PDA

View Full Version : What impact does your gear have on your performance?

zml342
07-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Yesterday while practicing reloads I was struggling to get a proper index on my mag. I currently use a Fobus paddle mag pouch that I bought when I first started shooting. My question for all of you is are my struggles due to the gear that I am using or is it that I simply need to work more on my technique?

orionz06
07-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Brands aside, a proper index is important. In this instance, if the gear is not letting you do something right, get new gear.

zml342
07-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm definitely going to look into getting some new mag pouches. In the mean time I'm continuing to practice my reloads and making sure that I fully clear the garment and get that proper index.

Thanks for the advice.

VolGrad
07-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I like to dog Fobus as much as the next guy but if that's what you've been using (and are used to) I doubt it was making you miss your index. The mag was in the same place it always is, right?

I do think gear makes a difference though ... to a point. Gear doesn't make you better but quality gear can allow you to reach your potential rather than holding you back.

orionz06
07-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Some of the Fobus pouches I have seen cover too much of the mag so it likely may have been the gear.

MikeyC
07-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Up to a point there is a direct connection between better gear and better performance. There was a massive change when I started in IDPA using a Mirage beltslide holster, and when I upgraded to a Safariland. Good gear will only get you so far if you inherently suck, but if your skills are borderline cheap gear can break you down.

jetfire
07-24-2011, 04:59 PM
That's actually a complicated question. I really believe that good gear is worth what you pay for it, but with the caveat that your gear can't shoot for you. So if you're at a point where it's obvious that your gear is impeding your performance, get new gear.

Also, it depends on what you're shooting. If you're shooting USPSA or IDPA then you should definitely get the best gear; but if all you ever shoot is your carry gear, then getting different mag pouches and holsters just for range work doesn't make a lot of sense.

zml342
07-24-2011, 06:28 PM
I originally bought the Fobus gear around the same time I bought my Serpa. Obviously this was long before I knew better. I have since moved on to better holsters, but have yet to upgrade the mag pouches.

I have tried positioning the mag pouch at both the 9:30 and 8:30 positions and have some problems at both locations. 50% of the time I get a good index and a proper reload and the other 50% I completely fumble.

That's actually a complicated question. I really believe that good gear is worth what you pay for it, but with the caveat that your gear can't shoot for you. So if you're at a point where it's obvious that your gear is impeding your performance, get new gear.

Also, it depends on what you're shooting. If you're shooting USPSA or IDPA then you should definitely get the best gear; but if all you ever shoot is your carry gear, then getting different mag pouches and holsters just for range work doesn't make a lot of sense.

Caleb, while I think my shooting is improving I'm wondering (with regards to reloads) if my gear is hindering my performance some. I have never tried other mag pouches so I comment as to whether or not this is true. Most of my shooting is done at the range as an EDC set up, but I have started getting into IDPA and taking more classes.

I think I will order new mag pouches to see if that helps and continue to work reloads into my dry fire routine to ensure that I can get a proper index every time.

rsa-otc
07-24-2011, 08:40 PM
I agree, quality gear can make a big difference. BUT, what has not been discussed is what about your current gear is preventing you from achieving your index. Magdalene too closely spaced, held to close to the body, or to far away? How does this particular piece of quality gear address that particular problem? With out answering those questions, you may spend a bunch of money only to face the same problems.

Maybe work with a instructor /coach who could tell you how your index is falling apart and suggest a piece of quality gear that would address those issues. This maybe cheaper & less frustrating in the long run.

rsa-otc
07-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I agree, quality gear can make a big difference. BUT, what has not been discussed is what about your current gear is preventing you from achieving your index. Magdalene too closely spaced, held to close to the body, or to far away? How does this particular piece of quality gear address that particular problem? With out answering those questions, you may spend a bunch of money only to face the same problems.

Maybe work with a instructor /coach who could tell you how your index is falling apart and suggest a piece of quality gear that would address those issues. This maybe cheaper & less frustrating in the long run.

I ment mags not Magdalene. Phone changed word and now I can't edit the post.

orionz06
07-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I guess the one thing that is missing is how you are fumbling. Are you not getting a good grip on the mag, is the pouch moving, is the pouch sticking, or what?

ToddG
07-24-2011, 10:25 PM
If you're fumbling 50% of your reloads you are going too fast regardless of whether your gear is optimal or crappy. A bad mag pouch might slow your draw but it's hard to imagine it causing a fumble if you're doing your part right. Don't draw the mag from the pouch until you've got a solid proper grip on the tube. Once the mag leaves the pouch, it's all on you...

ranburr
07-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Get the best quality gear that you can afford. You can get mag pouches from somebody like Comp-Tac for less than $30 bucks. With all that said, it really is the singer and not the song.

Odin Bravo One
07-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I gotta agree with Todd. If you are fumbling your mag changes that often, it's you. Not the gear. Slow down.

Mag pouches, holsters etc come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and quality. There is no "best". Some work better than others for different things. Identify what you need a piece of gear to do, then go looking for the one that best meets the need. We see a lot people out buying a piece of gear, then justifying the need for it after the purchase.

I have some Fobus holsters and mag pouches and my only real complaint is that the magazines and pistol are not held secure enough. Any hard running and gunning will result in a yard sale over the course of fire and leave me without pistol and/or mags when the time comes I need them. Certainly not my first choice in brand, but it is functional enough for what I use that particular holster and mag pouch for.

Unless the gear in question fails to perform it's task, or is inherently unsafe, any problems that arise are usually a training issue on our side of the equation. Good gear helps, but generally is not a deal breaker.

zml342
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I guess the one thing that is missing is how you are fumbling. Are you not getting a good grip on the mag, is the pouch moving, is the pouch sticking, or what?

It is very possible that, as Todd mentioned, I am going too fast. I have this tendency a lot and constantly need to remind myself to slow down. With this mag pouch, however, I find that I'm not getting that solid grip on the mag itself. After I clear my garment I get a handful of the mag pouch, but never a solid grip on the mag itself. I can't tell if this is because the pouch has the mag sitting too close to my body or if not enough of the mag is exposed.

Todd/Sean, I will definintely hede your advice and slow down and practice more. I'm sure it is simply me that is causing the errors and not (entirely) the gear.

Thanks again for all the advice!

ToddG
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
The mag pouch may very well be inhibiting your ability to get a solid grip. Nonetheless, if you're drawing the mag before you establish that solid grip -- no matter how long that takes -- then the fumble is operator error.

Odin Bravo One
07-25-2011, 02:08 PM
A thought...........and just a thought.........Grab a video camera and set it up so you get a nice clean, unobstructed view of your actions when moving to the mag pouch. This way you will be able to see for yourself exactly what is going on, and when, etc. Self-teaching/diagnostics is one of the best tools we have. Also, try working the actions on w/o your cover garment. Do you have the same problems? Does the problem go away? Get worse? Whenever we run into an issue that is more complex than throw the ball, catch the ball, it helps to remove other factors, and through the process of elimination, we identify the root of the issue and take corrective measures from there. So in this case, we are talking about magazine changes. Get rid of everything that does not have to do with magazine changes. Execute the mag change. If it is flawless (or at least acceptable), then we go back to doing it with a cover garment and repeat the process, trying to identify the root of the issue, not just the symptoms/outcome. If the mag change is not acceptable without the cover garment, we examine the why. Too fast? Not enough magazine exposed in that particular pouch to get a good grip? Etc. Whatever the issues are, we generally like to look for a hardware solution to a software problem. Software problems are most often, and best solved with software soultions. Look at re-programming the machine first. If that doesn't work, or does not produce optimal results, we can double team with a hardware and software upgrade simultaneously.

Keep at it, and don't worry about the speed. It will come. Master the technique, and the speed will show up.

zml342
07-26-2011, 05:21 AM
So the craziest thing happened yesterday while dry practicing...I slowed down and was able to perform reloads. I started off by removing the cover garment and just getting a feel for hand placement and it helped. A lot! Any time that I had any sort of fumble I would stop, restart and do 5 more reps in slow motion. I still have a lot of work to do (determning the best position/height for my hand to index the mag, properly aligning the mag well, etc) and in time I know my motions will become more fluid.

Sean, I also like your advice on video taping what I am doing. I actually got that same advice from some one else at an IDPA match last night. I'm still not sure how much I like these mag pouches, but that may also be due to the fact that I have never tried any thing else. But for the time being they suit thier purpose.

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. I will continue to slow it down and work on my technique.:cool: