PDA

View Full Version : Canceling all future training courses

Slavex
07-25-2011, 07:49 AM
after watching this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qTdp-Dd30&feature=player_embeddedI have decided I do not need any further training.

Tamara
07-25-2011, 08:13 AM
It always gives me the creeping willies to watch footage from before they invented Gun Safety.

Charlie Askins wrote that a couple nips of whiskey would settle his nerves nicely before a major match...

MDS
07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Nice! I'm going to change my "cold drill" from The Test to the Pelvic Thrust shown at 9:56.

JHC
07-25-2011, 08:26 AM
I didn't realize they taught the hammer/controlled pair back in the day.

ford.304
07-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Couple thoughts...

I think we have the origins of the Hollywood Weaver. I didn't realize that was taught as correct some point.

Gun Safety - wow, I know it's a cold range, but finger straight on the trigger at all times? Yikes.

I wonder how many engagements men actually had where they were lying prone at 50+ yards armed with only a pistol.

Similarly, if you have only a pistol, and you are still clearing houses full of automatic-weapon-wielding nazis... rough day.

Very interesting!

TCinVA
07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I always love seeing gun stuff from back in the days when our chests were hairier, our trousers were higher, and we started smoking cigarettes at the age of 4.

seabiscuit
07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I didn't realize they taught the hammer/controlled pair back in the day.

It seemed more like "spray and pray" to me - fire two shots to "ensure" a hit.

SecondsCount
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I always love seeing gun stuff from back in the days when our chests were hairier, our trousers were higher, and we started smoking cigarettes at the age of 4.

Too funny. Yep, those were the days.

I shoot with an older gentleman that trained with Ken Hackathorn years ago and he claims that he would hold up dinner plates for Ken to shoot them out of his hands. :eek:

jslaker
07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
It always gives me the creeping willies to watch footage from before they invented Gun Safety.

I was pretty amused that they made a big deal of performing a YouTube-esqe "show it's clear because that means we're safe" production at the 3:25 mark.

grimel
07-25-2011, 06:49 PM
One thing to remember before we get all sanctimonious, Fairbairn & Sykes used essentially the same method to train the Shanghi PD in less than 60rds per shooter to win the vast majority of their gun fights, then Applegate joined the party in WWII to expand the program from the British Commandos to the OSS. It might not be as pretty or accurate as the current state of the art, but, for enabling defensive use of a handgun in the least amount of time it worked.

Mitchell, Esq.
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
It might actually be cool to have someone put on a class using those methods and see how the students performed compared to currently taught techniques.

I don't think they would do that bad.

Chuck Haggard
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm digging the tracers. You simply can't shoot enough tracers IMHO.

grimel
07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
It might actually be cool to have someone put on a class using those methods and see how the students performed compared to currently taught techniques.

I don't think they would do that bad.

They do teach those methods. Not something to use on small precision targets or over 7-10yds.
_

Al T.
07-27-2011, 07:28 AM
State of the art, back in the day. :)

.45 ACP tracers were used in my first formal Army handgun training back in 1980. Good way for the student to see rounds impact at range and a nifty way to set the brush on fire.

Matthew Tempkin is a modern proponent of this sort of training. See post #32 for a vid.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1354-Quite-possibly-the-best-%28worst%29-firearms-video-of-all-time.&p=21707#post21707

Adam
07-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I too enjoy these old videos. It makes you wonder what The Greatest Generation would have been capable of if they had what we consider “modern” defensive firearm training. They did quite well with what they had at the time, that’s for sure.