PDA

View Full Version : Glock aftermarket barrel discussion thread

LittleLebowski
12-10-2014, 07:51 AM
I now have an urge for an aftermarket barrel in my Gen4 G17 :D

JV_
12-10-2014, 08:00 AM

I have Barsto barrels in mine. Unless you shoot lead it is not worth the money.

LittleLebowski
12-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Was pondering WC.

JV_
12-10-2014, 08:04 AM
I had one of those too.

JBP55
12-10-2014, 08:10 AM
I had one of those too.

I Had one also.

mizer67
12-10-2014, 11:16 AM

I've had good luck with aftermarket barrels (Barsto and Jarvis). I've seen about a 40-45% reduction in group size vs. stock for Gen4s at 25 yards for 10-round average groups and my Gen 4's weren't bad to start.

My Barsto chamber is tight though, very tight.

Savage Hands
12-11-2014, 09:02 AM

Is it fitted out of curiosity? I figured having a Gen 4 9mm capable of shooting a 1.5" group or better with good ammo would be a pleasant experience if you did your part.

BJJ
12-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Why? Just for fun or is there an issue with your current setup?

JV_
12-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Why did you guys get rid of them?

With the Wilson barrel, I saw almost no difference in accuracy, and it seemed to collect more lead than I'd like.

LittleLebowski
12-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Why? Just for fun or is there an issue with your current setup?

It might have been that new gun smell but the VP9 I shot seemed more accurate than my Gen4 G17.

Kyle Reese
12-11-2014, 09:39 AM

You're more than welcome to borrow my KKM barrel.

JV_
12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Is it fitted out of curiosity?I bought the semi-drop in barrels, two of them. The one for the 34 required minimal fitting to install, the one for the 17 needed a lot of fitting. I left the one in the 17 very tight, and there's no accuracy difference between the two.

The Wilson barrel dropped in, without issue. Perhaps that's why I found the BarSto barrels more accurate, they were fitted.

My BarSto barrels shot better groups than the one Wilson barrel I owned. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but my Gen4 guns were pretty accurate with the factory barrels. The accuracy improvements with aftermarket barrels just isn't worth the money, IMO. I upgraded because I shoot a lot of lead.

The BarSto and Wilson both have chambers with short throats, at least compared to the factory Glock barrels.

JV_
12-11-2014, 09:40 AM
If you had a stripped slide, for example one from Unity Tactical with an ATOM mount, what barrel would you guys choose?

BarSto.

JHC
12-11-2014, 09:46 AM
It might have been that new gun smell but the VP9 I shot seemed more accurate than my Gen4 G17.

It probably was. Between barrels, fitting and trigger. From the two I've dry fired: one shot heavily by that time and the other new in the store, they had dramatically lighter triggers by feel than any of our Gen 4s. And lighter triggers are almost always easier to shoot more accurately for precision at least and often for all sorts of shooting. Esp I think in relatively light polymer framed guns.

I read what seemed a pretty authoritative report that while some Glock barrels are dead nuts, some need a quick easy recrown to shoot lights out. IDK if that is valid.

Texaspoff
12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
I fitted a KKM in my 4th gen G19 and it was a noticeable difference in accuracy. I wanted to see if I could match the accuracy of a friends Salient G19 for less money. Here is a target from the other day. Top group 10 rounds, middle group 15 rounds both fired from 20 yards free hand a bit faster than one round per second, 115 Gr WWB. The bottom group 15 rounds same distance, but slow fire for best group. I did feel the flyers on the top and bottom groups, it was my fault not the pistols.
At 10 yards this G19 will put 15 rounds in one ragged hole without much effort. Trigger is a 3rg gen smooth trigger with a standard connector and slight polishing. While Glocks barrels are good barrels, a fitted barrel in a Glock will typically be more accurate than the factory one. I have also run several thousand rounds through it and not had a single reliability issue.

The G19
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/DSC_0025_zpsd8b34347.jpg

The target
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/Texaspoff/IMG_1725_zps8d7e50d0.jpg

TXPO

psalms144.1
12-11-2014, 10:23 AM
In an effort to get more accuracy out of my current Gen4 G19 (2012 production, TCE series #), I bought a KKM drop in barrel. My experiences were unpleasant. Not only did I experience no appreciable change in accuracy (which I'm becoming convinced in THIS Glock are a result of issues besides the barrel), but it took a normally reliable pistol and turned it into a reliability nightmare. Needless to say, after struggling to get through a 200 round range day, I took it out and it's never gone back in.

The more I work with Glocks, the more convinced I become that, especially in the newer models, accuracy is MUCH more a factor of tolerance stacking issues than barrel quality. YMMV, of course.

SpencerDS
12-11-2014, 10:28 AM
I have had some lone wolf barrels, and shot KKM, and WC's. WC's issues have already been addressed in this thread. Lone wolf are good barrels but not enough to make it worth replacing your stock barrel. However, if you are having accuracy issues and have narrowed it down to the barrel it may be worth it to you, or if you are doing a build, lone wolf's have served me well for these purposes, or caliber conversion. Or, if you have just shot that many rounds and feel you are due for a new barrel. Some may be anal and not like that they have to crank their sights all the way to the right to zero, so an aftermarket barrel should fix that. However, if you are doing it thinking they are more accurate than a stock barrel, I say you are wasting your time. Two options, have your stock glock barrel recrowned, I have heard and seen issues with glock not doing the best job of crowning their barrels. Second, from my experience and research, KKM barrels are more accurate than stock, by a small margin, but they are more expensive than others. Take Fred up on letting you borrow his, try it out and make your decision. Good luck!

EVP
12-11-2014, 10:32 AM
First I have no experience with aftermarket glock barrels but I have read many say that it's a toss up if a drop in barrel will improve accuracy.

Seems like if you want a aftermarket barrel that a fitted match barrel is the best option.

okie john
12-11-2014, 11:34 AM

A big part of the answer to your question depends what you want to achieve. If that’s a true match-grade 9mm pistol, then I’d start with something people figured out how to accurize a long time ago, like a 1911. If you want a Glock that's somewhat more accurate than a stock gun, then you’re on the right track.

I have two Gen3 G17s with fitted Wilson Combat barrels. I’ve compared WC barrels and OEM barrels in these guns and found that groups made with WC barrels are 30-50% smaller, but that this difference isn't readily apparent until ranges get beyond 25 yards. After several years of chasing accuracy in Glocks, a new barrel wouldn’t be my first step toward improving accuracy.

Setting aside software issues for a minute, I’d start by upgrading ammo, ideally to a handload that’s been optimized for your pistol. One of the G17’s mentioned above has made numerous 3” five-shot groups at 50 yards with cast-bullet handloads in the OEM barrel, which is well as it shoots good jacketed bullets in the WC barrel. I know Glocks aren’t supposed to work with cast bullets, but here we are…

If you don’t handload, then test factory ammo and pick the load your pistol shoots best. The accuracy difference between loads can be surprising.

I’d also refine the trigger by testing connectors and trigger springs, and I’d do a 25-cent trigger job.

All of this pertains to Gen3 guns, and will get you a pistol that’s about as accurate as the typical HK is out of the box.

I just picked up a Gen4 G17 for T&E. The first five shots went into 1.25” offhand at 25 yards.

http://i.imgur.com/n1jWMfh.jpg (http://imgur.com/n1jWMfh)

Based on my sample of 1, I’m not sure that fitting a barrel to a Gen4 gun would be worth the effort.

Okie John

WDW
12-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Just think of all the holsters, mags, sights, & spare parts you'll have to buy with it...that usually causes me to think my G17 is good enough.

JBP55
12-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Why did you guys get rid of them?

The Gen 4 OEM barrel had a better lock up and there was no improvement in accuracy with the 9mm Wilson barrel.
I would get slightly better accuracy from the KKM barrels in my Gen 3 Glocks in 9mm but I no longer own any Gen 3 Glocks.
All my Glocks are now Gen 4 and have OEM barrels.

DocGKR
12-11-2014, 12:17 PM
On quite a few older 9 mm 3rd gen G17's & G19's myself and most of the guys I know have used KKM drop in barrels--they truly did just drop in and improved accuracy from the box stock 90-95 w/low X-count at 25 yds slow fire on an NRA B8 to 98-100 and a high X-count. We have seen no problems with reliability and have clearly noted a bit more accuracy and consistency in our 25 & 50 yard bulls-eye shooting. The Wilson and Compass Lake barrels we have tried also just dropped in, but we did not notice quite as much improvement in accuracy. Note that we have not purchased any KKM barrels for over 18 mo, so things might have changed--in fact, I have heard of some QC issues from some SOCAL cops and others who reported significant problems with their recent KKM's, so BEWARE.

I have heard very good reports about the fitted Briley and Barsto Glock barrels in 3rd gen 9 mm Glocks, but they WILL need a bit of fitting. These are the barrels I will use in the future if for some reason I run across a 9 mm Glock which could benefit from improved accuracy.

Also keep in mind that the recent production Glock OEM barrels have generally been shooting very well (with some exceptions), so I am not sure I would use a non-OEM barrel in a current 9 mm Glock unless there was some drastic need to do so. For example, I recently shot a new "XBF" serial number 3rd gen G19 which went 100-6x at 25 yds slow fire on an NRA B8 right out of the box using the stock OEM Glock barrel and firing Federal 147 gr AE9FP FMJ.

GJM
12-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I would start with ammo. I have been getting excellent results with Glock OEM barrels at 25-100 yards with Lawman TMJ 115 as a shooter load and 124+P Gold Dot as a JHP load. I think the Glock trigger is major negative or plus, depending upon how you run the trigger, in getting the most out of the Glock. Shoot it like a 1911 and you will likely be disappointed in group size, but shoot it like a DA revolver and, in my experience you will be pleasantly surprised.

100 yard examples of 3 different G3 17 pistols with OEM barrels, with Lawman 115 TMJ:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/1118G17Tarannumb2_zpsdccc7e86.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/1118G17Tarannumb2_zpsdccc7e86.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/1118steel_zpse8c27775.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/1118steel_zpse8c27775.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/100Tarang1_zps14d2ef67.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/100Tarang1_zps14d2ef67.jpg.html)

JHC
12-11-2014, 12:58 PM
In an effort to get more accuracy out of my current Gen4 G19 (2012 production, TCE series #), I bought a KKM drop in barrel. My experiences were unpleasant. Not only did I experience no appreciable change in accuracy (which I'm becoming convinced in THIS Glock are a result of issues besides the barrel), but it took a normally reliable pistol and turned it into a reliability nightmare. Needless to say, after struggling to get through a 200 round range day, I took it out and it's never gone back in.

The more I work with Glocks, the more convinced I become that, especially in the newer models, accuracy is MUCH more a factor of tolerance stacking issues than barrel quality. YMMV, of course.

I've only seen horrid accuracy from one Gen 4 and it was a G21. It was reliable across a few hundred rounds but was like my 5" M&P - a 5-6" 25 yard gun. It's slide would rock on the frame side to side. I've never seen that before. That's part of my check out of any Glock now for sure.

JHC
12-11-2014, 01:03 PM
A big part of the answer to your question depends what you want to achieve. If that’s a true match-grade 9mm pistol, then I’d start with something people figured out how to accurize a long time ago, like a 1911. If you want a Glock that's somewhat more accurate than a stock gun, then you’re on the right track.

I have two Gen3 G17s with fitted Wilson Combat barrels. I’ve compared WC barrels and OEM barrels in these guns and found that groups made with WC barrels are 30-50% smaller, but that this difference isn't readily apparent until ranges get beyond 25 yards. After several years of chasing accuracy in Glocks, a new barrel wouldn’t be my first step toward improving accuracy.

Setting aside software issues for a minute, I’d start by upgrading ammo, ideally to a handload that’s been optimized for your pistol. One of the G17’s mentioned above has made numerous 3” five-shot groups at 50 yards with cast-bullet handloads in the OEM barrel, which is well as it shoots good jacketed bullets in the WC barrel. I know Glocks aren’t supposed to work with cast bullets, but here we are…

If you don’t handload, then test factory ammo and pick the load your pistol shoots best. The accuracy difference between loads can be surprising.

I’d also refine the trigger by testing connectors and trigger springs, and I’d do a 25-cent trigger job.

All of this pertains to Gen3 guns, and will get you a pistol that’s about as accurate as the typical HK is out of the box.

I just picked up a Gen4 G17 for T&E. The first five shots went into 1.25” offhand at 25 yards.

http://i.imgur.com/n1jWMfh.jpg (http://imgur.com/n1jWMfh)

Based on my sample of 1, I’m not sure that fitting a barrel to a Gen4 gun would be worth the effort.

Okie John

Thx Okie, your aftermarket barrel results info is always helpful. Re the reloading thing - that's a good reason I think why for a few years I've only enjoyed the hypothetical aftermarket barrels. For some time to come I'll just be shooting whatever UMC, WWB, Blazer, Tula, Monarch, AE I come across.

mizer67
12-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I have a couple of G17 Gen4's I shoot with primarily.

One has a fitted Jarvis barrel, the other recently got a drop-in Bar Sto that fits up very tight.

The Jarvis, after ~30,000 rounds has <15 thousandths of play in the hood, and probably a little more in the locking lug area. It was always a little looser than the Bar Sto, which has zero play in the hood and less play in the locking area.

Both will shoot into ~1.3"-1.4" for ten rounds, best groups with my handloads at 25 yards using non-premium bullets (Precision Delta 124 JHPs). Shooting 97-100's off-hand at 25 into B8's is on the shooter, it's only a matter of the X-count, which averages about 5X. The Bar Sto is a more accurate barrel right now, but the Jarvis has ~30K of jacketed on it and has seen better days. I didn't measure it when new, but it was always fitted a little looser.

I've had one or two issues with the Bar Sto though in a few thousand round with my reloads. The chamber is very tight and my brass was getting old and twice a round failed to go into battery. I traced this back to the ammo bulging slightly at the base, as I don't case guage practice ammo, but the Bar Sto chamber is very, very tight. I'm not sure I'd run it on a defensive gun. I've never had an issue with the Jarvis in comparison. Its chamber is not quite as tight.

Using Zeros or Hornady's, I can shoot better at 50 yards, but can't tell a difference at 25.

With the stock barrels, I was averaging about 2.5" for 10-round groups at 25 yards. So barrels for me are worth about a 40-45% improvement over stock. There might be more there but I'm likely chasing a sub 1" group with a >1" skillset, for 10 round groups anyway. I've had 5-round groups in the .4" range CTC, if I throw out the other 5 that open it up to 1.5".

JHC
12-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I have a couple of G17 Gen4's I shoot with primarily.

One has a fitted Jarvis barrel, the other recently got a drop-in Bar Sto that fits up very tight.

The Jarvis, after ~30,000 rounds has <15 thousandths of play in the hood, and probably a little more in the locking lug area. It was always a little looser than the Bar Sto, which has zero play in the hood and less play in the locking area.

Both will shoot into ~1.3"-1.4" for ten rounds, best groups with my handloads at 25 yards using non-premium bullets (Precision Delta 124 JHPs). Shooting 97-100's off-hand at 25 into B8's is on the shooter, it's only a matter of the X-count, which averages about 5X. The Bar Sto is a more accurate barrel right now, but the Jarvis has ~30K of jacketed on it and has seen better days. I didn't measure it when new, but it was always fitted a little looser.

I've had one or two issues with the Bar Sto though in a few thousand round with my reloads. The chamber is very tight and my brass was getting old and twice a round failed to go into battery. I traced this back to the ammo bulging slightly at the base, as I don't case guage practice ammo, but the Bar Sto chamber is very, very tight. I'm not sure I'd run it on a defensive gun. I've never had an issue with the Jarvis in comparison. Its chamber is not quite as tight.

Using Zeros or Hornady's, I can shoot better at 50 yards, but can't tell a difference at 25.

With the stock barrels, I was averaging about 2.5" for 10-round groups at 25 yards. So barrels for me are worth about a 40-45% improvement over stock. There might be more there but I'm likely chasing a sub 1" group with a >1" skillset, for 10 round groups anyway. I've had 5-round groups in the .4" range CTC, if I throw out the other 5 that open it up to 1.5".

See, and for pure enjoyment that just sounds like wicked fun.

EVP
12-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Mizer67

Thanks for the good info. What are your thoughts or findings when running premium defensive ammo in the bar-sto or running new factory ammo through them?

Mr_White
12-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Has anyone gotten an accuracy improvement from having your OEM barrel recrowned like I've heard about now and then? How much did it cost?

hossb7
12-11-2014, 05:16 PM
The best group I've gotten with my Gen4 G19, OEM barrel and 124gr +P Gold dots was just over 3.5" at 25 yards:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/shooting/Accuracy%20Testing%203/G19wOEM25ydsGDHP.jpg~original

On a whim I borrowed a KKM drop in barrel from a friend. It cut about an inch off the group size:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/shooting/Accuracy%20Testing%203/G19wKKM25ydsGDHP2.jpg~original

I also shot a group at 50 yards to see how it did. I was pleasantly surprised:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/shooting/Accuracy%20Testing%203/G19wKKM50ydsGDHP.jpg~original

I'm sure a day will come when I want to spend the money to buy one (or get one fitted) but my Gen 4 G19 has exceptional accuracy (for me) without an aftermarket barrel.

GJM
12-11-2014, 05:23 PM
What I find interesting, is I have a G4 19 and a few G3 19 pistols. The Gen 4 19 seems noticeably more accurate. It is not the least bit fussy about load, and seems to shoot everything I have tried well. By comparison, my G3 19 pistols seem much more load sensitive. They shoot 124+P Gold Dot well, but genetical ball not nearly as well.

The difference is significant enough, that at 50 yards on 8 inch steel, I would always choose the G4 19, as my hit rate is that much better.

mizer67
12-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Mizer67

Thanks for the good info. What are your thoughts or findings when running premium defensive ammo in the bar-sto or running new factory ammo through them?

I don't see much difference between the groups I get with Speer 124 grain Gold Dots vs. my hand loads (groups or velocity), which is partly why I run that particular load. I've had good luck with that load but basically bought a bunch and stuck with it, so I don't have any extensive testing to provide for duty loads. Interestingly, both of my aftermarket barrels are faster than Glock barrels with the same ammo; my assumption is due to the chambers being tighter creating more pressure.

+P Gold Dots are a little faster across the chrono, but otherwise unchanged aside from a slight POI shift.

Most of my guns haven't seen a single round of factory generic range fodder, can't help much there.

mizer67
12-11-2014, 09:15 PM
See, and for pure enjoyment that just sounds like wicked fun.

My ranges have restrictions on how fast you can shoot and most also them on drawing from the holster too, so shooting at distance or at small targets is about the only way I get to challenge myself in live fire unless I'm competing. I can run a small target out to 25 or 50 yards and still find the fun and can shoot at a cadence that won't get me kicked out of the club or off the property.

JHC
12-12-2014, 05:56 AM
My ranges have restrictions on how fast you can shoot and most also them on drawing from the holster too, so shooting at distance or at small targets is about the only way I get to challenge myself in live fire unless I'm competing. I can run a small target out to 25 or 50 yards and still find the fun and can shoot at a cadence that won't get me kicked out of the club or off the property.

I personally find that sort of shooting the most relaxing.