PDA

View Full Version : What pistol do you prefer to carry?

Failure2Stop
08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
After your experience, what pistol do you prefer to have on your side, and why?
It doesn't have to be what you are carrying right now, but I assume that if you have grown a distinct preference it is for a good reason. What have you used in the past that was surpassed by your current (or desired) pistol.
How is the pistol performing compared to your initial expectation and what do you still want to change?
What support gear are you using with it, and does it reflect the quality of the pistol?

I am kinda assuming an autoloader in a duty caliber, carried somewhere on the waistline, but if you find that you perform best with a 340PD secured behind your bootlaces I would like to know why an unconventional approach is working "better".

Here goes mine:
HK P30 v3, Straight 8 tritium sights.
Still waiting on holsters to come in.

Currently wearing an X400, as it is pulling bedroom defense until said holsters arrive, after which it will get an X300.
Primary duty is concealed carry at 3:00 to 4:00 (I'm experimenting with a j-frame AIWB) for consistency between CCW, duty use, and when fully jocked up in armor.

It has the most efficient ergonomics I have experienced with a pistol. I am almost as effective weak hand as I am strong hand (at least as far as manipulations :D).
It is very accurate. Semi-rested with a laser I punched in a 3" 5 shot group at 25 yards. This is on par with my ability with the M9 and better than the G19, though I rarely do dedicated precision at 25 yards.

I'm not sure which grip panels I have in it right now, but after switching them in and out, I came to a setup that felt good with both hands and encouraged my thumb away from the slide catch while in a 2-handed grip.

I really wanted the TG setup (v4, I believe), and I may still try to swap parts to get it, but I kinda like the DA/SA as it keeps me current with the unique aspects of that trigger for when I teach those with DA/SA guns. Still, every time I drop a WHO DA press on the Dot Torture I can't help but wonder if I would have done the same with the tuned LDA.
I considered getting the P30L for "duty" use, but after spending time with the standard P30, I don't think that it will really make any difference.
I am really disappointed by Safariland's lack of offerings for the P30 (6004 with X300 or X400, and an ALS with same, please). I personally feel that the 6004 is the best "tactical" holster so far, and I really like the ALS models for exposed belt wear, and I really prefer to have a light attached if possible. Lacking these options I am forced to go with the custom kydex makers that (understandibly) take a looooong time to deliver.

I have used M9s, Glocks (G19, 23, 17, and 35) and P226s fairly extensively. Ergonomically, the P30 wins or ties on every comparison. I have had several M9s with better DA pulls, but the slide mounted safety/decocker (along with other issues) gives me heartburn. I appreciate what Glocks are, but the P30 feels like the Glock concept evolved, especially as far as ambidexterous use and control access. I am ok with "good" Sigs, but the decocker and slide release were constant annoyances.

Now, I'm not an HK or P30 fanboy by any means, but so far, for me, the P30 best meets my needs and wants.

Well, I've shown mine...

JAD
08-02-2011, 05:00 PM

I had a NP3'd Colt LWC in .45 ACP that I was awfully fond of. The guy who fit the beavertail wound up being my best man, and that Colt was his groom's gift. I attempted to replace it with a .38 Super LWC, but even after some heavy work by Wilson it's still a nine millimeter, and despite how cool, quick, and accurate it is I wind up wishing it was .45. Hence my recent purchase of a Dan Wesson CCO. It needs some love and a long break-in, but I'm hopeful that I'll wind up being as enamored of it as I was that NP3'd gun.

Joe in PNG
08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Welp, my past regular CCW piece has been a Browning .25acp in a pocket holster. However, in light of events and new knowledge, I may have to upgrade when I return to the USA- I'm thinking Glock 26.

JHC
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I've been CCW since '81 at which time I started with a 6" S&W .41 mag - IWB yet; because that's all I had. But over the years I've worked hard at the carry of snub .38's, .25 experiments for NPEs, BHP, P7s, lots of 1911 time, and several more options but the list is boring. For about 10 years or a little more it's been a Glock 19 and that works out to my preferred. IWB 4:00 mostly but a lot of time with AIWB also.

The final sealed the deal moment came with comparing the experience of running a TRP in action pistol matches vs a Glock 9mm. I could make fast Azone hits faster with the Glock 9mm and the magazine capacity to reload less frequently. Glocks always "pointed" well for me and their ergo's always suited me.

These days I have a slight preference for my reliable through 3800 rds Gen 4 G19 or likewise through 7600 rds Gen 4 G17 but one of the Gen 3 G19s would run a close 2nd with an edge for an RTF2 G19.

Warren tritium sights (optionally the .220 tall Ameriglo Hack front) and a butt plug is it for their exteriors. I like the minus connector in the Gen 4's which get the trigger down to neer peer of a std Gen 3.

I find these just the easiest to hit with fast and carry easily daily.

Some years ago I stopped concerning myself with caliber (thanks to DocGKR and David DeFabio for the most part).

JodyH
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
H&K P2000 9mm LEM
Much like the Glock 19, the P2000 is the perfect size envelope for daily concealed carry.
Big enough to fight with, small enough for all day carry.
It's my do it all, go to pistol.
A close second is my Kahr K9, what it gives up in capacity it makes up for in its slim profile and shootability.

08-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I currently run an older P226 (almost as old as me). For me, it is easier to shoot it more accurately and just as fast as I can a Glock (which is what I used to carry, when I get to choose), I think mostly due to the DA/SA trigger. The controls do not give me any problems, in fact I prefer the location of the slide release to that of the Glock. It also seems to conceal better than a fullsize Glock. Not sure why.

Outside of this P226, Glock is the only other platform I have extensive experience with, so I imagine down the road all this will change.

WDW
08-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Sig P226 E2 9mm DA/SA

Having actually used a pistol in a self defense situation, I appreciate the few extra lbs. a first DA pull provides someone who is about alter their life forever. I train with it and am pretty proficient with the DA pull (I love Dot Torture & FAST)

jslaker
08-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I love my USPc LEM, and it still carries more comfortably for me than anything, but the simple fact of the matter is that I shoot SFA guns better. So I'm moving to an M&P. I really like it, but I'm definitely in the camp that wishes Smith would make a G19 size variant. The compact is just plain too small for my hands and the full size can be a little cumbersome for somebody that usually has to wear tucked in shirts.

I loved my P226, but I never did care to carry it. Sweet shooting gun, but the slide stop is in the wrong place and it just didn't carry comfortably for me. But I never bought it as anything other than a range piece.

JDM
08-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Given the option, I'd carry my Smith and Wesson 1076 again. However I'm priced out of the 10mm market.

I absolutely love that pistol. Excellent, albeit heavy DA trigger, and just about the perfect size for me.

I also like the versatility that 10mm brings to the table.

A close second is my .357M&P. Tack driver. Again, with the amount I shoot, I'm priced out of this gun as well.

Alas, it's 9mm for me.

DocGKR
08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Since 1985, at various times I have been issued, qualified with, or authorized to carry the Beretta 92F/M9, Sig P226/228 & P220, S&W 3rd gen pistols, Glock 9mm's, S&W M&P's, various 1911’s, as well as several S&W revolvers including J, K, L , and N-frames. I also have a fair degree of experience with Browning Hi-Powers, Glock 22/23 & 21, various HK pistols. I have been certified as an armorer on several of these systems. All of these handguns had both good and bad characteristics.

For CCW, a pre-2010 3rd gen G19 is hard to beat. I stipple the frame and add the Vickers mag catch, Vickers slide release, Scherer "slug" butt plug, Glock "-" connector, Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's), and 8 MOA RMR02 w/suppressor height BIS--SF X300 when a weapon light is needed.

For a duty pistol, I like the M&P40 w/ambi-safety and add the Apex Duty Kit, 10-8 magazine base plates, stippled frame and backstrap, 8 MOA RMR02 w/suppressor height BIS, and SF X300. I am currently running an M&P45 set-up as noted in the previous sentence; the M&P is the first pisol I've liked enough to compel me to abandoned my beloved 1911's that I relied on daily since I was commissioned in 1986 until January of 2011...

In all honesty, of all the pistols I have ever used the M&P has fast become my favorite--they are quite reliable right out of the box like a Glock, but are nearly as accurate as my custom 1911's. Most of all, I like that M&P's are modern, modular, reliable, ergonomic, inexpensive, easily serviced alternatives to a 1911.

I use the same type of holsters for all pistols. For AIWB/IWB at 1-3 o'clock the CCC Looper and Fricke Archangel/Seraphim work well for my needs. For OWB at 3 o'clock I like the Fricke Gideon Elite, Alessi DOJ open port, and Raven Phantom--the Comp Tac belt holster is also OK. I use a modified Safariland 6004 with shortened hanger and one leg strap when wearing tactical armor.

Dagga Boy
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I'll quote my best friend who has a extensive background in doing very bad things to lots of very bad people.

"I like to carry a Glock and fight with a 1911." Sums it up pretty well.

I actually have this pretty well figured out these days.

Service guns
9mm-Glock 17, 19, or 17 chopped for 19 mags.
.45ACP-HK45C

Enthusist Guns
9mm-Hk P7
.45ACP-1911

Outdoors stuff-Big Bore revolver

Everything else is pride of ownership at this point.

TGS
08-02-2011, 08:55 PM
HK P2000 in 9mm with a DA/SA trigger. I chose it over the P30 as I feel the P30's grip texture is too rough against my bare skin(I don't wear undershirts) and the grip on the P30 is just *that* much too long for me to comfortably conceal unless I'm wearing certain clothing that I'd prefer to not wear everytime I go outside. During the winter I can conceal more with heavier clothing/jackets, so I use 16 round German Police mags instead of the 13 round mags, so I'm literally "one-up" on a P30 for the cooler months :) I also don't care for the long slide releases on the P30. Everyone says to just change your grip, but I'm simply a mere mortal and make mistakes every once in a while. I especially don't want to rely on a perfect grip in an imperfect world to make my weapon function properly. This is another reason I made the choice for HK given their paddle mag releases, because I find myself able to easily drop a magazine on weapons equipped with button releases if I get all butterfingered and grip it incorrectly. A proper grip might not be feasible when someone is tackling you...sometimes shit happens, IMO. This translates into my lazy-carry gun, as well. I opted for a J-frame as I found myself dropping mags on mouse guns even with a proper grip.

I make a hammered handgun a priority, leading me to the P2000 instead of the Glock, P99/PPQ, or M&P platforms. I feel it's the best concealed carry hammered handgun available for my preferences when compared against the competition. JodyH puts it best-big enough to fight with, small enough to carry everyday.

KeeFus
08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
For the past 16 years I've carried either a 9mm or a .45 ACP as my primary. Name brands: Sig, S&W, H&K USP (either Comp or fullsize), and Glock...all provided by the agency I was employed with. I do not like the HK. The compact we currently carry is just too top heavy and the grip is too small for my meat hooks...we are getting M&P 45's in the coming weeks, which is a relief to me. The Sig P226 was a tack driver and was very reliable. The 5906 was a piece of crap and was replaced by a full size USP .45. The Glock 21 was a Gen 2 and is currently waiting to be returned to me...hopefully soon. Very reliable and worked like a freaking sewing machine when I needed it, at that time it was about 12 years old and had never been re-sprung or detail stripped by an armorer...awesome weapon. That one weapon is why I'm a Glock fan now.

I prefer a G-19 and carry it in a Comp-Tac minitor. If its winter I wear it in a Safariland ALS. My 19 has proven itself reliable and never malfunctioned. It is bone stock minus the Heinie Straight 8's. I do carry a 442 but its not my favorite carry piece.

Competition is a G-17....it's not stock... ;)

ToddG
08-02-2011, 09:47 PM

I am torn between the P30 and the G17. If forced to choose I'd probably opt for the P30.

The P30 is incredibly reliable and durable, insanely accurate, and the LEM trigger system works very well for me. The downsides are parts replacement both in terms of availability and complication of the mechanism; and, availability of aftermarket support.

There are things I do better with the Glock (blind splits, for example) but overall nothing has worked as well for me as the P30.

And not to sound cheezy, but if not for the gadget (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?712-The-Gadget-REVEALED) (patent pending, offer void where prohibited by law, no shirt no shoes no service) then the G17 wouldn't even be in the running.

What have you used in the past that was surpassed by your current (or desired) pistol.

Beretta, Browning, Glock, HK, SIG, and S&W. All had their benefits and their disadvantages.

How is the pistol performing compared to your initial expectation and what do you still want to change?

In terms of the P30's basic design:

shorter reset; while not a deal breaker it is certainly nicer to have it than not and it would be a very easy change for HK to make if they'd just listen
beveled magazine well; again, this would be very easy to change if HK would just listen to shooters
option for lower profile slide release levers to accommodate shooters who habitually ride the lever and fail to get lockback
rethink some of the basic components and build them as complete parts assemblies; I've already showed HK how they could make both the trigger return spring and the elbow (LEM) spring much more user friendly, for example
Additionally, HK USA must continue to push Germany for greater spare parts inventories and invest in getting more customization/improvement options on the market. If I were running HK, I'd pay Apex to get some stuff put together for the P30 and HK45 yesterday. I'd pay Trijicon, Ameriglo, etc. to offer some shooter-friendly sight options. Etc.

LOKNLOD
08-02-2011, 11:01 PM
F2S - Good to see you here, dude :cool:

For the past year, I've been shooting my P30 (light V4 LEM) with Heinie's (orange painted front) exclusively. For the first few months I still carried my G19 or G26 due to making sure the P30 was going to run right and, more notably, waiting on a proper holster for the HK to arrive. I've been carrying it AIWB since last December.

I moved away from the Glocks because I thought it was solving some issues I was having shooting them, with adding a level of comfort to try AIWB as a secondary benefit. In retrospect the real shooting benefit has probably been more due to the extra effort put into shooting than simple ergonomic differences. Really though the AIWB has made a bigger (positive) difference in the comfort and frequency of my carry habits. It works so much better for me it's no comparison. I spend a lot of my carrying time squatting, bending, and picking up little kiddos so constantly printing plus it means I can carry them on my hip withoutsitting on the butt of the pistol. I can conceal a P30 better AIWB better than a G26 on my side. And while it's true that plenty of folks are carrying a Glock AIWB successfully I just can't reach that level of comfort with carrying - and especially practicing - without that little extra level of feedback from the exposed hammer.

Beyond the carry method factors, I really am pleased with the P30. I know not everyone loves the trigger but I find I toss less wild shots with it than with a Glock. I think this is due to the longer constant pull vs. the slack-to-snap of the Glock. It took a slight adjustment in my grip to not ride the slide lever, but the large ambi controls make weak hand only manipulations and reloads easier. The ergos of the grip are comfortable, and much more importantly the combination of shape and texture helps me keep a better grip during longer strings of fire - something I always had trouble with on my Glocks. And last but not least I am in love with the paddle mag release.

I haven't been able to go through with it quite yet, but I'm this close to selling off (most of) the Glocks to get a couple spare HKs...

TCinVA
08-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Right now, the P30 because it functions reliably and allows me to reholster with a significantly reduced chance of blowing a hole in myself.

What have you used in the past that was surpassed by your current (or desired) pistol.

The 1911 was easier to make hits with...but in terms of pistol skill I'm much farther ahead now than when I was carrying the 1911.

Initially I found that I anticipated less with the P30. After X thousand rounds through it I find that I anticipate way too much but generally with a smaller margin of error than with other pistols I've run. In other words, I miss by a couple of inches instead of several on tight targets.

What would I change:

1. I'd make the slide release levers smaller. Every now and then I still get a failure to lock back because my hands depress the lever.
2. Working on the P30 can be a pain in the ass. Finding someone qualified to work on the P30 can be a pain in the ass.
3. Holster, sight, and laser options are limited to non-existent. That sucks. Thankfully I have access to good concealment gear which is really all I care about.
4. Bevel the mag well.
5. Since I'm wishing, I wish it had 2 more rounds in the magazine.

What support gear are you using with it, and does it reflect the quality of the pistol?

CCC "Looper" or "Shaggy" AIWB holster for everyday carry. Various mag pouches for magazines. I have a Safariland ALS to use on those rare training class occasions where I'm not carrying concealed.

The P30 isn't my dream gun because of the above factors, but it's the best compromise of features, reliability, durability, and practicality I could buy off the shelf. I just lube it occasionally, load it, and shoot it. It is capable of fantastic accuracy:

That's a 5 shot group offhand at 25 yards with a called flyer low. I anticipated on that shot. The other 4 are in essentially one hole. Now do I shoot all my 25 yard groups like that? Hell no...that's why I took a picture. The pistol itself is capable of far more accuracy than I can hope to wring out of it. Not strictly necessary, but nice to have if you can get it.

Failure2Stop
08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
TC-
Interestingly, if I go super slow (weaker grip, snail pace on trigger finger, super pretty front sight), I get small groups at 25 yards (I have not shot one as small as your 4-shot group) in the same place as your tiny group.
If I get a bit more aggressive and into a cadence, I shoot a bit larger groups to POA.
What sights do you have on yours?

TCinVA
08-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Heinie "Quik" sights. With most FMJ ammo they tend to shoot high, requiring an almost 6:00 hold.

JV_
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Heinie "Quik" sights. With most FMJ ammo they tend to shoot high, requiring an almost 6:00 hold.
With my P30 & Heinie sights it was drive-the-dot inside of 10Y, and center hold out to 35Y.

Jason
08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I would prefer to carry a Phaser.

Savage Hands
08-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I've consolidated to the M&P platform and 9mm so I carry my Apex worked over M&P's with the 9c about 90% of the time. Hell i'm just happy to have a California CCW :D

JV_
08-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I've consolidated everything down to 9mm Glocks, which is exactly where I was 3 years ago. I prefer the 9mm Gen3 19 but can easily change to a Gen3 17. It's easy to conceal, I shoot it well, and it's reliable. All of my Glocks wear Heinie sights and ride in a Shaggy.

I've gotten rid of my P30s and M&P 9mm guns. There are things I miss from each gun, like the ergos and mag release from the P30, or the flatter shooting M&P.

The Glock 17/19 offers me the fewest compromises that impact my ability to drive the gun well.

HeadHunter
08-03-2011, 07:30 PM
It doesn't have to be what you are carrying right now, but I assume that if you have grown a distinct preference it is for a good reason. What have you used in the past that was surpassed by your current (or desired) pistol.

A Taurus PLY22 (.22LR). I am carrying it now, it's in my pocket. I put it on when I get up to go for my walk in the morning and I take it off when I go to bed.

It has much better sights than the Beretta 21A I was using and holds one more round. The magazine design is an improvement over the Beretta's so its feeding and chambering are noticeably more reliable.

I am extremely happy with it. For a pistol of its type, its reliability is amazing and due to the sights, I can do really good work with it. I would like to take out the magazine safety and perhaps put a Covert Carry sleeve on it. The Covert Carry grip for the Beretta is an excellent unit but the Taurus will need the rubber sleeve instead.

Uncle Mike's IWB and pocket holsters. They fit the mission of the pistol and work just fine for me.

Failure2Stop
08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Head Hunter:
Is there a reason you are carrying such a small pistol, personal or professional?
I'm just curious since most of us are going with "duty" ammo (basically 9X19mm through .45 ACP) your choice for a .22 LR seems to be a size/concealability issue.
Interested in your reply.

Andy T
08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Khar PM9 carried in a pocket holster. This choice is driven primarily by compromise towards comfort. Even after five years of CCW, I find IWB holsters to me less than comfortable for long periods of time. As a result, I gravitate to either OWB or pocket carry. In addition, I "worry" less about printing, etc when pocket carrying.
I find PM9 to be a better choice over the j-frame in terms of caliber and manual of arms.
Outside of PM9, I standardized on Glocks and prefer either Glock 26 or 19 for carry when concealment/comfort are not at issue.
I also used to carry P99C but sold it because I wanted to standardize on Glocks.

dhunley1
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
M&P9c with Apex DCAEK.

In my experience it's the perfect size for concealed carry. It's very accurate and has never let me down.

jlw
08-04-2011, 01:44 PM
My most often carried pistol both on and off duty is a Glock 38. I prefer the Glock platform for as a defensive tool, and I like having a .45 round, but even the SF models are too big for my liking; so, the GAP is a perfect solution for me. I also have an affinity for wheelguns; so, I do sometimes carry a S&W K frame.

For times when I need deep concealment, I carry either a S&W J frame or a Glock subcompact.

Gadfly
08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
When I first got my CCW, I had Para-Ord P14, and a Kimber compact 1911. I carried on occation, but not every day. Mostly IWB. They were both rather heavy, and the finish did not stand up well to the Texas summer. Now, working as a LEO, I don't get much of a choice. Primary firearm issued is a SIG 226 or 229 in DAK (or optional purchase DA/SA). For backup, we can be issued a Sig 239 DAK, or personally purchase a Glock 26, HK p2000sk, or a J frame Smith. We can not carry whatever we want just because are off duty.

That being said, I have my personal Glock 26 with me from the time I wake up, until I go to bed. It goes with me everywhere, with a 10 round mag in it, and at least 1 15 round spare. I have it in an ankle holster right now. But on the weekend I will carry it IWB at 3-4 o'clock, or in a pocket holster. On Duty, when we are going to roll out of the office, I wear the Sig (per policy), always in at 3 o'clock in a Bianchi auto lock.

My selection is obviously limited. I owned a p2000sk .40 LEM for about two months. I could easily qualify with it, but I just did not like the trigger reset. It was very snappy recoil. I had a Smith 637, and it had horible sights like all J frames tend to have. I could qual with high scores, but I just did not like it enough to keep it. The Glock worked out the best. Best price, best ergonomics (for me), and best selection of sights and holsters. I run it with a standard connecter and a NY1 (olive) trigger spring.

If I had 100% freedom of choice in want to carry, it would still be a Glock, it just might be a 19 for plain clothes, and a 17 or 22 for the Duty Rig...

Kevin B.
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I run a customized 1911, usually with an X300 attached. On the rare occassions I carry IWB, I use a virtually identical 1911 without the rail.

I came to the 1911 after over a decade of shooting traditional DA 9mms, primarily M9s and SIGs. After making the move to the 1911, I switched to the Glock 19 for a few years but ultimately I decided to move back to the 1911.

While the 9mms all yeilded slightly faster splits, the two areas that the 1911 really shined for me were in presentations from position #3 and low-percentage shots. In all other areas my performance was nearly identical. I am almost a full tenth of a second faster out of position #3 and about 20% more accurate on low-percentage shots at speed. That is what really drove my decsion to move back to the 1911.

Many of the pistols that I would consider moving to now were not available when I first moved to the 1911. I cannot find anything my pistols do not do well enough that would justify the time and expense of changing to a different pistol. Admittedly, I have more of a maintenance requirement but it is really not that onerous.

My only complaint would be the limited magazine capacity, but I do not consider it to be a major issue.

Failure2Stop
08-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I run a customized 1911, usually with an X300 attached. On the rare occassions I carry IWB, I use a virtually identical 1911 without the rail.

Kev, good to see you posting on this topic.

What has prevented you from going to a different platform in .45?
I'm assuming that the .45 is your preferred caliber, or is it the 1911 trigger that you prefer?
Is it simply that you already have it and know it, and changing platforms is more trouble than gain in performance?

JonInWA
08-04-2011, 03:32 PM
My normal preference is either a Glock G17, G19, or G21.

I've been logging a lot of carry, match and practice time on my Beretta 92D this year due to a combination of factors (professional commitments and the undeniable fact that the 92D is a consistant nightstand gun). It's a very good gun, but my overall preference it still towards my Glocks.

Best, Jon

Kevin B.
08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Caliber was not a significant factor in my decision. I happily ran 9mms for quite a while without issue and I would not hesitate to use one today.

In terms of performance, in my hands the 1911 is on par or slightly ahead of the other pistols I have tried. The only place I am seeing a decrease in performance is with my splits and, while I would agree that in general faster is better, I am not going to fret over a couple hundreths of a second. The gains I get with a 1911 out of position #3 or on a tight shot matter more to me. I attribute those gains to the trigger.

The reason for not changing is that I am not sure what I would change to. I am significantly invested in the 1911 platform both in terms of money and time. I have pistols that run reliably, though with a bit more maintenance required. If I felt there was something substantial to be gained, then I would make the switch. I just do not see another platform that offers a substantial enough benefit in performance to justify a change.

JFK
08-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I have been carrying a full sized 1911 for the past 4 years. (believe it or not it is very left hand friendly) However I have been a little tired of the weight and the more I shoot and train the more the "enthusiast pistol" upkeep has been coming into play.

In the last few months I have been shooting IDPA with my M&P and it has proven to be very shootable and friendly. I have been carrying and practicing with only it for the past month and almost positive it will become a primary carry piece. I really like the way it shoots and handles. Lower weight and higher cap it nice too. It did take some working to get it where I want it. (Burwell magic and some Apex bits)

MD7305
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I was issued a Sig 229 .40 over six years ago and that is my involuntary carry gun. It's a great gun and after the training I've had with it I really appreciate it. It has proven reliable and is easlily concealed with the right holsters. Over those years I've gone through a fair share of off-duty weapons varying from Glock 19/23s, P229s, P220s, and most recently a HK P30. During that time and those different pistols I've come to the conclusion I need to carry the P229 exclusively to become more proficient with it. I struggle to get range time and divinding it between trying to learn two varying platforms has been counterproductive. I prefer the mid-size Glock series of handguns because I feel that I can shoot them effortlessly compared to my P229 or my P30 but until my administrator has a change of heart about Glocks and or approving personal weapons for duty I'm relying on the Sig. As far as caliber that's purely because that's what I'm given and I follow it because I take ammo where I can get.

Super J
08-05-2011, 01:39 AM
I started ccw'ing in the mid 90s with a S&W 915. I gave the pistol away and replaced it with a Sig 229 and 230 combo. All was fine with my primary 229 in .40 until my girlfriend bought me a G17. I really liked the light weight and higher round count of the G17 even though I did not find it as accurate as my 229. Along comes my P30 and my G17 gets sold. Somehow I end up at a Glock armorers course and fall in love again with the Glock platform and I've parked my P30 and I'm back to Glock for ccw with a Gen 4 17 with x300 as my primary.

Rappahannock
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
After an incident in the woods of rural Virginia that scared me badly, I became interested in carrying a weapon about 20 years ago. A long and extremely expensive period followed of trying various kinds of handguns, from the idiotic AMT backup to revolvers large and small and various types of autos. It has all come down to these three: a Walther PPK (summertime when nothing larger will suit), a Walther PPS, and a Browning High Power in the winter.

The PPS is the best combination of comfortable carry, reliability and accuracy that I have found, and I am always astonished that Mr. Glock never produced a pistol of this scale. The Browning is mostly when I can easily wear a shoulder holster under a jacket and remains my go-to gun when we arrive at the bottom line.

Before everybody jumps on me about proper holsters and a full-size 1911 "disappearing under a t-shirt," and firearms should be "comforting, not comfortable," I have a problem with a pinched nerve that affects how and what I carry. For me, these three are the very best I have found at the end of a long, tiresome, and hugely expensive search.

JAD
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
...my involuntary carry gun

Great line. What holster wound up working best for you?

MD7305
08-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Great line. What holster wound up working best for you?

Duty: Safariland 070 SSIII-department mandated.

Off Duty: I've used several but my current favorites are the CCC Shaggy, a user-modified Comp-Tac 2o'clock (some hate it but it works well for me and conceals better than the Shaggy), and a Safariland ALS 6377. I found a Dale Fricke Archangel that should arrive soon that I'm anxious to try.

HeadHunter
08-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Head Hunter:
Is there a reason you are carrying such a small pistol, personal or professional?
I'm just curious since most of us are going with "duty" ammo (basically 9X19mm through .45 ACP) your choice for a .22 LR seems to be a size/concealability issue.
Interested in your reply.
.22s and similar mouseguns have worked well for me in the past. By standardizing on a small pistol that I can carry 16/7, I don't think I will become a "Hindi Incident."

I shot the SC CWP Qual Course this afternoon with a .22 317 as a demo. It did the job quite well.

SecondsCount
08-06-2011, 12:08 AM
I have gone through a lot of guns over the years-

Taurus PT99AF
S&W 4506, 5906, 645, 745, 39, 4013, M&P40, M&P45c
Kahr E9, K9
Ruger Vaquero and Blackhawk
Colt King Cobra, Detective Special
Sig P226 and P220
Lots of 1911s from Norinco, Colt, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Kimber, and Springfield
CZ 75B 40S&W
Glock 19
HK P30 LEM 9mm

At this point in time if it came down to one, it would probably be the Les Baer 1911. I have the most experience with the 1911, know how to keep it running reliably, reload for it, and shoot the best with it. They are heavy but I don't notice the weight as much as how slim they feel. Any of the polymer pistols feel thick to me but once again, experience may have something to do with this.

The HK P30 is growing on me and I have been carrying it more and more. It is the first HK I liked besides the P7M8 and has the potential of becoming #1. 9mm feels wimpy but I guess I should get over it. :eek:

The other two guns I really like are the M&P45c and the Kahr. I heard a lot of people raving about the M&P45c and thought it was silly how they wished S&W would make the same package in 9mm. When I bought the 45c I started feeling the same way, it is a nice package, like a G19 with better ergos. The Kahr is the go-to gun when I need to hide something and don't have a lot of options. I just don't do revolvers very well and the Kahr fills the niche nicely.

Jay Cunningham
08-06-2011, 12:20 AM

I am kinda assuming an autoloader in a duty caliber, carried somewhere on the waistline, but if you find that you perform best with a 340PD secured behind your bootlaces I would like to know why an unconventional approach is working "better".

Gen 3 Glock 19.

Big enough for a "service" pistol, small enough to conceal. Enough gun.

Shot some random bullshit in the past but jumped on Glock 19 and stayed with Glock 19. Tried M&P9 but meh.

Still rocks, only thing left I want to change is to relieve under the trigger guard because I still get Glock knuckle even after 5 years.

I use RCS holster and mag carrier, also use a CCC Shaggy and ready Tactical mag carrier as well.

F-Trooper05
08-06-2011, 03:23 AM
V1 LEM P30 with Heinie Straight Eights carried in either an R.Grizzle IWB or an RCS Phantom.

It has it's weak points (such as a sub-par trigger, an obnoxious slide catch, and a lack of spare parts), but it's bomber reliability is enough to keep it on my hip day after day. If I had to pick something else it would be a G19, and it's not even close.

Comedian
08-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Glock 19 RTF2 with 17 rd mags, in a fanny pack for summer and Raven Phantom in winter. I can't stand IWB. Loaded with Winchester T 124gr +p.

Cosmo M3
08-07-2011, 06:17 PM
HK USP .40 Compact LEM is my preferred carry.

I was a little worried about carrying a "bulkier" weapon at 4 o'clock compared to my previous carry weapon: the Glock 19. Also the USPc carried 10 rounds (2004 manufactured year during the ban) so I was a little worried about capacity compared to the Glock's 15 rounds.

All my misconceptions about bulk and firepower went out the window after I replaced my Comp-Tac MTAC G19 kydex shell with a USPc mold, then bought two magazines of the newer 12 round capacities (extended finger rest and a flat base place).

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6016/6012499961_94143d8fd3_b.jpg

Holsters makes the biggest difference in the world.

JAD
08-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Holsters makes the biggest difference in the world.

I think it was Jack Furr who told me "with a good holster you can conceal a box of wheaties."

jslaker
08-08-2011, 09:15 AM
HK USP .40 Compact LEM is my preferred carry.

I have one on my hip right now. :D

RE: size - the 9/40 USPc is very near identical in overall dimensions to the G19, especially since you have the flat baseplates on your mags. I've always found it interesting that it has a reputation for being a "big" gun, while the G19 doesn't.

Cosmo M3
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I have one on my hip right now. :D

RE: size - the 9/40 USPc is very near identical in overall dimensions to the G19, especially since you have the flat baseplates on your mags. I've always found it interesting that it has a reputation for being a "big" gun, while the G19 doesn't.

The USP's taller design can cause some misconceptions about size.

Texcowboy
08-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I always carry one of my Glocks. The G33 and G36 during hot weather in a DeSantis Insider with jeans or BDU pants and an untucket T shirt. In cooler weather when I can wear a jacket or vest, then I rotate my G20SF, G21SF RTF2, G30, G32, G33 or maybe the G17GEN4 that is my range gun. I have various IWB and OWB holsters with a couple of Remoras on the way that I am anxious to try.

Robert Mitchum
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
XDM-9
HK-45
One of my friends when ever I can
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/cjstinks/ry400.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/cjstinks/100_2137.jpg

JHC
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Presa Canarios or Hounds of Eisengard? :) Awesome pics.

Robert Mitchum
08-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the nice words !!!!!
They are a breeding more for CQB work.
Good family dogs and calm until they need to do some damage.
Presa Canarios are awesome dogs but JMO not the best protection dogs.
I have friends that have Fantastic Presa Canarios that are true manstoppers and they have stable good dogs.

Presa Canarios or Hounds of Eisengard? :) Awesome pics.

Robert Mitchum
08-12-2011, 11:49 PM
The big Monster is a Presa mix ..
A friend of mine is getting a pup shipped to him from them.
Comes around 2 Mins into the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71MjawsUqwo&feature=youtu.be

Tamara
08-13-2011, 07:19 AM
...I rotate my G20SF, G21SF RTF2, G30, G32, G33 or maybe the G17GEN4 that is my range gun. I have various IWB and OWB holsters with a couple of Remoras on the way that I am anxious to try.
Out of curiosity, why the rotation?

goneal
08-13-2011, 08:54 AM
I'll quote my best friend who has a extensive background in doing very bad things to lots of very bad people.

I actually have this pretty well figured out these days.

Service guns
9mm-Glock 17, 19, or 17 chopped for 19 mags.
.45ACP-HK45C

Enthusist Guns
9mm-Hk P7
.45ACP-1911

Outdoors stuff-Big Bore revolver

Everything else is pride of ownership at this point.

What the hell does that even mean?

smithjd
08-13-2011, 09:58 AM
My first pistol at 18 was a Colt Government and I shot in USPSA. Sold that for a matched pair of Steve Wood's Officers Models and I shot them from concealment at the USPSA nationals in 1990. I was not a gamer... As an aside, I saw Jerry Barnhart win with one of the first red dot scoped pistols, first time ever I think.

Then got hired and was issued a S&W 659 in 9mm. Had the opportunity to shoot a fair amount of deer hit by cars. We started with the 147 gr subsonic FBI loads, which sucked appallingly at killing nearly dead critters. We switched to the Illinois SP 115 gr +p+ loads, which were better. The 659 wasn't much of a shooter's gun. Then the SO "upgraded" to .40 cal SIGMA's, which didn't run well at all, and were swapped out with "new and improved" SIGMA's, which ran better. All that left me with very little regard for S&W semiautos.

Then I was hired at the state and was issued G23's. I sold my 1911's and tried to forget about them. I never liked .40 Glocks (or any 40 at that) because of the recoil and less accuracy, and was able to carry my own G30 for ccw and G21 in the tac holster. They worked well, and I could shoot them well, but it always seemed like I had to WORK at it more, and they felt like you were holding the wrong end of the baseball bat.

I decided to try a 1911 again for personal shooting and bought a Springfield MC Operator and the 1911 bug bit back. I was able to audit a federal agencies 1911 transition course with it and it represented well. I wish I'd saved my last target, the one on which they wrote that I'd never be allowed to come back and shoot with them ever again, not in so many words.

A few years ago, our fleet of G23's were getting long in the tooth. I saw a lot of them break (slide lock springs, takedown lever springs = slide leaves gun, locking block pins break, and general fail to go bangs). Mike Fisher from S&W said "check out our new M&P's", I said, "NO THANKS" and told him of my experience with S&W. Mike, being the super guy he is and had heard this story before, was patient with me. Our agency tried them out and there was a strong preference for the .45 model after people shot them. Our agency now issues MP45 and MP45c and we are very happy with them. They are super accurate, easy to shoot and have been mostly reliable. There were a few with extractors too tight, but S&W replaced the entire slides just like that and they run great. I have a personal MP45 with the Apex kit and its a great gun. I'll have the boy start shooting that, so he doesn't have any 1911 baggage in his life.

However, I carry 1911's now. LVP-012 is in my tac holster because while it is very reliable and accurate, it was the first time I touched a file to a gun and, well, I don't mind if it gets beat to hell. My EDC is a Colt Government Series 70 reissue I stripped down to frame and slide and rebuilt as a present to myself for 20 years OTJ, and as an ode to the 1980's Pachmayr, Heinie, Wilson era two-tone Cooperesque style customs. I don't shoot as much as I should or did, so carrying my 1911's helps me cheat, because they are easier to shoot.

Truth be told, I shoot the MP45 about as well as the 1911, but I like the way the 1911 FEELS (there's that word again) in my size 9 paws. Probably something about "primacy and recency" of training as well. Also, I can conceal the 1911 better in warmer weather than either the Glock or MP, because it is thinner. I've done UC and bought meth wearing a 5" 1911, with just a summer shirt covering it. The big gun has always garnered compliance from those on the other end, but maybe thats due more to me and my friends than the gun... If I lived in a different area (warmer / urban), I might be more inclined to carry a high capacity 9mm, but likely threats - who wear thick cold wx clothing, and critters make the .45 a good choice.

I'd love to carry AIWB, but it just didn't work with a 5" 1911, so I stay strong side hip, but just a little in front of the 3 o'clock line. I am waiting on an S&W .380 Bodyguard as a second gun and for outer pocket wear in the cold weather.

DocGKR
08-13-2011, 12:15 PM
smithjd--I started out using AIWB carry nearly 25 years ago when faced with the need to carry a service pistol (at various times in my military career a 1911, M9, or Sig P226/228) while wearing the Navy Service Dress Blue uniform--since the jacket is a double breasted type that could not be left unbuttoned, AIWB was the only option to allow easy access to the pistol. It also worked well with BDU/DCU uniforms when not wanting to appear armed, for example on MEDCAP's.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7355&filename=GKR%20AIWB%201911%20DCU.jpg

Lou Alessi made us some holsters (APX-IWB), as shown in the photo, with a slight reverse FBI cant that worked very well for this option--the only potential downside of the Alessi holster was the plastic "Talon" clip that secured it to the belt--although to be honest none ever broke or caused any problems for us.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7353&filename=Alessi%20APX-IWB.jpg

Likewise I have used AIWB for over a decade in the LE and civilian world, to carry 1911's, G19's, and most recently M&P45's w/ambi-safeties. During last year's Independence Day celebration, a couple of friends from the PD were teasing me about my uncharacteristically running around unarmed in just a hippie-cam T-shirt and shorts, as shown in the photo below--not realizing I was carrying a 5" 1911 AIWB in an Alessi holster, along with a couple of extra mags...

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7354&filename=GKR%20AIWB%201911.JPG

I currently use the superb Fricke Seraphim and CCC Looper holsters to carry an M&P45 or G19 AIWB/IWB each day strong side in the 1-3 o'clock range. BTW, it turns out that AIWB can be less comfortable when bike riding and on horseback...

Note that the pistols I have most frequently carried AIWB--1911's, G19's, and M&P's are either striker fired or cocked and locked. There will be NO problems if appropriate care and prudence is exercised while slowly re-holstering along with simultaneously tilting the holster AWAY from all critical anatomic areas that could be perforated or damage if the pistol inadvertently discharges. Much like other endeavors requiring error free performance such as flying, deep scuba diving, rock climbing, and performing surgery--DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE when doing this!

Corvus
08-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Started with a K frame Smith , then nothing but 5 inch 1911s until 2007 , purchased a few Glocks in 2007 to try out and carried either a Glock or a 1911 until a couple months ago , purchased a .40 M&P and have been working with it and will probably settle on the thumb safety model M&P as my primary.

I have owned a few others such as a Hi-Power , Officer's and Commander 1911s but only carried the ones listed above as my primary. Only reason I have for trying a model other than the 5 inch gov't model is mag capacity , I know it isn't likely to ever be an issue but twice the rounds is still nice to have on board.

Odin Bravo One
08-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Sig 226 in 9mm for the following reasons:

9mm ammunition is pretty cheap where I get it.
9mm has planted enough bad guys to eliminate any caliber debates.
It is reliable.
It has proven itself in the worst case conditions and evnvironments.
Plenty of parts and support for it.
Plenty of holsters for a variety of uses.
Big enough for serious duty use.
Small enough to conceal with the right holster/wardrobe choices.
Large magazine capacity.
I have more rounds through this model than all the others combined so I have managed to attain some level of proficiency.

And it works well for me.

Rex G
08-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I prefer a 4"-barreled revolving pistol, Ruger or S&W, with a moderate-width trigger with contoured corners that lets my
trigger finger roll across the face. I prefer a forward balance point, as opposed to a neutral balance. Why? These weapons make holes appear where I want them to appear, and the .357 Mag bores gruesome holes that tend to make bad guys stop what they are doing. A 3" SP101 has enough heft to impress me, making it almost as
comforting as its bigger brothers. My preferred revolver holster is the Milt Sparks PMK.

A decent substitute is a SIG P229 with the DAK trigger. My chief mandates certain .40 DA duty pistols, and of these the
P229 is the only one that fits me well. DAK is my option, and mimics my favored sixguns' triggers. I have three, pair and a spare. One has a rail, and my WML is an X200. My preferred auto holster, off the clock, is a Bulman FDS.

A 1911 would be my choice over the P229. I prefer to use only one model of auto-pistol, and train with it to a high level,
so my 1911 hibernates for now. I used a Galco Avenger or a now-unavailable G. Wm. Davis IWB to tote a 1911, until
2002. I obtained a Bulman FDS when I had a chance, because when I retire, I may revert to carrying a 1911.

My favored accessory? Not just an accessory, but an essential, is my Surefure LX2 Digital Lumamax.

smithjd
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks DocGKR. I think its just me. I've got a CCC Looper for the 5" 1911. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or not, but after a 700 mile day in the car, I developed a bruise, where no bruise should ever be, and it hurt for days, even after I went back to my regular holster. I had other problems with it too, like I couldn't bend over to pick up a dropped pen without shoving my right leg back straight out. I've got a Commander on the bench now. When that's done, I plan on shortening the Looper and trying it again.

When I wore a duty belt, I was able to move the holster forward, more about 1:30 - 2 o'clock, and it worked great. Draws were faster, retention was better, and I could sit in the car with it. That was ideal from drawing seated in a car even with the seat belt on, as well.

DocGKR
08-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Like you, for whatever body type/ergonomic reasons, AIWB at 1 o'clock does not work for me in vehicles--I do much better when I slide the holster back to about 3 o'clock and find I can access the pistol better from that location.

Long tom coffin
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Like you, for whatever body type/ergonomic reasons, AIWB at 1 o'clock does not work for me in vehicles--I do much better when I slide the holster back to about 3 o'clock and find I can access the pistol better from that location.

AIWB doesn't work for me at all, no matter what position sitting/standing/lying in. I ordinarily carry about 3:30 in an MTAC with my Gen4 g19. Gives me a nice, smooth and fast draw and is very easily concealable for me.

Apparently I'm one of the few people in the Gen4 G19's corner :)

Failure2Stop
08-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm pretty pleased about the thread so far.
One of the things I was interested in was how much general familiarity in a system overrides technical superiority.
For example, I shot a lot of 9mm through M9s and P226s, which are very similar in trigger feel.
I like the way a DA trigger works on presentation.
Enough that I made a conscious decision to get something with that first DA press (or at least a feeling of the movement of building pressure) to be my relied upon duty weapon.
I liked the G19, and I can spew out a litanny of reasons to choose it over other pistols, and the trigger feel was something I came to appreciate. The biggest improvements that made me go to another platform was ambi controls and external hammer (though with new products it isn't a factor today).
If those features were not a concern I could have gone a few different directions and have been perfectly happy, and I probably would be shooting a 226 right now.
At least I would have an easier time getting duty holsters with mounted lights :D

EVP
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I prefer a gen3 g19. I went to a gen3 g19 from a Hk 45c LEM for a few different reasons. I shot it better and it just fit me better. The size is perfect and it is light compared to the HK. Not to mention all the different options that are out there for the platform.

Long tom coffin
08-18-2011, 11:39 PM
My only real problem with the g19 is that I have brachydactyly type D (or "stub thumbs" in the common parlance) meaning it can be a little more difficult to me to hit the mag release with my thumb. Even with an extended release the gen 3 was an absolute bear, but with the larger gen 4 mag release button I don't have to twist the pistol in my grip quite as much.

ADKilla
08-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I've tried compact pistols, including the G23, Kahr P9, S&W Shorty Forty, and a 1911, and full-size pistols, including a 1911, SIG-Sauer P220, BHP, and a Beretta 92F. in the end, I prefer a full-size grip; my hand just seems to find it better under speed. Since the SIG and the Beretta tended to print more than the 1911 and the BHP, I got rid of them. At the same time, I consolidated and sold everything that wasn't a single-action auto for ease of training.

I tried the G17, and shot it very well. However I did not like the idea of a pistol without any safeties on it from a handgun retention POV.

I have settled on a the Wilson CQB-C for summer carry and the Wilson Ultralight Carry for the rest of the year worn AIWB in a Garret Silent Thunder with the heavy-duty clip. Coincidentally my wife carries the BHP now.

shep854
08-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Medium-caliber pistols that fit in my front trouser pocket. Right now, that's a J-49 Bodyguard, but when I'm able to practice frequently again, it will be my Kel-Tec PF9; if lots-a-shots makes me warm & fuzzy, I'll pull out the P-11. I'm comfortable with this caliber range, and for me pocket-carry offers unmatched versatility and ease of carry.

I've thought about .380 on occasion, since the latest ammo is considered on a par with .38Spl, but the pocket pistols are just a little too small for me to handle comfortably. I might still get one "just because", but it's down my want list.

DocGKR
08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
We have not yet seen any .380 ammo that is on par with a good .38sp loading...

YVK
08-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Currently carry G19 for all the reasons people carry G19. I switch to 1911 for 4 months or so to shoot 45 ACP and to shoot 1911, and then go back to 9 mm. Forced to choose one, 1911 would win on account of my cumulative performance with it and some features I find important.

I try to have training projects for upcoming calendar year (I train with what I carry), and I have two competing training/CCW projects for 2012; don't know which one is going to take precedence. One is to carry and shoot G19, but RDS-equipped one to figure this RDS thing for myself. The second is to carry and shoot a P30 LEM. I am leaning towards P30 for next year, leaving RDS thing for 2013.

My only other pistol, which was my first CCW, is P7M8. I barely carry or shoot it, but can't force myself to sell it.

MechEng
08-22-2011, 07:15 PM

The HK P30 V2 in 40 S&W with the non-LEM hammer spring and FPB spring installed. Heinie S8 QWIK night sights.

- It's very reliable
- Like the Glock 19, it’s sized just about right for concealed carry. Big enough to function as a full sized handgun but, small enough to conceal easily.
- Hammer fired for that added safety measure while re-holstering AIWB.
- Grips: With the interchangeable side panels and back straps you get 27 different permutations to customize and tune your grip configuration.

I’ve been carrying AIWB for quite awhile now so most of my handgun choices have been geared toward that style of carry. For the better part of a decade I was carrying a Browning High Power or Commander length 1911. The manual safety gave me some small bit of confidence to carry AIWB and reholster safely. But, as my experience level with AIWB carry grew, I became concerned that complacency may set in and a brain fart may occur with respect to the thumb safety position. The best way I can explain it is I never really grew comfortable carrying a cocked & locked pistol pointed at my junk or femoral artery. So I then switched to a Sig P229 with a DA/SA trigger for a short while but couldn’t get used to transitioning from a DA first shot to the SA for subsequent shots. I then decided to look at the Sig DAK or the HK LEM trigger. I decide to go with the P30 LEM, over the DAK, after shooting a friend’s HK P2000 LEM. While the DAK felt like a very light DA trigger, the LEM felt more like a two stage rifle trigger which I preferred and was already familiar with.

At this point I’m very happy with the P30 as I have it setup. If I were to desire anything more it would be a shorter trigger reset with a more pronounced tactile feel to the reset. While I’m thinking of a wish list, various incremental length slide releases would be nice so I could avoid the occasional “failure to lock the slide back” and match it up to my thumb reach.

I’ve had a Like-Hate-Like relationship with the P30. Initially I liked it because it’s accurate, reliable and the ergonomics are great. The magazine release was unfamiliar but I quickly warmed up to it. When I began to seriously practice and train with it I grew frustrated with the trigger pull. I was use to a single action trigger, had little experience with DA triggers and struggled to learn the LEM trigger. My expectations were that since this is a light DA trigger pull, that felt like a two stage trigger, I should be able to shoot with it at the same skill level as a SA trigger. After about a thousand rounds of dedicated practice, coaching from some folks that know how to shoot a DA trigger and ~1 million dry fires trigger pulls, I got better with it and now like the LEM Trigger a lot. So much so that I picked up a second 9mm P30 and set it up the same as the first.

I use the CCC Shaggy or one of my home made kydex holsters similar in design to the Shaggy, Looper, Bladetech taco formed holsters. For magazine pouches I use a Bladetech single magazine pouch with the clip removed and replaced with a homemade kydex loop that fits the belt width exactly. For a belt I’m usually wearing a 1.5” Wilderness, 5.11 or XYZ brand rigger/trainer/ tacticool belt. I prefer the rigger style belts over the leather belts w/holes because I have more control over how tight/loose the belt is.