PDA

View Full Version : Easier to remove Glock baseplates legal for Production

GJM
11-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Getting the OEM base plates off Glock 17 magazines requires more effort, than for example, Mecgar CZ, Sig and Beretta magazines. This makes it difficult to pop the base plates off and clean the magazines between stages of a USPSA match. Down in Arizona, things are sandy enough, I would like to be able to quickly clean magazines I have dropped on a stage.

I see Dawson makes an "EZ off" baseplate in a variety of heights. Is that what folks are using, or is there a different suggestion?

JV_
11-08-2014, 07:07 PM
What method are you using to remove the OEM plates?

I just stick the Glock tool in the base plate hole and pry/push, it takes 2 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4UZP2FpP2Y

GJM
11-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Here is the method that doesn't work. Stick the Glock brand punch in the hole, push plate out of the way, and try to pry the base plate off. The Glock tool starts bending and I give up before irreparably damaging the Glock tool. What I use, is a stronger punch, and pry the plate forward and off with a lot of effort. After a few times, the hole gets oblong. In any event, it isn't something I relish doing with 4 or 5 magazines every stage.

JV_
11-08-2014, 08:51 PM
It works fine with my Glock tool, maybe your mags have tighter base plates.

taadski
11-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Glock magazines require cleaning during a match?

I submit that's nonsense! :p

Lon
11-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Have you looked at these:

http://youtu.be/tbY415oPhB8

Mr_White
11-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Very nice!

GJM
11-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Very nice!

You two sound like only children. All I need now is to hear from YVK and my wife.

Lot2Learn
11-09-2014, 07:55 PM
OP,

Check out the ones from Taran Tactical. I am not talking about the +5 ones. They are production legal and super simple to take off. They fit the USPSA production box.

http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44_49&products_id=139

GJM
11-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Thanks, I was looking at this last night on the TT website.

All things equal, I like the size of the Dawson +O base pads, as they seem closer to stock. Can you compare/contrast the Dawson and TT products?

Lot2Learn
11-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Not really, I have never used the Dawson product. I know that at some of the USPSA clubs I shoot at, there are stages comprised of beach sand. I don't care what anyone says about "Glock Perfection" The mags will bind up the rounds when dropped in beach sand, so clean your production mags. The TTI base pads come off easily, push pin with your finger and slide off. No punches or glock tools required. The dawson ones seem to be about half the price, It doesn't hurt to try them.

joshs
11-10-2014, 07:56 AM
Not really, I have never used the Dawson product. I know that at some of the USPSA clubs I shoot at, there are stages comprised of beach sand. I don't care what anyone says about "Glock Perfection" The mags will bind up the rounds when dropped in beach sand, so clean your production mags. The TTI base pads come off easily, push pin with your finger and slide off. No punches or glock tools required. The dawson ones seem to be about half the price, It doesn't hurt to try them.

If the TTI baseplates come off the same way as their 140mm extensions, then I would be worried about damaging the spring with frequent removal. Unlike the factory baseplates, the TTI extensions don't have the insert that keeps the spring inside the mag body during disassembly. It's definitely possible to kink the spring while removing the TTI extensions.

I shot USPSA regularly when I lived in Albuquerque (2-3 matches a month), and I had good luck with turning the mags upside down and repeatedly depressing the follower to remove most of the debris.

GJM
11-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Josh, the turn them upside down method you describe is what I have been doing.

In the desert in UT, there is some very fine sandy dirt that, despite that method, has caused stoppages for my wife in multiple G34 pistols. In terms of sand, there seems to be a wide variety. Some has very little effect, and other consistencies of sand gum things right up.

I will order a half dozen of the Dawson EZ off pads and see how they work.

joshs
11-10-2014, 10:36 AM
In the desert in UT, there is some very fine sandy dirt that, despite that method, has caused stoppages for my wife in multiple G34 pistols.

That's probably her problem, she's using a gamer gun. Everyone knows that the 34 allows debris to enter into the top of the slide and cause stoppages. ;)

Is she shooting ammo that is close to the PF floor? Fine sand, low PF ammo, and the slightly heavier slide and barrel could be causing the problems?

Joe Mamma
11-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Getting the OEM base plates off Glock 17 magazines requires more effort, than for example, Mecgar CZ, Sig and Beretta magazines. This makes it difficult to pop the base plates off and clean the magazines between stages of a USPSA match. Down in Arizona, things are sandy enough, I would like to be able to quickly clean magazines I have dropped on a stage.

I see Dawson makes an "EZ off" baseplate in a variety of heights. Is that what folks are using, or is there a different suggestion?

Take a razor blade and carefully cut the tiny little "nubs" off the side of the mag. Those nubs are what fit into the baseplate and make it difficult to remove.

Once you cut the nubs off, it will be much easier to disassemble, and disassembly will essentially the same as the other mags you mentioned.

Joe Mamma

GJM
11-10-2014, 11:55 AM
That's probably her problem, she's using a gamer gun. Everyone knows that the 34 allows debris to enter into the top of the slide and cause stoppages. ;)

Is she shooting ammo that is close to the PF floor? Fine sand, low PF ammo, and the slightly heavier slide and barrel could be causing the problems?

It is settled science to me, that a G17 is reliable across a wider range of technique, cleanliness and ammo than a 34.

I am not good enough to suffer many stoppages in USPSA, so I am trying to keep the mags sand free, even in the G17.

Rocket20_Ginsu
11-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I've used the gtul with good success. I don't generally clean mags at club matches unless they get truly gunky; however, for area and nationals definitely. Especially the soft stuff in Vegas and st George. Several of my friends are running TTIs with good results.

Btw, I've seen sevigny cleaning mags between stages so that's a good indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
11-11-2014, 05:07 AM
I would not cut the locking nubs off of the mags.

Sal Picante
11-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Ben Stoeger and his goons actually developed a REALLY nice easy-on/easy-off AL basepad for the Glock...

They're going to become available in a few days here: http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/default.asp

Alex Gutt, abused the hell out of 'em. They include a different locking floor plate...

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10697310_10205369965753855_2794838532308043503_o.j pg

ST911
11-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Don't mess with the OEM floor plate retention tabs. If you do, expect the magazine to disassemble (fail).

New G17 mags can be stiff and require a little oomph. Worked-in, my kiddos can remove my floor plates by using the technique in the video. Sometimes, they need need to press the corner of the mag against a hard surface.

Sal Picante
11-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Don't mess with the OEM floor plate retention tabs. If you do, expect the magazine to disassemble (fail).

Haven't had that problem...

Joe Mamma
11-12-2014, 05:42 AM

I've got well over 50,000 rounds (and maybe more than 75,000 rounds) through various Glock mags (different calibers) with the nubs cut off. They've been handled rough and dropped on all types of surfaces (including in numerous competitions and schools/classes). I've never had a single problem with them disassembling accidentally or anything like that.

Joe Mamma

Sal Picante
11-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Not trying to disparage Skintop's posts... I guess a lot of it varies from assembly to assembly - I know that the Stoeger pads have been really rock solid.

Chuck Haggard
11-12-2014, 01:17 PM
I've seen a few Glocks mags so modified spontaneously take a dump, one during a speed reload by a friend of mine.

After the first disassemble on a new mag I have never found taking Glock base pads off to be a big deal.

David Armstrong
11-12-2014, 04:01 PM
I've seen a few Glocks mags so modified spontaneously take a dump, one during a speed reload by a friend of mine.

After the first disassemble on a new mag I have never found taking Glock base pads off to be a big deal.
This. The first time can be a bit tough, but after that it gets a lot easier real fast. No need to make any modifications, just use the right technique.

ST911
11-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Not trying to disparage Skintop's posts... I guess a lot of it varies from assembly to assembly - I know that the Stoeger pads have been really rock solid.

And just for clarification... My experience is with OEM mags and floor plates so modified. I can't speak to this mod on aftermarket base pads.

Slavex
11-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Put me in the "cut the nubs off" camp, but then again I stick piercings in weird places so....

The only time I've had a mag so modified fail is when I forgot to put the interior locking plate in. For a gaming gun I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Of course, by IPSC rules it's an illegal modification.

Sal Picante
11-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Ok, so those Basepads I posted about are finally available at Ben's pro-shop:

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Glock-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Extended-Basepad-p/gl-sf1.htm

Good kit...

GJM
11-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Ok, so those Basepads I posted about are finally available at Ben's pro-shop:

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Glock-Easy-Off-Aluminum-Extended-Basepad-p/gl-sf1.htm

Good kit...

Got mine this morning, and shot them this afternoon. Work good!