PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Pistol and Patrol Rifle Instructor Clinic, DTI/John Farnam, Sturgis SD, 07/2014

ST911
10-10-2014, 10:14 AM
“Pistol and Patrol Rifle Instructor Clinic”
John and Vicki Farnam / Defense Training International (http://defense-training.com/dti/)

@ Corbon Shooting Complex, Sturgis SD, July 26-27. 2014
http://www.corbon.com/shooting-complex-2/general/corbon-shooting-complex

On July 26-27 I traveled to Sturgis, SD to attend a “Pistol and Patrol Rifle Instructor Clinic” from John and Vicki Farnam of DTI. The course was a hybrid, offering an overview of DTI’s handgun and rifle methods and a tune up in those systems. Class was held at the Corbon range and was limited to LE personnel.

One of the benefits of a Farnam class is that the curriculum is thoroughly documented in his published books and periodic quips. Even with youtube and social media, very few instructors have such a comprehensive compilation of their work for students to utilize with a class. Currently available:

The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning
The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting
Guns & Warriors: DTI Quips Vol 1
Teaching Women to Shoot – A Law Enforcement Instructor’s Guide
Women Learning to Shoot – A Guide for Law Enforcement Officers

Similarly, DTI has a well-developed website that publishes comprehensive course descriptions, packing lists, and scheduling. The prospective student has a lot of information with which to make decisions about training.

TD1

Class was held from about 0900-1700 at Corbon. The complex is equipped with modern outdoor ranges, a pro shop, and indoor classroom. There were about twelve students, who were mostly officers in the area or previous Farnam students. Several attended as part of their preparation for the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally to be held the next week. With two instructors the student-instructor ratio was 6:1.

Student introductions drove the morning classroom session. Each student introduced themselves with information about their equipment and background. John used that information to discuss his observations and experiences in training, equipment, the industry and to make additional commentary. He candidly discussed trends in the performance and quality of gear, but noted that “my favorite gun is whatever you've got”, noting that undermining student confidence in their gear is counterproductive. He added that every piece of student gear that fails is an opportunity to learn and find something better.

Expectations of students were clearly explained. As this was an integrated handgun and rifle course, students were expected to keep both in a fighting condition and on their person at all times. Safety instructions emphasized muzzle consciousness and trigger finger discipline as primary rules. Rifles were to be kept on safe until engagement, then off until resolution of the problem. The range would be hot at all times. John also explained that instructions for certain activities would be intentionally vague at times to force students to problem solve. Students would be expected to address problems as they found and interpreted them. John’s instructional design (to paraphrase) was not to prepare for the world that you live in, but the world that you’ll find yourself in at the point of conflict. That may be a brief violent encounter, or long periods of social disorder.

Range exercises

Range exercises were practical and varied. Students moved through a series of drills that built the framework of DTI methodology. Most drills were conducted dry, then live. Many involved peer partners who provided verbal interaction during the drill or in feedback afterward. Distances ranged from 5-25yds. Targets used were both fixed paper silhouettes, and the DTI rotator and rifle steel found here: http://ravelingroup.com/moreproducts/ar500targets.html. Throughout, John emphasized that the end of the fight is determined by the attacker, not any other rule or quantity of ammunition. Quantity of rounds fired varied by drill and by student.

Selected instructional points

Presentation, reloading, and manipulation of the handgun or rifle is done while in motion, with shooting done in a stable platform for accuracy. A 360-degree scan follows threat responses. A verbal challenge should be provided when possible.

John advocated firing ~4rd volleys with handguns, and ~2rd volleys with the rifle and then evaluating effectiveness. The difference is due to comparative wounding potential inherent in each system.

Use of the zipper technique, shooting to the navel and then climbing higher with successive rounds, keeps the front sight from being too high too early obscuring the attacker’s hands, and works with the guns recoil impulse.

John advocates a high thumbs grip and weaver-esque bladed stance.

Port-arms carry of the rifle is not recommend for muzzle discipline and reduced ability to defend a gun grab. Similarly, handguns are manipulated close to the body at or below chest level to make them less accessible to a gun grab.

Handgun slides and rifle bolts are run with each reload or stoppage clearance regardless of type to ensure a chambered round. The use of the slide stop/release for handguns and the bolt lock lever on ARs is not recommended due to potential to miss it during a stressful encounter. These methods are considered universal and enable a shooter to use whatever weapon system is in the hand. Levers or buttons on guns will be system specific and should not be relied upon.

TD1 concluded with some motivational and reflective prose from John.

TD2

Range agreements with surrounding properties didn’t allow live fire until after lunch on Sunday, so training began in the classroom. Students were led through a discussion of the particulars of the AR system, John’s observations and experiences, and a cleaning and inspection session. Items of note include:

Stoppage reduction should take non-diagnostic approach, and a BUG should always be available. With a handgun, a tap-rack-ready will work for ~80% of issues of stoppages, and ~50% with the rifle.

John recommends use of the D-fender extractor o-ring, CAT M4 cleaning tool (http://catm4.com/), and Slip products. Sample packs of Slip were provided to students.

The AR15 extractor spring is a weak point, can be found broken, and has a ~1500rd service life.

Range exercises

Range exercises began with some close dry work to get students warmed up, along with another zero check at 25yds. Following, students worked through a series of drills involving movement to and around each other. There were also a series of one- and two- officer drills from a stationary vehicle, engaging targets to the front and side at various ranges. Exercises integrated both the handgun and rifle. Following vehicle exercises, students completed pick-up drills shooting each other’s guns for familiarization.

Range exercises concluded with administration of a qualification test for the handgun and rifle. Each test required students to move, scan, manipulate the gun in motion, fire a limited number of rounds per fixed position, observe instructed safety rules, and fire with accuracy. While not excessively difficult, the combined variables challenged students and many required a second or third run on each.

Class concluded with a closing debrief, motivational prose, and range cleanup.

Observations and Discussion

Class consisted of rank and file cops of different skill levels. All had the requisite ability to perform class tasks and accepted instruction for improvement.

Student gear was a potpourri. There were minor stoppages due to ammo choices, lack of lube, or failures to pay attention, but no critical failures. Several students had opportunity to learn from odd choices in configuration. It was clear that some had not slung their rifles for longer periods of time, or at all. I ran my typical EDC gear without issue, a gen4 Glock 17 and Colt AR6720 with Aimpoint T1. There were no stoppages or issues. My round counts were 208 for handgun, and 205 for rifle.

Range facilities and equipment were suitable for each class activity. Pre-course information and packing lists from the DTI website and class organizer were complete. This class emphasized basic, core DTI skill sets in the patrol context. Content was also applicable to off-duty, CCW, and private citizens as well. Accordingly, ammunition and gear requirements were very modest.

John and Vicki demonstrated a genuine interest in students and commitment to their methods. They were friendly, patient, and accessible throughout class. Class was structured logically with decent time management. John was occasionally coarse in humor and commentary, and some may find it offensive.

Several particular DTI methods were new to those who had not attended a Farnam course or read John and Vicki's work. There were weaver shooters who made minor adjustments. Some newer officers had learned the thumbs-forward/reactive-shooting grip in academy training or other coursework. Students used assorted reloading and stoppage clearance mechanics and particulars. Some had distinct preferences, others did as they had been taught or found on their own. In each example, John and Vicki explained their rationale and encouraged students to try the DTI method, but didn’t require any changes. Students could take or leave the material as they chose.

I tried the instructed methods at various points. Most notably, I found the high thumbs grip gave me less control of the gun with a measurable reduction in accuracy at quicker paces, especially on the rotator. There was less difference in slower, more deliberate shooting. Running the slide and charging handle for reloads offered an extra layer of insurance against certain handling or functional bobbles, but wasn’t necessary nor an efficient use of time and motion for me. While I am an advocate of scanning, moving, and challenging, I prefer to do so as conditions indicate rather than doing it by rote. I won't be using or advocating the zipper technique.

Though some will certainly disagree with various DTI methods, they were often integrated with other topics upon which there is more common agreement. These include advocacy of the 9mm, avoiding dependency on the rifle at the expense of handgun skills, the merits of red dot sight systems, back-up guns, use of movement, and keeping rifles available.

One thing I appreciate most about John and Vicki’s work is their emphasis on mindset, conflict avoidance, the gray lifestyle, and need for constant vigilance and preparation. Those topics were a common thread throughout the class. When I direct others to John’s books and quips it is most often for those topics.

My major take-aways from this class include some great drill sets that are usable now or readily adaptable. I was also able to formally revisit techniques that I no longer use, relearn why, and test and validate current technique. I was also able to spend time with two pioneers of traveling open-enrollment training that brings fighting skills to armed citizens. Many of those early trainers will be retiring in the coming years, and I think it's prudent and a privilege to experience their work in person. Even where there are differences with their curriculum, learning still occurs.

Summary

This course was educational, met the advertised objectives, and I’m glad that I attended.

This course will substantially exceed the quality and curriculum of numerous other CCW courses and trainers. If this was the only training a gun owner ever took, they would possess a highly useful skill set that puts them well ahead of peers taking those other courses or remaining untrained.

Potential students that have need for system specific training, or the most progressive techniques in competitive or combative shooting, will want to conduct additional reviews of training reports and DTI reference material to see if DTI courses will meet their needs.