PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92D

Mike C
12-04-2014, 04:29 PM
For those of you Beretta owners and lovers I am looking for some good info and I need it quick if possible. Reason being I have found a 92D no night sights local to me for $299 maybe even $275 or so and want to scoop it up if it is serviceable and a decent deal. The gun has some slight surface rust under the slide because it looks like it was left in a sock drawer and never used or oiled but it doesn't appear to have any pitting. The shop is willing to let me strip the gun down to get a better look at the internals before I make a decision.

If the hive mind can help I would like to know what issues or problem indicators if any should I look for before deciding to make the purchase. I know little other that what shit instruction I got on the M9 from Uncle Sam while I was in so suffice to say I know squat and don't want to buy into a bunch of trouble. Any pointers would be helpful along with any ideas of additional purchases such as basic/recommended upgrades or parts Wilson or Wolff TCU, etc would be awesome. If you have specific experience or time with a 92D I'd really like to hear your thoughts. I do have an affinity for DAO guns and would really like to pick this stray up if it would be worth it. Thanks.

JTQ
12-04-2014, 04:36 PM
I believe forum member JonInWA is a 92D fan. I he doesn't find this thread, you may want to send him a PM.

Mike C
12-04-2014, 04:43 PM
I sent him one already and am afraid the 92D might walk before he has a chance to reply. Other than one tiny spot of rust the gun looks like it's never been shot and seems like a pretty decent deal.

Hambo
12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I've never owned a 92D, but for that price as long there was nothing glaringly wrong I'd throw down the $ without a second thought.

45dotACP
12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
I'd get it, but that's just me...Strip it down, look for any bad pitting. If none, give it a good home.

ToddG
12-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I'd examine the locking block and its mating surfaces on the slide. The wear should be relatively minor and relatively even. Due to the barrel rifling it won't be identical but if it's grossly different it means there's a good chance it's had its original locking block break in the gun while shooting.

Check the dust cover for any signs of cracking, also a sign of a heavily shot Beretta.

A moderately shot Beretta will usually have some wear along the trigger bar's path. That wouldn't be a major warning to me, just a sign that the gun has been shot more than you might have thought originally. Ditto with the face of the hammer where it contacts the firing pin.

I'm not a fan of the Wolf trigger thingy, I'd prefer simply to change the trigger spring every 5k rounds. To each his own, though.

Suvorov
12-04-2014, 04:56 PM
I sent him one already and am afraid the 92D might walk before he has a chance to reply. Other than one tiny spot of rust the gun looks like it's never been shot and seems like a pretty decent deal.

There is nothing about the Beretta that is different enough that a knowledgeable pistol shooter could miss on an inspection. When you take it apart, look at the locking block and check for wear, pitting, and cracks as that is the supposed "Achilles heal" of the gun and really the only part "unique" to the Beretta. Otherwise check condition of rails and any inordinate amount of wear and you should be good to go. At that price, you really can't go wrong and any springs that might need to be replaced are cheap and easily replaced.

HCM
12-04-2014, 05:04 PM
I had a 92D for several years while my Agency issued the 96D Brigadier.

I would pick up the 92D at that price - the 40 Beretta's had some durability issues but they were reliable and accurate. The long pull DAO on the Beretta D guns is like shooting a well tune S&W K frame.

The grip is a bit large - if you have small hands this may be an issue. I was one of the Agents Who had a trigger return spring break which resulted in the Wolf trigger return spring. The wolf unit is reliable but some dislike the effect on the trigger pull. If you keep up with maintenance / spring changes per factory recommendations it should be fine .

Mike C
12-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Thank you all for the info. ToddG thanks for some of the more specific points to look at. I will be making the trip over to the shop first thing tomorrow and hopefully be walking home with it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

LockedBreech
12-04-2014, 06:39 PM
I would also point out that at such a great price, if you end up loving the way the gun feels and shoots you'd be able to afford a top-notch finishing job from the likes of Robar, and just about nothing looks better than a well-finished Beretta :D

JonInWA
12-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Everyone else has already covered the 92D waterfront spectacularly well. If it's in at all decent shape, you should jump on it. Todd and I disagree on the merits of the Wolff TCU, but that's more of a difference in individual preference than substantively playing into whether or not you should get the gun. There's a strong liklihood it'll have the Gen 2 locking block; you might want to get the current Gen 3 block and plunger kit from BUSA and have your gunsmith install it as a preventive maintenance sort of thing; I'd also recommend automatically replacing the recoil, slide release, triggerbar, and trigger return spring-trhe last with either an OEM one (Todd's preference) or the Wolff TCU (my preference-and the reduced power unit), and all magazine springs.

You'll find that in all liklihood it'll have an exceptional triggerpull and quite decent accuracy.

Best, Jon

Mike C
12-08-2014, 12:53 AM
I forgot to post but I did end up picking up the 92D. There was no other surface rust that under the slide and next to zero signs of ware on the locking block and trigger guard as described. I love the trigger on it. The gun is just pure joy to shoot and is very tame. Long reset compared to all of the LEM guns I've had but very shootable. It's funny I keep thinning out my collection only to add to it later. Thanks for all the input everyone and I'll be replacing the parts recommended. I'll post a photo later.

ToddG
12-08-2014, 12:57 AM
The 92D is a true double action only pistol. Every trigger press requires you to move through the entire DA stroke. It's exceptionally smooth, though, because unlike most true DAO guns the Beretta eliminates the sear (and sear spring) altogether which reduces the friction substantially.

LockedBreech
12-08-2014, 01:03 AM
I forgot to post but I did end up picking up the 92D. There was no other surface rust that under the slide and next to zero signs of ware on the locking block and trigger guard as described. I love the trigger on it. The gun is just pure joy to shoot and is very tame. Long reset compared to all of the LEM guns I've had but very shootable. It's funny I keep thinning out my collection only to add to it later. Thanks for all the input everyone and I'll be replacing the parts recommended. I'll post a photo later.

Very nice, glad to hear it. Ever since reading Jon discussing the 92D as a "semiautomatic revolver" I have been tempted to pick one up, since they're very affordable on the used market. Hope you continue to enjoy yours.

Mike C
12-08-2014, 10:33 AM
The 92D is a true double action only pistol. Every trigger press requires you to move through the entire DA stroke. It's exceptionally smooth, though, because unlike most true DAO guns the Beretta eliminates the sear (and sear spring) altogether which reduces the friction substantially.

It's funny you wrote this, the first day I completely detail stripped the pistol and that was the first thing that struck me. After looking at everything lined up on the table I was quite impressed with how simple everything worked. It runs really well and I've already got quite a few rounds through it and can't wait to go back to shoot later this week. It sucks I just moved and finding a house is taking up all of my spare time.

Here's a photo by the way. Some dings but I am sure I can have it refinished.

JonInWA
12-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Glad it's running well, Mike. You're well on your way to discovering why these are becoming viewed as a bit of a cult classic by some of us...They're extremely well-made pistols, and I suspect that a combination of Beretta's old world craftsmanship culture along with some very specific large military and LEO contract specifications (and inherent QC specifications) have kept them that way. The trigger reset is long, and there's really nothing you can do about it, other than dry-fire practicing to build up muscle memory on it. As I've mentioned before, if you conceptualize the trigger as a revolver trigger, both in action and reset, you'll be in the right mindset.

Although it sounds like you've got things well in hands, given that you've already performed a detailed disassembly and reassembly, Massad Ayoob's The Gun Digest Book Of The Beretta is worth the price of admission for it's excellent photographs of the lubrication points.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Tom, whenever you see police turn-ins being sold, it's worth pursuing-some of the guns may have been those held in reserve, and very lightly used, if at all. If you can examine the guns, or ask discerning questions (and if the seller's knowledgeable and trustworthy), you might be able to get quite a good buy, and an exemplary like new gun.

Yeah, it can be a bit of a search for the Holy Grail...

Best, Jon

45dotACP
12-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Tom, whenever you see police turn-ins being sold, it's worth pursuing-some of the guns may have been those held in reserve, and very lightly used, if at all. If you can examine the guns, or ask discerning questions (and if the seller's knowledgeable and trustworthy), you might be able to get quite a good buy, and an exemplary like new gun.

Yeah, it can be a bit of a search for the Holy Grail...

Best, Jon

There are some police trade ins that I wouldn't touch however. Namely Glock 22's and Beretta 96D's just based on the reports of durability issues with the Berettas and reliability issues with the Glocks. Basically any 40 caliber pistol...because I have shot the 40 caliber enough to dislike it.

JonInWA
12-08-2014, 02:34 PM
There are some police trade ins that I wouldn't touch however. Namely Glock 22's and Beretta 96D's just based on the reports of durability issues with the Berettas and reliability issues with the Glocks. Basically any 40 caliber pistol...because I have shot the 40 caliber enough to dislike it.

No disagreement, 45dotACP; I was referring to police turn-in 92Ds, as that was what Tom_Jones was talking about, but your points are well-taken.

Best, Jon

Mike C
12-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Tom I can totally agree with wanting a 92D Compact especially after shooting the full size. Since stumbling upon the 92D I am now looking at the 92FS Compact L Type M its unfortunate that they are either very expensive or unobtainable. I may have to scratch the itch somehow though and buy a 92FS Compact even though I need another gun and trigger system like I need another hole in my head. I have a hard enough time just settling down and shooting what I've got even though I have been, "consolidating."

I will openly admit I'm a pretty big HK fan but the Beretta is growing on me and instead of being good and practicing with what I am carrying every day during my dry fire sessions I can't seem to stop myself from pulling out the Beretta. JonInWA thanks for all the info via PM's.

45dotACP
12-09-2014, 12:10 PM
No disagreement, 45dotACP; I was referring to police turn-in 92Ds, as that was what Tom_Jones was talking about, but your points are well-taken.

Best, Jon
No lie...I would be all over a 92D. Sometimes I really wonder how much of an issue the 96Ds durability is. I used to read 167s blog a lot and enjoyed his journey with a DAO semi auto.

He put a pretty decent amount of ammo through his and didn't have the gun fly apart....

JonInWA
12-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Mike, I've previously owned a 92F Compact L Type M (and how's that for a mouthful?); and frankly wasn't all that impressed. Not that it was a bad gun-it was accurate and reliable. However, it just didn't seem to do anything significantly better than other guns that I had, and, as Todd has previously mentioned, it's girth wasn't appreciably thinner than that of the Compact/Centurion/full-size 92s. Additionally, (and unlike the other 92s) there are some pretty sharp edges to the backstrap tang of the Type M-it really bit into my side, despite having what I considered a good holster (Kramer horsehide IWB)-Ayoob also mentions this somewhat unpleasant vicissitude, and I can personally verify it. Magazines were relatively expensive-and currently they seem to be made of unobtanium. Mine had OEM Trijicons, which was a nice plus, but at the end of the day, someone else has it, and hopefully is enjoying it, as I traded it. I believe that there were a relatively low number of 92D Compact L Type Ms produced, presumably for the USPS Postal Inspector contract and/or other LEOs issuing the full-size 92D as back-up/alternative choice duty guns, but they're not frequently spotted. The Type Ls are for me in only a sightly more elevated category than, say, a HK P7-interesting, extremely well built, but a bit of a gun in search of a niche.

My suggestion would be simply to concentrate on your 92D, establishing proficiency on it-especially with the DAO trigger. However, there's a rumor (that I'm happily perpetuating) that there might be a further Wilson-Beretta collaboration, probably a Brigadier Tactical Compact or Brigadier Tactical Centurion. I'd probably strongly be tempted and consider either if they in fact materialize.

Best, Jon