PDA

View Full Version : Why Tanfoglio is not Popular in the US?

GardoneVT
10-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Perhaps theyre the worst brand of pistol ever made, but my sample of one keeps chugging along nicely. Further, the current IPSC world champion uses them , which would seem to reinforce the notion that Tanfoglio produces competent product.

Thus, I wonder why it is the Flat Earth Society has more fans then these guns stateside. Overseas they seem to be very popular.Is the US importer that awful?

45dotACP
10-11-2014, 07:52 PM
From what I hear, the U.S. importer really is that awful. Supposedly, their 10mm models have some durability issues, but some of the best USPSA and IPSC shooters use them. Granted, that doesn't mean they are good to operate in operations or whatever serious shooters in the US do with their guns, but I'd love to try out their Elite Match or Stock II's...

I don't go there much anymore, but Enos is a good place to look...or Doodie, if you can extract the three useful posts before the middle school humor kicks in.

raks
10-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I can't comment on the US situation, but they are very popular in Canada too. They shoot great but the .40s can wear out fast, I've seen quite a few crack slides & frames. They are a bit expensive, maybe that's part of the problem?

jetfire
10-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Their USA importer is really that bad. Plus they have some QC issues.

GardoneVT
10-11-2014, 08:17 PM
I can't comment on the US situation, but they are very popular in Canada too. They shoot great but the .40s can wear out fast, I've seen quite a few crack slides & frames. They are a bit expensive, maybe that's part of the problem?

Tanfoglios are priced very agressively here in the US. I ordered my example for $650, which being a Match 10mm is a fabulous bargain given its overall build quality. It would seem price is not a problem.

raks
10-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Nice, the Stock II is $1800 CDN which is pricy here for a production division pistol. I think the open guns go for $4200.

GardoneVT
10-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Nice, the Stock II is $1800 CDN which is pricy here for a production division pistol. I think the open guns go for $4200.

Therein lies the question. While Tanfoglio isn't above making lemons, neither is Glock or HK. Clearly their reputation overseas has to be based on making quality product, or they wouldn't be charging 4 figure price tags and have a significant sport shooting presence.

Hence why I'm bemused at the brand being so poorly received here. Perhaps I should not complain, given that's helped keep the prices down on a quality product.

Slavex
10-12-2014, 12:45 AM
And despite lobbying by a lot of people for many many years, they still don't have flush safeties for their Production Division guns, lame. Beyond that and the crap trigger, I like my Stock II

JTQ
10-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Their US importer EAA has a terrible reputation. Think Taurus only worse.

Since you mention you have a 10mm, they had quite a problem a few years back cracking frames on their 10mm models.

While somewhat of a CZ copy, they are an intermediate size. Bigger than the CZ75 and smaller than the CZ97 (good thing as the CZ97 is a whopper) and mags don't swap between the families.

YVK
10-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Their carry size guns have no representation or reputation here, and that segment of a market is tough to penetrate.

They could ride the wave of success behind Grauffel, Stoeger, Racazza and bunch of other Prod shooters despite the fact that this is 1K gun that's needs rework right out of box, but the EAA is incapable of delivering a product in demand.

Trooper224
10-12-2014, 04:17 PM
The 10mm pistols suffered from being under sprung for the round and Tanfoglio redesigned the slide and introduced a few stress risers in the process. An older Witness line pistol in 10mm with the old style slide, and with a good recoil spring installed, is usually good to go. It's been my experience that Tanfoglio pistols are of commensurate quality with many of the midrange offerings available. Good for range toys but I'd be hesitant to trust the integrity of my meat sack to one. I've seen several I'd like to pick up as fun guns. However, the one thing that's always kept me from it is the US distributor: European American Armory (EAA). They practice what is undoubtedly the worst customer service on the face of the planet. For these reasons, when I felt the need to purchase a CZ pattern pistol I went with the original.

GardoneVT
10-12-2014, 08:53 PM
The 10mm pistols suffered from being under sprung for the round and Tanfoglio redesigned the slide and introduced a few stress risers in the process. An older Witness line pistol in 10mm with the old style slide, and with a good recoil spring installed, is usually good to go. It's been my experience that Tanfoglio pistols are of commensurate quality with many of the midrange offerings available. Good for range toys but I'd be hesitant to trust the integrity of my meat sack to one. I've seen several I'd like to pick up as fun guns. However, the one thing that's always kept me from it is the US distributor: European American Armory (EAA). They practice what is undoubtedly the worst customer service on the face of the planet. For these reasons, when I felt the need to purchase a CZ pattern pistol I went with the original.

I suppose the next question to pose for our non-US members is how reliable Tanfoglios are overseas? My sample of uno is chugging along nicely , but data here about these weapons is too anecdotal for reliable conclusions to be drawn.

PPGMD
10-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Another difference is USPSA Production rules vs IPSC production rules. IPSC Production rules have given rise to the "catalog" custom quality guns like the Tangfoglio Stock, and the CZ Shadow series.

A high level overview of the IPSC vs USPSA Production rules:
IPSC Production - Gun must be completely stock, very limited modifications allowed outside the grips and sights.

USPSA Production - With exception of the grip, refinishing, barrel, and sight dove tails, gun simply has to appear to be stock externally. You can replace every single internal only part and still be legal.

Thus why go with a not well supported Tangfoglio when you can get a well supported CZ (between factory, and aftermarket) that is almost exactly the same in performance for USPSA Production (since the Tangfoglio is based on the CZ-75)?

rbmcmjr
10-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Bigger than the CZ75 and smaller than the CZ97 (good thing as the CZ97 is a whopper) and mags don't swap between the families.

The latter is not entirely true. Mags for the Tanfoglio .45s fit the CZ-97 just fine, and vice versa. Except for the markings, they are identical.

Slavex
10-13-2014, 03:34 AM
Mags for the small frame Tanfo 9mm pistols fit the CZ75 line just fine, unless you flip the mag catch over for a lefty, then you're hooped.

JTQ
10-13-2014, 07:56 AM
The latter is not entirely true. Mags for the Tanfoglio .45s fit the CZ-97 just fine, and vice versa. Except for the markings, they are identical.

Mags for the small frame Tanfo 9mm pistols fit the CZ75 line just fine, unless you flip the mag catch over for a lefty, then you're hooped.
Whoa, apparently I'm wrong on both counts. Sorry about the bad information.

Gary1911A1
10-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Good pistol overall, but terrible importer. Henning makes great parts to make the pistols better.