PDA

View Full Version : Can I Compete with a Smith and Carry a Ruger?

Jeremy45
10-31-2014, 10:44 PM
Do you guys think a Smith (929) and Ruger (GP100) are similar enough (both being revolvers) that one could shoot them interchangeably? I am considering picking up a 686 or 686+ but the GP100 has a good reputation and seems to be a little easier on the wallet.

The reason for this is I am shooting a 929 in competition next season and am considering carrying a revolver next year as well. I like to carry and compete on the same platform and revolver just looks like fun. What do you guys think…2 Smiths or a Smith and a Ruger?

Jeremy

Lon
10-31-2014, 11:06 PM
929 for comp and 686+ 2.5" for carry. Or a 4" 986 for carry if you want more barrel length.

Jeremy45
10-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Lon,

My first thought was a 986 but they come as a 5" and I'm not wanting to spend that kinda scratch on one, especially to turn around and re-barrel it.

Why 2.5" over 3" 686+?

Jeremy

Chuck Haggard
11-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Paging Caleb...............

I wouldn't see an issue with it myself, even if you were carrying a wheelgun and wanted to be more tactical-er. They are about the same size, cylinder rotates the same direction, etc.

rsa-otc
11-01-2014, 05:07 AM
I don't think you should have too many issues. Just make sure you spend enough time with your differing reloading devices to be competent with both. Unless you are running a Reddot on your competition revolver I would try to get both sets of sights as similar as possible. You know you probably are going to put more rounds down range with the competition gun and you want your eyes to snap to a familiar picture during a self defense situation.

Lon
11-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Lon,

My first thought was a 986 but they come as a 5" and I'm not wanting to spend that kinda scratch on one, especially to turn around and re-barrel it.

Why 2.5" over 3" 686+?

Jeremy

I actually prefer the 3". But haven't seen them locally for some time and the CS-1 3" I've seen have been ridiculously priced. I'd go the 3" first of I coild. I'm actually looking around for something like that now.

Jeremy45
11-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I don't think you should have too many issues. Just make sure you spend enough time with your differing reloading devices to be competent with both. Unless you are running a Reddot on your competition revolver I would try to get both sets of sights as similar as possible. You know you probably are going to put more rounds down range with the competition gun and you want your eyes to snap to a familiar picture during a self defense situation.

This will be key. Since the 929 will be shot the most it will also get the most reloads, but I will definitely be practicing using speed loaders. The position on the belt will be different between competition and carry but I think with practice that won't be any issue. Plus, I can use the carry gun if I do shoot IDPA and practice with it on the clock.

The 686+ is tempting though, one round doesn't seem like much but 7 on board vs 6 seems like a big deal to me. I don't know why other than I am practically to 1911 capacity at that point.

Jeremy

jetfire
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Paging Caleb...............

I wouldn't see an issue with it myself, even if you were carrying a wheelgun and wanted to be more tactical-er. They are about the same sized, cylinder rotates the same direction, etc.

Yeah, I'm with Chuck. In this case they're similar enough it won't matter. Set up your GP100 with a Wilson Combat spring kit and you'll be good to go.

shooter220
11-06-2014, 09:18 PM
The biggest difference is manipulating the cylinder release under pressure, and at least they are both push-type releases, unlike a Colt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Hearne
11-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Back in day, my primary was a Ruger GP-100 and my BUG was a S&W 640. I never had any problems stitching between the two.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
11-18-2014, 11:40 PM
I missed the memo, wh not carry the 929?

Fwiw, I carr(ied) Smiths, Colts, and Rugers interchangably. Ramp fronts painted with hi-vis paint, fixed read notches blacked out, all of them six-shooters. Never had a reason to be concerned with the cylinder release.

GJM
11-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Think he will be carrying a semi-auto, so this may be moot.

jetfire
11-19-2014, 12:29 AM
I missed the memo, wh not carry the 929?

It's a 6.5 inch N-frame, so it'd be like carrying a small car. I like my 929 a lot, but there's no Galaxy where it's a carry gun.

Jeremy45
11-21-2014, 09:26 PM
It's a 6.5 inch N-frame, so it'd be like carrying a small car. I like my 929 a lot, but there's no Galaxy where it's a carry gun.

This, it's as long as a whale rope and pretty heavy too. I'm still carrying a G19 at the moment but am still looking at the Wiley Capp GP100. I probably won't make a decision until the first of the year when I actually start the shooting season again. I don't have enough time to practice during the Christmas season to make a carry weapon switch right now.

Jeremy

Chuck Haggard
11-21-2014, 09:27 PM

If I can conceal it do I get to keep it?

Rich
11-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Do you guys think a Smith (929) and Ruger (GP100) are similar enough (both being revolvers) that one could shoot them interchangeably? I am considering picking up a 686 or 686+ but the GP100 has a good reputation and seems to be a little easier on the wallet.

The reason for this is I am shooting a 929 in competition next season and am considering carrying a revolver next year as well. I like to carry and compete on the same platform and revolver just looks like fun. What do you guys think…2 Smiths or a Smith and a Ruger?

Jeremy

Up front I'm a S&W revolver fan boy!

My two favorite EDC revolvers = GP100 3inch and M686 2.5 or 3inch.

I like the GP100 3inch the best because of the grip. That grip soaks up recoil ! Doing Bill Drills is like cheating when using 38spl or 38spl +P. ( Original rubber grip with wood side inserts)
Now I like S&W looks over the Ruger GP100.
Accuracy is the same and is excellent.
I've shot some of my best groups using a M686 and GP100.

Ive been thinking of giving up my Hi Cap Pistol and go back to a 6 shot revolver for EDC. I would still carry my M642.
I carried the 3inch GP100 AIWB. We called them Belly Guns back in the day.

Yeah I have lots of love for the GP100 even being a S&W fan boy. But that's about the only Ruger handgun I would own.

Rich
11-22-2014, 08:33 AM
I actually prefer the 3". But haven't seen them locally for some time and the CS-1 3" I've seen have been ridiculously priced. I'd go the 3" first of I coild. I'm actually looking around for something like that now.

Like a fool I sold off all my S&W K&L and my 2 GP100`s! Can you get or order the 2.5-3inch M686 without the lock?

Pistol Pete 10
09-26-2015, 08:53 PM
I carry a 642 mostly, LC9 part of the time and once in a while a 2-1/2" 19. You just pull the trigger on all of them.

1986s4
09-27-2015, 08:46 AM
For me the stocks would make the biggest difference. It comes down to where the pistol points in a hurry.