PDA

View Full Version : Force Science Certification Course

Lon
11-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Mods, if you want to move this to the AAR section, feel free. Since this is mostly LE oriented, I put it here.

This week I had the privilege of completing the Force Science Institute's 40 hour Force Science Certification Course in Columbus, Ohio. We had 47 students in the class from across the country and Canada. A bunch were from Ohio, but I know there were 2 Canadians, one guy from LAPD and some from NY, IN and KY. It was quite a week. It was a whirlwind of learning from some of the best minds in the business. Just about everyone had a PhD or MD or some other -D after their name. Instructors included Dr. Alexis Artwohl, Dr. Lewinski, Attorney Laura Scarry and numerous others. Each had a specialty, but all were conversant with all of the principles taught in the class because they themselves have taken the whole class. What I found interesting was just about all of the instructors stated that although their research was done primarily to help police officers in general, the principles talked about applied to the regular citizen who was involved in a deadly force encounter as well.

Monday started with a general introduction and then we jumped into the first topic: how the brain works and how memories are formed and how stress can affect that process. I was never a science or biology guy in school, preferring to spend my time with history and geography. This course definitely forces you to put your science and biology thinking caps on if you are like me. This portion of the course really helped me understand things I already knew, it just clarified the WHY.

After that we started moving into the "biomechanics surrounding high-stress, rapidly evolving deadly force encounters". Part of this was taught by Dr Azar-Dickens. He was quite a character, he began researching this stuff and got so intrigued with police work that he put himself through the Academy and is now a part time Officer down South.

Tuesday we started the day talking about vision and how your eyes interact with your brain and how they impact human performance under stress. After vision we talked about decision making and motor performance and appropriate training and how it can affect reaction time.

Wednesday, Dr. Lewinski started off the day. He popped in and out throughout the week teaching his topics and explaining some of the studies they have done and how they have impacted cases across the country and across the sea. Later that day we had sessions with Dr. Christine Hall (expert in excited delirium) and Dr. Alexis Artwohl. If you have never read Dr. Artwohl's book Deadly Force Encounters, I encourage you to do so. I actually need to get another copy, since I gave mine to a buddy involved in an OIS last year. Great book about the psychological aftermath of an OIS.

Thursday we started off with Dr. Geiselman. He introduced us to the Cognitive Interview. An excellent session on the best way to "mine" as much information from a victim/witness's memory.

After that, we took the written test. There was ALOT of information covered those first 3.5 days so the test was not your typical LE course written test. After the test and after lunch, we spent several hours listening to Laura Scarry. Laura is a former cop turned attorney who specializes in representing police officers involved in UoF incidents. Very knowledgeable and fun to listen to. There were ALOT of questions in this session. I'll be honest, listening to some of the people in the class I was happy to work where I do. Some of the departments represented treat their officers like crap after an OIS. Kinda sad and scary.

After Laura we spent more time with Dr. Lewinski Thursday afternoon and Friday reviewing some of the cases and research FSI has been involved in. We wrapped up about lunchtime on Friday. One thing I didn't mention was the fact that after every day's session, their was a "Socratic" style learning/discussion session about a case we were given on Monday and told to review that night. I rarely got outta class before 1730-1745.

All in all, it was a great class and I encourage anyone that can attend the course to do so. My agency sent me, but I planned on paying for my own tuition and taking vacation if they wouldn't. Money well spent. My only real complaint (which I put on my evaluation) was that they cram so much info into the course we sometimes didn't have as much time to spend on a topic as we would have liked to. As much as I valued what Laura had to say, I kinda think that the time we spent talking legal stuff woulda been better spent on some of the other topics.

SeriousStudent
11-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the class review, and for the references.

Deadly Force Encounters is on my pile of books to read, I'll move it up the to the top.

Stay safe.

Chuck Haggard
11-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I recommend Deadly Force Encounters to every cop and CCW person I talk to that hasn't read it. It's a great book.

Dr's Artwohl and Lewinski are some of the very best people on the planet at what they do, and are gifted speakers and instructors. I attended a couple of training classes they did before the FSRC cert class came on-line and those classes were some of the best training I have ever seen.

Totem Polar
11-01-2014, 05:25 PM
This place... off to Amazon again...

ST911
11-01-2014, 06:49 PM
All in all, it was a great class and I encourage anyone that can attend the course to do so. My agency sent me, but I planned on paying for my own tuition and taking vacation if they wouldn't. Money well spent. My only real complaint (which I put on my evaluation) was that they cram so much info into the course we sometimes didn't have as much time to spend on a topic as we would have liked to. As much as I valued what Laura had to say, I kinda think that the time we spent talking legal stuff woulda been better spent on some of the other topics.

Any practical exercises or activities, or is FSI still all lecture-driven? Highly informative and educational, but still death by powerpoint.

This place... off to Amazon again...

Get Joan Vickers book on the Quiet Eye while you're there. You'll thank us later.

Lon
11-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Any practical exercises or activities, or is FSI still all lecture-driven? Highly informative and educational, but still death by powerpoint.

Get Joan Vickers book on the Quiet Eye while you're there. You'll thank us later.

Still all lecture. I wish they'd offer a second level for the more practical aspects.

ST911
11-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Still all lecture. I wish they'd offer a second level for the more practical aspects.

I don't think it needs a second level as much as some reorganization. It's a bit befuddling that folks that are on the cutting edge of human performance in force would lag in human performance in adult learning. I wonder if it's academic/professorial creep into the subject matter.

SeriousStudent
11-01-2014, 11:43 PM

Sweet baby Jebus, $72 on Amazon. Joan better thank me, and send me a Christmas card as well.

Is it that good?

Erick Gelhaus
11-02-2014, 12:27 AM
I took the course a couple years ago and I'll disagree, in principle, that it is all lecture. Three evening were spent with your group analyzing a case FSRC worked on. You & the group go through the case, the science and studies that address what happened. On the last day, the group presents it to the rest of the class.

No, you aren't out researching an event or running specific studies but you have to work through an actual event with all of the material you are getting.

To echo the OP, this was the most beneficial class I have taken in my career. It is the only cop class I've taken where there was homework and you really needed to put the time in with that material.

Lon
11-02-2014, 09:06 AM
I took the course a couple years ago and I'll disagree, in principle, that it is all lecture. Three evening were spent with your group analyzing a case FSRC worked on. You & the group go through the case, the science and studies that address what happened. On the last day, the group presents it to the rest of the class.

They don't do that anymore. They talked about how they used to do it. Essentially they said they ran out of time to do the groups anymore with everything else they have to present.

220Eric
12-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Doubled

220Eric
12-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Sweet baby Jebus, $72 on Amazon. Joan better thank me, and send me a Christmas card as well.

Is it that good?

Look for a used one. Amazon or Half Price Books

SeriousStudent
12-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Look for a used one. Amazon or Half Price Books

I did. $65 for a used one on Amazon and ABE books. No joy on a cheaper copy at HPB, and I have a former student working there now, who is looking for me.

Dear Santa: I have been very, very good.

Maple Syrup Actual
12-16-2014, 12:46 AM
I never would have thought of taking this course but I bet it's really interesting.

Maybe one day I'll be able to talk an employer into sending me.

brad413
12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I did. $65 for a used one on Amazon and ABE books. No joy on a cheaper copy at HPB, and I have a former student working there now, who is looking for me.

Dear Santa: I have been very, very good.

the publisher has it for $27: http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Deadly_Force_Encounters

google books has the first chapter up:
https://books.google.com/books?id=wX3KAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=deadly+force+encounters&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mD-SVJHPLISNyATK2IDABA&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=deadly%20force%20encounters&f=false

some of Dr. Artwohl's papers appear to be on google scholar:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=alexis+artwohl&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C46&as_sdtp=

Brad

SeriousStudent
12-18-2014, 01:34 AM
I am sorry, I appear to have miscommunicated. The book that costs $72 is Joan Vicker's book. That's the one I am saving my few sheckels for.

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-Cognition-Decision-Training-Quiet/dp/0736042563

The link you posted is for a different book. I already have a copy of Deadly Force Encounters in my library. It's an excellent book, and has my scribblings in the margins now.

Thanks for the Google links, I will pass them on to my friends.

jlw
12-19-2014, 10:31 PM
I completed the class today in Orlando. We had 125 people in the class. I had previously seen a presentation of Dr. Azar-Dickens at a conference, and it was the same stuff that he taught this week. I have also seen a presentation by a graduate of the program on some of the memory stuff. The most entertaining portion of the class was clearly Dr. Hall on excited delirium. Dr. Geiselman got wrapped up on something and went on for a while and then tried to rush through the rest of his presentation.

All in all, it was a very good course. The boss will be attending one soon, and then we will start sending our CID folks through it.

ST911
12-19-2014, 11:28 PM
I completed the class today in Orlando. We had 125 people in the class. I had previously seen a presentation of Dr. Azar-Dickens at a conference, and it was the same stuff that he taught this week. I have also seen a presentation by a graduate of the program on some of the memory stuff. The most entertaining portion of the class was clearly Dr. Hall on excited delirium. Dr. Geiselman got wrapped up on something and went on for a while and then tried to rush through the rest of his presentation.

All in all, it was a very good course. The boss will be attending one soon, and then we will start sending our CID folks through it.

Doing an AAR?

Still all lecture/.ppt based?

jlw
12-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Doing an AAR?

Still all lecture/.ppt based?

I haven't written up anything yet. It is primarily lecture based, but we did have case discussions each evening.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the information on frame rates and sound not matching up to the correct time on the videos, but people watch a video and swear by it.