PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical Upper

WDW
08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I just built a lower on a Spikes Punisher lower and was wanting opinions on a 16" flat top upper. I was really looking at the Spikes Lightweight LE upper. It has the light profile barrel, M16 BCG, Chrome lined, 1:7 twist and looks to be a really good piece of gear. Any opinions or experience with these?

SecondsCount
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Does that model have a midlength gas system? If not, I probably wouldn't do it.

I have a midlength 16" BCM upper on my Spikes lower and it runs like a top.

Failure2Stop
08-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Reports coming back about Spike uppers are a bit dicey.
I would recommend going with a more established/consistent manufacturer.
In the LW market I would look at Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, and (if you don't mind carbine length gas) a Colt.
Personally, I prefer midlength gas systems, so I would lean that way.
I have a lightweight DD, and it does everything I could realisitically ask it to do.
It doesn't shoot 1 MOA at 300 meters, but it will put 10 rounds through an eye at 10 meters before the other one can blink, and it doesn't wear the GF out when presenting the weapon.

I'm not "Anti-Spike", I am just not convinced by marketing alone, thus my preference for other options.

orionz06
08-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Lose their "T2" buffer, good idea on paper but not as implemented.

Jay Cunningham
08-02-2011, 08:54 AM
I just built a lower on a Spikes Punisher lower and was wanting opinions on a 16" flat top upper. I was really looking at the Spikes Lightweight LE upper. It has the light profile barrel, M16 BCG, Chrome lined, 1:7 twist and looks to be a really good piece of gear. Any opinions or experience with these?

What is the intended purpose of the firearm and how much are you willing to spend?

WDW
08-02-2011, 11:44 AM
What is the intended purpose of the firearm and how much are you willing to spend?
It's just another rifle. I may run it through a class or predator hunt with it from time to time. What's the deal with carbine vs. midlength gas systems? Are carbine length seen as less reliable in longer barrels as true M4's have 14.5" barrels? I'd like to keep it under $1k for the upper.

Jay Cunningham
08-02-2011, 12:01 PM
What's the deal with carbine vs. midlength gas systems? Are carbine length seen as less reliable in longer barrels as true M4's have 14.5" barrels? I'd like to keep it under $1k for the upper.

Sounds like a new thread topic.

rjohnson4405
08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
It's just another rifle. I may run it through a class or predator hunt with it from time to time. What's the deal with carbine vs. midlength gas systems? Are carbine length seen as less reliable in longer barrels as true M4's have 14.5" barrels? I'd like to keep it under $1k for the upper.

If you're running it through a typical carbine class the lightweight option is one of my personal favorites because you won't get worn out (as much) running the gun all day long, and the chances of doing work beyond 200 yards is minimal if at all.

Predator hunting is almost contradictory to running it in a class depending on the ranges you are hunting. A lightweight build isn't going to shine at the 200+ yard line. A regular profile, heavy profile, or ideally stainless steel barrel are all going to add weight but be much more accurate and not affected by temperature as much.

This isn't to say that the lightweight is useless at distance, it's just not going to be a 1 MOA or less gun and coyotes/foxes/cats don't have large vital areas.

The quick and dirty of a midlength/carbine length gas system is that the carbine length runs at higher pressure (due to being closer to the ignition where pressures are highest) so they're harder on the gun and recoil more. I suggest a site like m4carbine.net or something for more minute details.

If you want a gun that will do double duty, I guess I would suggest a RECCE rifle (16" stainless steel barrel with free floating handguards). It won't be lightweight but it can run a class and remain accurate out further than a standard AR.

Kyle Reese
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Given your price range, you can easily find uppers from DD,BCM, LMT, to fit your mission. Why settle for anything less?

WDW
08-03-2011, 01:42 AM
After the replies and doing alot of reading, I have decided to go with a Bravo Company Midlength 16" upper. I'd rather spend a little extra $$$ and know I'm getting a highly endorsed, proven upper.

Jay Cunningham
08-03-2011, 01:49 AM
After the replies and doing alot of reading, I have decided to go with a Bravo Company Midlength 16" upper. I'd rather spend a little extra $$$ and know I'm getting a highly endorsed, proven upper.

Not bashing anyone, but wise decision IMO.

Kyle Reese
08-03-2011, 08:37 AM

You have chosen.......wisely..... :)