm guessing he wasn't much of a go getter in terms of crime fighting.

That article is about what I expect from The Atlantic.

jnc36rcpd
12-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I followed a couple of the links in the article and found one on the Richmond (CA) Police Department interesting. The article focused on community policing and how the number of officer-involved shootings decreased under the current police chief. The article also mentioned how few of the shootings were fatal which seems to indicate vast misunderstanding of ballistics, anatomy, and luck rather than a reflection on RPD's shootings. The department also purchased more less-lethal weapons which is usually a good way to reduce OIS's.

But the biggest takeaway for me is this: Richmond PD trains monthly with firearms and quarterly on role-playing training on disarming residents. I'm going to guess that it some is type of force-on-force training. If we look to Richmond as a model for reducing use of force, we better start spending a metric bunch more money on training budgets. Perhaps the politicians could reduce some of their feel-good projects and allocate more to training.If "black lives matter" or "all lives matter", politicians should put their money where their mouths are.

Trooper224
12-17-2014, 06:09 PM
http://m4.i.pbase.com/o9/64/521964/1/158356884.sVGOyozm.1013016_10_6986_n.jpg

BJJ
12-17-2014, 08:27 PM
But the biggest takeaway for me is this: Richmond PD trains monthly with firearms and quarterly on role-playing training on disarming residents. I'm going to guess that it some is type of force-on-force training. If we look to Richmond as a model for reducing use of force, we better start spending a metric bunch more money on training budgets. Perhaps the politicians could reduce some of their feel-good projects and allocate more to training.If "black lives matter" or "all lives matter", politicians should put their money where their mouths are.

I think this is an important point. More training leads to more confident officers who are better able to resolve situations. I would be absolutely thrilled to get monthly firearms training and quarterly force on force from my department.

ST911
12-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Sitting here grading 30 or so papers regarding visual perceptual effects, I periodically wander into news sources.

I found this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/12/police-gun-shooting-training-ferguson/383681/?single_page=true

I offer it for comment without opinion. I note if references some of the modern work on race and training for instance. Seems relevant to many discussions here.

Glenn

The dude holding the sign in the picture is retired Philadelphia Capt Ray Lewis. Interesting choice for that article. He's a...unique individual. https://www.facebook.com/captainraylewis

Dagga Boy
12-17-2014, 08:42 PM
I followed a couple of the links in the article and found one on the Richmond (CA) Police Department interesting. The article focused on community policing and how the number of officer-involved shootings decreased under the current police chief. The article also mentioned how few of the shootings were fatal which seems to indicate vast misunderstanding of ballistics, anatomy, and luck rather than a reflection on RPD's shootings. The department also purchased more less-lethal weapons which is usually a good way to reduce OIS's.

Neato......I cut our officer involved shootings down extensively and cut the rounds fired down extensively when lethal force was used, this also cut the lawsuits way down and when we got sued, we usually won or had minimal liability...........training my people to shoot better, how to shoot with high accountability and using a fairly tough standard for officers........wow, imagine that.

Chuck Haggard
12-17-2014, 09:39 PM
The most highly trained people fuck up less, far less, than people not as well trained. It's a fact of life.

This article is completely out of touch with reality.

LtDave
12-17-2014, 09:50 PM
I would love to debate this idiot too. Bet he had a ton of time studying to be a scholar. Usually the guys who were scholars were getting that way instead if doing one iota of proactive police work.

Absolutely spot on. The other group often lacking in actual police skills was the one always working on their next promotion.

John Hearne
12-17-2014, 09:54 PM
"Use-of-force training should also emphasize de-escalation and flexible tactics in a way that minimizes the need to rely on force, particularly lethal force."

While I have other problems with article, this is the one that I find most annoying. The level of force that police use is largely determined by the actions of the person they are confronting. The officers are not the ones who can really minimize the need to rely on force - the suspect does. The level of force used is controlled by the suspect, not the officers.

The number of instances of police using force, let alone inappropriate force, when a suspect assumed a handcuffing position on the first instruction and allowed him/herself to be handcuffed are pretty freaking small. The number of suspects shot by police who slowly raised their hands when first ordered to do so is pretty miniscule.

To blame the officers because a suspect chose to resist is indicative of the view that every time the police use force they have failed which I do not agree with. This is what seems to separate the admin mentality from the field mentality.

brad413
12-17-2014, 10:41 PM
I'd be curious to know a little more about the author's background as a police officer. I'm guessing he wasn't much of a go getter in terms of crime fighting.

That article is about what I expect from The Atlantic.

From looking at his resume he seems more like a guy who didn't spend a whole lot of time in uniform before bailing for greater things via college and then law school: http://www.law.sc.edu/faculty/stoughton/cv.pdf

Its odd that an article on use of force by law enforcement written by a lawyer doesn't include any of the Graham terms.

Brad