PDA

View Full Version : Lame Duck Senate approved inexperienced anti-gun ideologue for Surgeon General

PPGMD
12-15-2014, 07:49 PM
51-43.

will_1400
12-15-2014, 09:27 PM
More details, please?

JV_
12-15-2014, 09:33 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/227156-four-nominees-dems-are-pushing-through

ToddG
12-15-2014, 09:34 PM
More details, please?

See:

Senate Confirms Anti-Gun Dr. Vivek Murthy as Surgeon General (http://gunssavelives.net/gun-politics/breaking-senate-confirms-anti-gun-dr-vivek-murthy-as-surgeon-general/)

... and also ...

How to Search on Google (https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/134479?hl=en) :cool:

Dagga Boy
12-15-2014, 11:13 PM
He is very light on being a doctor as well.

PPGMD
12-15-2014, 11:17 PM
He is very light on being a doctor as well.

8 years from residency to SG.

YVK
12-16-2014, 12:09 AM
I don't find eight years to be insufficient to develop appropriate leadership skills, especially for a figurehead position. I would've preferred that SG had had a track record of leading a large practice, department or institution rather than going a route of medical activism.

As far as his anti-gun position is concerned, here is my surprised face. He wants MDs to routinely ask patients about firearms ownership and "counsel about appropriate measures". If this gets any more traction and expands on routine adult practice of medicine, I can see my first manuscript, YVK's Guide to Medical Firearms Safety Counseling. It will go along the lines "Doctors should advice their patients to purchase only well designed quality firearms. An investment in a safety and handling class is strongly recommended but not mandatory, refer to NRA for basic safety classes. Familiarity and safe handling is best reinforced through regular thoughtful practice with a firearm. Patients are advised to teach their family and friends appropriate safety habits to minimize a risk of injury; the more people know how to handle guns correctly, the safer our communities are, etc, etc".

Paul D
12-16-2014, 01:07 AM
I don't find eight years to be insufficient to develop appropriate leadership skills, especially for a figurehead position. I would've preferred that SG had had a track record of leading a large practice, department or institution rather than going a route of medical activism.

As far as his anti-gun position is concerned, here is my surprised face. He wants MDs to routinely ask patients about firearms ownership and "counsel about appropriate measures". If this gets any more traction and expands on routine adult practice of medicine, I can see my first manuscript, YVK's Guide to Medical Firearms Safety Counseling. It will go along the lines "Doctors should advice their patients to purchase only well designed quality firearms. An investment in a safety and handling class is strongly recommended but not mandatory, refer to NRA for basic safety classes. Familiarity and safe handling is best reinforced through regular thoughtful practice with a firearm. Patients are advised to teach their family and friends appropriate safety habits to minimize a risk of injury; the more people know how to handle guns correctly, the safer our communities are, etc, etc".

That guy is a stooge. He has zero credibility. Here in Arizona, there are so many gun-centric companies: Ruger, McMillan, Robar, Galco, POF, etc. Hell, ATK has a place in the east valley of metro Phoenix where they test out explosives. I get so behind in my schedule questioning my patients about what's new and what's in the works.

tremiles
12-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Does the Surgeon General declaring firearms a public health menace give the President any additional legal authority to unilaterally take additional action to restrict firearms?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

YVK
12-16-2014, 02:58 AM
I don't think so. I've practiced here since '97 and I honestly don't know what the Surgeon General is about. As far as I am concerned, this post has zero ability to influence anything in any meaningful way.

tremiles
12-16-2014, 03:39 AM
My primary concern is if the SG has any real or Executive granted authority over ACA compliance for health insurance and rates for gun owners as an end around Congress.

Dagga Boy
12-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Does the Surgeon General declaring firearms a public health menace give the President any additional legal authority to unilaterally take additional action to restrict firearms?

With this administration there are no norms as to what they will do based on the recommendations of the medical community organizer.

joshs
12-16-2014, 07:52 AM
My primary concern is if the SG has any real or Executive granted authority over ACA compliance for health insurance and rates for gun owners as an end around Congress.

There is an express limitation in the ACA that prevents rate discrimination based on being a gun owner.

PPGMD
12-16-2014, 09:03 AM

The SG is supposed to be a voice of authority, pushing forward medical issues in America. It is typically the cap of a very long career.

Instead we got a political hack. But that is the norm for the Obama administration.

LHS
12-17-2014, 12:17 AM
That guy is a stooge. He has zero credibility. Here in Arizona, there are so many gun-centric companies: Ruger, McMillan, Robar, Galco, POF, etc. Hell, ATK has a place in the east valley of metro Phoenix where they test out explosives. I get so behind in my schedule questioning my patients about what's new and what's in the works.

Wait, there's a PRO-gun doc in Phoenix? Awesome!

Paul D
12-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Wait, there's a PRO-gun doc in Phoenix? Awesome!

Hell yeah! Every doc I know is pro-2A. Of course I don't hang out with morons so it may be selection bias. A neurologist I know built his own semi-auto Ma Deuce. He also has his own CNC machine to make his own suppressors on Form 1. Just wear a CZ, Sig, or HK logo t-shirt to your doctor's office and you'll find out if your doc is pro-gun or not. Wear Knight's Armament, US Optics, or Wilson Combat t-shirt to my office, and I will totally neglect your health issues and talk only about guns.

PPGMD
12-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Hell yeah! Every doc I know is pro-2A. Of course I don't hang out with morons so it may be selection bias. A neurologist I know built his own semi-auto Ma Deuce. He also has his own CNC machine to make his own suppressors on Form 1. Just wear a CZ, Sig, or HK logo t-shirt to your doctor's office and you'll find out if your doc is pro-gun or not. Wear Knight's Armament, US Optics, or Wilson Combat t-shirt to my office, and I will totally neglect your health issues and talk only about guns.

My docs aren't pro-gun, at least not openly. But their colleague shoots USPSA and 3 Gun.

MichaelD
12-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Paul D, if/when my wife and I move to AZ to be near her family (she grew up in Tempe), I'll have to look you up.

As for the new Surgeon General, I'm not surprised at all. More of the same from the Obama administration and the Democrat powers that be.

LHS
12-17-2014, 11:14 PM

I have just one question for you: are you accepting new patients? :) (seriously, PM inbound)