PDA

View Full Version : LaserLyte training cartridge

VolGrad
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I've been a fan of dry fire training for a while but haven't yet justified spending any $ on dry fire gadgets like the SIRT training pistol Todd uses. I played with his in the AFHF in March and like it but it's a good bit of dough.

A buddy recently bought one of these in 9mm and feels it has helped his trigger control quite a bit.

http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Training_System/LT-9_LT-40_LT-45/LT-9_LT-40_LT-45.html

Does anyone else have experience with the LaserLyte training cartridge they can share?

Here's my line of thinking on SIRT vs LaserLyte training cartridge;

SIRT is better because;
auto resetting trigger
take up laser (in addition to shot indicating laser)
cool factor

LaserLyte is better because;
priced at $80 rather than $300-400 (depending on which SIRT model you get)
can be used in multiple guns of same caliber
can still perform slide manipulations since it's used in a live gun
won't need to adjust triggers, add comparable sights, etc. to a SIRT to make training more realistic

What am I missing in my decision process?

Serpico1985
07-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Here's my question. If your dry firing working on trigger control will you be able to see the red dot flash? Would looking for the flash take away from front sight focus? I would definintly get one if the consenus is that it will be a positive.

Corlissimo
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Those look like they are well made, but I have no experience with them.

I just made a post (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1382-Anyone-Use-Lasersnap-Caps&p=22169&viewfull=1#post22169) in the Drills, Test, and Practice section concerning the Lasersnap Caps (http://www.lasersnapcaps.com/index.html) as I'm also looking for something to add to my dryfire routine to help me advance my abilities.

I'm working on getting a Viridian C5L for my EDC gun which will also help me during dryfire exercises. But it's gonna be a few months before the budget will allow it. In the meantime something like the Laserlyte or Lasersnap products might fill in nicely. I plan on ordering a couple of the Lasersnap Caps next payday and will update my original thread with impressions & results.

Let us know if you go for the Laserlyte caps, and how they work out. :cool:

VolGrad
07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Let us know if you go for the Laserlyte caps, and how they work out. :cool:

I have handled one. They do seem of decent quality. They function as intended but are difficult to see in bright daylight at any distance.

My reason for using one would be for visual feedback during indoor, evening dry fire practice at home.

I have solicited input on both the training cartridge and the SIRT pistol from folks whose opinions I value. As expected the responses were quite varied. The going opinion though is these folks do think one would tend to chase the laser more than focusing on the sights. One said pass on both products. One suggested he would use the SIRT pistol for an auto resetting trigger but wouldn't even use the laser feature on it.

I'm kind of torn for now and will probably not buy either right away.

I sent the folks at NLT a msg asking a few questions. One question I had was an ETA on the G19 version. I was told it would be another 6 months before it arrived but it would have the complete functionality of a real gun. I interpreted this to mean it would have a moving slide. I could be way off.

TAZ
07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I have used 2 different laser dry firing aids and am considering adding the laserlyte system since my other 2 are dead. The first was a system from BeamHit that had a bore sighted looking laser emitter and a receiver. The receiver would give audio feedback when hit and had masks to block off different sections of the sensor. Higher end system had a playback feature to show your hits and a low profile laser that allowed for holster work. I liked the system, but I couldn't afford the higher end model, so draw and fire were out. The sensor died after a year or so and the emitter not soon afterward. Th second was a Rovatac cartridge system that went into the chamber and used reflective targets that kind of acted like disco balls when hit so you could see the hits without chasing the laser. Emitter fit really loose so it wasn't all that accurate. Emitter also dies within 6 months or so.

I think that the LaserLyte system could be good if you splurge on the receiver that can play back your hits. Otherwise I think you're going to be chasing the laser and shifting focus from your sights to the target just as you break the shot. NOT a good habit to get into IMO.