PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Demand Action is our biggest threat to gun rights

cclaxton
10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Please take a look at the way these groups are targeting our gun rights. This is not being posted to inflame anybody here. This is being posted to get everyone to seriously think about a smarter response to this new campaign. I will keep beating the drum that we need to expand our reach beyond political lines and take a different focus in order to counter these very smart and well-funded anti-gun campaigns.

Take a look at this website: https://gunsensevoter.org/about/
It is very smart in that it says its non-partisan, rational, patriotic, etc. The language is not inflammatory, sounds reasonable, is sensible, etc. But the content is misleading and has weak foundations. For example, they use the 31,000 dead due to gun violence...well we all know that includes suicides. So that is inflated. The rationale is weak, they draw black and white choices, etc. But there is no smart response to this effort that I can find. The group supporting this website, Moms Demand Action, is the NRA's worst nightmare, according to Mother Jones.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/09/moms-demand-action-guns-madd-shannon-watts-nra

The enemies of gun rights and the right to self-defense are going to out-maneuver the NRA and gun rights groups if we don't change the way we market gun rights and if we don't target groups no matter what political group they belong to. Videos telling other people how we are the Good Guys is not going to counter these attacks...and they are attacks.

Cody

joshs
10-06-2014, 04:52 PM
There's no response? All they did is copy NRA's Trigger the Vote (http://www.triggerthevote.org/). Everytown has made it very clear that they are trying to copy NRA strategy, but it's a lot harder for them since their organizations are almost entirely based on astroturfing.

MDA has had some success in targeting private entities to get them to change firearm policies, but they've (that is Everytown) had very little success in state legislatures. You also do realize that the Mother Jones article is marketing for MDA, right?

ETA: Their website is actually a mix of Trigger the Vote and NRA's PVF (https://www.nrapvf.org/) site

JV_
10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
You also do realize that the Mother Jones article is marketing for MDA, right?[long-drawn-out] LOL...

NETim
10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Explaining to "them" that we're the good guys won't win "them" over. However, when ads like the NRA is currently running that show non-stereotypical gun owners advocating responsible gun ownership, well, I for one believe that's a winning formula.

The lamestream media has done an outstanding job of depicting the average gun owner as some kind of cousin humping, ignorant redneck mouth breather. Destroying that image will help immensely.

Then too, the number of female gun owners continues to climb in this country. Also good.

NerdAlert
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Cody, I'm going to say this as nicely as I can. Stop watching the news. Stop reading mother jones. Stop tracking MDA, Everytown, MAIG, or whatever other bought and paid for trash Bloomberg trots out next. Take an open minded fence sitting friend to the range, volunteer in local politics, join the NRA, GOA, SAF, or whatever other active legislative pro gun powerhouse you choose, nationally and locally. If you hear of a local, state or federal law going up for vote, to committee, or otherwise being acted upon the write, email, fax, and/or call your reps. Wetting yourself over how UNSTOPPABLE MDA is, and how the NRA is powerless in her presence gets you and the gun community less than nowhere. ACT or do nothing, that is your choice, but crying wolf is really unbecoming.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

cclaxton
10-06-2014, 07:16 PM
. You also do realize that the Mother Jones article is marketing for MDA, right?
I figured Mother Jones is in the same corner. Why don't we get better exposure on those messages?
Cody

GardoneVT
10-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Please take a look at the way these groups are targeting our gun rights. This is not being posted to inflame anybody here. This is being posted to get everyone to seriously think about a smarter response to this new campaign. I will keep beating the drum that we need to expand our reach beyond political lines and take a different focus in order to counter these very smart and well-funded anti-gun campaigns.

Take a look at this website: https://gunsensevoter.org/about/
It is very smart in that it says its non-partisan, rational, patriotic, etc. The language is not inflammatory, sounds reasonable, is sensible, etc. But the content is misleading and has weak foundations. For example, they use the 31,000 dead due to gun violence...well we all know that includes suicides. So that is inflated. The rationale is weak, they draw black and white choices, etc. But there is no smart response to this effort that I can find. The group supporting this website, Moms Demand Action, is the NRA's worst nightmare, according to Mother Jones.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/09/moms-demand-action-guns-madd-shannon-watts-nra

The enemies of gun rights and the right to self-defense are going to out-maneuver the NRA and gun rights groups if we don't change the way we market gun rights and if we don't target groups no matter what political group they belong to. Videos telling other people how we are the Good Guys is not going to counter these attacks...and they are attacks.

Cody

I would disagree.

The biggest threat to our rights is not MDA,MDMA, or the NFA. It is your local public school and state funded university. As one day, us gun owners will get old -and someone else will take our place at the voting booth. If we permit Hollywood and Sociology 101 to have the last word on gun rights, we will look like Britian in 20 years .

DocGKR
10-06-2014, 08:26 PM
GVT--well said.

LittleLebowski
10-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Closed to avoid the inevitable negativity.