PDA

View Full Version : safariland holsters

butler coach
10-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Ok I know when to admit that I am overwhelmed. I just completed my Pennsylvania ACT 235 training to be armed security guard. I will be working part time with a small company. I have to purchase a level 3 security holster. Here are my questions and any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be carrying a glock 19 with a surefire x300U light on it.
1) What is the difference and what do you recommend between the safariland 6360 and the 7360. I can see the design differences just not sure which is “better”.
2) Standard height or 1 ˝ drop? I will be using this on a duty belt?
3) on the safariland site they say that they do not have the 7360 for my gun but on lapolicegear it is listed for sale. Does anyone known which is correct.
I am sorry if these should like stupid questions it’s all new to me and way overwhelmed at this point.

David Armstrong
10-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Everyone has opinions, but when it is all boiled down it is a matter of preference. They are different, but one is not better than the other. It boils down to which differences you like. I prefer a higher riding holster so the 1.5" drop probably wouldn't be my choice, but another user might prefer it. Can you try out the two holsters a bit by borrowing gear from from other officers in the company?

butler coach
10-10-2014, 11:05 AM
That is probably the thing I will do. I will just have to get to know them better I don't think they want to lend things to the new guy. And i am part time and am just doing fill in work as of now. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Armstrong
10-10-2014, 11:48 AM
You don't really need a full "hey, loan me that holster for a while" to get a feel for things. In about 5 minutes you can see how the holster feels when you sit, when you are standing, whether it gets in the way when you are moving around, if it works with the way you prefer to wear your clothing, etc. Good luck!

czech6
10-10-2014, 11:59 AM
I would not do 1.5" drop, unless I was regularly some sort of vest that made the regular holster unpractical. It's hard to index your elbow over the grip, which makes it hard to keep your pistol "outta sight and outta mind", with the 1.5" drop it's really hanging out there for the entire world to see. In a gun grab that extra 1.5" below your center of gravity is that much harder to defend against. If your sitting a lot, the bottom of the holster can hit the chair/seat, push up on your hip and cause all sorts of funky back pain/discomfort.

Between the two models of holsters I'd buy whichever is in stock, most of the online places don't stock many holsters and delivery can range from a couple weeks to a couple months.

taadski
10-10-2014, 12:51 PM
The new 7TS models are getting some good reviews. The only reason I haven't purchased one to mess with yet is that I'm mandated to use basket weave :cool: (:roll eyes: ) and that's not an option with the new shell design. Yet anyway. Reports are that these come with mounting holes for both a regular mid-ride height and the 1.5" drop, FWIW, so you don't have to choose one or the other. Even with the standard duty Safarilands (I use a 6360), the switch only requires a new UBL hanger which is like a $10 proposition.

There's a thread over on LF that has some good info and impressions. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/new-safariland-holster

t

LSP972
10-10-2014, 01:26 PM
... I'm mandated to use basket weave ...

To go with your 1873 Colt SSA revolvers, right?:D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself…

czech6
10-10-2014, 01:59 PM
The new 7TS models are getting some good reviews. The only reason I haven't purchased one to mess with yet is that I'm mandated to use basket weave :cool: (:roll eyes: ) and that's not an option with the new shell design. Yet anyway. Reports are that these come with mounting holes for both a regular mid-ride height and the 1.5" drop, FWIW, so you don't have to choose one or the other. Even with the standard duty Safarilands (I use a 6360), the switch only requires a new UBL hanger which is like a $10 proposition.

There's a thread over on LF that has some good info and impressions. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/new-safariland-holster

t

I have one, it uses the regular 3 hole Safariland UBL mounting system, any of the UBL mounts will work with it. It looks like it has a couple degrees of cant in it, which should solve the front sight eating the ALS lock that happens on some of the 6360's. I can't use it on duty either because it has a "futuristic" look that is not "uniform".

KevH
10-10-2014, 05:48 PM
If you're forced to have a Level III the 6360 is an excellent choice. My dept has issued them since they first came out.

That said my personal preference is a 6280 which is considered Level II.

For any of the Glock models the 6360 rides plenty low at its standard ride height. Any lower and you'll have trouble sitting in a car. The drop is needed on a 6280 for a 1911 or Beretta where they have the thing riding so dang high and at about a 10 degree cant that it's up in your armpit.

taadski
10-10-2014, 08:51 PM
To go with your 1873 Colt SSA revolvers, right?:D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself…

Nope. Not quite THAT old skool. Model 15. ;-)

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsf2e1dc34.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsf2e1dc34.jpg.html)

Just kidding. But, yeah, I don't think our uni standards are gonna be changing any time soon. ;-)

t

taadski
10-10-2014, 09:04 PM
czech6,

I pilfered this from the thread I linked above but you can see the multiple 3 hole options I was referring to below.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsf0c22ff9.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/taadski/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zpsf0c22ff9.jpg.html)

Kev,

Would you be willing to share reasons behind your preference for the SLS alone vs the ALS/SLS models? I know lots of folks prefer the ALS only but I've always felt the retention with both devices was quite a bit better.

TIA,

t

Chuck Haggard
10-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Holster Ops says they make a 7360 for your gun/light combo

http://www.holsterops.com/7ts-model-7360

The 7360 and 6360 are pretty much the same holster for all intents and purposes, with the differences being materials of construction and appearance. Either would work well.

I'm carrying the 6360 at work, as is most of my agency. IMHO it's the most secure, fastest, best designed duty holster ever built.

I was carrying the drop shank on my holster, which would be the 6365 in the catalog IIRC, but after a change in cars at work I found the holster getting jammed up into my hip due to the lower ride holster being forced into the driver seat. Over some time that led to some wicked sciatic issues for me. Since going to the higher ride holster (I actually just switched shanks since the parts are modular) I haven't noted any differences in draw times when I broke out the timer and put it to the test.

Recommend that you pick one of those two in the xx60 model, if you want the lower drop then you can buy the lower ride shank for cheap and swap the parts out later.

The 73xx/7TS models do have the advantage of being able to buff out scratches on the holster with a scrub pad so that you don't look like Joe Shit the Rag Man years down the road or have to buy a new holster because it got ugly.

KeeFus
10-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm carrying the 6360 at work, as is most of my agency. IMHO it's the most secure, fastest, best designed duty holster ever built.

^^^This. The 6360 is the fastest level III holster I have ever used. I did remove the hood guard though as it likes to try to tear my thumb nail off. I like the images I have seen of the 73xx I have seen but haven't handled one yet. As Chuck noted, the 73xx aren't the prettiest but neither is my 6360 after 4 years of patrol use.

KevH
10-12-2014, 04:32 AM
czech6,

Kev,

Would you be willing to share reasons behind your preference for the SLS alone vs the ALS/SLS models? I know lots of folks prefer the ALS only but I've always felt the retention with both devices was quite a bit better.

TIA,

t

It's just a preference thing. My career started with the old 070 (SSIII) which I still think is a decent holster. I then went to the Raptor Level II and eventually the 6280 (SLS). I carried the 6360 (ALS) for awhile and while a good holster, I'm faster with the 6280 and it just suits my needs. I also like where and how it rides on my belt and the overall way they're constructed.

I'm a 1911 guy and find with the ALS and the thumb safety there is too much going on. It's slow for that particular gun. I've used the 6360 and don't find anything wrong with it if you're using a Glock or other gun where there is no safety to manipulate.

taadski
10-12-2014, 09:47 PM
It's just a preference thing. My career started with the old 070 (SSIII) which I still think is a decent holster. I then went to the Raptor Level II and eventually the 6280 (SLS). I carried the 6360 (ALS) for awhile and while a good holster, I'm faster with the 6280 and it just suits my needs. I also like where and how it rides on my belt and the overall way they're constructed.

I'm a 1911 guy and find with the ALS and the thumb safety there is too much going on. It's slow for that particular gun. I've used the 6360 and don't find anything wrong with it if you're using a Glock or other gun where there is no safety to manipulate.

Good copy, Sir. Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

I still have the rare hiccup at speed with the 6360. I'd guess I'd say I'm a skosh less consistent with it than with the 6280s but I appreciate the additional security.

Anyway, thanks again. And sorry for the derail butler coach.

t

butler coach
10-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Good copy, Sir. Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

I still have the rare hiccup at speed with the 6360. I'd guess I'd say I'm a skosh less consistent with it than with the 6280s but I appreciate the additional security.

Anyway, thanks again. And sorry for the derail butler coach.

t
No worries here. i just ordered a 7360 to save some money. thanks for everyone for the information. i am sure i will be starting new threads because i have lots of questions.

Chuck Whitlock
10-13-2014, 11:01 AM
The 73xx/7TS models do have the advantage of being able to buff out scratches on the holster with a scrub pad so that you don't look like Joe Shit the Rag Man years down the road or have to buy a new holster because it got ugly.

The 6360 is available in STX TAC and STX basket weave, in which the pattern is impressed directly into the plastic. It is cheaper, and far more resilient than the fake dead cow outer layer of the laminated version.

Chuck Haggard
10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
The 6360 is available in STX TAC and STX basket weave, in which the pattern is impressed directly into the plastic. It is cheaper, and far more resilient than the fake dead cow outer layer of the laminated version.

We issue the "Tac" finish, it still scratches up and looks like ass after a few years, or your first ground fight, whichever comes first.

Chuck Whitlock
10-13-2014, 06:51 PM
We issue the "Tac" finish, it still scratches up and looks like ass after a few years, or your first ground fight, whichever comes first.

Copy.

WOLFIE
10-14-2014, 09:07 PM

I know exactly what you mean except I had a SLS only with the STX finish. Can someone tell me this. Does the ALS rub the finish down on the slide?

KeeFus
10-15-2014, 03:46 AM
I know exactly what you mean except I had a SLS only with the STX finish. Can someone tell me this. Does the ALS rub the finish down on the slide?

Yes.

Chuck Haggard
10-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Not on my holster.

JR1572
10-15-2014, 09:15 AM

The finish on my px4's slide is looking really rough from the ALS. I'll post pictures of it this evening.

JR1572

KeeFus
10-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Yes.

Just snapped a photo on the iPhone.

http://i.imgur.com/v0vX3EMl.jpg?2

Chuck Haggard
10-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Perhaps they ride differently on the Glock holsters?

MD7305
10-15-2014, 10:24 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/15/d841d5cd80d013da91302d6e4f0dffba.jpg

My Glock has a little bit of marring where the ALS contacts the slide. That's after about 15 months and a LOT of presentations as I practiced frequently with the 6360 when we were issued them. I have a WML version so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOLFIE
10-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the replies and some even came with pictures.