PDA

View Full Version : glock 19 parts breakage

Steve m
07-29-2011, 05:39 AM
In my unit we use Glock 19, interesting observation this past month we have had two slide lock springs break. Thank goodness this was while we were on the range and not in combat. To be fair we got these used from another unit. We replaced the recoil, firingpin and trigger springs in them. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have never before and I have been shooting glocks for a while now. We run sure-fire x300s don't know if that has anything to do with it. I don't blame the gun, I blame us for lack of proper replacement of parts.

ToddG
07-29-2011, 05:45 AM
It's not at all uncommon depending on the vintage of the pistol. I've seen multiple Glocks launch slides downrange due to this. Our own GermanSynergy has experienced it first hand much to the amusement of those of us who were present at the time. :cool:

I am replacing the slide lock spring on my endurance test gun every 15,000 rounds. Some folks replace theirs even more often and I wouldn't call it paranoid, especially when you consider what an inexpensive part it is.

And not to sound preachy, but if I "inherited" a gun from a team/unit/department the first thing I would do is replace every single spring and pin.

Steve m
07-29-2011, 06:30 AM
your absolutaly correct about replacing all springs. It was something we completely over looked. When I get back Im gonna try and make culpepper for one of your classes they sound like great training.

Kyle Reese
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
As stated, I've experienced it myself during a class, much to my consternation and the amusement of the class. :cool:

Todd is 100% spot on in his assessment. Springs are cheap.

JonInWA
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I've seen it happen as well, to another competitor during an IDPA match. If it breaks off at the installation recess in the frame, it can be a bit of a pain to remove the stub fragment-preventive maintenance replacement as ToddG recommends is definitely the smarter way to go. An additional thing to know is that if you have a "wasp-waisted" slide lock spring in your compact Glock (where the spring thins out in the middle) replace it immediately-Glock came out with an improved (stronger) straight-sided spring several years ago.

Best, Jon

Gadfly
07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Never on my personal gun… But back when our agencies issued G19’s, I had to change 3 broken take down catch springs, and one broken take down catch. This was over about a 2 year period with about 150 Glock 19s in the inventory. The take down catch split in half, and each half fell out of the gun, sending the slide flying… I have no ideal of the round count on these pistols, as they were allready in the inventory when I started doing the armorer duty. Still, to keep all the extra springs, pins, and parts on hand to keep your Glock running is cheap. So I have several spare small parts just in case.

On my Glock 22, I have managed to snap a trigger housing pin in half, but the takedown catch and spring are fine.