PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M Series Pistols

kcevans
11-27-2014, 04:39 PM
What is every ones thoughts on the Steyr M9A1 pistols.

JodyH
11-27-2014, 05:27 PM
The early one I messed with had severe extraction issues.

JonInWA
11-27-2014, 06:52 PM
That was the same experience I encountered with my M40-which was too bad, as I considered it to be a potential upgrade to the Glock G23...

Reportedly the issues were fixed on subsequent iterations of the Steyr, but my only personal experiences were with my M40.

Best, Jon

nalesq
11-27-2014, 07:09 PM
I was heavily invested in the Steyr M and S series (in 9mm) for several years. Out of 4 guns, 2 had the infamous extraction issues, which were resolved by Steyr sending me upgraded extractors/springs for free when I called them about it. They were great guns thereafter, but I eventually sold them all off when I went to AIWB carry.

GJM
11-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Extremely tight magwell if fast reloads matter.

psalms144.1
11-27-2014, 08:33 PM
I had an M9 for a while, thought it was pretty nice. Decent grip (back in the day when "customizable" grips meant adding a Hogue Handall or nothing), decent trigger, better than Glock accuracy, reasonably lightweight (compared to the issue Sig I was carrying back then). The sights were funky, and, of course, couldn't be replicated in anything FO or tritium. Magazines were hard to find, holster makers were thin on the ground, and it was just generally too much a "look at this cool thing" pistol to be serious.

I don't know what the current distribution method in the US is, I know that it's changed several times over the years (and disappeared altogether at times).

If you're looking for something "unique" to add to a collection, the price is generally right. If you're looking for a serious carry or duty pistol, I'd pass.

Regards,

Kevin

ReverendMeat
11-29-2014, 01:42 AM
Good triggers, good ergos, interesting sights, terrible aftermarket support. If you dig the sights and can find sources for mags and a holster I wouldn't desire to talk you out of it.