PDA

View Full Version : 88 Tactical Skills Weekend

MDS
11-09-2014, 02:10 PM
This weekend, I drove to the 88 Tactical facility in Tekamah, NE to meet and hang out with some people I've met on BushcraftUSA forum. I've been spending a lot of time in the woods since I move to CO and the people at BCUSA are a fine bunch, rivaled only by PFC in terms of a place on the Internet where civility rules and just being full of good people. I went mostly to learn and practice bushcraft, and to meet and greet the forum members, but part of the weekend's agenda included a couple of miniature pistol and tactics classes. I had no idea what to expect from this, but of course I'm not going to pass up any chance to learn and see how people do things!

The four mini-classes were a close-range "unsighted fire" segment, a fundamentals session, a low-light segment, and a kit-bag segment.

Unfortunately, I was getting sick so I bailed last night, and am missing the kit-bag segment today. But I did discuss with the instructor, Kurt, and he basically said that 1) the HPG video on drawing from the kit bag is the basis. (I think he was referring to this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssjLQhhzEa8), it goes into a good bit of detail.) Kurt does prefer to use a small holster, like the VG2. The main thing he emphasized was to make the unholstering process as rock-solid as possible; that is, the bag, and the holster inside the bag, should move as little as possible while you take the pistol out. So, as Scott Hill mentioned in the video, tie the holster down as tight as possible so the cord attaching the holster to the inside of the kit bag doesn't give you a lot of room to pull before the holster pops off. Kurt went to far as to tighten the loop inside the kit bag, to really minimize the slack available. Further, Kurt advocates holding the kit bag to your chest with your off-hand (being careful to keep the elbow high and out of the muzzle's path) so that the bag doesn't move on your body as you draw. I'm sorry I missed this class, it's probably going on, like, right now as I type. But I think these are the main take aways he intended to give.

The low-light segment happened on Friday night. Instead of yet another take on which technique to use to shoot with a flashlight, this was a pure light tactics intro. Using a flashlight effectively when there is or might be a bad guy hiding in the dark, independently of actually shooting with a flashlight. Just a couple of hours in the dark through a building with a wide array of window, corner, door, and room configurations. Also outside, especially around cars. The idea was to discuss how to use light effectively to help you see what you need to see, while giving the adversary as little benefit as possible in terms of letting them see what's going on and trying to keep from presenting yourself as an easy target. From that perspective it had a bit of a room-clearing flavor, even though that wasn't the topic. An easy lesson that's very powerful is the idea of organizing your movement so it goes from darker places to more well-lit places. I learned a ton about using the reflective properties of various surfaces to illuminate a large area quickly. This lets you get a flash picture then move away so to process and think about the afterimage, rather than sitting like a target while I shine the light slowly all around. The vehicle stuff was taught from the perspective of an officer approaching a vehicle at night - I'm not a cop but the concepts were well developed and clearly presented, and they're applicable to all kinds of situations. All in all, I enjoyed this segment a lot. I'd like to take a longer class just on this topic.

The fundamentals session wasn't earth-shattering. What it was was grounded and solid and efficient. During a 2-hour segment there just wasn't enough time to do more than introduce the fundamentals and do some basic diagnosis for the students that needed it most. But it's always good to focus on the fundamentals. The class was run smoothly, with one instructor, and 4 AI's for safety and personalized attention. With a huge array of gear and experience on the line, the AI's were constantly dealing with safety (e.g., the guy with the cross-draw holster was put on the safe end of the line and watched closely,) manipulations (the guy with the break-top revolver got a lot of personalized attention for his unique procedures,) malfuntions, and other issues. These were all handled with grace and ease, and without negatively impacting the rest of the class. For a lot of folks there, this was their first ever formal training. They all walked away much better shooters than they showed up. The rest of us walked away with a nice tune-up. It's hard to really get a sense of the instructors' nuances from such a short session, but it's obvious there's no snake oil or tactifool shenanigans here. If a buddy told me he was taking a fundamentals class from these guys as his first class, I would heartily approve.

The "unsighted fire" segment was very interesting to me, because I've never taken a class on that. The idea isn't at all like hip-shooting or anything. You do all the same things you do during regular sighted fire....except you just keep your focus on the threat instead of bringing them back to the sights. I was happy to hear that their opinion is that normal sighted fire is the ideal, and that practicing that way is how you build skill. Their thinking is that during a close distance fight, say about 5 yards and in, you're unlikely to have time to adequately focus on the sights before shooting - and that even if you did have time, you weren't likely to overcome the natural tendency to keep focusing on the threat. So instead of fighting that reality, they believe you should accept that you probably won't use your sights very rigorously or at all during a fight, and make sure you can make adequate hits without using your sights. "Acceptable accuracy" for unsighted fire is about a palm-sized group at 3-5yd. "Tight groups look good, but don't cheat yourself from this learning experience by using your sights - see what you can do while staying focused on the threat." I honestly had trouble looking at the threat, my OAK VISION is ingrained enough that I had to make a concentrated effort to keep looking at the target...and often failed even with consciously trying! I won't lie, I was pretty pleased about that. At the same time, I got enough reps of truly unsighted fire (again, this is still with press-out at eye level, just no fine adjustments based on feedback from the sights because I am barely or not at all aware of the sights while truly focused on the target) that I'm confident I can keep COM hits at speed, if my OAK VISION fails me during a real fight. In the end, I came away with a powerful insight: it seems to me that sighted vs unsighted fire is really a spectrum, rather than a binary choice. The common phrase, "see what you need to see" is an expression of that spectrum. When you don't need to see almost anything at all then true unsighted fire is OK! When you need to make a tight, careful headshot, then you need to be able to count those serrations on your front sight. There's an infinite number of settings in between. And after all's said and done, you'll get the best sight picture you can manage within the time frame dictated by the situation. For myself, I'll continue to practice with full-on OAK VISION...but I may spend a few rounds once in a while doing unsighted fire just so I know what I'm capable of.

I won't bore this forum with the fire- and shelter- and knot- and other bush-related stuff I learned. 88 Tactical is a great group of guys, and they also offers wilderness, medical, and other classes. I'm going to see if I can swing a wilderness class with them in December.

Al T.
11-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Nice review. What is "OAK VISION" ?

LittleLebowski
11-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I won't bore this forum with the fire- and shelter- and knot- and other bush-related stuff I learned. 88 Tactical is a great group of guys, and they also offers wilderness, medical, and other classes. I'm going to see if I can swing a wilderness class with them in December.

I don't think that would bore this forum.

MDS
11-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Nice review. What is "OAK VISION" ?

Not much, only the most revolutionary transformation of my shooting ability since, like, having fingers swept the scene. Check out OrigamiAK's thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?10210-Vision).

MDS
11-09-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't think that would bore this forum.

Maybe I'll write something up, then. :)

SeriousStudent
11-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Maybe I'll write something up, then. :)

Please do so, when you have an opportunity. I'd be very interested in it as well.

MDS
11-11-2014, 06:26 PM
By popular demand, here's a quick overview on the non-pistol aspects of the weekend. First, a little context. 88 Tactical is an official vendor on BushcraftUSA. The main wilderness/survival/SERE instructor, Terry, IIRC, is one of the main founders or at least original gangstas of BCUSA. Terry has a lot of useful videos on youtube under his handle, IA Woodsman. He used to teach independently, but joined 88 Tactical at some point and is now teaching under their banner - which I think is great to put woodsy skills there in conjunction with a broader context of skills. Anyway, I'm relatively new to that forum, and when I heard about this get-together, a chance to learn from hands-on instructors, and to meet a bunch of the folks I'd been interacting with, I jumped at the chance. You may want to check out the threads (http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/136244-88-Tactical-Skills-Development-Weekend-Photo-Thread) at BCUSA.

(ETA: I should mention that I did not take any of these pictures. They're from the BCUSA thread linked above.)

The first thing I learned was about shelter setup. Winds were non-trivial at 20mph sustained and 40+mph gusts. I'm kind of getting into tarp shelters, so it was cool to see how folks set them up for high winds. Basically you stake the windward side down flat and tight; then you stake the windward side like you were going to do an a-frame with hiking poles (or some folks just got a stick from the woods); then you stake down the sides nice and tight. Like so:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183760&d=1415661013

I learned a lot from just listening to this long-bearded guy at camp. His configuration fared better than some of the fancy tents that people brought, more than a couple of which were clear across the prairie before someone caught it... I came prepared with a tarp, a hammock, and an 8-man tipi. I ended up just laying my pad and -20 Kifaru wide bag on the grass because it was so late and there was 0% rain in the forecast. I was very pleased with how warm the bag kept me, even when plastered against my skin by the wind. The winds stayed up all night, and the temps dropped to the low 20's IIRC, and as long as I kept the bag's opening facing leeward I was warm and toasty. I'll test this bag out in ~0° this weekend, but I'll be out of the wind so I'm sure it'll get the job done.

Before bedtime, though, I spent a while around the fire. Protip: if you want to make friends around a camp fire, bring some decent whiskey. Maker's Mark boasts the highest new-friend-per-dollar ration in the bourbon world. ;) The best part was checking out each others' knives around the fire. I got to check out a couple of unicorns: a Turley Green River and a Sargent M3. I immediately wanted one of each, though I kind of wished they'd have a little fatter handle. I'm on Turley's list, so I should get one of those in, like, 5 years. But I don't think Sargent keeps a list. But more about that later.

The next day I contributed a stupid overabundance of shavings to the morning's fire. I had a tip from the previous night to use little force, and I practiced for like 20 minutes trying to get thin, curly shavings off of pine with as little finger pressure as possible. I do think the knife matter quite a bit here, but that may be my incompetence talking. Tried out some Hawk's Vittles freeze-dried breakfast....it sucked. It might have been better if I'd have let it soak for another 10 minutes, but I was going to be late for the morning's pistol class. Luckily, I brought some protein bars so I snarfed one down as I walked to the range.

After the Fundamentals class we built a thermal shelter as a group. I learned a ton during this exercise. First, just how simple the basic ideas are around building an expedient shelter. This shelter was to be an a-frame meant to keep you warm in a very cold location. You start out with cleared ground. You don't want to build over a layer of snow because the ground is warmer. You can make an a-frame with just natural materials, but we used a big plastic sheet. Once it's up, we'd want to cover it in duff and leaves and debris - not for insulation, but rather so that the snow stays. The snow is the insulation. So, first, you need a big ridge pole. Find a good strong one, chop it to length, limb it roughly, and transport it to your camp spot. Learned a bit about limbing and chopping with an axe. Snow is heavy, so make sure the pole can bear a good deal of weight. Next, hoist your ridge pole at about chin height or lower. A nice low ridge pole makes you crawl around, but it makes the shelter warmer, too. We hoisted one end by lashing a fat post of the right height to a convenient tree, and using the fat post as a ledge to hold the ridge pole. This pic shows the ridgepole up on the post against the tree on the left:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183846&d=1415669542

Then we lashed the ridge pole to the tree and post. We hoisted the other end by making a bipod - we lashed two poles together, where the lashings were at the right height, then we stood the two poles up, spread their legs, and put the end of the ridgepole in the "V" make by the tops. Here's a shot that shows the bipod:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183796&d=1415666017

It also kind of shows the next step, ribs. You cut some thinner poles and set them up against the ridgepole every few feet. You don't want the ribs at too shallow an angle, or the snow will weigh the tarp down between the ribs. You don't want it at too steep an angle or the shelter won't have much room. I think about 45° is right. We didn't really lash the ribs, just held them fast with a Canadian jam knot. (If I had to forget everything I learned this weekend except one thing, the Canadian jam knot would be that thing.) The ribs on either end are the ends of the shelter, and you want to find something to close off those ends. In this case we had an old parachute lying around. (Don't ask.) But you could have just sealed off the ends with the edge of your tarp or whatever. This picture also shows the top of the doorway. That's the thick pole lashed to the ribs right by that dude's head. The plastic sheet will be cut there (you'll see later) and you want a fat overhang so the snow-cum-insulation doesn't fall off every time you open the door.

Now you lay your tarp over the ridge pole and the ribs, and stake the ends down snug to the floor. We fashioned some stakes from sticks. And we used "buttons" on the plastic sheet because it didn't have tabs or anything. A button is when you take a small handful of duff or dirt and wrap the end of the sheet around it - then you use a slip knot to snug the sheeting around the debris and you've got yourself a button. Once the tarp is set, you cut the doorway. Then you stand back as all your student "ooh" and "aah" at your mastery of survival.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183799&d=1415666225

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=183800&d=1415666225

Then there was lunch. I again practiced making shavings, and contributed an overabundance to the lunch fire. I make Hawk's Vittles Peanut Soup. That was pretty good. Then I went to the "unsighted fire" class. Then I hung out at camp while most folks were at the tomahawk fighting class. That looked like fun but I got not tomahawk. As I hung around camp, making more feathers, learning about Dakota fire holes, and generally shooting the shit, I started to feel sicker and sicker. My boys had a nasty cold/whatever when I left on Friday, and I had to decide whether to make a crappy late drive on Saturday, or a potentially crappier drive on Sunday. I chickened out and took off. Kind of glad I did, I did not feel good on Sunday, though I'm sorry I missed the Kit Bag class and the friction fire class.

So here I was, sick at home, sipping broth and browsing the BCUSA forum, looking for updates of what I was missing. When suddenly Sargent posts up a surprise sale of one of his knives. An M3, with - get this - a fatter than normal handle! I happen to see the post about 5 seconds after he made it, and was able to snag a fatty Sargent M3 about 36 hours after I started truly lusting for one. Plus the sheath is to my specs because his usual sheath pattern doesn't fit the fat handle. I'll have that knife here soon and now I'm really only jonesing for a Turley Green River.

So, there you have it. Sorry for the Wall Of Text, I figured if I was going to write this down, I may as well capture all my mental notes while I was at it. Cheers!

BobM
11-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks, I've watched a few of IA Woodsmans videos; he seems to really know what he's talking about.

SeriousStudent
11-11-2014, 07:24 PM
I went over and signed up at BCUSA's website, based on your recommendation. There's a lot of good data over there.

Thank you for the writeup about the shelter. It sounds like a very good class.

I used to spend a lot of time out wandering about the landscape. Now that all the joints and bones are starting to reassemble themselves, I'm going to pick it up again.

And congrats on scoring the knife!

MDS
11-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Depending on where you are in TX, there's a local BCUSA meet happening in January IIRC. I hung out with a couple of the TX guys at camp - cool bunch of dudes. I've got a thing in TX in the next month or three, I'm going to see if I can get the stars to align and make it to that meet.

SeriousStudent
11-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Ah, very cool. I am still wading through their site, there's a lot of info there.

If the stars do align, I'll bring my backpack of knives. And Maker's Mark. And cigars.