PDA

View Full Version : Strong/Weak Shooting

QuickMick
11-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Folks,
did my first three IPSC matches and performed surprisingly well by not getting DQed and being in the top five at some stages with "long" distance shooting. I know I have to go faster, but one problem killed my results dramatically: one hand shooting. I use a CZ75 shadow without any modifications, making 296/300 when shooting precision at 20 yards, but weak or strong hand only is a nightmare. Any hints for grip and stand? How to train that?

Thx & DVC
Mike

GJM
11-17-2014, 02:57 PM
This subject is near and dear to me, as I used to SUCK at one hand shooting. I don't think there is a trick, or easy solution.

Something that worked for me, was to get a DA .22 revolver and shoot thousands of rounds with one hand. If you can steer the sights while managing a long, heavy trigger, you can shoot about anything with one hand. It is critical to press the trigger straight back, as you don't have a second hand to mask imperfections in the trigger press. I also think it is important to keep the trigger moving, and try to roll the trigger to get a surprise break, to reduce anticipation.

Mr Pink
12-05-2014, 06:34 PM
To add to GJM's recommendation, I incorporated a pistol magazine of one handed shooting for each hand at the end of my training sessions. A year later, it was a non-issue. I'd also recommend one-handed dry firing.

gtmtnbiker98
12-05-2014, 06:41 PM
About 30% of all my shooting consists if SHO/WHO shooting. It's that important.

Mr Pink
12-06-2014, 10:17 AM
About 30% of all my shooting consists if SHO/WHO shooting. It's that important.
I guess "important" would depend on your goals and sport. I've shot matches throughout a year without any SHO/WHO. Interesting enough USPSA classifiers and the IDPA classifier both have SHO/WHO stages/strings. Depending on your goals and shooting level, it might be better to focus on target transitions and splits.

Roger's Shooting School puts heavy emphasis on SHO/WHO shooting, but I did well there because I had already been shooting a magazine of pistol SHO/WHO at the end of my training sessions for over a year.

ChrisLapre
12-08-2014, 09:59 PM
The best way to improve support hand shooting that i have found was to invest in a left hand holster and shoot bulls-eyes. Yes I sucked at first but if you concentrate on the basics you will see rapid improvement. Do the same bulls-eye strong hand, concentrating on basic fundamentals. Speed will increase as it is a natural byproduct of training.

Chris

1slow
12-09-2014, 12:00 AM
Had right arm in cast, broke both forearm bones near wrist April 2012. Plate + 11 screws in, out later.
4,000 rounds LHO mainly 25 yard 6''x6'' head plates and 7yd speed headshots.
Helped my weak hand LH shooting. I had also done lots of it over the years.

Mr Pink
12-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Had right arm in cast, broke both forearm bones near wrist April 2012. Plate + 11 screws in, out later.

Helped my weak hand LH shooting.
That's not a preferred technique for learning to shoot LHO ;)

1slow
12-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Was not mine either but I did not get a vote.

Wendell
12-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Some videos are worth a million words. Dave Harrington (http://panteao.com/instructors/dave-harrington/)'s dry-fire training is especially heavy on ambidexterity.

QuickMick
12-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks folks, had a lot of dry firing and learned some more of the basic techniques for one hand shooting with regards to stance and grip during the last weeks. In my last IPSC match the strong hand stage was my best one ;) Some hints for others: dry fire close to a wall to see whether your muzzle moves when pulling the trigger (also my weak hand had to learn about trigger reset). I was really frustrated having a perfect sight picture but not shooting As. One exercise was to shoot a whole magazine on a steel plate taking all the time I need to make every shot a hit.