PDA

View Full Version : "Must Have" Apps?

Jay Cunningham
02-27-2011, 07:40 AM
What are some of the "must have" apps that pistol-forum.com regulars should be aware of? The Tapatalk thing is fantastic and already on my iPhone - what else?

LittleLebowski
02-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Instapaper. It's the best way to archive an article for reading later, anywhere - at home on your computer, your iPhone, IPad, work computer's browser, you name it.

You sign up for a free account and add the "Read it later" bookmark to all of your browsers. Then when you're skimming an article you want to really read later, just click the "Read it later" bookmark and the article sans ads and other BS is archived to your Instapaper account and you can read it using the app or going to your online account. Sharing with friends via email is also there's and I use that daily.

JDM
02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
At Bat 2011 is invaluable for baseball fans.

Clinometer is another really useful thing once it's calibrated, for all the home improvement guys out there. I can't remember the last time I got my level out of the garage.

Pandora radio. If you enjoy music this is a must. Free too.

LittleLebowski
02-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Pandora is worth the subscription. Awesome app.

derekb
02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I -much- prefer slacker for my mobile radio needs.

Frank D.
02-27-2011, 12:05 PM
+1 to Slacker radio.

Also, Angry Birds :D

EricP
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Yelp

It will find anything anywhere. Pretty much everything will have reviews of it. Once you have found what you're looking for, press map, and Google Maps pops up and will direct you there.

BooRadley
03-01-2011, 02:56 AM
+1 to Angry Birds. Also, Shazam. Hold it up to the radio and it tells you what the song title and artist is.

Jay Cunningham
03-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Great stuff - a guy at work was just talking about Pandora.

What else?

orionz06
03-01-2011, 07:45 AM
iheartradio is a really good one, it has most of the radio stations around here. Angry Birds is damned addicting. Best Camera and Camera+ are two I will use here and there, along with Photobucket and Flickr. I have pretty much dedicated my photobucket account to an iPhone photo dump for forum posting. The Wikipedia app is really nice as well. IMDB and Netflix are must have movie apps. IMDB is far more useful than the regular web version. For Fios people, the Fios app for iPhone is amazing. Full control of your DVR and a live program guide wherever you go.

VolGrad
03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Random crap on my iPhone4;
MapQuest
WhitePages > great way to look up addy & phones
Pandora
The Weather Channel
FaceBook
YouTube
BB&T Online Banking
Emergency Radio
5-0 Radio
IMdB
PhotoBucket
PayPal
DirecTV
Fandango
College Football
FML (F*** My Life > hilarious) > great way to blow a few minutes while waiting for kid's gymnastics class to be over
RedLaser
Compass
SureFire Shot Timer
Papa John's
Instagram
picplz

LittleLebowski
03-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Mapquest. Turn by turn voice navigation for free.

Frank D.
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
There are a bunch of ebook apps that work out pretty well, like Bookman, which will read PDFs and the like. Reading on an iPhone isn't ideal, but works in a pinch if you need to make a 'pitstop'.;)

Is it weird that most of my apps are centered around the aforementioned 'pitstops'?

Beamish
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Or just buy Android and use Maps. :p

InstaFetch (https://market.android.com/details?id=pl.immortal.instafetch&feature=order_history) is the Android app for using Instapaper and I am coming around to it after much praise from Lebowski for the Instapaper service.

ShawnL turned me on to Smart Tools (https://market.android.com/details?id=kr.aboy.tools&feature=order_history) a super handy app for measuring distance and angles.

Lastly - Dropbox (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dropbox.android&feature=order_history) for easily moving files between devices.
On the fun side there is Stupid Zombies (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gameresort.stupidzombies&feature=order_history) for a combo Angry Birds/Pool experience.

JMorse
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Plants vs. Zombies is a great game.

Mike Honcho
03-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Surefire shot timer, free and works well for those of us too cheap/lazy to buy a shot timer.

Amateur Surgeon, favorite iphone game of all time. I think there's a sequel out now, but I'm not sure. Spades, Flick Fishing, Meowcenaries.

Round Timer and Tabata Timer for getting my PT on. Offsite WOD has some decent CrossFit-style workouts that don't use equipment.

USAA's app is the shit if you use them. You can transfer money to/from accounts, deposit checks by taking pictures of them, get proof of insurance, there's an accident checklist, literally too many features to list.

Coin Flip for solving arguments, Kindle is a great time-killer (syncs with your Kindle so you don't lose your place). Netflix, SiriusXM if you have a subscription. Sirius is the only thing that works here in South Korea. Netflix, Pandora, Slacker don't work.

Soldier Systems, ITS Tactical are decent, I wish the full articles would come up though. USA Forces if you're military, has UCMJ articles, base info, ranks, MRE menus, etc. USAF PT Test app, lets you plug in your pushups, situps, run and waist numbers to see your score.

I use Call911 pinned to the bottom task bar. Click it once, there's a 10-second countdown (to cancel it in case you hit it accidentally) and it calls 911. I shot an IDPA stage where they required you to pull out your phone and dial 911 while keeping your gun on the targets downrange. I figure sliding the bar to unlock the phone, finding the Call button, bringing up the keypad, and then dialing 911 could be streamlined a bit.

Shellback
03-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Words with Friends - Free, fun Scrabble like game and you compete against your friends no matter where they're at.

glockspeed31
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Music Box Pro - allows you to download almost any music file out there and it's free.

Frank D.
03-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Surefire shot timer, free and works well for those of us too cheap/lazy to buy a shot timer.

You, sir, may have just saved me from buying another timer (mine is stateside), assuming it works ok at the range.

glockspeed31
03-09-2011, 07:00 AM
You, sir, may have just saved me from buying another timer (mine is stateside), assuming it works ok at the range.

Be careful when using your phone as a shot timer. Most of the phone microphones can not handle the sound report. There was some talk of this over on the Enos forums.

MTechnik
03-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Be careful when using your phone as a shot timer. Most of the phone microphones can not handle the sound report. There was some talk of this over on the Enos forums.

Oddly enough, a lot of people are finding the mics are good enough for dry fire clicks. So, even if it doesn't work on the range, don't delete it yet, it may still be useful

orionz06
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM

Just got it, works great.

Frank D.
03-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Yeah, I am worried about this, but my iPhone is 3 years old now, so I figure if adjusting the sensitivity doesn't work and my mic gets damaged, I'll cave and throw it out.

Oddly enough, a lot of people are finding the mics are good enough for dry fire clicks. So, even if it doesn't work on the range, don't delete it yet, it may still be useful

My mic will pick up clicks if someone holds it up near where the gun is (within roughly a foot), so yeah, it could still be useful as long as I don't blow it up :D.

orionz06
03-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Netflix... Finally got a chance to mess with it tonight. The video quality is awesome and the selection is pretty good. Currently watching The Big Lebowski.

dookie1481
03-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Netflix... Finally got a chance to mess with it tonight. The video quality is awesome and the selection is pretty good. Currently watching The Big Lebowski.

Careful, Little Lebowski might get jealous :p

I was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality with the Netflix app.

Jay

dravz
03-24-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't download many apps because I'm very picky. That said, these are the ones I've kept:

PS Express (Photoshop Express) - for easy pic fixes on the fly
DirecTV - if you have this service you can record to DVR from the iPhone
Skype - free talk
Netflix - haven't used it yet though
Dropbox - lets you transfer files from cpu to iPhone through The Cloud
Diabetes Buddy - for tracking carbs, I do not have diabetes
Mint.com - for monitoring any bank accounts, has separate PIN to keep it secret
Pandora - radio
PayPal - if you have an account or do online buying/selling, very helpful
eBay - if you eBay at all this app is faster than using your computer, very nice
ShotTimer - described above, great for all my dryfire drills
Google - if you use gmail this is a godsend as the default Mail app sucks for gmail
Redlaser - scan a barcode to see where it is cheapest near you
Amazon - makes using amazon a breeze, also has barcode scanner to compare prices amazon vs wherever you are
Urbanspoon - way better than Yelp, shows restaurants near you with randomizer
Dictionary - you always need one
Wikipanion - if you like to look up things on wikipedia to settle arguments, this works great
Convert - for converting measurements
W&Y Pages - phone book for the iPhone