PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing Poor Indoor Range Ventilation...

GardoneVT
10-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Coughing on cloud of your own smoke after a 12 round string of 10mm rapid fire doesnt strike me as normal. Understand , after the mag dump the cloud of smoke was thick enough to block my view of the target, and lingered over my face before drifting behind me.

Ive stopped shooting there after that and attend a new range now, but is that a sign of poor range maintenance, poor design, or is that 'normal' and im overreacting out of ignorance? Given how much more often folks here shoot compared to the 'average' ,paying attention to the facilities Id imagine is even more vital.

BLR
10-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Coughing on cloud of your own smoke after a 12 round string of 10mm rapid fire doesnt strike me as normal. Understand , after the mag dump the cloud of smoke was thick enough to block my view of the target, and lingered over my face before drifting behind me.

Ive stopped shooting there after that and attend a new range now, but is that a sign of poor range maintenance, poor design, or is that 'normal' and im overreacting out of ignorance? Given how much more often folks here shoot compared to the 'average' ,paying attention to the facilities Id imagine is even more vital.

Poor design.

Should be drifting forward, not back into your face.

I'd not shoot in a facility as you describe. It's not safe.

Corey
10-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Agreed. The indoor range I shoot at has very good and well maintained ventilation system. I was their last week when a guy took a shot with a muzzleloader and you could see the cloud of smoke get sucked downrange and out the back. Never got to appreciate the aroma of blackpowder.

JHC
10-22-2014, 06:57 AM
Before I knew about this lead in the smoke thing I had a membership in an indoor range I hit weekly (back in Texas). Every time I'd finish up I'd be congested and need to blow my nose and it was all black. So now that's my signal that the range's ventilation is not up to par. :eek::eek:

MichaelD
10-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Definitely poor design. There's a place like that here in the Salt Lake City area (or at least there used to be) that I've only shot at once, which was one time too many. Life is already too short; I don't need lead inhalation to help shorten it further, thank you.

45dotACP
10-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Part of the reason I visit my local indoor range so rarely is due to the horrible ventilation. The black boogers is a thing with that range and I figure lung cancer is not something I want to deal with in the future

Corey
10-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Definitely poor design. There's a place like that here in the Salt Lake City area (or at least there used to be) that I've only shot at once, which was one time too many. Life is already too short; I don't need lead inhalation to help shorten it further, thank you.

I think I know the place you are talking about. I shot a few bowling pin matches there years ago. They had to take short breaks for the smoke and haze to clear. But that was long enough ago that nobody thought that was a problem. If we are talking about the same place, (on Redwood Road in West Valley) they were closed but have re-opened under new management. They claim to have upgraded their ventilation system to "above industry standards" but I have not gone in to see for myself.