PDA

View Full Version : My .02 on ECQC

Mike C
10-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I want to start off by saying this is not a comprehensive review of EQCQ or SN. These are strictly my opinions and thoughts after attending his course. So in fairness and truthfulness nothing I say or write here could even begin to scratch the surface of EQCQ its concepts or the man who teaches it. Even the best reviews I have read about SN and this course don’t do the course material or the man any justice. Now before I'm stoned that is no hit to those who have written a review but there are just some experiences in life that can’t be done justice by words and unless you experience them yourself you will just never know or understand. ECQC is one of those things.

The instructor:

South Narc's professionalism, expertise, and abilities to articulately deliver and relate the material to everyone in the class are just as equally impressive as the material itself. He is extremely detail oriented and focused when teaching but still able to keep things light while adding in relevant experience. He is one of the most legitimate and approachable subject matter experts I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. If you can afford to attend his class you owe it to yourself and everyone around you to attend this class.

The class:

The class I attended was filled with some of the coolest people I have met so far in my short life. Some of the people I met were from this board and others from wildly differing walks of life. If you go to this course which in my opinion you owe it to yourself to do, you will not only learn that you know less than you think you do, but you will meet great people, be highly entertained, and will alter your perceptions and your life. This course is the most brutally honest training that I have ever had the benefit and pleasure of attending. If you want an honest assessment of you, your abilities and skills, (or lack there of) along with where you might stand on the food chain ECQC is the place to do it.

My biggest take aways.

1) A gun is definitely not always the answer to a problem. 2) Guns, other weapons and their introduction into a problem can often create more problems than they actually solve. Introduce a weapon at an inappropriate time due to a bad decision and it can quickly lead to a metric shit ton of other bad decisions. 3) If you carry a weapon whether it’s knife or gun you had better be able to use it effectively at the appropriate proximity or closer and keep someone else from getting his or her hands on it. 4) Strength and cardio fitness enhances everything, don’t neglect either one, I for one neglected strength training due to injuries and was severely hindered by it. 5) Appropriate lifestyle changes and training need to be made and conducted to effectively close the gaps on deficiencies found in hardware, software, skillsets and any physical shortcomings. 6) I need to get me some Jits.

My shitty advice.

If it is your first time depending on your previous training and experience you will probably do poorly. I sure a fuck did. Others didn't but I believe them to be an exception to the rule. I knew going in that I wasn’t going to do very well and that I’d probably end up getting stabbed with my own knife or shot with my own gun but I had no idea. If it goes for you as bad as it did for me regardless of your background don’t beat yourself down from it. Learn from your mistakes and grow from your failures and shortcomings. It is only through failure that we learn.

Aside from EQCQ if you can afford or if time allows take an IAJJ seminar with Cecil Burch. If I could do it all again I would start with that then immediately attend ECQC. There was an individual in my class who attended a course with Cecil before hand and he did excellent by comparison. Based on what I witnessed from him he had a better grasp on the concepts taught by SN and was able to implement them more easily.

The bottom line.

I simply can’t say enough good things about this course or SN. If you can go to this course you really owe it to yourself, your family and others around you to attend. It will change your life. I know that talking with others after the course I will not be the only one making some huge lifestyle changes to accommodate this newfound passion. Straight up there is simply no other way to realistically train and assess your abilities, skills, previous training and equipment than ECQC. It doesn't hurt that it couldn’t be run by a better guy or attended by a better bunch of people. I can’t wait to start my new training regiment so I can go back to see how much I’ve grown.

Huge thanks to BOM, Tom, SamuelBLong, Ian, and others of you on the board that were there. SN, thank you for everything you do and trying your best to equip good people to deal with the shitty things that can happen in life. You’re a great credit to the community here and I am extremely thankful that you are willing to share your experience and hard learned lessons. This was hands down the best money I have ever spent.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Good write-up. I am a big advocate of ECQC training. I'm absolutely convinced that it should be on the list for anyone who carries or is otherwise serious about self defense.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

1slow
10-27-2014, 07:50 PM
ECQC is necessary. It showed me what my weaknesses were and what I need to train.

JodyH
10-27-2014, 09:25 PM
You rocked dude.
It was great meeting you in person and swapping sim rounds.

JDM
10-27-2014, 09:35 PM
ECQC is necessary.

Absolute truth.

If you carry a gun in public, there is no better or more important training than this class.

It's hard. It's exhausting. It's a LOT of work.

It's also fun, and incredibly educational.

I cannot recommend this class emphatically enough.

Mike, great to meet you, learn with you, and shoot you in the face. :D

Whenever you find yourself in Albuquerque, get a hold of me. We will shoot some guns or whatever.

JDM
10-27-2014, 09:36 PM
You rocked dude.
It was great meeting you in person and swapping sim rounds.

You owe both Mike and myself an autograph.

Mike C
10-27-2014, 09:40 PM
Thats funny man, because you didn't deserve them. It was also great to meet you and some of the other guys. I hope to catch you at another class soon. I'll be getting in touch with you tomorrow. Thanks for everything man.

Mike C
10-27-2014, 09:49 PM
BOM, I was a dumb ass and brought a knife to a gun fight I deserved to get shot in the face. I'll also take you up on getting together maybe you and some of the other dudes can help me get some more practice with the material. My memory is pretty crappy these days so I could use some reenforcement even if I end up stitched with another 6 rounds in my back like on the car evo. If you talk to Jordan before I do tell him I need a photo for my motivational wall. Just kidding. I'll also second that request, JodyH you do still owe us autographs after all we're your biggest fans.