PDA

View Full Version : GADPA Discontinues IDPA Affiliation

cclaxton
10-28-2014, 12:53 PM
GADPA is the host of one of the Georgia State Match, one of the premier IDPA matches in the nation. It's interesting they did not adopt another affiliation (See PASS thread), but are doing their own thing. I hope this shakes up IDPA in a way that supports popular trends, such as WML, Lasers, and AIWB, and enables Match Directors more flexibility with stage designs. If not, it's a free marketplace.
Cody

Letter from GADPA:

To our GADPA Family,

You are receiving this email to inform you about a decision that the GADPA Board of Directors has made about the future of our club. As of October 27th, 2014, the Greater Atlanta Defensive Pistol Association is discontinuing its affiliation with the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA).

This decision was not taken likely. Due to irreconcilable differences with IDPA Headquarters/Leadership, GADPA is perusing a exciting new direction. Matches will continue under the GADPA banner (Both indoor and outdoor ranges). These events will now be GADPA matches, not IDPA matches. GADPA will continue to deliver the quality you have come to expect. Please be patient while we make this transition.

This decision is made with the best intention for our club. We realize this may not sit well with some of you. However IDPA in Georgia will continue under other clubs. We realize there will be several questions and we ask for your patients while we address those concerns.

We appreciate your understanding and we look forward to serving you in our new direction.

Sincerely,

GADPA Board of Directors
Capel English
Rhett Crutchfield
Mark Gallo
Eric Mandus
Brett Hanus
Matt McKee
Ken Murano

LittleLebowski
10-28-2014, 01:11 PM
I'd love to see some details on this.

JHC
10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Some FB discussion referred to their moving target system for outdoor matches. I should check them out.

Alpha Sierra
10-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Well, Joyce said that if you didn't like it you could leave.........

Words have consequences.

orionz06
10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
This pleases me. A friend who used to live down there had nothing but good things to say about that group. I would bet they will only improve from here.

cclaxton
10-28-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd love to see some details on this.
This is all I know about. But I am friends with a couple of people down there.. will try to find out the background.
GADPA makes use of a lot of electronics to trigger movers, uses servos and other very sophisticated props. I was going to the Ga State Match this year, but instead went to Liberty match...well...guess I missed that opportunity.
Cody

Jim Watson
10-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Reading the PASS Thread, I think I can see why they didn't affiliate with that group. There are already complaints that it is insufficiently different from IDPA.

Be interesting to see just how elaborate targets could bring about a schism. Ol Dave in Montgomery is proud of his machinery and keeps adding gimmicks, too.

Alpha Sierra
10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Be interesting to see just how elaborate targets could bring about a schism.
Assuming that's the reason why.....

It couldn't possibly be membership dissatisfaction with many aspects of the new rule book, the process that was used to put it in place, and the comments made by HQ.

Fire-Medic
10-28-2014, 04:49 PM

It couldn't possibly be membership dissatisfaction with many aspects of the new rule book, the process that was used to put it in place, and the comments made by HQ.
No that wouldn't have anything to do with it....... :rolleyes:

gtmtnbiker98
10-28-2014, 05:32 PM
I've considered taking my club to USPSA and departing IDPA, myself.

Alpha Sierra
10-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Do it. The second weekend of the month is yours. That will give us five matches a month every month of the season in SWOH.

Jim Watson
10-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Immediately after the usually successful IDPA Georgia State sounds like a strange time to jump ship.
Unless they got fed up after taking people's money and had to put on one more match.

Alpha Sierra
10-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Immediately after the usually successful IDPA Georgia State sounds like a strange time to jump ship.

Not as strange as IDPA banning a very popular pistol the day before Nationals.

Wheeler
10-28-2014, 06:06 PM

From what I heard all three participants that planned to shoot it were extremely upset. ;-)

Alpha Sierra
10-28-2014, 06:30 PM
From what I heard all three participants that planned to shoot it were extremely upset. ;-)
I know you're joking, and it's likely that not that many people were affected.

However, the timing of the decision was a major dick move that left a really bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people, most of which don't even own a CZ pistol.

cclaxton
10-28-2014, 06:39 PM
I really like the USCA rules with a couple of exceptions. If they allowed for pistol - only matches and allowed MD'S to require concealment.

PASS is a draft...will take time to work out the rules.
Cody

Wheeler
10-28-2014, 06:57 PM
I know you're joking, and it's likely that not that many people were affected.

However, the timing of the decision was a major dick move that left a really bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people, most of which don't even own a CZ pistol.

I agree the timing was poor. I oft times wonder if Joyce and Robert are trying to run IDPA into the ground. It's certainly not the sport it used to be when I joined 14ish years ago. Fortunately there are still a couple of local clubs that have IDPA shooting matches based on solid scenarios, not sticking you in the trunk of a car with hands cuffed in front and a loaded pistol and calling it plausible.

PPGMD
10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Fortunately there are still a couple of local clubs that have IDPA shooting matches based on solid scenarios, not sticking you in the trunk of a car with hands cuffed in front and a loaded pistol and calling it plausible.

You mean that doesn't happen to you weekly?

gtmtnbiker98
10-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Do it. The second weekend of the month is yours. That will give us five matches a month every month of the season in SWOH.
It will be easier, now that we will be able to shoot the side berms after the range improvements.

cclaxton
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree the timing was poor. I oft times wonder if Joyce and Robert are trying to run IDPA into the ground. It's certainly not the sport it used to be when I joined 14ish years ago. Fortunately there are still a couple of local clubs that have IDPA shooting matches based on solid scenarios, not sticking you in the trunk of a car with hands cuffed in front and a loaded pistol and calling it plausible.
A very well known Match Director once told me: "what we are selling is entertainment." Interesting, clever, and fun COF should be part of the game. Perhaps there is a demand for "old school" type COF...but I don't see it. Participants are looking for a fun challenge, not just to see how fast and accurate they can shoot a stage.
Cody

Wheeler
10-28-2014, 10:39 PM
A very well known Match Director once told me: "what we are selling is entertainment." Interesting, clever, and fun COF should be part of the game. Perhaps there is a demand for "old school" type COF...but I don't see it. Participants are looking for a fun challenge, not just to see how fast and accurate they can shoot a stage.
Cody

I disagree. I can enjoy a challenging shooting problem without reenacting a ludicrous scene from a poorly written movie.

cclaxton
10-28-2014, 10:56 PM
I disagree. I can enjoy a challenging shooting problem without reenacting a ludicrous scene from a poorly written movie.
I can, too. But I don't think that is representative of the majority of action pistol shooters. And, as a Match Director, I need to fill out squads to make matches a success and to make enough to justify the time and investment. I am catering to my customers and a competitive marketplace. IDPA sanctioned matches have more than doubled in the last 5 years. Clubs are competing for customers. One way to do that is to jazz up the stages with interesting props, challenging shooting positions, etc. While some of it seems corny, it challenges competitors mentally and makes it more fun for others. USPSA stages I have shot recently involved shaky bridges, use of vehicles, carrying a briefcase forcing strong hand, etc. It's not just IDPA.
Cody

LittleLebowski
10-29-2014, 09:29 AM
I can, too. But I don't think that is representative of the majority of action pistol shooters. And, as a Match Director, I need to fill out squads to make matches a success and to make enough to justify the time and investment. I am catering to my customers and a competitive marketplace. IDPA sanctioned matches have more than doubled in the last 5 years. Clubs are competing for customers. One way to do that is to jazz up the stages with interesting props, challenging shooting positions, etc. While some of it seems corny, it challenges competitors mentally and makes it more fun for others. USPSA stages I have shot recently involved shaky bridges, use of vehicles, carrying a briefcase forcing strong hand, etc. It's not just IDPA.
Cody

Get me in and out of the match in time to enjoy the rest of a weekend day with my family and you can keep the props.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm interested in the AIWB issue. I shoot with a national IDPA match director and a tiger team dude. When they were asked at a match by someone outraged over not be able to use a AIWB their response was that they did not trust the safety and handling procedures of all that come to the match. So how does one qualify a person with an AIWB as compared to a standard holster. Are they more risky than the IWB or OWBs on the hip? That the folks protesting to IDPA hidden bunker command are competent is one thing but the average newcomer. Having had a few Serpa leg shots around here and almost having a guy shoot me in the foot on holstering - I'm curious to the expertise vs. novice dimension on this equipment issue.

Given that - yep - some of the rules are quite stupid.

Mr_White
10-29-2014, 10:56 AM
I'd agree that as a total generality, self-inflicting with AIWB may have a lot worse result than self-inflicting with a strong side holster.

That said, I think muzzle direction can be controlled to have even less intersection with the body in AIWB than with a strong side IWB rig. It doesn't necessarily have to be the case that AIWB carries a higher penalty for NDing.

USPSA has allowed appendix carry I think forever – which has been popular at times as a race holster, albeit OWB.

If match officials are that concerned that any particular person is actually going to shoot themselves, I would think they'd just not be allowed to shoot regardless of their holster position.

orionz06
10-29-2014, 11:19 AM
If match officials are that concerned that any particular person is actually going to shoot themselves, I would think they'd just not be allowed to shoot regardless of their holster position.

That is more than reasonable. I don't think we're dealing with the brightest people or the most reasonable people. If we were smart and reasonable change might be occurring.

rob_s
10-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Likely not.

This likely has a lot more to do with a bunch of butthurt on both sides. GADPA for wanting to be IDPA, right up until they want to be something else, and IDPA for... Joyce.

rob_s
10-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Except that this isn't really what happened. But why get in the way of a good IDPA bash?

NEPAKevin
10-29-2014, 11:58 AM
A very well known Match Director once told me: "what we are selling is entertainment." ...
Cody

Frank Glover posted that same sentiment on the IDPA yahoo mailing list around ten years ago.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IDPA/conversations/messages/76989

cclaxton
10-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Frank Glover posted that same sentiment on the IDPA yahoo mailing list around ten years ago.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IDPA/conversations/messages/76989
It is the person who said that to me...I just didn't want to "out him" without asking.
Cody

Alpha Sierra
10-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Except that this isn't really what happened.

The announcement of the CZ SP-01 Accu Shadow's SSP disqualification (meaning it is illegal to use in IDPA at all) was made public, as far as I am aware, on September 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM. You can review this: http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/11522/CZ-SP01-Accu-Shadow-not-legal-for-SSP for reference.

The IDPA National Championship began on September 9, 2014; less than 24 hours from the announcement on the IDPA forum.

If you can explain how that doesn't square with what I said, I'm all ears.

Haraise
10-29-2014, 12:41 PM
The announcement of the CZ SP-01 Accu Shadow's SSP disqualification (meaning it is illegal to use in IDPA at all) was made public, as far as I am aware, on September 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM. You can review this: http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/11522/CZ-SP01-Accu-Shadow-not-legal-for-SSP for reference.

The IDPA National Championship began on September 9, 2014; less than 24 hours from the announcement on the IDPA forum.

I'm interested to hear how this is false as well.

jetfire
10-29-2014, 12:44 PM

Because the gun was never legal in the first place.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-29-2014, 12:46 PM
That's a reasonable point about not letting someone shoot. I recall the SO grabbing a newbie who was struggling dangerously with a Serpa on the first stage of a match.

They do get excited when they are stopped. USPSA or IDPA or stee, etc, are all games.

Alpha Sierra
10-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Because the gun was never legal in the first place.
The Accu Shadow was and is a catalog production item for CZ-USA. Until CZ Custom was arbitrarily ruled to not be an OEM, the Accu Shadown was no different than any other pistol in CZ's catalog and all of its accuracy enhancements were FACTORY features and thus not subject to the lists of prohibited or approved mods.

It is also obvious to anyone but the most hardcore of IDPA apologists that the ruling was made to target CZ and carefully worded to avoid offending one of IDPA's major sponsors located in Springfield, MA.

jetfire
10-29-2014, 01:06 PM
It is also obvious to anyone but the most hardcore of IDPA apologists that the ruling was made to target CZ and carefully worded to avoid offending one of IDPA's major sponsors located in Springfield, MA.

That's so ignorant it's not even worth a reply...and yet here I am.

The Accu-Shadow was never legal for SSP, and the only reason people thought it was illegal for SSP was because of a mistake. Yes, the timing was unfortunate, but thinking that the ruling came about because S&W pressured IDPA is a pretty clear indicator that you 1) didn't actually talk to anyone IDPA's leadership about it, and 2) believe pretty much anything you read on the internet.

I talked to multiple Tiger Team members and IDPA employees about it, so unless a half-dozen people all lied directly to my face about what caused the issue, I'm going to go with their story.

cclaxton
10-29-2014, 01:17 PM
The reason GADPA withdrew had nothing to do with the Accushadow.
My source, although still heresay, is related to the downgrade from Level 4 to Level 3 for the Ga State IDPA Match after the match was completed. But their unhappiness with the new rules was underlying the issues.
Cody

Alpha Sierra
10-29-2014, 01:27 PM
The Accu-Shadow was never legal for SSP

Quote a rule from the old rulebook that proves that.

jetfire
10-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Quote a rule from the old rulebook that proves that.

8.2.1.1. Handguns permitted for use in SSP must:
8.2.1.1.1. Have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units.

jetfire
10-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Here's a fun update from IDPA HQ on the situation:

I understand your frustration. However, please consider redirecting that towards the GADPA. Although they may have advertised the match as a Tier 4, they at no time spoke with HQ about achieving that level. It never appeared on IDPA’s website as Tier 4 match. The club failed to send the stages to HQ for review per the rulebook requirements for a Tier 4 match. Had they done so it is most likely we could have advised them that the open squadding (in a tier 4 match) and several other easily correctable issues were against the rulebook. I was unaware that they even had open squadding until after the match was listed as a Tier 3.
Basically, this club failed to follow a number of simple IDPA rules. None of which even came close to falling in a “gray” area. The number one complaint from members is clubs/matches not following the rules. This club failed to do so on multiple levels and when faced with the consequences of those action decided to quit rather than take any responsibility of them.
Robert Ray
International Defensive Pistol Association

I hate to interrupt a good IDPA bash with facts and stuff, so ya'll can go back to doing that now.

cclaxton
10-29-2014, 03:45 PM
I would like to hear about the future. The more I look at PASS and USCA, the less I like them. the KSTG rules are looking pretty good right now.
Cody

Mr_White
10-29-2014, 03:56 PM
I hate to interrupt a good IDPA bash with facts and stuff, so ya'll can go back to doing that now.

That's a pretty fair point against the internet in general, but I also think IDPA has fairly earned a lot of the animosity directed its way.

the KSTG rules are looking pretty good right now.

KSTG has some potential for sure, but G34s need to be legal. I know it's been decided otherwise though.

JV_
10-29-2014, 04:18 PM
G34s need to be legal.

Agreed

orionz06
10-29-2014, 04:21 PM
So... To continue the tangent. While the IDPA rules ruffle my vest so do the KSTG rules. Where they differ is that Todd has engaged in conversation concerning the rules. While said explanation may or may not be agreeable he was willing to discuss it. That makes me wanna grab my G17 and shoot it. IDPA says they listen and then does what they want anyway because they never intended on changing. Same result, on party respects the participants while the other collects sponsorship dollars.

Mr_White
10-29-2014, 04:23 PM
So... To continue the tangent. While the IDPA rules ruffle my vest so do the KSTG rules. Where they differ is that Todd has engaged in conversation concerning the rules. While said explanation may or may not be agreeable he was willing to discuss it. That makes me wanna grab my G17 and shoot it. IDPA says they listen and then does what they want anyway because they never intended on changing. Same result, on party respects the participants while the other collects sponsorship dollars.

That makes a significant difference to me too.

Wheeler
10-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Cody

The SC State Championship was one of the oldest running sanctioned matches in the country. Right up until 2012 when IDPA HQ pissed off the old and new match directors. Their answer was to stop holding a sanctioned match. One that they never, ever had an issue finding shooters to attend. They never had a problem designing stages that complied with not only the rules, but with the original intent of IDPA and managed to make sense.

I'm quite familiar with GADPA, their stage design rationale, props, and logistics in running a match. I'm also acquainted with several of their BoD members. I was shooting IDPA at SRGC before the guy that started GADPA came along as far as that goes. The only I bring that up is to clarify that I'm familiar with not only the players but a good majority of the games they play. I quit attending their monthly matches out of a matter of principle and a quite frankly got tired of having discussions about rules that usually start with "I don't know where you get your information but at GADPA...."

Also, for the record, after having been a card carrying SO since 2001 I didn't recertify in the new system out of protest with many of the rules changes. My email to IDPA HQ has still not been replied to. So I'm not an apologist for IDPA, it's just the best game around for my purposes.

nwhpfan
10-29-2014, 07:05 PM
IDPA has been getting a lot of heat...more so than usual :) and more and more from it's own (former) supporters. I shoot USPSA regularly; and one organized monthly outlaw match a few times a year. No organization fits "my idea" of the perfect game entirely either.

Wendell
10-29-2014, 10:10 PM
IDPA has been getting a lot of heat...more so than usual :) and more and more from it's own (former) supporters. I shoot USPSA regularly; and one organized monthly outlaw match a few times a year. No organization fits "my idea" of the perfect game entirely either.

If we can compare shooting to religion, one can possess a genuine faith without having found an organized cult whose dogma we can accept entirely. Fortunately, with shooting, unlike with faith and religion, total acceptance is not an absolute pre-condition.

1986s4
10-30-2014, 08:31 AM
I am a GADPA member. I got the email a day or so after the match, which I shot. The match was very challenging, the movers here have to be seen to be believed and they don't slow down the match at all, most are self resetting. I am acquainted with many of the BOD members, they have always seemed to be reasonable men.

But I do know there has been friction between GADPA and the national organization. I am not sure of the origin of this friction. I have been told there is a long list of reasons but I haven't seen this list yet.. I am trying hard to withhold judgment for a few days but I am beginning to think there is a dose of butt hurt here in Atlanta.

TheRoland
10-30-2014, 08:34 AM
8.2.1.1. Handguns permitted for use in SSP must:
8.2.1.1.1. Have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units.

Not to derail, but why didn't IDPA say anything about 2000 units or rule 82111 then? As an IPDA Member, if I want to get the real justification for a rule change, must I ignore what the clarification says and instead talk to "multiple Tiger Team members and employees about it"?

If I recall, USPSA lists the gun as having more than 2000 units; was that the mistake?

gtmtnbiker98
10-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Not to derail, but why didn't IDPA say anything about 2000 units or rule 82111 then? As an IPDA Member, if I want to get the real justification for a rule change, must I ignore what the clarification says and instead talk to "multiple Tiger Team members and employees about it"?

If I recall, USPSA lists the gun as having more than 2000 units; was that the mistake?IMO, the "Tiger Team" is the biggest joke regarding IDPA. It appears to be the more opinionated middle aged tactical tards who can no longer compete under the old rules so they create new rules to favor their lack of skill.

Yes, I'm an IDPA member but not for sure if I'll renew my membership.

TheRoland
10-30-2014, 08:46 AM
IMO, the "Tiger Team" is the biggest joke regarding IDPA. It appears to be the more opinionated middle aged tactical tards who can no longer compete under the old rules so they create new rules to favor their lack of skill.

Yes, I'm an IDPA member but not for sure if I'll renew my membership.

I'm not trying to bash IDPA in general here, I'm just trying to find out the 'real' reasoning for the rule change, since Caleb seems to know. If the USPSA Production list is mistaken, then I'm just wondering why they didn't tell the membership.

JHC
10-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Get me in and out of the match in time to enjoy the rest of a weekend day with my family and you can keep the props.

+1 That right there.

NEPAKevin
10-30-2014, 09:14 AM
It is the person who said that to me...I just didn't want to "out him" without asking.
Cody

Which is certainly a considerate policy. My point was that Frank has been expressing this sentiment for years both in public speech and print and do not see any reason that he should not be credited for what is an astute and honest observation. Mr. Glover may not talk a lot but when he does, he does say a lot and people should listen.

cclaxton
10-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Which is certainly a considerate policy. My point was that Frank has been expressing this sentiment for years both in public speech and print and do not see any reason that he should not be credited for what is an astute and honest observation. Mr. Glover may not talk a lot but when he does, he does say a lot and people should listen.
+1
Cody

Alpha Sierra
10-30-2014, 11:06 AM

If I recall, USPSA lists the gun as having more than 2000 units; was that the mistake?

That's the IDPA way, and one of the several reasons why I don't renew my membership

jetfire
10-30-2014, 12:43 PM
I'm not trying to bash IDPA in general here, I'm just trying to find out the 'real' reasoning for the rule change, since Caleb seems to know. If the USPSA Production list is mistaken, then I'm just wondering why they didn't tell the membership.

Getting on the USPSA Production list involves signing a form that says you pinky swear you produced 2,000 units.

That's it.

Remember when the FNS longslide got approved and the stupid half of the gunternet was all "HERP DERP LIES!!!!!!" but the Accu-Shadow gets approved and no one bats an eye. I like Angus, he's a cool dude, but if CZ-Custom has actually made 2,000 of those guns I will eat my leather holster.

Alpha Sierra
10-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Getting on the USPSA Production list involves signing a form that says you pinky swear you produced 2,000 units.

That's it.

Remember when the FNS longslide got approved and the stupid half of the gunternet was all "HERP DERP LIES!!!!!!" but the Accu-Shadow gets approved and no one bats an eye. I like Angus, he's a cool dude, but if CZ-Custom has actually made 2,000 of those guns I will eat my leather holster.

At least USPSA has a process. What's IDPA's process? Do they have one for verifying production quantities? I think we all know the answer to that.

jetfire
10-30-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm done here.

TheRoland
10-30-2014, 01:40 PM

That's it.

Understood. Thanks.

cclaxton
10-30-2014, 03:49 PM
The latest from GADPA.
https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/cBeINF7P_H-3FbT0KOGZu1vXqe2xObHpCl_-L5182ANco2lWcEf-5h9FWTZoH6BZSMt7eLjAunoeHJso4sVVoOPRbIm15T7gtBBiFk yrEHtnHtJv6-82fmox4_EUw0-INk-BEDvZPg6FDtARGx6fxtbKoIoCevVvf8tsXGkhWcG3vm0vYwZl0 Dxy-2x0Py_VqsPUz3ap1SqRc6HAbXDJ6sNC3k-kwKERbzYAPm44wHwE8LcKd6grX7wcF1fC8DA7-1zHP2iwXrTKjMupuQMe=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.gadpa.com/EmailTracker/EmailTracker.ashx?emailCode=YOc6miIyj5IrsxxOtjFLDM Jv0tstozNil5eR2lHEMrKGy%2fJEVQwIZ53JYgQXfkSmhE%2bg xBDRjw%2f%2bjvewZ%2fXI6wIgvyw2YbuZpR7Gt%2fk8Q4M%3d To our GADPA Family,

This purpose of this message is to, hopefully, clear up some of the confusion around the board of director’s decision from last Monday night. We will not be going into the details of who did what to whom. We know that this will not stop all of the questions that everyone will be asking about our announcement but we hope that this will help you to understand our position.

The 2014 IDPA Georgia State Championship was a lot of work and it was well received by the competitors. However, for those of us involved in the administration side of the match, it just wasn’t fun having to deal with the IDPA bureaucracy. The BOD spent hundreds of hours setting up this match. Only those who selflessly donate their time know the hundreds of details that go into putting on a match of this size and quality. It took years to refine the details in order to make the match run as smoothly as possible. It wasn’t perfect and it never will be, but were it not for the GADPA volunteers, there would be no matches at all.

IDPA HQ has for many years made decisions and rules that fall beyond our grasp. Without going into any specifics, their actions have destroyed our confidence in the organization. Specifics will just lead to a shouting contest and solve nothing. As a result of this loss of confidence, the BOD has decided to no longer run IDPA governed matches. GADPA is a not-for-profit organization and all of the work that is put into the shooting sports is for fun. When the fun is gone, the life blood of the organization dies. GADPA has grown from one outdoor match with an average attendance of 36 shooters to 10 indoor matches and an average outdoor match attendance of approximately 100. To put it succinctly, we love the defensive pistol shooting sports!

The BOD made the choice to walk away from IDPA because of the headaches associated with dealing with IDPA leadership. We have no ill will towards IDPA and think that it a good sport for the people that enjoy it, but for GADPA, it is no longer the direction that we would like to pursue. Many other clubs in the southeast and around the country have made the same decision. With 300 members, GADPA is probably the biggest club to make this move and for this reason the decision has stirred quite a bit of controversy. That was not our goal.
We pride ourselves in the comradery that has developed and consider our members family. This decision may not sit well with all of our GADPA shooters and it was not our intent to upset you. However, GADPA is completely comprised of volunteers and is structured as a not for profit organization. Everyone within GADPA is allowed to volunteer their time as they see fit. The BOD has chosen to no longer VOLUNTEER our time toward IDPA.

GADPA will continue to hold defensive pistol shooting matches. We will adopt a set of rules and the members will have an opportunity to provide feedback. This will take some time, but we will not do it without GADPA member input. We will continue to be a defensive pistol shooting sport and have no plans to join USPSA.

In the interim, GADPA matches will be run using current IDPA rules, subject to the MD's discretion as to stage design and course of fire. This will afford the MD the flexibility to adjust the course of fire to enhance the match without fear of IDPA HQ criticism. For example, the MD may add more than the authorized number of non-threats, have stages that require strong hand shooting at longer distances or require support hand shooting on the move, and similar adjustments that are not allowed under the current rules, but can enhance the match and the participant's shooting skills. We will encourage MDs to avoid courses of fire that result in the shooter forming bad habits should they wish to compete in other official IDPA matches, but we won't require that stages be thrown out if a competitor objects. We recognize GADPA's roots and that there are many who will still be competing in that arena.
As far as the indoor matches are concerned, we hope they stay with GADPA, but each match will be free to decide what direction they wish to take. If the MD(s), shooters, and range management wish to form their own IDPA club and join the national organization, they are free to do so. We will not stand in the way. It is our hope that both organizations can coexist without animosity.

Lastly, the BOD recognizes who our customers are -- you the shooter. You got involved in competitive shooting because you enjoyed both the people and the matches we run. That is not going to change!

Sincerely,

GADPA Board of DirectorsCapel English
Rhett Crutchfield
Mark Gallo
Brett Hanus
Matt McKee
Ken Murano
Eric Mandus

orionz06
10-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Not bad. Now the question is will IDPA respond or will they just plug their ears, scream LA LA LA, and continue down the same path they always have?

cclaxton
10-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Not bad. Now the question is will IDPA respond or will they just plug their ears, scream LA LA LA, and continue down the same path they always have?
They should sell the story to a daytime TV producer, or reality show.
Cody

abu fitna
10-30-2014, 08:10 PM
KSTG has some potential for sure, but G34s need to be legal. I know it's been decided otherwise though.

Agreed

I still don't own a G34, but agree on principle just the same. My view is that any good defensive gun "game" needs to provide a platform to test equipment under a variety of experimental conditions, to both validate choices in gear as well as in the skills of those using that gear under stress (even if only the stress of a match). I know that KSTG went the other way - deliberately seeking to funnel folks into a specific range of gear choices that were validated by consensus. And that isn't always a bad thing in terms up forcing some folks at the entry level to think very hard about their assumptions and bring enough gun, and to wear the gun one actually wants to wear versus a barely disguised race gun and vest. But a lot of utility in terms of data collection at scale does get lost. Nonetheless though some folks are doing their best to bring that utility at the individual level; as witnessed by the wide range of interesting weapons that come out over the years, including the revolvers, 3rd gen smiths, et al. But that tends to be folks that don't focus on match wins (though a few folks there are pretty damn good to begin with in their own right, and could go for the win in a more conventional gear choice I am sure).

I still would like to see more experimental / validation stages; truly set up to test hard questions. Things like "need" for single stack versus double stack in solving certain problems; WML versus handheld versus laser, fiber versus tritium under varying light conditions, or even out towards the margin cases such as flappy paddle mag release versus traditional mag release (or even versus euro style heel clip). We used to get a lot of this ancillary to the gun games - if folks bothered to take notes. Then again, maybe these objectives aren't suitable as a game thing anymore, but needs to be a structured testing program in a private study group.

Wheeler
10-30-2014, 08:35 PM
The latest from GADPA.
https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/cBeINF7P_H-3FbT0KOGZu1vXqe2xObHpCl_-L5182ANco2lWcEf-5h9FWTZoH6BZSMt7eLjAunoeHJso4sVVoOPRbIm15T7gtBBiFk yrEHtnHtJv6-82fmox4_EUw0-INk-BEDvZPg6FDtARGx6fxtbKoIoCevVvf8tsXGkhWcG3vm0vYwZl0 Dxy-2x0Py_VqsPUz3ap1SqRc6HAbXDJ6sNC3k-kwKERbzYAPm44wHwE8LcKd6grX7wcF1fC8DA7-1zHP2iwXrTKjMupuQMe=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.gadpa.com/EmailTracker/EmailTracker.ashx?emailCode=YOc6miIyj5IrsxxOtjFLDM Jv0tstozNil5eR2lHEMrKGy%2fJEVQwIZ53JYgQXfkSmhE%2bg xBDRjw%2f%2bjvewZ%2fXI6wIgvyw2YbuZpR7Gt%2fk8Q4M%3d To our GADPA Family,

This purpose of this message is to, hopefully, clear up some of the confusion around the board of director’s decision from last Monday night. We will not be going into the details of who did what to whom. We know that this will not stop all of the questions that everyone will be asking about our announcement but we hope that this will help you to understand our position.

The 2014 IDPA Georgia State Championship was a lot of work and it was well received by the competitors. However, for those of us involved in the administration side of the match, it just wasn’t fun having to deal with the IDPA bureaucracy. The BOD spent hundreds of hours setting up this match. Only those who selflessly donate their time know the hundreds of details that go into putting on a match of this size and quality. It took years to refine the details in order to make the match run as smoothly as possible. It wasn’t perfect and it never will be, but were it not for the GADPA volunteers, there would be no matches at all.

IDPA HQ has for many years made decisions and rules that fall beyond our grasp. Without going into any specifics, their actions have destroyed our confidence in the organization. Specifics will just lead to a shouting contest and solve nothing. As a result of this loss of confidence, the BOD has decided to no longer run IDPA governed matches. GADPA is a not-for-profit organization and all of the work that is put into the shooting sports is for fun. When the fun is gone, the life blood of the organization dies. GADPA has grown from one outdoor match with an average attendance of 36 shooters to 10 indoor matches and an average outdoor match attendance of approximately 100. To put it succinctly, we love the defensive pistol shooting sports!

The BOD made the choice to walk away from IDPA because of the headaches associated with dealing with IDPA leadership. We have no ill will towards IDPA and think that it a good sport for the people that enjoy it, but for GADPA, it is no longer the direction that we would like to pursue. Many other clubs in the southeast and around the country have made the same decision. With 300 members, GADPA is probably the biggest club to make this move and for this reason the decision has stirred quite a bit of controversy. That was not our goal.
We pride ourselves in the comradery that has developed and consider our members family. This decision may not sit well with all of our GADPA shooters and it was not our intent to upset you. However, GADPA is completely comprised of volunteers and is structured as a not for profit organization. Everyone within GADPA is allowed to volunteer their time as they see fit. The BOD has chosen to no longer VOLUNTEER our time toward IDPA.

GADPA will continue to hold defensive pistol shooting matches. We will adopt a set of rules and the members will have an opportunity to provide feedback. This will take some time, but we will not do it without GADPA member input. We will continue to be a defensive pistol shooting sport and have no plans to join USPSA.

In the interim, GADPA matches will be run using current IDPA rules, subject to the MD's discretion as to stage design and course of fire. This will afford the MD the flexibility to adjust the course of fire to enhance the match without fear of IDPA HQ criticism. For example, the MD may add more than the authorized number of non-threats, have stages that require strong hand shooting at longer distances or require support hand shooting on the move, and similar adjustments that are not allowed under the current rules, but can enhance the match and the participant's shooting skills. We will encourage MDs to avoid courses of fire that result in the shooter forming bad habits should they wish to compete in other official IDPA matches, but we won't require that stages be thrown out if a competitor objects. We recognize GADPA's roots and that there are many who will still be competing in that arena.
As far as the indoor matches are concerned, we hope they stay with GADPA, but each match will be free to decide what direction they wish to take. If the MD(s), shooters, and range management wish to form their own IDPA club and join the national organization, they are free to do so. We will not stand in the way. It is our hope that both organizations can coexist without animosity.

Lastly, the BOD recognizes who our customers are -- you the shooter. You got involved in competitive shooting because you enjoyed both the people and the matches we run. That is not going to change!

Sincerely,

GADPA Board of DirectorsCapel English
Rhett Crutchfield
Mark Gallo
Brett Hanus
Matt McKee
Ken Murano
Eric Mandus

Nothing like taking the high road without explaining anything. :-)

cclaxton
10-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Nothing like taking the high road without explaining anything. :-)
I wouldn't say that. They laid the foundation of their complaints out there. They pointed directly at IDPA leadership.

Good leadership requires the confidence of their customers. To dig themselves out of this hole IDPA leaders need to make bold moves and apologize and get ahead of this....or change leadership. We know that formula works....tried and true American formula.

what will IDPA Do?
Cody

PPGMD
10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
what will IDPA Do?

Say that working with match administration will get you killed on the streets. :p

I doubt that IDPA will do anything about it unless there is a major hemorrhage, they've done a lot of BS moves lately and they've said not one thing about it.

It is quite clear that the only members opinion that IDPA HQ will listen to is gross membership revenue. People and clubs need to vote with their membership dollars.

cclaxton
10-30-2014, 11:51 PM
I doubt that IDPA will do anything about it unless there is a major hemorrhage, they've done a lot of BS moves lately and they've said not one thing about it. It is quite clear that the only members opinion that IDPA HQ will listen to is gross membership revenue. People and clubs need to vote with their membership dollars.
I don't have any inside information. But I have seen this happen to other organizations on the business side. There are three typical reactions:
1) They continue to deny and defend and eventually be replaced by those who are concerned more about the future of the organization, which is often those with money or power on the line, or;
2) They realize they need to change, or need to fix things, and make the right moves to publicly apologize and announce bold initiatives, change things they can change immediately, and try to control the damage and accept the changes with gusto, or;
3) The organization is working to affect change but there is a political gridlock over what to do, when to do it, who will do it, etc. In other words, it's a dysfunctional situation and those with power and influence don't have sufficient power or influence to break the gridlock.

I don't know which of these situations and I suspect only the insiders will know which of these apply. I suspect it is not number 2 or they would have already taken more positive action. I do think it's worth saving, as long as they embrace change, and dramatic change, and address the many issues and problems with the operation of IDPA and the rules and the sport. But they need to take bold action soon or the hole they have to dig out of will just get deeper and eventually too deep to dig out.
Cody

Cody

Jim Watson
10-31-2014, 12:03 AM
I still would like to see more experimental / validation stages; truly set up to test hard questions. Things like "need" for single stack versus double stack in solving certain problems; WML versus handheld versus laser, fiber versus tritium under varying light conditions, or even out towards the margin cases such as flappy paddle mag release versus traditional mag release (or even versus euro style heel clip). We used to get a lot of this ancillary to the gun games - if folks bothered to take notes. Then again, maybe these objectives aren't suitable as a game thing anymore, but needs to be a structured testing program in a private study group.

Yup. You want something with a collegial, experimental approach rather than sheer cutthroat competition. Not going to happen on a widespread basis, the best you could do would be to get it going someplace convenient and start writing gunzine and gunboard articles.

GADPA says: We will encourage MDs to avoid courses of fire that result in the shooter forming bad habits should they wish to compete in other official IDPA matches,

That's considerate of them, might help avoid inbreeding.
I know one guy here who is reluctant to get into outlaw shoots that dispense with some of those niggling little rules because he fears it would condition him to collect procedurals in sanctioned matches. Some still do want to play by the rules even if they don't like all of them.

Wheeler
10-31-2014, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't say that. They laid the foundation of their complaints out there. They pointed directly at IDPA leadership.

Good leadership requires the confidence of their customers. To dig themselves out of this hole IDPA leaders need to make bold moves and apologize and get ahead of this....or change leadership. We know that formula works....tried and true American formula.

what will IDPA Do?
Cody

Please refer back to the post I made in reference to knowing the GADPA players and the games they play. IDPA is not the only culprit in this drama.

rob_s
10-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Please refer back to the post I made in reference to knowing the GADPA players and the games they play. IDPA is not the only culprit in this drama.

I don't know the GADPA people from Adam and I could have told you that. This is well-timed shenanigans because:butt-hurt over their match reclassification, timed to take advantage of (intentionally or accidentally, I suspect the latter) all of the general dissatisfaction over the rules.

I blame the internet for 99% of this garbage. When people just came out and shot, and saw each other once a month at the local and two or three times a year at sanctioned, matches things went much smoother and with far less drama. Look at all the garbage spewed about the CZ debacle prior to Nationals. Even just 10 years ago that would have been a complete non-issue.

When I started shooting with my local IDPA club we saw each other at the matches, and select few exchanged emails and phone calls away from the range. Some people made strong friendships on the range that extended off the range to include other social interactions, and extending to their families, etc. We never encountered such drama as we did when they opened up the discussion forum online. The damage from the personal problems took YEARS to overcome, and some people still bear animosity towards one another over it. The causes ranged from all kinds of things, such as cops and cop-haters that had shot together without issue, but who now found themselves at odds over things posted online. We had issues with people being given a public venue to spout off about their perceived slights such as a procedural they didn't think they deserved, and the entire club splitting into factions over something so trivial. We had problems where one shooter complained that scores took too long to post, rallied a bunch of people to his cause, and ousted a very long-standing and contributory member of the club.

people take this shit too seriously. I would say they need to get a hobby, except that this is supposed to BE a hobby. Maybe they need a job?

I don't see why any of this is really news, now that I think about it, unless you're a member at GADPA or shoot their (previously) sanctioned matches. For anyone else it's a non-issue. Unless, of course, your hobby is the internet and arguments therein.

JHC
10-31-2014, 07:51 AM
people take this shit too seriously. I would say they need to get a hobby, except that this is supposed to BE a hobby. Maybe they need a job?

ROFL that is great. Same thing is the most pedestrian of civic organizations. Must be some part of human nature too.

Peally
10-31-2014, 08:03 AM

Going to have to agree here. USPSA and IDPA both have their issues but the drama is at comical levels. Maybe I'm being naive here but they've both always just been games with different sets rules to me. Ones you can dump a lot of time and money into to become perfect, but at the end of the day still games.

cclaxton
10-31-2014, 08:22 AM
people take this shit too seriously. I would say they need to get a hobby, except that this is supposed to BE a hobby.
Absolutely! Well said.
Cody

Glenn E. Meyer
10-31-2014, 10:19 AM
That's the truth about local group psychology. We had two IDPA venues. One is still run as a business in cooperation with the range. Runs quite well. The other was a combined IDPA and USPSA club. It fell apart due to internal silliness. The first venue took up the slack. The match runner said he decided on the business model just to avoid the club DB fun fest.

Every organizations becomes factions in a bit of time.

Mr_White
10-31-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't think it's at all unfair to say that the internet helps fan the flames of controversy, real and imagined. I also haven't experienced competition shooting prior to the current internet situation, so maybe I don't have good perspective on this.

It seems like the flipside to that coin is slimy or incompetent officials being able to sweep things under the rug and dodge responsibility for all kinds of wrongness that few people end up knowing about. Maybe it wasn't always hunky dory before the internet, now we just know about it?

I dunno.

rob_s
10-31-2014, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's at all unfair to say that the internet helps fan the flames of controversy, real and imagined. I also haven't experienced competition shooting prior to the current internet situation, so maybe I don't have good perspective on this.

It seems like the flipside to that coin is slimy or incompetent officials being able to sweep things under the rug and dodge responsibility for all kinds of wrongness that few people end up knowing about. Maybe it wasn't always hunky dory before the internet, now we just know about it?

I dunno.

If you don't know about the "wrongness", does it matter?

I'll give you another local example, also something that turned ugly online...

One of the members of the club started asking questions about where the money was going. Then he started insinuating that it was going into the pockets of the BOD. then, because of the forum and other battle lines that had been drawn thereon, other people started jumping in.

From the get go, my reply was "who cares"? Our club puts on three monthly Saturday matches now plus two Tuesday night events. They are there early, set up, sign people in, run the show, tear down... and many make a 45+ minute drive each way to do that. So frankly, I hope they are getting rich doing it! The stages are engaging, the props are kept in good order, we get raffle prizes from time to time, etc. So why on earth would I give one little crap about whether someone on the BOD is skimming $10 from the $100 they take in? As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting fantastic value for my dues and match fees, and that's all I care about. That and the fact that I don't have to do any of that BOD admin crap!

FWIW, I later WAS on the BOD and know for a fact that no skimming was going on, but it just never mattered to me.

Now, if you're talking about some kind of cheating issue, then sure. But I've only ever been tangentially involved in anything like that, and we could have resolved our issues (and ultimately did) without the club membership at large knowing about it and without the forum.

I would submit that "just knowing about it" isn't really a better system, and is likely worse in the vast majority of cases. Ever go read the feedback forum on barfcom? Every dumbass and their mother with nothing better to do starts weighing in on stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with them.

it's, again, a lot like this thread. In terms of day-to-day or week-to-week or millenium-to-millenium is anyone here actually affected by what GADPA does?

tootalltrucker
10-31-2014, 11:19 AM
I am not on the GADPA board but have been involved enough to know just just how hard they and some of the GADPA "regulars" work to set up and run their matches. I am not as familiar with IDPA management other than the comments I see on the internet.

Based on my experience to date and comments I heard prior to the recent match I would strongly speculate:

1. It was not any one issue that led to this. There was just a culmination of things that led to GADPA's decision. As mentioned elsewhere, GADPA is not the first to make this move.
2. When you spend countless hours working on this stuff you eventually get to the point where you question if the administrative burden of dealing with IDPA is worth the benefit. I think GADPA decided the benefit was not worth the aggravation.
3. One thing in particular I am pretty sure was a factor was having to deal with IDPA every time someone wanted to nitpick over whether a stage design was legal or not. GADPA will now have more freedom in stage design and I trust they will adhere to their promise to discourage designs that might lead to bad habits when I shoot sanctioned IDPA events. I look forward to seeing what the changes are. So long as it is safe and is consistent for every shooter then I am fine with changes.
4. I respect the hard work that a core of GADPA people do week in and week out and respect their freedom to decide what they want to do.

I am not knocking IDPA or GADPA. Neither is a member run organization and are therefore free to do as they please, as we all are. While it is just my opinion, I just don't think anyone should feel that there was just one or two items that led to this decision.

PPGMD
10-31-2014, 02:06 PM

Exactly, if it weren't for the internet PVH would still likely be ROing major matches.

Mr_White
10-31-2014, 02:23 PM
If you don't know about the "wrongness", does it matter?

So why on earth would I give one little crap about whether someone on the BOD is skimming $10 from the $100 they take in?

And I thought I had a cynical attitude, lol!

orionz06
10-31-2014, 02:27 PM
Exactly, if it weren't for the internet PVH would still likely be ROing major matches.

+1

Alpha Sierra
10-31-2014, 03:32 PM
+1
+2

The light that makes the roaches and rats scurry

Maple Syrup Actual
10-31-2014, 08:51 PM

I dunno.

Not that I want to get into this awkward cycle where I "like" everything you say or anything but yeah. I'm sure that the good old days were the bad old days.

Lots of greasy, in-crowd, one hand washes the other action and nobody around to notice.

You ever get hired on at a big outfit and realize after a few years that half of the old masters don't have a god damned clue what they're doing, and only their longstanding personal connections keep them employed?

Then someone comes up with a new method to track productivity and there's a huge panic?

I quote the 90s hardcore icon Dwid of moderately lucid band Integrity: humanity is the devil.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Lomshek
11-01-2014, 12:24 AM
So why on earth would I give one little crap about whether someone on the BOD is skimming $10 from the $100 they take in?

LOL As a match director I endorse this message!

If I played my cards right and skimmed profits I could clear hundreds (more than one!!!) per year. This town'll never see me again! Switzerland here I come.

rob_s
11-01-2014, 03:51 PM

Doubtful, but we are also unlikely to change one a others minds on this topic.

I would, however, suggest that one success does not excuse the rest of the bullshit.

jc000
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I quote the 90s hardcore icon Dwid of moderately lucid band Integrity: humanity is the devil

Sorry to go off-topic but awesome to see someone on here who's heard of Integrity!

Maple Syrup Actual
11-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Doubly sorry to continue the drift but heard of, and seen live an indeterminate number of times. Pretty amazing although sort of awkward at times, especially towards the end when Dwid had gone totally nuts and had really long fingernails and what I would have to call a hitler moustache....yeah.

PPGMD
11-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Well I saw a timely post on Facespace today.

https://www.facebook.com/UniversalShootingAcademy

IDPA
I am considering starting an IDPA club. I must admit however IDPA HQ has not made it easy. We do not have enough local SO's which are now required even for local matches. And last time I spoke to the AD there were no classes scheduled in central Florida. Frankly they just weren't helpful in helping me get a new club started.

So that leaves me with a couple choices.

We can start an IDPA 'like' match using IDPA rules, targets, etc. Then when we have enough local support and interest I can probably get an instructor to our area for an SO class. Then we would have to have enough folks that wanted to become SO's in order to run a local match according to the proper rules and then we could affiliate.

Or, we can start the USADPL Universal Shooting Academy Defensive Pistol League. This would be similar to IDPA in the lesser round count, less complexity of target arrangements, defensive gear and divisions, etc. But I could incorporate rules I think more realistic for tactical training or defensive use while keeping the marksmanship requirement and fun factor high. A couple thoughts would be no 10 round limit on mags. And incorporate some Action Steel type stages into the local match. I have many other ideas as well.

But like I said....you're the customer. I'm interested in opinions. Also please share with any friends who may be more into IDPA or defensive shooting who might be interested. Thanks.

cclaxton
11-05-2014, 07:50 AM

I can't comment on Florida, but Ted Murphy has been very available to do SO Training in the NE/Mid-Atlantic. We have two SO trainings scheduled for Nov...one at THurmont MD and one at Peacemaker in WV. And he has other dates available. Also, we have two senior SO's who are being trained to be trainers. At least in this area we can address any requests for SO training.

The key to getting the SO training is to talk to the actual trainer...unfortunately trying to go through HQ the message gets lost. I will try and get this guy a contact.
Cody

cclaxton
11-05-2014, 09:53 AM

I couldn't find this post anywhere on facebook or anywhere on the internet except here at pistol-forum.
Can you provide more information? It's not anywhere on their timeline. I sent him a message with the contact information.
The contact for SO training in the area is Karl Redinger.
Cody

PPGMD
11-05-2014, 11:15 AM
I couldn't find this post anywhere on facebook or anywhere on the internet except here at pistol-forum.
Can you provide more information? It's not anywhere on their timeline. I sent him a message with the contact information.
The contact for SO training in the area is Karl Redinger.

It is currently the second post on their time line.

You can call USA direct, Shannon works there full time. And if Shannon isn't there someone else will typically answer, unless they are all on the range.

wadavis
11-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Have been a IDPA match director in the past. Moved to a area with no practical pistol matches of any kind.
There is a local range that is useable for matches. Can not bring myself to start a new IDPA club. Leaning toward KSTG.

cclaxton
11-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Have been a IDPA match director in the past. Moved to a area with no practical pistol matches of any kind.
There is a local range that is useable for matches. Can not bring myself to start a new IDPA club. Leaning toward KSTG.
Good idea...if you can find enough shooters. How much interest is there?
FYI, Shoothouse Shootout is scheduled for May 16-17.
Cody

jlw
12-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Thread rebirth!!!

GADPA as a separate entity is done. It has re-affiliated with IDPA beginning in 1/21. Some of the GADPA players that were involved with the split will no longer be with the club.

My understanding is that the ultimate demise of GADPA as its own thing multifaceted with the primary reasons being that it never grew beyond the metro-Atlanta area and its membership wanting to involved in a sport in which they could shoot a wider variety of sanctioned matches.

Supposedly, the state championship match will rotate between clubs in north, south, and the middle GA. I don't know which clubs those will be. The one in Valdosta has been hosting multiple sanctioned matches per year. Who knows whether IDPA considers Savannah middle or south.

Sharkbite
12-26-2020, 08:40 AM
We realize there will be several questions and we ask for your patients while we address those concerns.
-GADPA letter, original post

The real reason for the failure is that is was a medical organization bent on stealing business from other providers. I mean they blatantly "ask for your patients (sic)". ;) Sorry I have little "PATIENCE" for misuse of homonyms.

Spelling Nazi -- OUT!

Jim Watson
12-26-2020, 09:47 AM
GADPA as a separate entity is done. It has re-affiliated with IDPA beginning in 1/21. Some of the GADPA players that were involved with the split will no longer be with the club.

This looks like what Grandma called "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

My understanding is that the ultimate demise of GADPA as its own thing multifaceted with the primary reasons being that it never grew beyond the metro-Atlanta area and its membership wanting to involved in a sport in which they could shoot a wider variety of sanctioned matches.

Something I always think and sometimes say every time an outlaw match comes up.

The Atlanta area is right on the edge of my "combat radius" for major matches and while I shot several Georgia State IDPA matches at South River (also CAS at Cherokee and BPCR at River Bend), I would not make the trip to learn a new set of rules.
Especially THOSE rules. I seem to be the worst shot on the internet, so I guess I can admit that the GADPA target and scoring were confusing to me. The multi-zone target and the one, two, or three hit scoring were not things I thought I could manage on the fly.

I do shoot a couple of outlaw matches, largely because they are conveniently located. Also they are less distinct from IDPA than GADPA. Frex my home club differs only that threat targets are marked instead of non-threat. The next closest outfit is more stripped down, but shoot it like IDPA and you will not do badly.

jlw
12-26-2020, 10:07 AM
This looks like what Grandma called "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Something I always think and sometimes say every time an outlaw match comes up.

The Atlanta area is right on the edge of my "combat radius" for major matches and while I shot several Georgia State IDPA matches at South River (also CAS at Cherokee and BPCR at River Bend), I would not make the trip to learn a new set of rules.
Especially THOSE rules. I seem to be the worst shot on the internet, so I guess I can admit that the GADPA target and scoring were confusing to me. The multi-zone target and the one, two, or three hit scoring were not things I thought I could manage on the fly.

I do shoot a couple of outlaw matches, largely because they are conveniently located. Also they are less distinct from IDPA than GADPA. Frex my home club differs only that threat targets are marked instead of non-threat. The next closest outfit is more stripped down, but shoot it like IDPA and you will not do badly.

Several of the GADPA Board were banned from IDPA at the time of the split.

I never shot a GADPA match. I was fed up with the way the whole thing went down and pretty much abandoned matches for the open enrollment training world. I'm not looking to jump back into the match scene, but I'll probably shoot some club matches from time to time as some real life changes make travel difficult except during the summer.