PDA

View Full Version : shooting stance help

iakdrago
07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I guess you can say that i'm a bit behind when it comes to shooting stances. I'm beginning to convert from the traditional "shooting range" weaver stances to the now more acceptable/and what seems fundamentally better isosceles stance. My prior shooting experience has been limited to going to the range with my dad and slowly shooting 25 rounds of 9x18 mm ammo (we were poor, ammo was/is expensive) at 2 liter soda bottle 20-25 yards away. While practicing dry firing in the mirror with my Glock 19, i noticed that i have developed a slight backward lean. I'm 6'5" 200lbs, with lanky arms. I guess the lean backwards brings the pistol closer to my center of mass, thus making it easier to hold it steadily at full extension. I know that it's actually better to lean forward a little, to place more of your body mass behind the gun to absorb the recoil, thus here is my question:

Should i press out my shoulders forward, or should i hold them back, and only press out my arms? Holding them back would achieve what i was doing with my backward lean--bringing the gun closer to my body, reducing leverage, and making it easier to hold steady. I apologize for the long and convoluted intro, but i hope that it helped to illustrate my question. Any help would be really appreciated.

iak

JHC
07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
There are many more advanced coaches here, but fresh from my stay at Holiday Inn Express I'll offer how I coach it. Body and feet should be in a fighting stance (think boxing etc) and get aggressive and forward. Arms and shoulders forward. Chin out over past the belt buckle. Think driving the gun. I seem to have coached a lot of tennis players and and they seem to "get it" when I use the analogy of a killer forehand stroke as far as balance and weight.

Lots of good pics and videos about.

jslaker
07-26-2011, 06:08 PM
As someone who's also fairly tall at just shy of 6'4, I've found the thing that helps the most is getting my height down. Bend at the knees, lean in with your torso, and drive the gun forward. I drop from 6'3-4 to closer to 5'9-10 when I'm shooting.

Failure2Stop
08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Nose over toes, weight shifted toward the balls of the feet (but heels on the ground).
It takes an inordinate amount of work to get into a poor stance when adhering to these simple rules.

Adam
08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
If you are leaning back, having the gun over your center of gravity does you no good as when you lean back you are changing your center of gravity and probably putting yourself off balance. I just look for a good stable platform that I can both fight from as well as run away from. If someone came from behind and shoved me, I should not fall forward, same as if they shoved me from the front.

jslaker
08-02-2011, 06:10 PM
If someone came from behind and shoved me, I should not fall forward, same as if they shoved me from the front.
That's a lot of why I mentioned making sure to bend at the knees some. Us tall guys have correspondingly high centers of gravity; getting that height down makes for less sway when you have the gun at full extension.

ToddG
08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
If someone came from behind and shoved me, I should not fall forward, same as if they shoved me from the front.

The difference is that our physiology is based on controlled forward falling (aka, "walking" and "running") and thus it is far harder to push someone over from behind than from in front or the side. Biasing your weight forward helps your shooting without compromising your balance in a negative way.

Adam
08-03-2011, 08:00 AM
The difference is that our physiology is based on controlled forward falling (aka, "walking" and "running") and thus it is far harder to push someone over from behind than from in front or the side. Biasing your weight forward helps your shooting without compromising your balance in a negative way.

Agreed, well stated, Todd.

london waldorF
08-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the tips.,This can improve my shooting.,