PDA

View Full Version : Any downsides to 92D spring?

Sigfan26
11-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Are there any real downsides (increased spring replacement rate, light strikes, etc...)to putting the 92D spring in a standard 92?

JonInWA
11-11-2014, 11:14 PM
No, in my opinion and experience.

Best, Jon

YVK
11-11-2014, 11:35 PM
I've had light strikes with a commercial reloads and russian stuff.

Sal Picante
11-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Not really... YVK is that also because of an aftermarket hammer?

GJM
11-12-2014, 06:30 AM
I've had light strikes with a commercial reloads and russian stuff.

Speaking with Ernest Langdon and Dave Olhasso, there is more to reliable ignition than D spring versus regular. It goes beyond my technical ability to understand and explain, but relates to where the hammer releases. For example, I had a 92G-SD I was getting light strikes with, it was professionally worked, and became perfectly reliable with the same D spring.

Hambo
11-12-2014, 07:32 AM
I've been running D model springs for the last 10-15 years without a problem.

LSP972
11-12-2014, 08:07 AM
I put one in grandson #2's commercial "M9", and immediately started getting light hits with the Beretta OEM .22 conversion kit. Put the standard spring back in, no more light hits.

Sample of one, etc., etc...

Clobbersaurus
11-12-2014, 08:26 AM
I've had too many light strikes to mention with my last 1000 round batch of Barnaul Ammo. But I've also had and witnessed light strikes with Glocks ans M&P with the same ammo, so I wouldn't specifically attribute it to an issue with the D spring.

It has fired everything else, including Tula, perfectly.

Clay
11-12-2014, 08:53 AM
I've had no light strikes in my d spring equipped 92fs, using Wolf, Tula, Barnaul, and everything else I can find. No problems at all.

1986s4
11-12-2014, 09:13 AM
No light strikes here either. I primarily reload and I use whatever primers I can get for the best price. My last 10,000 primers have been Tula, no issues with any pistol. I do keep my pistols mostly stock. Just got some S&B primers so we'll see.

Matt O
11-12-2014, 09:16 AM
I had 3 light strikes on Aguila ammo in my first outing with my 92A1, so for me the verdict is still out on the viability of the D spring.

Matt O
11-12-2014, 09:16 AM
No light strikes here either... My last 10,000 primers have been Tula, no issues with any pistol.

That's good to hear as I have a bunch of Tula primers I'm planning to start using.

GJM
11-12-2014, 09:20 AM
I had 3 light strikes on Aguila ammo in my first outing with my 92A1, so for me the verdict is still out on the viability of the D spring.

I have seen more light strikes in the last year, with Aguila and PMC, through a variety of pistols that are reliable, than I am accustomed to seeing. Makes me wonder whether they have been pumping out ammo like crazy, and something may be slipping.

Matt O
11-12-2014, 09:22 AM
I have seen more light strikes in the last year, with Aguila and PMC, through a variety of pistols that are reliable, than I am accustomed to seeing. Makes me wonder whether they have been pumping out ammo like crazy, and something may be slipping.

Yeah I'm hoping it's just the ammo. All rounds fired on the second strike no problem, but it was disconcerting to say the least.

YVK
11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Not really... YVK is that also because of an aftermarket hammer?

Nope. It was with my Elite II which is not modified internally in any way from its stock form. I had several light strikes with AA's 147 gr ammo during my RSS class, and one light strike with Brown Bear.

joshs
11-12-2014, 11:07 AM
Nope. It was with my Elite II which is not modified internally in any way from its stock form. I had several light strikes with AA's 147 gr ammo during my RSS class, and one light strike with Brown Bear.

I'm pretty sure Bill Wilson mentioned that WC found slightly worse ignition with the EII hammer than the standard hammer.

Hambo
11-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I should have said in my first post that I've shot various Winchester, Federal, PMC, Hornady, and Speer ammo, and reloads with primers from Winchester, CCI, Wolf, MagTech, and Federal and it's all worked. After reading YVK's post I remember a couple of guys with unmodified Elite II's that had light strikes.

YVK
11-12-2014, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Bill Wilson mentioned that WC found slightly worse ignition with the EII hammer than the standard hammer.

Yup, he did. I understand he went with quite light mainsprings and still had good ignition with a standard hammer. I do have a standard hammer somewhere, what I don't have is the time to test it out.

However, in my case it were primers to blame. When I went to RSS, I brought my problem-free P30 as well and it also had light strikes with that ammo.

Typed appendix carrying an 92FS/Vertec with a D spring and D hammer.

Suvorov
11-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Was there some issue with the E1 hammer and "D" spring?

GJM
11-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Was there some issue with the E1 hammer and "D" spring?

as I understand it, the E1 hammers had ignition problems, and were switched out by Beretta.

Suvorov
11-12-2014, 06:36 PM
as I understand it, the E1 hammers had ignition problems, and were switched out by Beretta.

Is this something That affected all E1s or just E1s with D springs?

Did Beretta switch them out at the factory?

When I purchased my E1 way back in 2000 I put in a Wolf "reduced power" mainspring that I thought was their equivalent of a D spring and fired thousands and thousands of rounds with no issues. I later realized that the Wolf mainspring was still heavier than a D spring and replaced it with a Beretta D spring. I then had my first ever light primer strike. It has only been one in 500 rounds or so, but it has made me wonder?

5pins
11-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Damn, I just put an elite hammer in my M9.

YVK
11-12-2014, 07:29 PM

What I am curious to know is which one's heavier, E1 or EII?

joshs
11-12-2014, 07:36 PM
What I am curious to know is which one's heavier, E1 or EII?

I seem to recall Todd saying that the E1 hammer was too light, so I assume that means the E2 is heavier.

YVK
11-12-2014, 07:50 PM
That will go along with Bill Wilson's findings of heavier hammer hitting harder. Of course, hammer mass alone is a part of the story; velocity is another. Assuming same spring rate, heavier hammer will move slower.

Anyway, I have zero reservations carrying Elite II/D hammer with D spring. If time ever permits, I'll play with 13-15 mainsprings and standard hammer.

5pins
11-12-2014, 08:15 PM
I have a wolf 13# in my M9 and have put about 2000 rounds in it since putting it in. Two light primer strikes, one with Tula and one with a handload. They both happened the first time I shot it after the switch. Nothing since then.

Jeep
11-13-2014, 12:51 PM

I've also had issues with PMC and a Sig 226 over the last year. I had never had any problems with any ammo with that pistol before, but I increased the weight of the mainspring by one pound, which seem to fix the issue. My impression is that PMC is now using a harder primer, but that is only an impression. I've always had a very occasional issue with Aguila (especially the .45 ammo), but I've chalked that up to slightly greater variability due to laxer manufacturing standards, and given the low cost I figure that is an acceptable trade off.