PDA

View Full Version : Weak hand issue

LostDuke
10-09-2014, 08:21 AM
A year ago I broke my weak side elbow in three points and suffered acromioclavicular separation (separated shoulder) when a car hit me as I was riding my bicycle. I have worked hard at the gym and the arm is as good as it is going to be now, it's actually strong and works OK. The elbow makes some weird noises at times and can suddenly become sharply painful, but overall I am OK.

Recently I have noticed that when I practice weak hand only I experience a lot of FTE's and am basically limp wristing a lot. The issue is particularly marked when I shoot a USP compact with which I want to do BUG matches and that I plan to carry in the winter. It seems it has a stiff recoil spring, but I have zero issue shooting strong hand only so it's not an ammo issue (even though I suspect I might be a little bit light) or a gun issue.

I have tried to strenghten my strong arm close to my chest in order to stiffen the torso as much as possible, and have tried both tilting the gun and keeping it straight, but nothing seems to work. Am at loss, and looking for practice ideas and suggestions to eliminate this problem.

GJM
10-09-2014, 08:43 AM
I bet a metal pistol, with more weight, would be more reliable. I think polymer pistols are more sensitive to grip.

theJanitor
10-09-2014, 10:56 AM
You mention that your arm is "strong and works OK", but how is your hand strength? I put alot of emphasis on developing hand strength, especially at full extension.

LostDuke
10-09-2014, 02:03 PM
It's not what it used to be, could not work it for quite some time while mending. Can't tell an exact %, but it's down. You think the problem lies there?

GJM
10-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I don't think increasing hand strength is likely to result in a near 100 percent solution.

I injured my wrist moose hunting two years ago. That afternoon, I shot a spruce hen with my Glock 29, and got a stoppage that I attribute to a weaker grip. Guess what, it could easily have been a shot on a bear.

I would get a revolver or metal pistol that functions with any grip, especially since you have a pre-existing injury.

JMorse
10-17-2014, 02:10 AM
I recently got one of these which seems to help. If I were to get another one I'd probably get one of the versions with a rubber middle section because this sucker is hard as heck to hang onto when it gets spinning fast. It can develop 65 pounds of torque at speed.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YXZQ5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YXZQ5Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

rsa-otc
10-17-2014, 06:42 AM
How is your stance? A lot of times this can be corrected with a good stance getting your bone structure behind the gun not necessarily needing to muscle it.

The issue with stance is the recoil will be transfer into the skeletal structure and it may be uncomfortable with your previous injury.