PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Dog Adoption

Matt O
11-12-2014, 12:09 PM
My wife and I have been looking to get a dog for a while and we're finally in a location/situation that would allow us to do so. Since there are a lot of experienced dog owners here, I thought I'd solicit some advice/thoughts. Neither my wife or I have ever had dogs before, so we're feeling pretty noobish about the whole process.

Since this will be a new experience for us, we were thinking a dog that's already past its puppy stage would likely be ideal, primarily in terms of ease of training and the fact that neither of us have the time to deal with a puppy. We're not absolutely partial to a particular breed, though my natural preferences run towards dogs like German Shepherds, Boxers, etc., based on their personality and traits.

We were also thinking that adopting a rescue would potentially be a pretty awesome way to give a dog an opportunity at a home it might not have otherwise. That said, some of the rescue organizations appear to be a bit invasive in their adoption vetting policies. We've also heard mixed feedback about dogs sometimes having emotional baggage from abusive previous owners. As the dog would become part of the family, I'd want to be able to trust them around our kids (when that time comes), etc.

So with all that being said, any recommendations or tips for this process? On breeds? On adopting a rescue dog, etc.?

In terms of rescue organizations, does anyone in Virginia have experience with Virginia German Shepherd Rescue? Any other places to look?

Thanks!

jetfire
11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
We adopted a rescue pit bull from the local breed specific rescue group; so I'll speak to a couple of relevant issues. First, emotional baggage: our dog is not good around other dogs or small children. We knew that coming into getting him, and we don't have any children or other dogs. Don't adopt a rescue that's bad with kids expecting to make it like your kids, while it can be trained you're just asking for trouble. Try to get as much information about the dog's history as possible so you can be prepared for any issues he may have; for example our dog gets night terrors and is extremely emotionally attached to us, to the point of getting separation anxiety if we leave him alone in his crate for more than a couple of hours. We've spent a lot of time and effort working with him on the anxiety, and he's getting better.

As far as invasive adoption processes go, it's not unusual when you're dealing with breed specific rescue groups. We adopted Ruger from the local pit bull rescue group as I mentioned. When you adopt from a breed specific rescue, you're usually adopting the dog from people who are emotionally invested in the breed and that specific dog's well being. It's only natural they'll want to make sure he or she goes to a good home.

orionz06
11-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Baggage is real. Breed specific groups are very helpful.

Vetting policies are where I disagree a little but bad owners are a very real concern. The home is only part of it though.

One thing I've learned recently with our "rescue" Boston terrier is that when they come from a bad home tone and mannerisms matter a lot. It can be difficult at times.

Malamute
11-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm all about rescue dogs. Most of mine have been rescues, and I whole heartedly encourage them. Contact the rescues in your area and talk to the people, explain your situation, and if you can, go spend some time with the dogs, getting to know the breed and some of the dogs, and just experiencing time around them getting used to them. You'll probably start to see individual personality traits and be able to recognize some of the good ones. Listen to the rescue peoples suggestions on which dogs theyd suggest for you, they have experience in this and want the people and dogs to work together. Not all rescues have issues, some are simply the result of back luck, like their owners died or some such thing, and are great dogs.

Being new at dogs in general, they will be very interested in knowing about you, and that's not a bad thing. They have a vested interest in finding compatible homes for their dogs. New people to dogs can be a challenge, as many people don't really quite understand dogs and whats needed to keep them happy and fit in with the family. If you have a temper or anger issues at times, you may want to reconsider, as the dog, good or bad, is often a product of how its treated and how well people understand them. Patience is a sterling quality with dogs, especially new to you. One episode of freaking out that they ate your favorite shoes or rug (or car seat or seatbelt....)can change the way a dog sees you and trusts you. Some dogs are really easy keepers, some take a bit more time and work for everyone to be happy. Mostly they are trying to figure out what the rules and expectations are. Getting a dog isn't like being able to park an unused vehicle until you have time for it, they need some of your time every day, even when you don't feel like it or are in a bad mood, but can return far more than they are given, if you come to terms with them and their needs. A good dog can truly become part of the family. No, they aren't people, but have some amazing qualities that many people are lacking at times. My dogs have generally all made me laugh every day and been a blast to be around most of the time.

NEPAKevin
11-12-2014, 01:23 PM
My only experience with a breed specific rescue organization was back in 1999 with Save a Shepherd Rescue Alliance (SASRA) of SEPA and was pretty straight forward and painless. Some years later, when Bear passed and we were ready for another dog, I looked at their website and the application over twice as many pages with some questions that bordered on invasive but were more like "do you know what you are getting into? " We did not go that route as our vet came to us with a GSD that needed re-homing which was much more convenient. I personally prefer a full grown dog as they are generally house broken, hopefully have known issues, and are in greater need of a home than cute, adorable, puppies.

Matt O
11-12-2014, 01:50 PM
The feedback is much appreciated gents.

To be clear, I absolutely acknowledge and respect the desire to put an animal in a good home, particularly as that's the main motivating factor for us looking to adopt a rescue dog in the first place. Vetting policies seem to vary by organization, so we'll see what happens.

The emphasis on patience is a good reminder. I've begun doing some reading on obedience and how to assert and teach obedience, house rules, family structure, etc. Clearly I've got a lot to learn here though!

Ultimately, we very much want to the dog to be an integral part of the family for as long as he/she lives, so forming a strong and positive bond is of the utmost importance. After the adoption, we would absolutely plan on getting professional training, as much if not more so for ourselves as for the dog.

LittleLebowski
11-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Boxers tend to drop dead, literally (happened to a forum member here). They don't have a lot of personality traits in common with GSDs despite what you may read online.

I think that the sweet spot on adopting is 1yr-2yrs. You can definitely go older if you know who owned the dog before (so that you know that the dog has no issues).

I've adopted a GSD and a Belgian Mal; now have a GSD one year old I've raised from 6 months on. There's certainly less issues with getting a pup insofar as emotional problems but there's chewing and general puppy behavior you have to put up with.

The current wave of Belgian Mal ownership hysteria has folks forgetting that a good GSD is a formidable, working dog that is athletic and has a built in guarding instinct. They need exercise and more importantly, mental stimulation. You don't want a GSD that has been encouraged to bite, you don't want a fearful GSD.

The GSD rescue organizations in NoVA are crazy. Just. Crazy. Don't get excited about adopting from them unless you've made it through their insane vetting procedure.

LittleLebowski
11-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Matt, PM me or respond to the thread any time. Been in your shoes on this one.

tremiles
11-12-2014, 03:40 PM
One idea you may want to consider is volunteering for a local rescue org that specializes in the breed you're interested in. It may be helpful in discovering if your family is right for the breed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Charlie Foxtrot
11-12-2014, 04:22 PM
We've adopted 3 GSDs through Coastal German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County (California.) And highly recommend them and the apoption process. All three dogs took some work, a lot of love and became great dogs.

Talk to a local vet - they'll know who the best adoption agencies are. Don't be put off by the vetting process. Coastal obviously loves the breed - and were exacting about the vetting process. They'd rather lose a dog then place them in an abusive situation. A good agency will evaluate the dog - and the potential adopters - to get the best fit between the two.

Work on building a relationship with the agency: talk and listen to them. Continue to communicate after the adoption. We got a rep with Coastal as being capable of handling the "hard cases." This allowed us to adopt a wonderful police dog that was exhibiting dominance issues. Four other adopters were not as lucky. We had an "interesting" three weeks until who was the Alpha was established - and turned into one of the best dogs we've ever had.

I think you're on the right track with a rescue agency. Chose the right one - and together you'll likely to chose the right dog too.

zeleny
11-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I had two Akitas. I bought the male as the pick of the litter on his day of birth and took delivery two weeks later. I adopted the female when she was four months old. The male dog ended up sweet-tempered, albeit dog-aggressive as per the breed standards. The bitch was whiny, sneaky, and mean.

I like the idea of animal rescue, but not its practice. To my mind, the key point is that professionally bred and delivered animals need responsible owners no less than those that have been abandoned. Also, the practice of neutering rescued animals does not sit well with me, being against the Jewish law.

JHC
11-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Boxers tend to drop dead, literally (happened to a forum member here). They don't have a lot of personality traits in common with GSDs despite what you may read online.

I think that the sweet spot on adopting is 1yr-2yrs. You can definitely go older if you know who owned the dog before (so that you know that the dog has no issues).

I've adopted a GSD and a Belgian Mal; now have a GSD one year old I've raised from 6 months on. There's certainly less issues with getting a pup insofar as emotional problems but there's chewing and general puppy behavior you have to put up with.

The current wave of Belgian Mal ownership hysteria has folks forgetting that a good GSD is a formidable, working dog that is athletic and has a built in guarding instinct. They need exercise and more importantly, mental stimulation. You don't want a GSD that has been encouraged to bite, you don't want a fearful GSD.

The GSD rescue organizations in NoVA are crazy. Just. Crazy. Don't get excited about adopting from them unless you've made it through their insane vetting procedure.

Too weird! Our rescued boxer keeled over dead as a stone a couple months ago from heart failure. She was about 10. It's ok. Everybody dies. She was a delight. She had a hellish early life but a great final 7 years. Glad to have known her.

I'm a sucker for saving a dog. We'll rescue or adopt again one of these days. We've still got a geezer male boxer who is hanging on.

LittleLebowski
11-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Too weird! Our rescued boxer keeled over dead as a stone a couple months ago from heart failure. She was about 10. It's ok. Everybody dies. She was a delight. She had a hellish early life but a great final 7 years. Glad to have known her.

I'm a sucker for saving a dog. We'll rescue or adopt again one of these days. We've still got a geezer male boxer who is hanging on.

Note: JHC was not the forum member I was initially referring to with regards to having a boxer suddenly and unexpectedly die.

MDS
11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
I've adopted more dogs than I can recount. A good number were family pets from my childhood. Most of them, more than half at least, I rescued, rehabilitated, and rehomed. Now, while I loved every dog I ever had, not all of them would have been appropriate for a house with a 2-year-old and a 3-year-old. So this time I didn't do a rescue. I felt a little guilty, but I did the karma math and I think I'm still ahead. Charlie, my current year-old GSD, is the first dog I've ever paid for - from a top-notch breeder with totally transparency about the blood lines and kennel conditions. Charlie's nothing out of the ordinary, just a standard GSD in every way. What really makes me appreciate the breeder's work is how totally glitch-free she is. She has absolutely no quirks. Which is still surprising to me when I think about it, because I'd gotten so used to rescue dogs. Don't get me wrong - in spite of our best efforts to keep an eye on her, she found enough alone time to pee on the rug a couple of times and chew 2 shoes and the rear wheel cover in my Outback. But that's just puppy stuff. (We actually thought about getting an older dog from the breeder who was almost a year old at the time, not only house-trained but obedience-trained as well. But who can resist a GSD puppy? :D ) And we were careful enough, and Charlie learned quickly enough, that we very probably saved money in the end compared to getting a rescue puppy, because of all the things she didn't chew, just because her rock-solid temperament and disposition made her that much easier to raise through puppyhood. Crate training was zero issues. Obedience training was an amazing bonding experience. I take her to the woods when I go shooting, tie her up a safe distance from the noise, and she happily chases her tail or digs at the base of a tree or just naps while I blaze away. Nothing phases her. Just totally glitch-free. Exactly what I was hoping for because it makes me so confident to have her around the kids. We lock them alone in a room with no safety concerns, though she will wake them with kisses if she spends the night with them...

Anyway, I'll stop ranting about Charlie. My point is that a rescue can be a bit of a gamble. I'll stop short of recommending against it, but I do strongly recommend that you do your homework, even overdo it, if you want a rescue as a first-time dog owner, and most especially if there are kids involved. Just the fact that you're reaching out for advice gives me lots of confidence that you're going to do just that. As you do, I think you'll find that GSD's and Boxers are very different in some important fundamental ways. A boxer is a bit more of a playmate where the GSD really just needs a job. These attitudes can look similar, like they'll both fetch, but the GSD will fetch like it's life and death, compared to the goofier boxer who'll fetch like it's a game. Depends on what you want. If you have the time and inclination to really work with the dog, I can't recommend GSD's enough. If you don't have a lot of time to work with the dog, consider something else. A boxer is a great companion - basically a giant lap dog in some ways - and they can be great with kids if they're properly handled, but they have a lot of energy and you need a daily workout to see them at their best, in my limited experience with them. They're so energetic and affectionate, that I'd want to work him out twice a day if there were little kids in the house. The good old labrador retriever may not be the dog-marketing rage today, but it is a proven, versatile family dog if well bred, easy to train and with a great temperament. Perfect first dog, especially if you only do the basic Petco training and don't want to spend time every day "working."

Congratulations on your decision. I might suggest that you get a puppy, too. Less chance of baggage from a bad upbringing. And I know some will disagree but I think there are enough similarities that it will give you a taste of what's to come with a baby. The merest sample. The puppy is a single shrimp, if you will, from the shrimp cocktail appetizer, whereas a baby is the full 7-course dinner. But still, you will clean pee and poo and a couple of valuable things will be broken. Enjoy, you will remember it all fondly. ;)

JHC
11-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Note: JHC was not the forum member I was initially referring to with regards to having a boxer suddenly and unexpectedly die.

So that's TWO! At least. We later learned one of her siblings also rescued died the same way. Sudden death at age 10-ish is not the worst end for a boxer. Dang we love their personalities. In our experience they're sort of 50/50 as far as being super watchdog guardians. This departed female would welcome anyone in at any time. The old male, nobody.

LittleLebowski
11-12-2014, 06:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_cardiomyopathy

GJM
11-12-2014, 07:11 PM
I think saving a dog is laudable, and appreciate the desire to get a "post" puppy.

Another approach is to get a puppy. We got our Vizsla, Astro, at six weeks, which many consider early, and fully integrated her into our pack. She has been the best dog we have ever had and the best dog imaginable. The puppy period allows you to start them from ground zero and mold them into the dog you want, with the least possible baggage.

And you get to see this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/puppy3_zps513bb402.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/puppy3_zps513bb402.jpg.html)

become this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/puppy2_zpsbb3bd665.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/puppy2_zpsbb3bd665.jpg.html)

and then this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/puppy5_zps3278ab7e.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/puppy5_zps3278ab7e.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/puppy4_zpscc7d6c87.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/puppy4_zpscc7d6c87.jpg.html)

Of course, as long as it means getting a dog, it is all good. There are few things better in the world than a dog!

LittleLebowski
11-12-2014, 07:53 PM
The OP and his wife work; hence the desire for an older dog.

SeriousStudent
11-12-2014, 11:29 PM
The nice thing about rescue dogs, is that sometimes they rescue you back.

I am a fan.

idahojess
11-13-2014, 02:48 AM
Lots of good advice here, and I don't disagree with any of it.
I'm not a dog expert; I've had a total of three dogs that were "mine": an Australian Shepherd that I got when I was 10, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that I got when I was 25 and a German Shorthair (GSP) that I got a few years ago after the Chessie passed. The GSP was free to a good home at a little less than two years old (I paid the owners for him because he was papered, and I felt bad for them). He is a great dog, but I do feel like it took a little expertise in getting him squared away.
There are a lot of good books out there, with a lot of good theories about training and breeds. I'd recommend reading as much as possible --whatever you can find at your local library.
Also, I really recommend getting a dog in the spring, if you can. The winter is a crappy time to have a dog -- leashed walks in the dark after work aren't as good for bonding as romps in the field. If you do get a puppy, which can be work, it's much easier to deal with in the decent weather, when you can leave them out a bit.

Also, Good luck! Life is much better with a dog!

JAD
11-13-2014, 07:25 AM
I've adopted mutts my whole adult life. I believe in hybrid vigor and the most miscegenated dogs I've had have had the best temperaments. The latest is Katie, a lab / GSD mix that favors the lab side. She came to the shelter aged about two (I now guess a bit younger) after having dropped several litters. She's dynamite -- good with the other dog, good with the kid, good alone and good in the pack.

JHC
11-13-2014, 08:10 AM
GJM - it was a thrill to meet Astro last Spring after dinner up in Ellijay. The pics don't do justice to how adorable and affectionate he is.

Shellback
11-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Boxers tend to drop dead, literally (happened to a forum member here).

Been very busy with work, school, family and BJJ so I'm not online nearly as much anymore. LL is referring to my Boxer, I believe, who died at 3 years of age from cardiomyopathy. We got her as a puppy and she was a phenomenal dog in every way. Great with commands, very loyal and protective, great with kids and an all around exceptional dog. She ran anywhere from 3 to 5 miles a day with my wife and was ripped!

However, she literally fell over and died at the park while playing ball with my wife and infant son. No real warning, nothing. It was a huge loss for us. But, thank to LL's help, he found us a 6 year old Malinois that has turned out to be an amazing dog for our family. We got him fully trained, he was a working K-9, but the wife has softened him up quite a bit. He's outstanding with the kids, never flinches, and is a fearless protector of our family.

A few random notes... A Malinois is a different temperament than a GSD so LL can address that better than I. Both boxers and mals have very different personalities. I think Boxer is more of a friendly, happy, playful dog while the Mal is definitely more business. But some pros and cons for both Mal and Boxer that I've noticed...

Boxer = all around very friendly, great family and kid dog, tons of happy, playful energy. Also, shed a lot and lick like crazy. Love to "play".

Malinois = friendly to known people, great family and kid dog, not a licker, lots of energy for work and not nearly as "playful." Also, needy and attached to the hip with their Alpha.

Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters too much. In my opinion I would get a Boxer for a playful, fun, happy dog and a Mal for a more serious, working type guard dog.

JMorse
11-13-2014, 09:19 PM
I have 2 rescued German Shepherds and pulled one from the pound. Great breed for sure. I think a rescue org is a fantastic way to go, especially if the dog has been fostered by one of the members. They really get to know a dogs personality and can fill you in on great detail if they think it'll be a good fit for you. I'd be happy to put you in touch with the one I'm involved with, or as IRISH said the one in Orange County, CA is also fantastic. They'll ship the dog for you if you find one here you like. I'll be more than happy to help if you go that route, especially if you go with Westside German Shepherd Rescue. Really, really great organization.

LittleLebowski
11-13-2014, 09:27 PM
I have 2 rescued German Shepherds and pulled one from the pound. Great breed for sure. I think a rescue org is a fantastic way to go, especially if the dog has been fostered by one of the members. They really get to know a dogs personality and can fill you in on great detail if they think it'll be a good fit for you. I'd be happy to put you in touch with the one I'm involved with, or as IRISH said the one in Orange County, CA is also fantastic. They'll ship the dog for you if you find one here you like. I'll be more than happy to help if you go that route, especially if you go with Westside German Shepherd Rescue. Really, really great organization.

The rescue orgs local to the OP and I will absolutely say no if both spouses work as in the OP's case.

I can only imagine the cost of shipping a dog from CA to VA; not trying to be a downer.

JMorse
11-14-2014, 10:58 AM
The rescue orgs local to the OP and I will absolutely say no if both spouses work as in the OP's case.
I can only imagine the cost of shipping a dog from CA to VA; not trying to be a downer.

Frankly I'd much rather find a local dog you can see in person and find out if it's a good fit rather than taking someone's word for it. Just suggesting an option is all.

ford.304
11-14-2014, 01:05 PM
I used to foster for a Doberman rescue. The best thing about a good breed specific rescue place is that they will try to warn you off of the breed if it doesn't fit your lifestyle, and on top of that even warn you off of specific dogs. I know I steered one couple away from our first rescue dog - he was pushy and dominant as hell, and I could tell he was going to walk all over them, leaving none of them happy.

Some rescue groups are actually as crazy as they sound on their websites. Most of them, however, are really just doing a check that you either have a good place for the dog, or have a realistic and grounded expectation of how you are going to work your lifestyle around them if you don't. We were fostering Dobermans as a two-income couple - but I also ran a mile every morning. Hey, guess how the dog got his exercise! If you don't have a fenced yard, and you want a big dog, you had better have plans for how you're going to get them exercise, and a schedule that will actually allow it. For most places it'll just a short conversation in a home visit. They're just trying to set you and the dog up for success -- they've become very attached to these dogs personally, and don't want to see them dumped off at a pound or neglected again.

I'm a big fan of rescue dogs because puppies are a huge amount of work, and because when the dog has been with a foster family you really know what you're getting into. I sent all of my adoptees a page long list of everything the dog liked and didn't like, how he responded to training, all of that. And a breed rescue group gives you an instant support group if you have behavior trouble.

Now, a *good* breeder will give you that same kind of support. But unfortunately most people don't know how to find a good breeder.

Peally
11-14-2014, 01:12 PM
As a single guy who works for a living I've always wanted a dog but not knowing if it'd be fine alone all day I've always sadly leaned against it. I enjoy running, so exercise wouldn't be a problem, but it seems like any rescue group I've read up on (admittedly not many) is borderline fanatical about people needing to basically be retired or work from home. These threads are helpful research into the subject from "real" people :)

Alpha Sierra
11-14-2014, 01:46 PM
but it seems like any rescue group I've read up on (admittedly not many) is borderline fanatical about people needing to basically be retired or work from home. These threads are helpful research into the subject from "real" people :)

Easy day. When you do decide to get a dog, get one from someone other than a rescue.

TR675
11-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Rescue orgs in my area require home visits, both before and after adoption, make you sign a contract that lets them take the dog or cat away if they don't like its living conditions, etc. and etc. and etc.

Screw that. If someone adopts an animal they're contributing to the good of society as long as they aren't using it as bait for fighting dogs. Our city pound and SPCA have a huge number of dogs and cats; a lot of the dogs are housebroken and were given up by the elderly or worthless owners. I adopt from there.

Pennzoil
11-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Easy day. When you do decide to get a dog, get one from someone other than a rescue.

That's what I do. I tried a couple rescues when I was looking for my GSD and even with my household having someone home all day It was a disaster.

OP you probably have already started researching but having a plan for when the dog gets home helps so your not making it up as you go along. Leerburg has its dog obedience video dvd and stream on sale right now for $28 4 hrs and it's decent. I have no affiliation with Leerburg.

FOUR
11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Matt,

Some rescue organizations are better than others, if I was looking for another rescue I would start with these guys.
http://www.homewardtrails.org/

They are serious and professional about it in a way that I wish all organizations were.I know one of the trainers that helps do assessments for them to evaluate adopt-ability. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions you might have and give a little guidance. PM me and I'll arrange a conversation, even if it's just by email.

ford.304
11-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Rescue orgs in my area require home visits, both before and after adoption, make you sign a contract that lets them take the dog or cat away if they don't like its living conditions, etc. and etc. and etc.

Screw that. If someone adopts an animal they're contributing to the good of society as long as they aren't using it as bait for fighting dogs. Our city pound and SPCA have a huge number of dogs and cats; a lot of the dogs are housebroken and were given up by the elderly or worthless owners. I adopt from there.

As someone who worked with these orgs... I've seen both sides of the argument. We actually picked our personal dog up from the pound.

Breed rescue groups don't get public funding, and they put a ton of cash and personal time into the dogs they rescue. Every safeguard there is to make sure the dog is ending up in a good home. If there's something not working out, they want the animal *back*, they don't want the person to ditch the dog at a kill shelter because their sofa got eaten. Moreover, for breed specific places, they don't have trouble finding people who want the animals, so they can afford to be a little choosier. In return, you get more specific knowledge of the animals and more specific choices. Their animals are already in a good place - a healthy foster home. They don't want to ditch an animal they've put months into working with someplace where they're going to be neglected.

Also, like I said - the language sounds scarier than the actual experience. It's to do a basic check that you *aren't* abusing the dog, with extra wiggle room built into the contract so the law is on their side. If you don't want to deal with that... I completely understand. Mostly just trying to make the point that the actual experience is not usually judged so harshly as they often sound on their website.

Granted, there are some group (our local Great Dane rescue comes to mind) who are, actually, insane, and seem to be more hoarders than rescuers... but those people are dicks.

TR675
11-14-2014, 05:11 PM
As someone who worked with these orgs... I've seen both sides of the argument. We actually picked our personal dog up from the pound.

Breed rescue groups don't get public funding, and they put a ton of cash and personal time into the dogs they rescue. Every safeguard there is to make sure the dog is ending up in a good home. If there's something not working out, they want the animal *back*, they don't want the person to ditch the dog at a kill shelter because their sofa got eaten. Moreover, for breed specific places, they don't have trouble finding people who want the animals, so they can afford to be a little choosier. In return, you get more specific knowledge of the animals and more specific choices. Their animals are already in a good place - a healthy foster home. They don't want to ditch an animal they've put months into working with someplace where they're going to be neglected.

Also, like I said - the language sounds scarier than the actual experience. It's to do a basic check that you *aren't* abusing the dog, with extra wiggle room built into the contract so the law is on their side. If you don't want to deal with that... I completely understand. Mostly just trying to make the point that the actual experience is not usually judged so harshly as they often sound on their website.

Granted, there are some group (our local Great Dane rescue comes to mind) who are, actually, insane, and seem to be more hoarders than rescuers... but those people are dicks.

I may be painting with a broad brush, but our experience with one of these groups was so negative that we backed out - after hours invested - when it became obvious that they were lying to us and kept bringing up lawsuits apropos, quite literally, of nothing.

I can understand a requirement that you bring the dog back instead of surrendering it to the pound. I get that. It's the other crazy garbage that gets in the way.

Every time I start sniffing around rescue orgs looking for a pet I remember that experience and the words of a Judge I used to know: "Those folks're crazy. if someone wants to adopt the damn hound and get it off of the street, well hell, they can eat it for all I care!"

Don't know that I agree with that, but if I'm "adopting" a dog, I'm its owner, not its caretaker and I'm not signing anything that lets some looner take it away from me if they don't like the kibble I feed it.

ford.304
11-15-2014, 04:05 PM
I may be painting with a broad brush, but our experience with one of these groups was so negative that we backed out - after hours invested - when it became obvious that they were lying to us and kept bringing up lawsuits apropos, quite literally, of nothing.

I can understand a requirement that you bring the dog back instead of surrendering it to the pound. I get that. It's the other crazy garbage that gets in the way.

Every time I start sniffing around rescue orgs looking for a pet I remember that experience and the words of a Judge I used to know: "Those folks're crazy. if someone wants to adopt the damn hound and get it off of the street, well hell, they can eat it for all I care!"

Don't know that I agree with that, but if I'm "adopting" a dog, I'm its owner, not its caretaker and I'm not signing anything that lets some looner take it away from me if they don't like the kibble I feed it.

Yeah, that sounds straight up crazy.

LittleLebowski
11-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Yeah, the ones in my area seem ran by bored, power hungry, crazy housewives.

Alpha Sierra
11-17-2014, 08:24 AM

I've been involved in sport horses for some time and all the ex racing thoroughbred "adoption" places are like that. The animal isn't really ever yours. Not only that, but the "contract" follows the horse around so subsequent owners are subject to the crap. Lots of people fall for their scam.

If I was in the financial position to own a horse, a TB would be near the top of my breed list and places like Friends of Ferdinand, CANTER, etc would be the LAST place I'd ever look for one.

Like LL said, bunch of batshit crazy women running those joints.

Matt O
12-24-2014, 10:21 AM
I just realized I forgot to update this thread. We got lucky and were able to get a 12 month old GSD from a reputable source several weeks ago. She's definitely quite a character and my wife and I are very happy so far.

Meet Nadia!

I also wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, all of which were taken to heart. This has been a great learning experience so far and the journey has only just begun.

FresnoRob
12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Beautiful girl. I hope you have many great years together.
Yup I'm new here, but this thread got my attention. All our pets are rescues.

MDS
12-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Congrats! That's a happy-dog face right there. :)

richiecotite
12-29-2014, 05:56 AM
We got our chocolate lab from the PWC animal shelter. Wasn't planning on getting a dog, just bored on a Sunday and needed to haul junk to the county landfill, and decided to take the family since the shelter is across the street.

Easy peasy, total time took about 30 minutes or so for paperwork. Since he hadn't been snipped, we had to wait a few days to pick him up. Adoption cost was $50 or so, but we had to cover his neutering and other vet costs.

Overall, he is awesome. My wife and I both work, and we have small kids, so we couldn't go for a puppy because of time and work constraints. He's around 4 years old, and has been with us for almost a month, and is awesome. House broken, great with the kids, affectionate, good on a leash, good around other dogs. Only problem is drool and the fact he thinks he's a lap dog.

richiecotite
12-29-2014, 04:06 PM
obligatory dug pic

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59/VSUslickrick/Mobile%20Uploads/797E631D-AD76-471C-97EF-79EC163F67B0.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/VSUslickrick/media/Mobile%20Uploads/797E631D-AD76-471C-97EF-79EC163F67B0.jpg.html)

We got our chocolate lab from the PWC animal shelter. Wasn't planning on getting a dog, just bored on a Sunday and needed to haul junk to the county landfill, and decided to take the family since the shelter is across the street.

Easy peasy, total time took about 30 minutes or so for paperwork. Since he hadn't been snipped, we had to wait a few days to pick him up. Adoption cost was $50 or so, but we had to cover his neutering and other vet costs.

Overall, he is awesome. My wife and I both work, and we have small kids, so we couldn't go for a puppy because of time and work constraints. He's around 4 years old, and has been with us for almost a month, and is awesome. House broken, great with the kids, affectionate, good on a leash, good around other dogs. Only problem is drool and the fact he thinks he's a lap dog.

SeriousStudent
12-29-2014, 05:34 PM
"But...you wasn't sitting on it. I was just keeping the couch warm for you."