PDA

View Full Version : What's your greatest fear?

JDM
07-26-2011, 10:26 PM
This came up in conversation this evening.

What are you most terrified of?

Me?

Stinging insects that fly, like hornets.
Needing a gun and not having one.
Clowns. Yuck.

JM Campbell
07-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I 2nd this

Joe in PNG
07-27-2011, 04:57 AM
I'll second the "flying, stinging insects" such as bees, hornets, and wasp- especally in large groups.
Normally, I'm not afraid of snakes, but having a poisonous one hiding in a corner of a dark barn or boat house freaks the crap out of me.

Slavex
07-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Fire
Australia
Ugly strippers
My mom suffering now that my dads gone and he isn't there to help her

Kyle Reese
07-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Sharks

Haunted houses

JHC
07-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Only the lads heading off to war one day.

Tamara
07-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Heights.

Which is strange, because I like flying.

orionz06
07-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Hmmm...

Seeing my mom somewhere in the streets. Haven't seen her in 12 years and I would likely do very stupid things that would make it tough to own guns if confronted.

MDS
07-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Easy: losing my family to an accident or an act of violence or something.

Thanks for the sweet humpday-morning pick-me-up thread, BOM. ;)

peterb
07-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Heights.

Which is strange, because I like flying.

Not so strange. I've known several pilots who didn't like ladders, roofs, etc.

TGS
07-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Creepy alien looking creatures, such as spider crabs, the bottoms of horse-shoe crabs, spiney lobsters, ect. Also kind of wierd, being I'm an avid diver and have wrestled with 20+ pound spiney lobsters on a few occasions. I defintely was creeped out and very cautious about what I grabbed at....they remind me of the face-huggers from the "Alien" series of movies.

JRCHolsters
07-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Drowning and now heights, since I fell off of a roof :o

rjohnson4405
07-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Hurting the ones I love.

Being unable to prevent something/protect the people I care about by following asinine rules (peer pressure, social standards, some laws).

Regretting who I do/don't marry.

Being injured to the point that it limits some of the things I love (shooting, sports, playing with nieces/nephews, etc).

Dishonoring my country, family, or God.

ToddG
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Nightmares. As a young kid I'd completely freak out when I had a nightmare because I knew things could happen in a nightmare that were worse than real life. Then at some point in junior high I made the decision to stop having nightmares and haven't had one since. The flipside is that I never have the "night of passion with Angelina Jolie triplets" or "won a billion dollars in the lottery" type dreams, either.

ACP230
07-27-2011, 10:12 AM
My father-in-law had Altzheimers. It's a pain for all concerned.
Strokes are also a worry.

JDM
07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Drowning and now heights, since I fell off of a roof :o

Story Please.

JDM
07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Nightmares. As a young kid I'd completely freak out when I had a nightmare because I knew things could happen in a nightmare that were worse than real life. Then at some point in junior high I made the decision to stop having nightmares and haven't had one since. The flipside is that I never have the "night of passion with Angelina Jolie triplets" or "won a billion dollars in the lottery" type dreams, either.

And instead of dream Glocks that don't work, you get real life Glocks that don't work. :p

seabiscuit
07-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Something happening to my future wife and children while I'm deployed, or dying in war and leaving them alone.

rsa-otc
07-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Snakes

Oh ya and then there's snakes.

Have I told you about snakes.

Now that I'm older Hieghts aren't as easy either.

JRCHolsters
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Story Please.
Seems kind of funny now. I was re-roofing a house with my son. We were laying down Ondura panels, which look like metal roofing, but are a composite. Just as we finished laying the last row, it started to rain. As we were walking on the old shingles, to get down, my foot hit the edge of the ondura and I slipped. At this point Tachypsychia kicked in. I remember throwing myself out flat, belly down to get purchase on the old roofing to no avail. Then as I was picking up speed, I tried grabbing the raised edges of the roofing and catching my watch wrist band, that promptly snapped.
Once I realized I was going down for the count, I managed to right myself onto my back for a last ditch attempt to grab some tree limbs as I went off the end. As I went over the edge, I started flailing at branches and got a couple of handfuls, which promptly snapped also. This was enough to bring my head up so I didn't land on my neck. I landed on my lower back and snapped down hard on my back. I remember laying there, taking stock of my situation, as I have had a double laminectomy and a titanium plate in my back and neck. I layed there in a pile when my wife came running around the house screaming. She said she heard my Son scream "oh Fuck" and then she heard a loud Whump sound.
Other than being sore as hell for a couple of weeks, no major damage. We figured out later I fell about 20ft all together.
I finished the job later with ropes and harness'. Scared shit-less the whole time.
A couple of things I got from all this, cranial vapor-locks can happen at anytime, to anyone. The human mind can process a whole lot of shit when when it hits the fan, lol :o

JDM
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
That's pretty scary.

I fell off my single story when I was about 20. I was hooking up the swamp cooler, slipped on some water and slid on my butt to the edge, and off I went. Landed on my feet in the gravel. Limped and cussed for about 3 minutes. Went back up and finished the job much more carefully. The worst injury were the scrapes on my backside from the shingles. Ouch.

It's scary, even from 10 feet.

JRCHolsters
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, it is scary. It has created quite a mental block for me, which sucks, as I used to really enjoy climbing, rappelling, etc. Ha, I've escaped death and grave injury so many times, I could be on that show The Indestructibles, LOL.

WDW
07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Anyone seen the movie Johnny Got His Gun? It is also the inspiration for the Metallica song One. It is about a soldier in WWI who catches an arty shell head on and has no legs, arms, sight, hearing, or speech and is literally a piece of immobile meat trapped in his own mind. They keep him alive to study because they believe he is brain dead, but he is very much alive and aware of everything around him. That is my worst fear. I would much prefer to be dead.

section8usmc
07-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Fear of falling, crashing. Put me on a sky scraper and a ledge that comes to my chest, I can look down no problem. Put me on a 5 story building with a 1-2 foot ledge, forget it. My roof on my ranch house, no issues.

Flying doesn't bother me one bit. The thought of pilot error or mechanical failure due to faulty maintenance(the two most common causes of crashes) at 30,000 feet, and having to know your going to die...in a minute...maybe ten...I hate flying in commercial aircraft. Put me in a Cessna that can glide forever, or a military aircraft, and I'm good !

Swarms as someone mentioned would be an awful way to go, yes.

I won't go ice fishing or on ice period. I hate cold, and after combat survival swimming and all, it wouldn't matter if you were Michael Phelps. You're just screwed. So, trapped under ice would be the other.

Wheeler
07-30-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm deathly afraid that the anti's will outlaw revolvers, forcing me to really learn to shoot a semi-auto. :cool:

section8usmc
07-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm deathly afraid that the anti's will outlaw revolvers, forcing me to really learn to shoot a semi-auto. :cool:

What's a revolver ?

Wheeler
07-30-2011, 06:56 PM
What's a revolver ?

The first step is recognizing you have a problem. You are on the road to recovery my friend. :cool:

NickA
07-31-2011, 09:01 AM
All of the above, plus disappointing my family, by failing to protect them, provide for them, be a good dad,etc. Bad enough that anything should ever happen to them, but to have to look in their eyes with them knowing it was my fault would just kill me.

Oh, and also Bigfoot. Seriously.

ubervic
07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
1. That my daughters could be seriously injured or killed, by freak accident or by the hand of another.
2. Cicadas.

Cowtown44
07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
An accident involving electricity.

JDM
07-31-2011, 04:02 PM
An accident involving electricity.

What do you do for a living?

SteveK
07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
S p i d e r s

vmi-mo
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
After a recent run in with a shark. Things in the water that can eat me. It doesnt help I work in swamps with alligators.

PJ

MD7305
07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
My top 2:

Rollercoasters. The older I get the more they freak me out. I think I'm more affraid of some catastrophic equipment failure than the actual ride itself. Heights don't bother me as long as I'm in a secure harness/compartment/etc. but the addition of being upside down causes a little inner terror.

Poisonous Snakes. I ran over a copperhead mountain biking once. My riding buddy said, "Holy smokes! You just ran over a copperhead!" I had no idea, I almost puked at the thought of being that close. I don't even like going to zoos with "snake houses," there can never be enough glass/lexan/concrete/wood/distance/time between me and a vipercobrarattler!

Prdator
07-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Hmmm...

Seeing my mom somewhere in the streets. Haven't seen her in 12 years and I would likely do very stupid things that would make it tough to own guns if confronted.

Im with ya there... I have DO NOT ANSWER on my mom's phone #..... and Spiders....

HeadHunter
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
VX Nerve Agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX_%28nerve_agent%29)

superr.stu
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Dogs

I got attacked by a chiuaua when I was two, and to this day even if a little jack russell comes at me I turn into a little crying pile of baby shit.

John Ralston
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I have 2 girls (not yet teenagers)...my greatest fear is the word "Boyfriend".

will_1400
08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I'll +1 one the stinging insects because my earliest memory is being stung as a toddler. (2nd earliest is listening to Alice Cooper with my dad not long afterwards. Believe me, it's had an effect.)

I'll also agree to needing a weapon but being caught unarmed.

JDM
08-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Saltwater fucking crocodiles.

Slavex
08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
not sure how I left this one out, but after seeing the results of a guy it happened to in Ecuador, this is truly one of my biggest fears,

Shitting my pants during a stage at a match.

there I said it, and I'm not kidding. at the World Shoot in Ecuador in 2005 it happened to a dude. He went into a crouch, crapped his pants, and kept going. I don't remember his name or where he was from, but I bet someone does.

JDM
08-02-2011, 12:03 AM
not sure how I left this one out, but after seeing the results of a guy it happened to in Ecuador, this is truly one of my biggest fears,

Shitting my pants during a stage at a match.

there I said it, and I'm not kidding. at the World Shoot in Ecuador in 2005 it happened to a dude. He went into a crouch, crapped his pants, and kept going. I don't remember his name or where he was from, but I bet someone does.

The street vendors in Quito are to blame. Yuck.

Matt O
08-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Heights, extraordinarily tight places (where you don't have any freedom of movement) or...being reincarnated as a dog in Asia. I swear those animals have the most miserable existence...

peterb
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Suffering an injury that leaves me aware and mentally competent but unable to communicate.

Tamara
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
He went into a crouch, crapped his pants, and kept going.
Dude, that is hardcore. :eek:

LittleLebowski
08-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Spiders and women. Spiderwomen.

The_Dave
08-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Being stuck out in the middle of deep water, especially when I can't see the bottom.

Also, monkeys.

Prdator
08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Well now it's being naked in a cell with 10 guys and Southnarc wanting to prove a point........

Slavex
08-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Well I guess, what else are you going to do right? But man, I don't know I could ever show my face again!

Dude, that is hardcore. :eek:

section8usmc
08-02-2011, 11:59 PM
We had a dude shit himself before the first checkpoint of a hump...12 miles. Hardcore yes...just glad I wasn't behind him. Needless to say, they made him go to the back. The trapped in your own body is awful. Like, really, really awful. Been there, done that...only I had the chance for recovery. Had that potential light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing you don't have that chance...oh dude...that is horrible, awful, terrible...I can't get enough adjectives in there. The tight spaces...I don't mind tight quarters at all, especially if the temp is ok...but holy shit...not having any freedom of movement...that's all bad bad bad. Never think about that until you hear about some kid getting stuck in a pipe. Doesn't sink in until they show you the "well" is a damn 8" diameter pipe. That sickens me. That said, being stuck like between two boulders and having to saw your own arm off to get out would be unimaginable. People wonder why I am like Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory" ( the hyper awareness and disecting everything and situation in your head...I don't spew it out ). These are reason why. I don't want to go like that. Funny that no matter how big or bad or hard assed you are...there's always something.

KeeFus
08-03-2011, 12:27 AM
swamp cooler.

WOW! Havent heard that phrase sinice I left WSMR in 1993.

Greatest fear...one of my children needing me in a time of distress and not being there to help them is my biggest fear. Actually having dreams that they're being beaten/raped/etc scares the shit out of me.

Secondly, having my throat cut. I actually sleep with my head in the bend of my arm...protecting my throat...no crap.