PDA

View Full Version : Oooooh, Barra (FN) Barracuda

TR675
11-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Never seen or heard of the FN Barracuda (http://www.jacksonarmory.com/JA/handgunsDetail.php?id=13098) before. But I want it. Won't - can't - mustn't get it. But I want it.

JonInWA
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Didn't those come with a convertible/second cylinder so that you could switch to 9mm? Does this one have it? If so, I'd be jumping all over it.

Best, Jon

TR675
11-24-2014, 04:46 PM
I don't think it comes with the box or any accessories. I didn't see a spare cylinder mentioned on the website.

Dagga Boy
11-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Trust me, my fingerprints are all over that gun. I have had to talk myself down off the ledge on 3 or four occasions on that gun. If it was a Manurhin, it would have been gone already. I want it bad.......just to have one, and am really trying to justify it. It is also sharing a case with a 3" 629 that is also killing me. I am picking up a 6.5" 29-2 there this week........and testing my will. The guys at the shop are always happy to take in FFL transfers for me.........because I tend to also impulse buy while I am there.

If you are ever in Dallas..........go to Jackson Armory, and bring a credit card with some room:D.

Jeep
11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Trust me, my fingerprints are all over that gun. I have had to talk myself down off the ledge on 3 or four occasions on that gun. If it was a Manurhin, it would have been gone already. I want it bad.......just to have one, and am really trying to justify it. It is also sharing a case with a 3" 629 that is also killing me. I am picking up a 6.5" 29-2 there this week........and testing my will. The guys at the shop are always happy to take in FFL transfers for me.........because I tend to also impulse buy while I am there.

If you are ever in Dallas..........go to Jackson Armory, and bring a credit card with some room:D.

That raises a good point. Since the French stopped using them, why aren't more Manurhin's coming to the US? I've wanted one for decades.

TR675
11-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Last time I went to Jackson Armory I walked out with a cherry Auto-5 so I feel your pain and had to limit my visits for just that reason...and because a Significant Life Event is getting set to drain my pocketbook and seriously affect my sleeping patterns in about three months I'm going to have to pass on picking up "Just One More, Honey, I Swear" for a few years.

Dagga Boy
11-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Last time I went to Jackson Armory I walked out with a cherry Auto-5 so I feel your pain and had to limit my visits for just that reason...and because a Significant Life Event is getting set to drain my pocketbook and seriously affect my sleeping patterns in about three months I'm going to have to pass on picking up "Just One More, Honey, I Swear" for a few years.

Stuff like the Barracuda are in my "It would be neat to have" file. I tend to do pretty good with the guys at Jackson Armory as far as trade ins of easier to sell stuff for weird stuff. That Barracuda may be mine yet....;)

Sal Picante
11-25-2014, 05:03 PM
I had one... It is essentially an Astra Revolver from Spain.

I broke it. (Shattered the hammer) Bought an Astra Hammer, replaced it and then sold the pc.
It was a nice gun, but, ultimately, I didn't trust it...

Now... The Manurhin... That's a helluva revo!

Dagga Boy
11-25-2014, 05:31 PM
For a change, I was smart to not impulse buy. The money I would have dropped ended up going to a 3" shrouded barreled model 65 from the S&W custom shop that is one of the coolest revolvers I have ever owned, and something that will actually get carried because I trust it.

Sal Picante
11-25-2014, 08:01 PM
For a change, I was smart to not impulse buy. The money I would have dropped ended up going to a 3" shrouded barreled model 65 from the S&W custom shop that is one of the coolest revolvers I have ever owned, and something that will actually get carried because I trust it.

+1

3" 38 is "teh win"!

Dagga Boy
11-25-2014, 08:27 PM
+1

3" 38 is "teh win"!

Wayne and I shot it with some 125 gr. .357 Magnum, Hornady XTP's.......we are getting old, because it hurt:(. We decided this is a great Speer .38 +P Gold Dot gun, and I'll save those hot .357's for my N frames and the ported L frame.

Jeep
11-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Pics?

Dagga Boy
11-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Pics?

It will have Grey and Black VZ G-10 grips on it tomorrow.

Sal Picante
11-26-2014, 01:15 PM
I'll be in my bunk...

Jeep
11-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Very nice. I have a Model 64 with a 3 inch barrel that is perhaps my favorite revolver. Let us know how those VZ grips work.

Alpha Sierra
12-02-2014, 01:46 PM
It will have Grey and Black VZ G-10 grips on it tomorrow.

I think I need a cigarette.....

zeleny
12-02-2014, 06:31 PM
That raises a good point. Since the French stopped using them, why aren't more Manurhin's coming to the US? I've wanted one for decades.The MR73 is still issued by GIGN and others. Chapuis (http://www.chapuis-armes.com/modules/presta_retails/prestaretails.php) lists several importers stateside. If they can export guns from France, they are way ahead of me. Brace yourself for the sticker shock.

Dagga Boy
12-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Thankfully, it was gone at Jackson Armory............so I bought the Lew Horton 3" .44 Mag instead:p.

Dagga Boy
12-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Well, the bidder didn't pony up funds....it's back...

BN
12-11-2014, 07:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkitLUbeEg

:)

Lyonsgrid
02-13-2015, 07:07 PM
Aim Surplus just had some MR73's.....sold out......I hate my slow interwebbing skills.

LHS
02-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Aim Surplus just had some MR73's.....sold out......I hate my slow interwebbing skills.

They even had 3" MR73s. And yeah, they went faster than hell.

Lyonsgrid
02-13-2015, 07:21 PM
I must have a drink...

jetfire
02-13-2015, 07:35 PM
They even had 3" MR73s. And yeah, they went faster than hell.

I also got there too late for those.

LSP972
02-13-2015, 07:45 PM
While I'll confess to not ever having even seen one in the flesh, I really don't understand all the moisture regarding the Manhurins. DB, what does it offer that a clean 3.5" M-27 doesn't???

Ditto the Korth. I HAVE fondled/shot a few of those… and again, I just don't see the allure over a pristine 40s-50s vintage Heavy Duty or Registered Magnum.

Dagga Boy
02-13-2015, 10:13 PM
While I'll confess to not ever having even seen one in the flesh, I really don't understand all the moisture regarding the Manhurins. DB, what does it offer that a clean 3.5" M-27 doesn't???

Ditto the Korth. I HAVE fondled/shot a few of those… and again, I just don't see the allure over a pristine 40s-50s vintage Heavy Duty or Registered Magnum.

I like weird guns and appreciate stuff for being a piece of history. My best friend spent a bunch of time with GIGN and always talked about how good they were with the MR73's, so I always kind of wanted one. Luckily, my logical side has done well and I am hoarding solid fighting revolvers. I have a 3.5" 27 and a 4" 28 in front of me watching TV right now. I also just bought a wonderful custom 3"681 and a 1950 Target 4" .44 Spl. So essentially, I get it. I was at Jackson Armory today and the barracuda is still there. If I had not just bought those other two guns, the 5" 27-2 would have come home with me instead of the Barracuda as much as I think it would be "neat" to have the Barracuda.

LSP972
02-13-2015, 10:23 PM
Okay, I get it now.

I'm the same way with old service autos. For instance, I would dearly love to have a Broomhandle.

I got to fondle a genuine Luger carbine the other day. It was complete, with the original fitted leather case and all accoutrements. I would tool up to load .30 Luger (or .30 Mauser for the C96) in a heartbeat for those, despite how much I despise fooling with bottleneck cases.

Jeep
02-14-2015, 01:28 PM

The Korth does nothing for me but the MR-73? A beautiful revolver and even more importantly it is built like a tank without looking like it is built like a tank. Now, if I had to choose between an MR-73 and a 3.5 inch Model 27, I'm not sure which I would take, but the word "both" comes to mind.

I'm just hoping that a lot more MR-73's get imported.

RevolverRob
02-14-2015, 01:41 PM

I must have a drink...

I cried a little (a lot).

Oh well, better excuse for me to go to France and bring one back (or two...they have the Target model in .32 S&W Long over there...).

Dagga Boy
02-14-2015, 02:31 PM
The Korth does nothing for me but the MR-73? A beautiful revolver and even more importantly it is built like a tank without looking like it is built like a tank. Now, if I had to choose between an MR-73 and a 3.5 inch Model 27, I'm not sure which I would take, but the word "both" comes to mind.

I'm just hoping that a lot more MR-73's get imported.

Okay, that is just crazy talk............some French revolver over Gen. George S. Patton's "Killing Gun"...no way:mad:. Do I want a Manurhin "just because", yes. Would I ever get rid of any of my 3.5" .357 Magnums for one...not a fricking chance.

Jeep
02-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Okay, that is just crazy talk............some French revolver over Gen. George S. Patton's "Killing Gun"...no way:mad:. Do I want a Manurhin "just because", yes. Would I ever get rid of any of my 3.5" .357 Magnums for one...not a fricking chance.

Note: I said a model 27 would be a tossup--not a Registered Magnum. Now, of course, there is this whole "French" thing, which obviously takes away from the MR-73, but I take solace that Manhurin was actually located in Alsace, not French, France (yeah, it's kind of grasping at straws, but I'll take what I can get). And, as much as I like Smith's, what S&W can fire over 150, full-house, 158 grain rounds per day for year after year (even if that means only around 200 days a year because of all the French holidays and vacation days)? Some folks say that in their opinion the MR-73 was the best combat revolver ever made.

So yeah--M 27 or MR-73 is a toss up for me, with "both" the preferred answer and "neither" the present, and probably continuing, reality.

Dagga Boy
02-14-2015, 11:02 PM
So what you guys are saying is that because I missed out on the Manurhin's, I should just grab the 5" 27-2 as sort of a next best thing...;)

Jeep
02-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Nope. You ought to buy that 5" 27-2 because its a 5" 27-2. Even if you don't shoot it, it'll be like buying Microsoft stock in 1990.

Dagga Boy
02-15-2015, 10:16 PM
You guys will notice it takes very minimal enabling with me. I have always considered the 3.5" Model 27 to be the best looking most serious bad ass revolver made.......while the 5" is the classy version of same. In my demented mind, the 27's should be in 3.5 or 5" while the Highway Patrolman (model 28) should be in 4" or 6". Doesn't have to make sense, and I figure only Tam will get it.....;).

Jeep
02-16-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm thinking that a 3.5" Model 28 with some holster wear might get your attention too.

Come to think of it, are there any mediocre N frames at all?

Dagga Boy
02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Nope. You ought to buy that 5" 27-2 because its a 5" 27-2. Even if you don't shoot it, it'll be like buying Microsoft stock in 1990.

Well I passed on the 5" 27 as it had a few things that I was concerned with......and there was something else there I may want more..:-).

Still had a great day picking up some very cool guns and my 3" Model 10 will be home from Robar tomorrow.

Trooper224
02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
… and again, I just don't see the allure over a pristine 40s-50s vintage Heavy Duty or Registered Magnum.

Blasphemy! I just threw up in my mouth.

Up1911Fan
02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Well I passed on the 5" 27 as it had a few things that I was concerned with......and there was something else there I may want more..:-).

Still had a great day picking up some very cool guns and my 3" Model 10 will be home from Robar tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing that Model 10 as I picked one up as well.

Dagga Boy
02-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Ask and you shall receive....it is wicked nice!

LtDave
02-17-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm thinking that a 3.5" Model 28 with some holster wear might get your attention too.

Come to think of it, are there any mediocre N frames at all?

None. I was watching an Alvin White engraved Model 28 on Gunbroker and almost convinced myself I had to have it, but couldn't pull the trigger when it hit $3000. How many engraved M28’s could there be?

Jeep
02-17-2015, 10:43 PM
None. I was watching an Alvin White engraved Model 28 on Gunbroker and almost convinced myself I had to have it, but couldn't pull the trigger when it hit $3000. How many engraved M28’s could there be?

I had never heard of one, but I'd have passed long before $3000. Indeed, I never thought we'd be hearing about four digit prices for Model 28's.

Jeep
02-17-2015, 10:44 PM

That looks like a serious revolver.

Dagga Boy
02-17-2015, 10:49 PM
That looks like a serious revolver.

Between the Nill grips that are like an extension of your hand and the 3" lighter weight barrel, the thing is amazing at how well it just lines up on anything you point it at.

Up1911Fan
02-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Between the Nill grips that are like an extension of your hand and the 3" lighter weight barrel, the thing is amazing at how well it just lines up on anything you point it at.

Look's good. What was all done while it was at Robar? Thought i'd read about you having a gold line installed in the front site?

Jeep
02-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes--let us know about the front sight. The only thing I don't like about my 3" M 64 is the stainless front sight. I keep playing around with "solutions" but I've found nothing yet that lets me rapidly acquire the front sight.

LHS
02-18-2015, 01:27 PM

Sick.. In a good way

Dagga Boy
02-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Look's good. What was all done while it was at Robar? Thought i'd read about you having a gold line installed in the front site?

The gold did not work with the NP3, so a cool solution was done. A groove was cut into the front sight than can be filled with whatever color paint, melted crayon, or nail polish I want. It has a fluorescent red paint in it now.
The whole gun was NP3'd, hammer bobbed, and the front sight groove. The NP3 in the internals gave it an amazing trigger.

45dotACP
02-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Man, that pistol is just beautiful. Makes me wanna get my 4" 64 sent off someplace for a chop.

Maybe when the tax return rolls in....

Mike Pipes
02-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Sweet.....................clark custom is working on chopping,bobbing,rounding and bead blasting a 64 for me right now......cya

Brian T
02-18-2015, 06:18 PM
Nyeti, you might take a wonder over to GT to see what's left of their PRSP guns. There are quite a few sub-$225 M-10-5 with 4 in HBs, and some sub-$275 M65-3s. A Colt Cobra there keeps calling me.

Dagga Boy
02-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Nyeti, you might take a wonder over to GT to see what's left of their PRSP guns. There are quite a few sub-$225 M-10-5 with 4 in HBs, and some sub-$275 M65-3s. A Colt Cobra there keeps calling me.

I have outrun the credit card this month.....by a lot. Besides, I need to drop twice the purchase price of a model 10 again on making it just right like a hole in the head.

Jeep
02-19-2015, 10:10 AM
I have outrun the credit card this month.....by a lot. Besides, I need to drop twice the purchase price of a model 10 again on making it just right like a hole in the head.

Next month starts in less than two weeks . . . .

BigT
02-19-2015, 02:18 PM
You guys will notice it takes very minimal enabling with me. I have always considered the 3.5" Model 27 to be the best looking most serious bad ass revolver made.......while the 5" is the classy version of same. In my demented mind, the 27's should be in 3.5 or 5" while the Highway Patrolman (model 28) should be in 4" or 6". Doesn't have to make sense, and I figure only Tam will get it.....;).
While I am not Tam nor do I play her on the internet, this makes perfect sense to me. :)