PDA

View Full Version : The "Nightstand" gun

FotoTomas
11-30-2014, 09:55 AM
I enjoy reading about others decisions and reasons for personal weapons choices. Makes me think and sometimes re-evaluate my own choices.

I recently found a good deal on a Beretta 92FS Type M9A1. A basic Beretta with a rail. This is now my nightstand gun. At this point I have taken the M3X illuminator off my SIG 229r since I am leaving the SIG family in retirement and added it to the M9A1. I also have put a set of Crimson Trace "302" Laser Grips on the pistol. This gives me independent operation of the white light and Laser. I have a couple of Beretta 20 round capacity magazines on the way. When tested these will be the M9A1's nightstand magazines. I also have plans to get a set of night sights installed on the slide for better lowlight visability. All of these options have been on my guns in the past but this time it will be "all in one". This will be my general purpose home defense pistol easily holstered for Hurricane duty or other tactical (like yea right) needs.

What pray tell do YOU have on your night stand? :)

GJM
11-30-2014, 10:10 AM
My nightstand gun is the one I am wearing when I go to bed. It doesn't go in or the nightstand, but stays in the holster on my pants.

LSP972
11-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Welcome to retirement, brother. Life here is GOOD.

One of the joys is doing exactly what you are doing… relaxing while deciding on what defensive iron YOU prefer; as opposed to carrying what some bureaucrat thinks you need.

I too was a long-time Sig user; but the combat tupperware revolution was a game-changer for me, once I got old enough to care about things like weight and bulk.

My "nightstand gun" is a Glock 17 with M3X, standard Trijicon trits, and an OEM two round extender on the magazine. Its strictly a nightstand gun; I have an old SWAT leg holster that will carry it with the M3X mounted, but things would have to get pretty damned bad for me to get all ninja'ed up again. My normal EDC (i.e., concealed) HK rig should suffice for most occasions- it has so far. My carbines have white lights; I'm in south Louisiana, so am well versed in pre- and post-hurricane protocols.

As for "other tactical needs"… hey, don't write that off completely. As much as I don't want to see it, I fear The Revolution is coming… and its one we won't be able to sit out.

GardoneVT
11-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I enjoy reading about others decisions and reasons for personal weapons choices. Makes me think and sometimes re-evaluate my own choices.

I recently found a good deal on a Beretta 92FS Type M9A1. A basic Beretta with a rail. This is now my nightstand gun. At this point I have taken the M3X illuminator off my SIG 229r since I am leaving the SIG family in retirement and added it to the M9A1. I also have put a set of Crimson Trace "302" Laser Grips on the pistol. This gives me independent operation of the white light and Laser. I have a couple of Beretta 20 round capacity magazines on the way. When tested these will be the M9A1's nightstand magazines. I also have plans to get a set of night sights installed on the slide for better lowlight visability. All of these options have been on my guns in the past but this time it will be "all in one". This will be my general purpose home defense pistol easily holstered for Hurricane duty or other tactical (like yea right) needs.

What pray tell do YOU have on your night stand? :)
A fluffy teddy bear.

It wards off evil spirits better then a Taurus curve .380.:cool:

FotoTomas
11-30-2014, 10:44 AM
A fluffy teddy bear.

It wards off evil spirits better then a Taurus curve .380.:cool:

There is some truth to that point! :D

Beat Trash
11-30-2014, 10:56 AM
I started to say a Taurus curve, but I can't even say that with a straight face! (If only they would make the Judge in a curve...?):cool:

My "Night Stand Gun" is a M&P9. MY wife shoots this better than anything else so far. This gun has a WML and I only use factory 17 rd magazines. I have carried an issued M&P9 since they were first invented. So I am also familiar with the pistol.

If I were still single, I would just use the gun I carry during the day as my night time gun. But I want my wife to know there is a gun [I]always located within the bedroom should she have to retreat to this location. Our bedroom is on the second floor of the house.

There is another "Night Stand Gun" located on the first floor of the house, for the same reason.

Neither gun is actually located in a night stand though...

El Cid
11-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Glock 17L with an X300 and 22+1 rounds.

TGS
11-30-2014, 11:25 AM
My nightstand gun is the same gun I carry.

It gets a TLR-3s at night time and sits in a gun rug with 2 spare mags. This way in case of emergency where I might need to vacate quickly (natural disaster, fire, ect) I can just grab the gun rug, throw it in my other bag, and at least know I have a 9mm with 3 mags and a light.

I also have a "nightstand" gun in my den. It is a 380 stashed away in a convenient location while watching TV, and since it cannot mount a light I have a 4Sevens Quark 123 stashed with it.

I love the 92. If I could get a Beretta 92G for a good price, I would want to keep it as a nightstand gun. At the same time, I live with my significant other now. If she needs to use it, I'm not sure that's a terribly good choice given her hand size. My P2000 is a much better fit for her, until she buys her own (which we're actively hunting....I'm pointing her towards the M&Pc).

JonInWA
11-30-2014, 12:29 PM
I usually have 2-One for me, one for my wife. Hers is a Glock G19, with a NY1 spring and a "minus" connector-a bit heavier, but more consistant triggerpull, and Glock steel sights.

Mine are usually either a G19 with Trijicon nightsights, and dot connector, or a Beretta 92D with Trijicon nightsights, or a Ruger P89.

I also have electrionic earphones, a tactical flashlight, and an Eagle Industries Spec Ops tanker-type shoulder holster (adjustable for gun) for mine.

Best, Jon

Wheeler
11-30-2014, 12:47 PM
I keep playing with this concept. At one time I had an old duty belt with a Model 67, two speedloaders, six Safariland shell holders with 1 ounce slugs and an INOVA 225 lumen light as well as a S&W 3000 by the bed. Now I keep a Model 36 nearby and all the heavy hardware in the safe. My LCR is always in my pants pocket as is a reload.

Part of the reason I bought a CZ P07 was to actually own a pistol with a rail and have a WML on it. I'm still working on what I feel is an acceptable level of proficiency with the pistol before I go that route.

JodyH
11-30-2014, 12:53 PM
I prefer having a WML and a laser on the pistol i'm most likely to need after dark.
I don't carry a pistol with a light and laser.
Swapping a light and laser on and off a pistol rail is a pain in the butt and you always have a shift in laser zero.
That's why I keep a P30L with a Viridian X5L as my "nightstand" pistol.

I also have a master bathroom handgun... because wet, naked and unarmed is not how I want to be remembered.
S&W 66 4" loaded with Winchester Silvertip .357's.

Savage Hands
11-30-2014, 12:56 PM
The delicious 17 on the right...
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/_20141130_094116_zpswwt8p45n.jpg

HCM
11-30-2014, 02:22 PM
The delicious 17 on the right...
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/_20141130_094116_zpswwt8p45n.jpg

Maple Bacon Doughnuts ?

Savage Hands
11-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Maple Bacon Doughnuts ?

Yes!

Kyle Reese
11-30-2014, 03:46 PM
My nightstand gun is my carry gun- Glock 17 Gen 4.

Tom Duffy
11-30-2014, 04:12 PM
H&K P30L LEM 9mm, Surefire X 300 Ultra WML in a small GunVault on nightstand. GunVault unlocked at night. No round in chamber. Slide must be racked to use. The 500 lumen light is amazing. If it had been available when I purchased my Surefire, I'd have gotten the light with the integral green laser.

rob_s
11-30-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm rather surprised at all this variety and fine tuning. Is there some reason that the nightstand gun should be anything different than the carry gun, or at least in the same family? Or some reason the carry gun changes drastically day to day? Or not to keep a dedicated gun close buy regardless?

I just use a Glock 19 for everything. They all have the same sights, same mag release, same slide stop, and same trigger. And they all match up to the Glock 26 "car gun" which is only a G26 because the G19 won't fit in the Tacoma center console vault. The nightstand gun(s) are locked up, wear a light full time, have a mag in them but no round in the chamber, a spare mag, and a fanny pack nearby (works as a concealment holster when I don't have a holster or concealment).

It's not rocket surgery.

WDW
11-30-2014, 05:20 PM
My nightstand gun is a cond. 3 G19 RTF with a Glock laser/light mounted, standard 15rd mag loaded with Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P's.

WDW
11-30-2014, 05:23 PM
I'm rather jsurprised at all this variety and fine tuning. Is there some reason that the nightstand gun should be anything different than the carry gun, or at least in the same family? Or some reason the carry gun changes drastically day to day? Or not to keep a dedicated gun close buy regardless?

I just use a Glock 19 for everything. They all have the same sights, same mag release, same slide stop, and same trigger. And they all match up to the Glock 26 "car gun" which is only a G26 because the G19 won't fit in the Tacoma center console vault. The nightstand gun(s) are locked up, wear a light full time, have a mag in them but no round in the chamber, a spare mag, and a fanny pack nearby (works as a concealment holster when I don't have a holster or concealment).

It's not rocket surgery.
My nightstand gun is different because I carry AIWB & prefer a P99 for that role. Otherwise, everything I do would be done with a G17/G19 & the ocassional J frame.

LSP972
11-30-2014, 05:56 PM
I'm rather surprised at all this variety and fine tuning.
It's not rocket surgery.

No, its not. But it doesn't have to be uber-simple either. I carry an HK pistol and a J frame revolver, every day. My nightstand gun is a G17 with M3X light… because I that's what I WANT. The G17 is a police trade-in that personifies the term "tool". Three different guns… but maybe not so different, because they all work the same way; pick it up, pull the trigger. Repeat until no more burrets, whereupon their differences begin to manifest themselves. But after carrying, shooting, training, qualifying, etc., etc., with these guns (and others just like them) for a very long time, I think I could manage to "stay in the fight".

I would be very interested to hear why you think one needs a reason to use different guns for different tasks. And make that a generalized statement, please (i.e., don't play the duffer card), because your quoted comment sounded pretty generalized to me… okay?

iGuy
11-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Mostly its a Springfield Armory XDS 9mm. I eventually want to put Trijicon sights on it. Someday.

My Sig 236 is also close at hand.

ReverendMeat
11-30-2014, 10:14 PM
My Sig 236 is also close at hand.

What's that?

pangloss
11-30-2014, 11:19 PM
I have a Gen4 G17 (+2 baseplate) with a Surefire X300 and tritium Warren sights. I also have handheld Surefire and an extra mag in/on the nightstand.

rob_s
11-30-2014, 11:22 PM
don't play the duffer card

I don't know what that means. Google didn't help.

JAD
11-30-2014, 11:39 PM
I don't know what that means. Google didn't help.

Sigh.

Can I sigh?

ToddG
11-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/duffer)
Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duffer)

FWIW, I'd never heard the term before, either.

45dotACP
12-01-2014, 01:38 AM
My 1911 comes out of the holster, gets a 10 round mag and sits by a flashlight.

But not on a nightstand.

LockedBreech
12-01-2014, 01:42 AM
My 92FS with factory 17-rounders and standard-pressure Speer Gold Dots.

It's strange. I own two guns with night sights and rails. Those are the logical choices. But that 92 fits me like a glove. It's the thing I'd be the most confident with in a pinch. Sometime down the line I want a railed model.

David B.
12-01-2014, 02:18 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/Apostolos/AGW1_zpsba45fe04.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Apostolos/media/AGW1_zpsba45fe04.jpg.html)

Night sights and light on rail.

God Bless,
David

rob_s
12-01-2014, 05:47 AM
No, its not. But it doesn't have to be uber-simple either. I carry an HK pistol and a J frame revolver, every day. My nightstand gun is a G17 with M3X light… because I that's what I WANT. The G17 is a police trade-in that personifies the term "tool". Three different guns… but maybe not so different, because they all work the same way; pick it up, pull the trigger. Repeat until no more burrets, whereupon their differences begin to manifest themselves. But after carrying, shooting, training, qualifying, etc., etc., with these guns (and others just like them) for a very long time, I think I could manage to "stay in the fight".

I would be very interested to hear why you think one needs a reason to use different guns for different tasks. And make that a generalized statement, please (i.e., don't play the duffer card), because your quoted comment sounded pretty generalized to me… okay?

It sounds like a lot of people are pursuing complexity for the sake of complication. There are plenty of pretty basic reasons for sticking with one type of gun (the most obvious being parts interchange, holster compatibility, etc.) but I'm not hearing much in the way of reasons for the gun cournicopia other than "because I want to". That's cool if that's all it is, I know a lot of people see guns differently than I do.

I suppose I was expecting to hear more of the "why" in this thread and less of the weird. In hindsight, the lack of why probably should have clued me in that there wasn't any.

LSP972
12-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/duffer)
Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duffer)

FWIW, I'd never heard the term before, either.

Well, that's not the "proper" definition.

A duffer is one who is inexperienced at something, but doesn't recognize that fact nor act accordingly (I suppose you could say that also describes an idiot, but many "gun duffers" I know are NOT idiots). In this context, I was asking rob not to use the average gun guy- who most likely would not benefit from a "rotation plan"- as justification for his statement.

IOW, the audience he is addressing here is more likely to be familiar enough with their stuff to not suffer a meltdown when the flag goes up.

LSP972
12-01-2014, 06:27 AM
It sounds like a lot of people are pursuing complexity for the sake of complication.

Ah… now I understand.

Weird is a relative term. I cannot speak for others, but there is a definite "why" for my choices. And its definitely not weird to me. What it IS about is consistency. The HK LEM and Glock pistols are quite similar in operational terms, but the main reason is the Glock is always in a known location, along with the HK carry piece USUALLY being in the same- but different- location once I un-strap for the night.

And you can add a bit of sloth to my mix. When I was a working cop, I religiously followed the "one gun" dictum; at the end of the day, I would un-holster my carry gun, put the WML on it, and place it on the nightstand. In the morning, I would remove the WML, holster the pistol and go to work. When I retired, I said to myself "Why bother with that anymore?" The G17, which I got at a steal, is a disposable pistol. If I lose it in a daytime burglary, oh well. We're long past having young 'uns in the house, except when the grandkids visit and then everything gets put up.

Anyway, that's MY "why".

HCM
12-01-2014, 07:48 AM
Speaking of "why", why do many of the posters keep their nightstand guns condition 3 / chamber empty?

Also, for those who chose this, do you do this with your carry gun or just your nightstand gun?

My nightstand gun is my carry gun. Usually a Gen 4 17 with X300, Trijicon HDs and Speer 124gr +p ammunition or a Gen 3 Glock 26 with Ameriglo Pro I dots and the same ammo. A flashlight with lanyard does permanent nightstand duty.

LSP972
12-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Speaking of "why", why do many of the posters keep their nightstand guns condition 3 / chamber empty?

For the same reason some revolver folks insist on keeping an empty chamber under the hammer on a DA revolver... they're duffers.:D

HCM
12-01-2014, 08:58 AM
For the same reason some revolver folks insist on keeping an empty chamber under the hammer on a DA revolver... they're duffers.:D

You mean they don't have burial money rolled up in that 6th chamber ?

JodyH
12-01-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm guessing it's to make sure they're awake and somewhat coherent before they have a loaded pistol in their hand.
I'm one of those 0-100mph instantly awake people so I have no problem staying hot.

Chuck Haggard
12-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Our last LOD was enabled by a pistol left laying around a house that was picked up in a burglary earlier that day, in the possession of a convicted felon, and he didn't want to go back to jail.

I have serious issues with folks just leaving loaded guns, or even guns, laying around a house.

Just an observation.

rob_s
12-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Also, for those who chose this, do you do this with your carry gun or just your nightstand gun?

In general, for my own consistency, if I have a gun in a holster then it has a round in the chamber, and if it's not in the holster then there is no round in the chamber. Whenever possible all guns have magazines inserted. All are locked up in some way. While this doesn't prevent my checking them, or wouldn't keep me from potentially jacking a round out of a chamber should I pick one up, it's just a basic rule of thumb for me. Partially because I distrust uncovered triggers, and partially because I like the added (perhaps only perceived) level of safety relative to someone else picking up the gun, whether it be an intruder or a child.

Kimura
12-01-2014, 01:26 PM

For some because they have kids in the house. Children are curious and resourceful. They are more than capable of getting into your mini gun vault. Having the gun condition 3 or separating mags from pistol creates added layers for them to get by.

LSP972
12-01-2014, 01:50 PM
I have serious issues with folks just leaving loaded guns, or even guns, laying around a house.

Well, that G17 isn't "just laying around the house"; its quickly accessible to me but well-hidden (and how is not for publication).

I understand your point of view; but around here, at least, the great majority of stolen firearms are acquired from UNLOCKED vehicles; those acquired from residential burglaries are a distant second.

I say that not to justify my choice (because I truly do not care what anyone else may think about my choices), but merely to illustrate that criminals who really want a gun usually don't have much trouble finding one.

For instance, there was a crew in this area who specialized in getting gun safes out of dwellings (alarmed or otherwise) in a hurry, so they could work on getting them open at their leisure back at the hide-out, or wherever. How they did it was truly ingenius (and I won't repeat it here, so as not to give anyone any ideas). IOW, sometimes the best security plans simply aren't enough.

My safe is bolted to the slab; they'll need explosives or a wrecker to get it out.

RJ
12-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Interesting thread.

I'll have a go.

We only have the one firearm, an M&P FS9. There is just my wife and I in the house. I'm 55 and started shooting in 2013. The M&P is my weekend range pistol, AND what I dry-fire practice with, AND my SD gun 'at home'. I have a CCW but don't carry.

When not 'in use', it is locked, unloaded, mag removed, in our safe.

At night, it is in a holster, full mag inserted, not chambered.

Why: I feel more comfortable knowing that I, or my wife, do not have a chambered weapon bedside. If I am woken dead of night I'd like the opportunity to rack the slide and get mentally awake. YMMV, of course, but that is where my head is at.

walker2713
12-01-2014, 02:18 PM
This is it...M&P 45 Compact, along with two loaded mags and another light......

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb419/Vartarg/FullSizeRender_zps077d458e.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/Vartarg/media/FullSizeRender_zps077d458e.jpg.html)

I wouldn't admit to being a "duffer" but accept that at 74 I'm a "geezer.":cool:

PS: Different strokes for different folks....but I probably couldn't sleep at night knowing that there was NOT a round in the chamber!

gtmtnbiker98
12-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Sigh.

Can I sigh?

Lol, yes actually laughing.

LSP972
12-01-2014, 05:25 PM
PS: Different strokes for different folks....but I probably couldn't sleep at night knowing that there was NOT a round in the chamber!

Indeed.

BTW, it pains me greatly to see you forsaking your avatar. Or, are we on the same playbook page… using the disposable tupperware for HD???;)

walker2713
12-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Exactly......the HK's are in the safe or on me!

LSP972
12-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Exactly......the HK's are in the safe or on me!

:cool:

Chuck Haggard
12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Well, that G17 isn't "just laying around the house"; its quickly accessible to me but well-hidden (and how is not for publication).

I understand your point of view; but around here, at least, the great majority of stolen firearms are acquired from UNLOCKED vehicles; those acquired from residential burglaries are a distant second.

I say that not to justify my choice (because I truly do not care what anyone else may think about my choices), but merely to illustrate that criminals who really want a gun usually don't have much trouble finding one.

For instance, there was a crew in this area who specialized in getting gun safes out of dwellings (alarmed or otherwise) in a hurry, so they could work on getting them open at their leisure back at the hide-out, or wherever. How they did it was truly ingenius (and I won't repeat it here, so as not to give anyone any ideas). IOW, sometimes the best security plans simply aren't enough.

My safe is bolted to the slab; they'll need explosives or a wrecker to get it out.

The vast majority of our street guns come from home and vehicle burglaries, hence my editorial commentary.

I'd venture that crew was responsible for vastly fewer guns being stolen that the average random crackhead out doing burglaries.

Just an observation.

TGS
12-01-2014, 06:55 PM
The vast majority of our street guns come from home and vehicle burglaries, hence my editorial commentary.

I'd venture that crew was responsible for vastly fewer guns being stolen that the average random crackhead out doing burglaries.

Just an observation.

If I wanted to keep a longgun (or pistol) at the ready, would you recommend the shotlock (http://www.shotlock.com/)?

One of the problems I have with safes is that they seem like a liability for immediate need. Either they're easy to use but likely to fail at some point, or they're robust but not easy to use.

I know this is going to sound insensitive given your departments loss, but I'm more concerned about being bound up and forced to watch my significant other being raped than I am about the gun in my locked, alarmed house being stolen and used in street crimes. If I can satisfy both end-states then I'd obviously like to...but I haven't really been overjoyed with the safe options learned about thus far.

walker2713
12-01-2014, 07:17 PM
For me, there are 3 classes of home handguns:

1) pistols in the safe--locked
2) pistols around the house, available but not in plain view
3) pistols at arms length or on my person.

I suppose that if a person only had 1 or 2 handguns, it might be a problem....not a problem for me.

YMMV

LSP972
12-01-2014, 08:06 PM

No doubt. I related that as a simple example of… a determined criminal is a determined criminal.

And while I certainly don't claim that it absolves me of responsibility… it is what it is. A determined burglar could find my G17 eventually; if he wanted to hang around looking with the alarm blaring.

LSP972
12-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I know this is going to sound insensitive given your departments loss, but I'm more concerned about being bound up and forced to watch my significant other being raped than I am about the gun in my locked, alarmed house being stolen and used in street crimes.

Exactly. Well stated.

And I've been on both sides of that fence, so I know precisely what Chuck is talking about and feeling. Doesn't change my current beliefs.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Most of the guns I use for enjoyment are 1911s, no rails.

If I needed a gun out of my nightstand, which as I mentioned elsewhere is a gun safe, I'd probably grab my light-and-laser g17.

Thousands of reps on both. Could probably marginally improve is I only ever used one but I find them so similar that I don't worry about it. I'm extremely confident that the lack of a thumb safety won't result in panicked thumb-cycling instead of shooting.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

HCM
12-01-2014, 11:07 PM
For some because they have kids in the house. Children are curious and resourceful. They are more than capable of getting into your mini gun vault. Having the gun condition 3 or separating mags from pistol creates added layers for them to get by.

We issue all our officers Arm Loc lock boxes and " do not leave the combo set to 000" is part of our mandatory firearms security training for this reason.

JMorse
12-01-2014, 11:12 PM
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7558/15628825039_7715aa69c6.jpg

Chuck Haggard
12-02-2014, 03:12 AM
If I wanted to keep a longgun (or pistol) at the ready, would you recommend the shotlock (http://www.shotlock.com/)?

One of the problems I have with safes is that they seem like a liability for immediate need. Either they're easy to use but likely to fail at some point, or they're robust but not easy to use.

I know this is going to sound insensitive given your departments loss, but I'm more concerned about being bound up and forced to watch my significant other being raped than I am about the gun in my locked, alarmed house being stolen and used in street crimes. If I can satisfy both end-states then I'd obviously like to...but I haven't really been overjoyed with the safe options learned about thus far.

That isn't an either/or situation.

My guns are on me, or typically locked up. When I come home at night and I'm not leaving the house things like my work carbine are in the bedroom, and my duty gun is on the nightstand. If I am leaving then the gun/s that aren't going with are locked up in the safe. It takes a few seconds and it's an easy habit to get in to.

I have not seen one of the shotlocks in the wild to have seen one tested by an attempted or actual burglar, however burglars tend to want to be there and gone, in urban settings anyway. Less time of scene means less chance of getting caught.

Having a burglar alarm helps a great deal in my experience, as does having doors with actual locks and security strikes on them instead of the cheesy crap that passes nowadays for locks.

Switch your in the middle of the night rape scenario to your SO coming home from shopping to find a break-in in progress because the alarm hasn't been called in to the po-po yet by the company (most people would be shocked at how long the delay can be in the company actually calling the police), and the bad guy/s are coming out of the house with a loaded gun they found on their quick sweep through the house.

I am not just pulling that scenario out of my ass BTW.

TGS
12-02-2014, 08:42 AM

My guns are on me, or typically locked up. When I come home at night and I'm not leaving the house things like my work carbine are in the bedroom, and my duty gun is on the nightstand. If I am leaving then the gun/s that aren't going with are locked up in the safe. It takes a few seconds and it's an easy habit to get in to.

I have not seen one of the shotlocks in the wild to have seen one tested by an attempted or actual burglar, however burglars tend to want to be there and gone, in urban settings anyway. Less time of scene means less chance of getting caught.

Having a burglar alarm helps a great deal in my experience, as does having doors with actual locks and security strikes on them instead of the cheesy crap that passes nowadays for locks.

Switch your in the middle of the night rape scenario to your SO coming home from shopping to find a break-in in progress because the alarm hasn't been called in to the po-po yet by the company (most people would be shocked at how long the delay can be in the company actually calling the police), and the bad guy/s are coming out of the house with a loaded gun they found on their quick sweep through the house.

We don't have to rely on the company to call the cops. We get a text message if the doors or windows are breached while the alarm is set.

When the house I was moving out of was burglarized, they were as quick as possible like you say. They grabbed my tv, sound system, and beer steins. They didn't even go upstairs or rummage through drawers. They did however take all my groceries and put them in a trash bag in front of the house.

JodyH
12-02-2014, 08:48 AM
If I'm not home all my guns are locked in a safe or on my person.
When I lay me down to sleep my bedroom safe is opened up and my carry pistol goes on the top shelf and my nightstand pistol comes out.
It's not rocket surgery.

Hambo
12-02-2014, 09:23 AM
It's not rocket surgery.

Yeah. By day my pistols are on me or within reach. At night they're by the bed, holstered, with spare mags and two flashlights there as well. I don't keep a long gun out as my house isn't that large and I'll have very little time to react to wake up and react. Anything I can't solve with fifty-some rounds from two handguns will probably kill me.

TR675
12-02-2014, 09:25 AM
...and beer steins.

Que?

Burglars are weird.

TGS
12-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Que?

Burglars are weird.

Well, they look valuable....

....Which two of them were. The other two were mass produced $20 steins.

TR675
12-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm really not surprised...I've heard a lot of weird stories about burglars and the things they take or do inside someone's house. Just funny that they would take beer steins.

Wheeler
12-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Seems to me that this boils down to whatever the individual is comfortable with. Sort of like which gun they chiose to carry and how they choose to carry it.
:-)

MDS
12-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Now that winter is here, I carry the g17 and the g19 is in the nightstand safe with a light. In summer I switch the guns. And now that the oldest is 5, I need to start looking at a nightstand safe that's more secure - though I leave the sirt out around the house as a test of their discipline about the "don't touch guns" rule and it hasn't budged yet...

Beat Trash
12-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Now that winter is here, I carry the g17 and the g19 is in the nightstand safe with a light. In summer I switch the guns. And now that the oldest is 5, I need to start looking at a nightstand safe that's more secure - though I leave the sirt out around the house as a test of their discipline about the "don't touch guns" rule and it hasn't budged yet...

Please look into getting something. It only will take one bad incident to change your life. And keep in mind it's not just your kids you need to consider. People with kids tend to associate with others who have kids. factor in play dates and kids having friends over to play. Factor in cousins of a similar age as your kids. While your kids may understand that the guns are off limits, other kids that will eventually come to you house may not.

Please get a safe for your night stand gun. Harden your house via security system, good locks, and a dog. Even one of those "Yappy" little dogs are good, as they will give you some extra warning and buy you some additional time.

Beat Trash
12-02-2014, 11:46 AM

Chuck has made some good points about securing firearms.

An unarmed burglar will become an armed burglar if there are guns that are not secured. Any self respecting burglar will do a sweep of the residence and locate at least two exits, in case they have to leave quickly. Doing so, they will check the night stand, the sock drawer, and the underwear drawer to see if there is anything of value. Like a pistol.

Unfortunately, Chuck is NOT pulling this scenario out of his ass. Nor is it unique to his region...

rob_s
12-02-2014, 12:19 PM
I came home once to a burgled house. Something felt "wrong" when I walked in the front door, and I tracked through the house to find the back door, in my master bedroom, standing open. I started taking stock of what might be missing, and lo and behold the shotgun that I thought was so cleverly hidden away was missing. Forgetting the guilt I would feel if that was used on an innocent (from what I understand it would more likely be used on another shitbag, in which case I'd start donating a shotgun a week), what occurred to me is that what could have been a kid in the midst of an opportunity crime could have turned into me getting shot with my own gun, or me having to shoot someone else. All because I left a gun unsecured.

Food for thought. I don't really care what people do in their own homes, but until the above occurred I hadn't considered that possibility.

My guns are all either locked up or on my person.

skyshark
12-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Rob S, I went through the same scenario back about 20 years ago, came home from work to a kicked in door. The ONLY thing stolen was an S&W 686 in the nightstand drawer. Fortunately, everything else was locked in the safe. I haven’t left an unsecure gun at home since. Also, I’m sure the burglar knew me and that I owned guns so that just strengthens the reasons for keeping everything secure. BTW my nightstand gun is a 9mm P229R with an X300 that is also my EDC.

Chuck Haggard
12-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Seems to me that this boils down to whatever the individual is comfortable with. Sort of like which gun they chiose to carry and how they choose to carry it.
:-)

I think Southnarc has a quote out there something like "I'm comfortable watching TV while wearing boxers and fiddling with my balls, that's not how I fight...."

Some people's comfort level is not congruent with reality.

MDS
12-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Please look into getting something. It only will take one bad incident to change your life. And keep in mind it's not just your kids you need to consider. People with kids tend to associate with others who have kids. factor in play dates and kids having friends over to play. Factor in cousins of a similar age as your kids. While your kids may understand that the guns are off limits, other kids that will eventually come to you house may not.

Please get a safe for your night stand gun. Harden your house via security system, good locks, and a dog. Even one of those "Yappy" little dogs are good, as they will give you some extra warning and buy you some additional time.
Thanks for the advice. I already have two nightstand safes. I've tried banging them open like in the YouTube videos but was unsuccessful. I'm sure I could do it with a crow bar, though, and am thinking of an upgrade. There are many ways in which a "small" accident with the boys could change my life - and after all I sentenced both my kids to death in the instant that they were born - but seeing as how all of my guns are on my person or in a safe, I think a gun accident is low in the relative likelihood scale.

Phrog107
12-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Since this topic has morphed into at least three seperate topics, I will address each individually.

1. My "house gun" is different than my carry gun and my car gun. I keep a M&P9 with CT grips and an Inforce APL. To me, in a darkened house, a WML seems to be critical addition. The possibility of having to carry a child while still being able to use the pistol is the reason why I insist on the laser grips. The M&P has one of the best interfaces for the CT grips, Berettas are another, but I prefer the M&P.

I don't carry the M&P9 because it's usually too large and I prefer having a manual safety for AIWB carry. So my carry pistol is a CZ p-07. My car carry is a lightly customized SA mil-spec 1911 because it's the same manual of arms, and I feel that .45acp is a better choice with the possibility of having to shoot through a windshield. I can't carry at work, so my car pistol is there for any possible situation on my way to/from work.

2. Why don't I keep my weapons with 1 in the chamber at home/car? My CCW is carried with one in the chamber. THat is the only firearm I keep chambered. First, I have kids in the house, so 1 additional step to make the weapon ready to fire for their safety. Second, I do a fair amount of dry fire, and unchambering a round all the time would get expensive. Third, I don't feel comfortable with my car pistol having a round chambered while in off body carry.

3. As for safes, I keep my HD pistol (and my CCW pistol at night) in a locked safe on the nightstand. Other firearms are kept in another locked safe elsewhere in the house. Car carry piece is kept in a locked safe that is secured via cable under my seat in my car.

While it isn't rocket science, a little bit of thought into the process and equipment seems prudent.

Wheeler
12-02-2014, 11:26 PM
I think Southnarc has a quote out there something like "I'm comfortable watching TV while wearing boxers and fiddling with my balls, that's not how I fight...."

Never meant to imply that the two were synonymous.

Sigfan26
12-03-2014, 12:30 AM

That's not congruent with how i fight?... But i have a pistol at arms reach when in this state (actually both a G17 and a Beretta 92S currently).

Sigfan26
12-03-2014, 12:30 AM
That's not congruent with how i fight?... But i have a pistol at arms reach when in this state (actually both a G17 and a Beretta 92S currently).

Damn, forgot about the j frame in my backpack!

Sigfan26
12-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Ps. This is all wearing boxers and a t-shirt at this very moment.

Chuck Haggard
12-03-2014, 03:28 AM
Never meant to imply that the two were synonymous.

I meant that as a general editorial comment due to the number of people I see/hear trying to justify poor decisions due to "I'm comfortable with it".

I know a guy who lost an LE career, and went to prison for a bit, due to being comfortable with leaving his Glock 22 on the high shelf in the bedroom closet. His three year old son figured out a way to climb up there one day while mom was carrying laundry to the washing machine.

GardoneVT
12-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I meant that as a general editorial comment due to the number of people I see/hear trying to justify poor decisions due to "I'm comfortable with it".

I know a guy who lost an LE career, and went to prison for a bit, due to being comfortable with leaving his Glock 22 on the high shelf in the bedroom closet. His three year old son figured out a way to climb up there one day while mom was carrying laundry to the washing machine.

The above might seem outlandish at first reading.

Here's video evidence its not. If a 3 year old can open a basic pistol safe, leaving a gun out in the open would appear to be a crummy idea.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=erGOJxQIf5c

Wheeler
12-03-2014, 10:59 AM

That was a completely avoidable set of tragic circumstances. I kept everything locked up at all times for a long time. When my son was five we started going over rules loosely based on the Eddie Eagle program. At this point I don't have any issues with his firearm handling abilities at fourteen. If he has friends over, everything gets locked up and certain areas are off-limits. Period. Dot.

It's hard to get people to change their minds. We live in an anecdotal world and statistics are meaningless to most folks except for those that are looking for change or trying to prove a point. While I may not agree with everyone's approach, belittling folks who are looking for info or researching a better method is pointless. I'm speaking generally, not pointing fingers.

ScotchMan
12-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Formerly had an HK45 in a bedside safe, then my carry gun would go on top of the safe at night. 870 5+1 with 6 more on the side and a SureFire X300 nearby. No kids in the house, just me and another adult with firearms experience. Everything gets locked up if there are untrusted guests over.

Eventually I realized that if something did happen in the night, one of two things would happen. I would either go for the 870 if I had time, or the carry gun if I didn't. Any scenario where I would grab the HK45 was a fantasy. So now I store that in the bigger/better safe on the other side of the house and my nightstand gun is my carry gun.

Lost River
12-07-2014, 04:47 PM
I am guilty.

Thinking about what's on my bench right now, and in various states of cleaning, adjusting, awaiting parts, or just stacked in corners, I've got a burglars wet dream in one room in the basement.

Two 30-06 bolt actions, one with a nice u.s. optics scope, one McMillan stocked
300 win mag, a cz bolt action carbine in 7.62x39, a double barrel shotgun, two semi auto .22 rifles, a 16" 30-30 Marlin lever action, two .45 Ruger single action Blackhawks, oh and a .338 win mag (Tikka whitetail) with a spendy piece of glass on it too.

In the garage is my Sako TRG/nightforce combo with Leica rangefinder, and swarovski spotter all conveniently packed in a drag bag (just got back from elk hunting) and a nice old Smith .44 mag...

I really need to do some gear organization and securing before I go to work.

The pot/kettle is that I'm the guy often telling victims that they really should make sure their belongings are locked up and not lying around. Pretty hypocritical really.

Back on the original topic; I have a Glock 19 with white light/laser available to me as a "nightstand" gun. The wife keeps a 4" model 15, .38 special on her side. In fact we keep a multitude of DA .38 revolvers around the house for wife and oldest daughter.

My thought process is that it is not about me and my level of training. It is about the lowest level of training in the house. The DA revolvers will likely get it done.

Not fancy, but they've been protecting hearth and home in this country for over a century, and will still turn an intruder into a callout for the deputy coroner with ease.

AndrewS
12-13-2014, 12:21 PM
My nightstand gun is whatever gun I carried that day. My thought process is: if the gun was good enough for protection during the day it will work during the night. That means, for me, a glock 19 with a WML most of the time, but sometimes it is a M&P Shield, I feel adequately prepared with either weapon. I also take my edc flashlight and put it on the nightstand when I go to bed.

jbourneidentity
12-14-2014, 12:58 AM
My nightstand gun is a Gen 4 Glock 21 .45 equipped with a SureFire X300UL and loaded with Cor-Bon DPX 185-grain all-copper hollowpoints. My sights are Vickers Tactical Battle Sights (tritium front) and I keep a "go-bag" beside the bed equipped with extra G21 mags (same defensive load), Coleman LED flashlight, OC (less lethal force option), SOG folder, CAT tourniquet, and Israeli bandages. I'm considering the future purchase of a refillable cellular telephone from Wal-Mart to keep fully charged and in the go bag as a secondary comms option.

I chose the DPX round for home use though I prefer HST. Overpenetration is my concern though I know the .45 is not famous for it. The reason why I chose the DPX is that my home has classic crappy early 80s architecture with little insulation and weakly constructed interior walls. My son is located at the front of the hallway toward the French all-glass front doors. We are located back down the hallway in the master bedroom toward the back of the house. If an intrusion comes, I expect it to be at the glass doors simply because they are the easiest to breach. My first goal would be to get to my son, and if I have to shoot, I chose the DPX to minimize overpenetration concerns.

I also keep soft body armor in the bedroom for my wife and I am questioning its inclusion into my emergency plan. It may just be too much. The way I have the body armor set up is after we put it on and adjusted it to fit, we loosened the left straps (we're right handed), so that we can put it on and attach the left straps, if necessary, with our non-dominant hands. I'm open to comments and input on the soft body armor idea.

My wife's nightstand gun is a S&W 66-1 .357/.38 revolver loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135-grain +P JHPs. Her go bag is set up with 2 Safariland Comp 2 speedloaders (same defensive load), light and medical supplies as in my go bag. She also keeps her purse in the bedroom at night and it has her Ruger LCR .38 in a purse holster and it's backed up by 2 Five-Star aluminum speedloaders (excellent!) also loaded with Gold Dots.

I have my "Andrew Patti gun" at the front of the house near the glass French doors. It's hidden away but quickly accessible. It is a Glock 22 equipped with an older Streamlight M3 light loaded with Federal HST 165-grain JHPs. I keep it in condition 3 with the magazine downloaded by 1 to preserve the spring during long term storage.

LSP972
12-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Okay, I give up… what's an "Andrew Patti gun"?

JodyH
12-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Okay, I give up… what's an "Andrew Patti gun"?

Read this:
Dartmouth Murders (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8572573/ns/dateline_nbc-books/t/behind-dartmouth-murders/#.VI2rA4rF9FQ)
Andrew Patti answered a suspicious evening knock at the door with a pistol in hand, it saved his families lives.

LSP972
12-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Read this:
Dartmouth Murders (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8572573/ns/dateline_nbc-books/t/behind-dartmouth-murders/#.VI2rA4rF9FQ)
Andrew Patti answered a suspicious evening knock at the door with a pistol in hand, it saved his families lives.

Got it, thanks.

PetRats
12-25-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't have a nightstand or a gun safe by my bed. If I kept it there at night, I might be in the living room watching TV when danger enters my domicile. If that happened, then I would need to run to my bed, and without eyes in the back of my head, I couldn't see what's lurking behind me.

For those who never take their guns off their bodies, well, then you're suitably armed for all occasions - including bathing, twerking, and answering when Nature calls.

That's a bit too much for me.

Then, there are those who have a firearm in every room, including the nightstand. So, instead of having your home decorated in Art Deco, it's decked out in Art Waco.

I have a problem with the whole idea of being awakened from a deep sleep and reaching for my gun before I've had a chance to know if I'm really awake and have to respond to a potential threat. There have been times when my dream was so real, that it took me awhile to confirm that it was no longer in progress - that I had, in fact, awakened from it.

Conversely, there have been times when I thought I was wide awake, only to realize that I was still very much asleep. In those instances, it has taken a lot more than the proverbial pinch on the arm to convince me of that conclusion.

If I'm awakened in the middle of the night, and I proceed to retrieve my gun, I will know that I am not dreaming it.

Now, If I had to put one gun in close proximity to me, wherever I'll be, at any time of day or night, the bedside would not be my first choice.

Why? Because I don't want it taken during a break-in when I'm not at home. Guns are a priority item on the shopping lists of robbers, and I don't want it in the most likely place someone would go look for it.

Speaking of "home," I rent mine, so I cannot do the things I could do if I owned it - such as permanently attaching a gun safe to the wall or floor or installing a "Hide-a-Wall" or something similar. Small biometric safes may be convenient, but if not bolted to the floor or wall, they are not immune to being carted off by some "gentle giant."

Of course, burglars around here are not very sophisticated. They have found that it is much easier to use their gun as a tool to get the home owner to do the work for them.

Items are replaceable. Lives are not. There has been a dramatic rise in the number of home invasions - and, more disturbingly, ones committed by teams of thugs, typically three, where the only tools they need are things to terrorize the homeowner and his family - or worse.

I'd love to tell you where I stuck my fire stick, Kimosabe, but then my secret hiding place would no longer be a secret. Let's just say that its easy to reach when needed, and that it also puts me in a very strategic position.

Even if I was asleep in bed at the time.

My home defender is a 9mm PPX with a taclight on the rails that will soon be replaced by a combo light-&-laser. There's a mag in it and another near it. I also have others on hand, if needed, and in other locations.

Rumor also has it that there's a shotgun lurking around here somewhere - but, it's just a rumor ;-)

They say "A man's home is his castle," but too few men fully understand their State's Castle Doctrine. Read this for an eye-opener:

Montana Shooter Found Guilty Despite State's 'Castle Doctrine' (http://www.npr.org/2014/12/20/372136054/montana-shooter-found-guilty-despite-states-castle-doctrine)

The questions one should ask is how long will it take me to get to my gun, and where is my home's safest location. It should be the place from where you can call 911, verbally warn an intruder, and should the intruder disregard it and pose an imminent threat to your life, be able to stop the threat.

It's a drill that needs to be rehearsed over and over until it becomes second nature.

I have not gotten an EDC yet, but when I do, it will provide another option to the "nightstand" gun

...oh, and also to that mysterious 12 gauge.