PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Dan Wesson VBOB - Black Duty Coat

Shipwreck
10-06-2014, 09:46 PM
I went to a gun dealer yesterday - guy I just got my Ed Brown from and who deals in higher end 1911s... I went to look at a few things.

He had a Nighthawk Dominator I could afford, and I originally went to take a look at this gun...But the paint around the front sight was screwed up, and I am VERY anal retentive about sights on a handgun. I expect those white circles to be perfect when the gun is new... I alsow as on the fence if I wanted adjustible sights....

In my price range, I looked at a few things. I settled on a Ed Brown Executive Carry in stainless and a Dan Wesson VBOB with the black Duty Coat. Obviously, the Brown is close to $800 more. But, I mentioned it on other posts - I REALLY like that fullsize stainless Valor I already have. It is my favorite 1911 I have ever owned, and I have owned quite a few over the years (this is my 2nd Brown that I have now)

Anyway, the checkering is a bit more aggressive on the Valor than on that Executive Carry. And, I also love the 2 dot sights. And, the gun just feels right in my hand - like the fullsize Valor...

Believe it or not - I chose the Valor over the Brown... The Valor is cheaper, too. So, I'll have a little extra money.

I put $500 down, and will likely have the rest in Nov. Then I will pick it up. He told me if I change my mind, I can always move the $500 over to something else. But, that VBOB is sweet...

I was going to custom order a 9mm VBOB without the bobtail in January, but decided to go this route....

Robinson
10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Nice.

What is your impression from shooting a bobtail 1911? How does it affect your grip, etc...

ReverendMeat
10-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Nice dude. Sounds like a good pistol and I like bobtailed 1991s, looking forward to a range report

Shipwreck
10-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Nice.

What is your impression from shooting a bobtail 1911? How does it affect your grip, etc...

I have never actually shot one yet. In the past, I haven't been a fan. But, the Sigs and Kimber versions are not quite as redical of a cut. I've held them many times over the years and warmed up to them a bit.

My local shop has a stainless Valor that I have been pawing for weeks. This guy has the Duty Coat/black version. I have two stainless 1911s (Ed Brown Special Forces and a fullsize Valor) - I wanted a black one.

I've shot a commander size 1911 before - but every single 1911 I have ever owned (10 total) has always been fullsize. I wanted to try a smaller one this time. We'll see what I think when I actually shoot it.