PDA

View Full Version : Versamax versus Mossberg 930 JMpro

cclaxton
11-29-2014, 10:09 PM
My Versamax was fresh from the armorer with 3Gun upgrades, and I decided to run a speed test. I shot six rounds as fast I could with the Versamax and the JMpro.
The first two sets of six in each gun just helped me get warmed up. I tested with Rio standard pressure clay target ammo in both guns. I alternated between shotguns for each set of six. On the third run I averaged the splits and here is what I got:
versamax average splits were .25s.
JMpro average splits were .27s.

On the 4-5th shot I noticed the recoil pushing me back with the Versamax.
I did not get pushed back on the JMpro.

The Versamax has a lightened and polished bolt. The JMpro is stock. Both guns are 22 inch barrels. The Versamax is heavier.

I prefer the JMpro due to the reduced recoil. My only issue with the JMpro is I see more failures to feed...usually the last 1-2 rounds may not be pushed out of the tube enough to load. Happens once every 100 rounds or so.

Anyone else want to comment on this comparison?

I am ready to get a FNH SLP
Cody

JV_
11-30-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm not a 3-Gun guy, or much of a shotgun guy, but I do have a question.

In 3-Gun, how important are the split times of a shotgun? The advantage of -0.02s splits seems pretty small and insignificant when you're factoring in other time-eating tasks, like reloads, running, wide target transitions, or dealing with FTFeeds.

cclaxton
11-30-2014, 11:10 AM
I'm not a 3-Gun guy, or much of a shotgun guy, but I do have a question.

In 3-Gun, how important are the split times of a shotgun? The advantage of -0.02s splits seems pretty small and insignificant when you're factoring in other time-eating tasks, like reloads, running, wide target transitions, or dealing with FTFeeds.

I think it is insignificant. There are a few 3gun matches that I remember where I was shooting as fast as I could on some steel plates, and if your reloads are perfect and you don't miss, then it could make a difference.

But the bigger issue is the recoil. The JMpro is more manageable recoil and transitions between targets will be faster. Frankly, I am a bit surprised by the recoil of the Versamax. I really wanna try the FNH CLP because I hear it has low recoil.

If I can get the JM up to 100% reliability, I will be using it in 3gun. I think the issue is the magazine spring and feeding issue.
Cody

joshs
11-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Recoil shouldn't be much of an issue with the shotgun. Reliability, ease of loading, and shooting slugs to PoA are all much more important. There's a reason the most popular shotguns in 3 gun are harder recoiling inertia guns.

cclaxton
11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Recoil shouldn't be much of an issue with the shotgun. Reliability, ease of loading, and shooting slugs to PoA are all much more important. There's a reason the most popular shotguns in 3 gun are harder recoiling inertia guns.
Josh,
You make a good point about slugs. I need to check them out with both guns, but I know the JM has been dead-on. They both seem to be about the same ease of loading, although I am not up to quad-load yet. I think I can get the JMpro up to the same reliability.

Do you use graphite tube lube in your magazine tube? http://www.makereadyproshop.com/accurate-iron-shotgun-magazine-tube-lube-from-accurate-ron/
Pics of the recently modified and upgraded Versamax, done by J&L Gunsmithing, Chesapeake, VA (Jim Jones). Enlarged loading area, welded loading door, upgraded follower, Platinum Cerakote, Briley Bolt release, lightend and polished bolt, RCI 10 round extension, trimmed forend for briley and loading area, Added emergency round holder. Investment so far: $1260 incl Briley IC choke.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MGtuQURoisI/VHuyYt1W97I/AAAAAAAANyM/Awsc9-KORw8/w958-h539-no/20141130_184855.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8eTMy9H4a-8/VHuyYxWJejI/AAAAAAAANyU/MjJrNdABIDs/w444-h789-no/20141130_184532.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GZ3Z2ngoE2E/VHuyYtldpqI/AAAAAAAANyQ/12an6mXIAJo/w444-h789-no/20141130_184820.jpg
Cody