PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for instructor in Norther Colorado

Weapon Kingpin
11-09-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm looking to hook up with a good instructor for more advanced pistol/carbine/shotgun, home/personal defense, active shooter response, vehicle operations training and I'm fine taking basic classes as well from the right people. Seems to be the most well known trainers are avoiding classes in the area due to the new mag laws or just the lack of local interest, not sure. So if anyone knows of any instructors coming to town or locals that are good, please give me a heads up. I'm about 30 mins North of Denver and would go anywhere in the Denver to Southern Wyoming area for the right classes. May have friends to attend with me and prefer weekday classes.

Thanks,

Jason - Mead, CO

GJM
11-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Ron Avery

Weapon Kingpin
11-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Ron Avery

I've taken a private class from Ron about 5-6 years ago. Was likely the most educational 4 hours I've spent with a pistol. I can't find his schedule posted anywhere and he normally likes to teach either on the Western Slope or down in Raton, both are too far. What I did find of his listed was in Texas I think. Which is well... Way too far. If anyone knows of him teaching in the Denver area I'd be all over it.

I just emailed Mr Avery. We'll see what he says.

taadski
11-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Ron is currently doing a lot of teaching down in Saint George at the Practical Shooting Academy. Their new website is: www.practicalshootingacademy.com and is still in the fledgling stage.

That said, he still teaches quite a bit on the Western Slope (there's a pending handgun class in Montrose if I'm not mistaken) and spends a good bit of time in the front range still too. I'd bet he'd be more than willing to put together a custom program for you. If you have difficulty getting ahold of him, drop me a PM and I can put you guys in touch.

t

David S.
11-10-2014, 07:59 AM
According to the Rangemaster Oct 2014 Newsletter, Tom Givens is brining Combative Pistol I to Denver in July 2015. You might try to find out who is hosting that class and see if they host any other instructors.

Weapon Kingpin
11-14-2014, 04:58 PM
I've found that the easiest way to get good training in your area is to contact the instructors you are interested in, and offer to host a class for them. It takes a little work, but in the end you get the training you want and make a lot of good contacts in the process. Jay Cunningham has a good writeup on how to host a class: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3015-How-to-Successfully-Host-a-Firearms-Training-Class

I've tried this a couple times and all the ranges I'm a member of have a strict "Not for Profit" rule. They won't allow anyone to use their property for any use that results in anyone making a profit. It seems a little short sighted to me, but that's always what I've been told. Even tried to set one up for Todd G to come into teach a class and got the slap down.

Weapon Kingpin
11-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Ron is currently doing a lot of teaching down in Saint George at the Practical Shooting Academy. Their new website is: www.practicalshootingacademy.com and is still in the fledgling stage.

That said, he still teaches quite a bit on the Western Slope (there's a pending handgun class in Montrose if I'm not mistaken) and spends a good bit of time in the front range still too. I'd bet he'd be more than willing to put together a custom program for you. If you have difficulty getting ahold of him, drop me a PM and I can put you guys in touch.

t

Ron emailed me right back and confirmed the Western Slope is home for pretty much all the classes. Thanks for the link to the new site. It's old one with the green theme I couldn't find. The new one is much cleaner. He offered to do up a private class in Clear Creek as needed which is what we did a few years ago. Maybe I'll try to make it into a guys trip and get some fiends and take one of the classes out in Montrose next year. Looks like he's gonna post the 2015 schedule this month.