PDA

View Full Version : walther ppx and ppq

mosin46
09-30-2014, 04:39 PM
new here. looking for some input on the above new walthers. what i am reading looks good,but-internet reviews? problematic at times. have handled/shot glock,xd,shield (carry one). handled ruger SRs,M&Ps. i am noticing a transition back to 9,based on latest bullet tech (aka hst and pdx1)? somewhat invested in 45. i am not a LE wannabe. those that claim i need to carry a g17 and 4 mags to be serious about self defense are not to be taken seriously IMHO. i don't plan any upcoming fire suppression missions. i am one whose opinion is that any gun beats none,based on user preferences and situation. just looking for honest hands on eval/experience of the walthers. looked here a bit before signing on. seems to be reasonable non big ego driven opinion available.TX for input,if any.

Sheep Have Wool
09-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Some threads you might find relevant:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5910-Walther-PPX
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2535-Walther-PPQ

Mike C
09-30-2014, 06:28 PM
mosin46, I haven't run a PPX or PPQ, but I have run the PPS for a while on and off though. The only reason I am giving input is that I have had trouble procuring spare parts. CS has been spotty and I have dealt with the occasional rude CS personnel. I would honestly give another gun that has better support and parts supply first shot unless the PPQ or PPX is just what you shoot best/enjoy. Regardless of what route you go many on here including myself are of the frame of mind to have more than one of what ever your particular carry piece is. One is for beating down in practice the other for carry. DocGKR prescribes three with one being a spare. To each his own but sound advice would be to have at least two particularly if you buy a Walther. They make good guns but if you end up sending anything in it might be a while on the return. I know that I am not the only one here who has had this experience.

Have you perhaps looked at the H&K VP9? Similar ergonomics, much better CS, mags are even cheaper if you go direct from HK CS at about $33 a piece. Last I saw Walther mags when looking at them was around $39-44 a piece. On the VP9 I presently have one and they are rather nice, they are accurate and boringly reliable. Mine has just about 1300 now in the span of about a week and a half with no cleaning and lots various ammunition types. Hope you find what you are looking for.

JSGlock34
09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Have you perhaps looked at the H&K VP9? Similar ergonomics, much better CS, mags are even cheaper if you go direct from HK CS at about $33 a piece. Last I saw Walther mags when looking at them was around $39-44 a piece. On the VP9 I presently have one and they are rather nice, they are accurate and boringly reliable. Mine has just about 1300 now in the span of about a week and a half with no cleaning and lots various ammunition types. Hope you find what you are looking for.

It is really no wonder that whenever the PPQ is brought up the HK VP9 is not far behind. The PPQ and VP9 are unquestionably very similar pistols and therefore invite direct comparisons. In terms of dimensions, controls (especially the PPQ M1), capacity, style - they resemble each other closely. I even used a Raven Phantom molded for the PPQ as a range holster until I acquired a dedicated holster for the VP9. It was these very similarities that drove me to eliminate one so as to focus my efforts on improving with the other.

From that perspective, I recently sold my Walther PPQ in favor of focusing on my VP9. I found the VP9 more 'shootable' than the PPQ. Both pistols are very accurate and come out of the box with terrific triggers (in both categories they are a cut above Glock), but I find the VP9 trigger better suited for carry. The PPQ trigger is very light with an extremely short reset - and little margin for error. The PPQ felt top heavy in comparison to the VP9. I can get a higher grip on the VP9, and whereas I found the PPQ somewhat 'snappy', the VP9 is unremarkable in recoil. While the PPQ grip is excellent, there is no question that the VP9/P30 grip is the best available.

Both the PPQ and VP9 are high quality pistols and merit consideration. I have no first hand experience with the PPX, but Tamara seems to be having a good experience with hers.

HopetonBrown
09-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Just pick one and practice. Glock, M&P, PPQ and VP9 are all pretty similar enough for it not to matter too much.

Mike C
10-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Just pick one and practice. Glock, M&P, PPQ and VP9 are all pretty similar enough for it not to matter too much.

I am not going to completely derail this thread but your statement could not be further from the truth. I am no engineer but there are significant engineering, metallurgical, tolerance, mechanics and design differences between the guns you listed. While Glock is simple in certain terms the H&K would be wildly complex in comparison. Just look at the firing pin block safety on the VP9 for example. You can also compare striker systems, completely cocked striker vs. partially. MIM components and quality, etc. etc.

I could go on but that would further derail this thread and there are individuals on here who are immensely overqualified in comparison and could probably write a short novel outlining the differences I've not even begun to scratch the surface of.

HopetonBrown
10-01-2014, 04:21 AM
They're all polymer framed, striker fired duty pistols. Which one chosen by the user will have little difference on where the bullets strike the target. I guess I do not share your passion for minutiae.

KVDT
10-01-2014, 08:56 AM
I recently purchased a PPQ and I really like it. The first time I tried Dot Torture with it I cleared it. I've never done that with my Glock 19 or 26. I ended up selling two back up Glocks. I still have my primary 19 and 26 only because I can't quite conceal the PPQ nearly as well as the Glocks. If Walther had a compact version I would be all in. If HK comes out with a compact VP9 then everything may be up for sale. I have not tried the HK so I don't have any input with it.

The grip fits my hand and trigger reach very well. I have the M2 version and the mag release button is in a great spot for me. I do not have to adjust my grip to drop the mag or release the slide. The trigger is fantastic but I can see why appendix carry would be out for most people. I have not noticed the snappy recoil (mine is 9mm) nor have I noticed any problems with "high bore axis" compared to the 19. I have only fired 200 rounds thru it to this point so I can't comment on long term reliability.

olstyn
10-01-2014, 09:33 AM
If Walther had a compact version I would be all in.

The P99c AS may be what you're looking for. Yes, it's DA/SA, but if one were so inclined, one could simply rack the slide and go, leaving it in "AS" mode, which is single action with a long, light pull. Safety-wise, it's not what I'd choose to do, but it's really no different than carrying a PPQ. Basically, when Walther made the PPQ, they took the P99, removed the double action mode, and made some cosmetic and grip texture changes. Given that you seem to be pretty happy with your PPQ, I'd suggest taking a look at a P99/P99c if you can find one to try out. The only thing that might be a significant adjustment for you is that the P99 and P99c have the same mag release as the PPQ M1 (paddle style rather than a button).

Chef
10-01-2014, 09:43 AM
mosin46, I haven't run a PPX or PPQ, but I have run the PPS for a while on and off though. The only reason I am giving input is that I have had trouble procuring spare parts. CS has been spotty and I have dealt with the occasional rude CS personnel. I would honestly give another gun that has better support and parts supply first shot unless the PPQ or PPX is just what you shoot best/enjoy. Regardless of what route you go many on here including myself are of the frame of mind to have more than one of what ever your particular carry piece is. One is for beating down in practice the other for carry. DocGKR prescribes three with one being a spare. To each his own but sound advice would be to have at least two particularly if you buy a Walther. They make good guns but if you end up sending anything in it might be a while on the return. I know that I am not the only one here who has had this experience.

Not certain if you must be LEO for the pricing on the mags direct from HK but i just called and was quoted $49 each plus tax and shipping for 15 round 9mm P30 mags.

VitalStatistic
10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
new here. looking for some input on the above new walthers. what i am reading looks good,but-internet reviews? problematic at times. have handled/shot glock,xd,shield (carry one). handled ruger SRs,M&Ps. i am noticing a transition back to 9,based on latest bullet tech (aka hst and pdx1)? somewhat invested in 45. i am not a LE wannabe. those that claim i need to carry a g17 and 4 mags to be serious about self defense are not to be taken seriously IMHO. i don't plan any upcoming fire suppression missions. i am one whose opinion is that any gun beats none,based on user preferences and situation. just looking for honest hands on eval/experience of the walthers. looked here a bit before signing on. seems to be reasonable non big ego driven opinion available.TX for input,if any.

Own both .40 PPQ M1 and .40 PPS. Have also fired the PPX. If you have the choice, buy a PPQ over the PPX. Better trigger and easier to handle. PPS is a fine concealed carry handgun and I've never had a malfunction with any of my Walthers - 6-700 rounds minimum through all of them. I also have S&W M&P .40 and Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40. Can highly recommend the Springfield, and would recommend both Walther and Springfield over the M&P . All that being said, buying and becoming comfortable with a handgun is as much about how it appeals to one visually and the level of confidence you have in it's performance. Just like golf clubs, if you like how they look, you'll have more confidence in how they perform and you'll invest the time/resources to improve with them.

HopetonBrown
10-01-2014, 01:09 PM
becoming comfortable with a handgun is as much about how it appeals to one visually

I don't really care what my handgun looks like.

JV_
10-01-2014, 01:18 PM
If I had a list of handgun qualities that were important to me, looks and visual appeal would not be on that list.

mosin46
10-01-2014, 01:37 PM
thanks for the input all.

Mike C
10-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Might have been a price change as of recent it has been a while since I've ordered. Last time I ordered 12 or them so it will be a while before I have no serviceable mags. Even so when I've had issue they usually only need and follower or spring change.

Tamara
10-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't know as I'd shop the PPX and PPQ head to head against one another anyway. The PPX's closest competitor is the Used Glock, which it undercuts slightly on price. That said, I don't think I'd have any qualms toting the PPX I'm working with right now. After it's done with the 2k round thing and I clean it, I may wind up using it for a travel gun. If baggage handlers "lost" it, I wouldn't be too broke up. (Incidentally, it seems to be quite soft-shooting, although I need to get some video to back up that impression...)

Lomshek
10-02-2014, 12:43 AM
The PPQ trigger is very light with an extremely short reset - and little margin for error. This in spades. The PPQ trigger may be more than 4 pounds but not much and the total trigger travel to release and reset is very minimal. It feels more like my Apex FSS trigger after I polished all the engagement surfaces than any of the stock plastic gun triggers I've handled. Especially on a gun with no manual safety I'd be hesitant to carry it.

They're all polymer framed, striker fired duty pistols. Which one chosen by the user will have little difference on where the bullets strike the target. I guess I do not share your passion for minutiae. Other than different trigger designs, grip shapes, ergonomics and controls they are similar. :confused:

Mike C
10-02-2014, 09:08 AM
This in spades. The PPQ trigger may be more than 4 pounds but not much and the total trigger travel to release and reset is very minimal. It feels more like my Apex FSS trigger after I polished all the engagement surfaces than any of the stock plastic gun triggers I've handled. Especially on a gun with no manual safety I'd be hesitant to carry it.

Other than different trigger designs, grip shapes, ergonomics and controls they are similar. :confused:

Yeah, again dumb sarcastic comment, (not you Lowshek). Mechanical design, trigger function, ergonomics, (which affect things like trigger reach and finger placement) force users of different stature to adjust their technique to accommodate for these things. Trigger finger placement and grip are vital to manipulate a trigger correctly as not to disturb sight alignment and sight picture during the process of firing to be effectively accurate. Control placement and function also change the way individuals of different sizes must adjust grip to manipulate the weapon efficiently during things like magazine changes/emergency reloads.

Obviously as one's skill set increases it matters less about the slight variations from platform to platform because a skilled shooter can make up for those variables with knowledge and understanding but without knowing ones skill set saying a striker gun is a striker gun and it doesn't matter is a gross overstatement. Certain characteristics in triggers, ergonomics and control placement lend themselves to being more shooter friendly than others. Not some shit made up in the back of someones brain bucket it is an undeniable fact. Even when you are talking about a highly skilled shooter they will still typically manipulate a specific type/platform of gun faster and shoot slightly more accurately. For someone like that it makes little difference but for a shooter of mediocre skill it is important to select a tool/gun that can be manipulated the most efficiently and accurately.

Tamara
10-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Not some shit made up in the back of someones brain bucket it is an undeniable fact. Even when you are talking about a highly skilled shooter they will still typically manipulate a specific type/platform of gun faster and shoot slightly more accurately. For someone like that it makes little difference but for a shooter of mediocre skill it is important to select a tool/gun that can be manipulated the most efficiently and accurately.

I watched a guy buy a very expensive Limited gun because he wanted to take up USPSA shooting and quit after he got donkey-stomped and sell the gun back (at a loss.) I'm sure it was a very efficient gun.

Mike C
10-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Tam, I've seen plenty of that. I am not talking about some dude who decided to just shoot USPSA over the weekend and drop 2k on a gun. I am not talking about the inherent mechanical accuracy. I am strictly trying to say that some guns are simply easier to shoot than others and though there are similarities between guns of similar designs those differences make a difference in ones ability to use them more effectively. Would you make the statement that all wheel guns are the same and can be shot equally as accurate by all?

mosin46
10-02-2014, 05:33 PM
mike c,i think you are totally correct. i learned to shoot HG in the late 60s in NRA 2700 using a modified 1911,like everyone else. i still shoot them better than most guns. getting better with modern DAOs but still would get a high power for a "big" gun if i could afford one. can't hit he berm with a DA/SA like a sig.

Kyle Reese
10-02-2014, 05:35 PM
mike c,i think you are totally correct. i learned to shoot HG in the late 60s in NRA 2700 using a modified 1911,like everyone else. i still shoot them better than most guns. getting better with modern DAOs but still would get a high power for a "big" gun if i could afford one. can't hit he berm with a DA/SA like a sig.

A little off topic, but here's a Hi-Power (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=2088&name=Shooters+Grade+FN+%28Belgium%29+Hi+Power+9mm+ Pistols) for $360, shipped to your FFL.

Tamara
10-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Would you make the statement that all wheel guns are the same and can be shot equally as accurate by all?

I'd say that the differences between, say, a 686, GP100, and Trooper are small enough to get swamped by shooter skill and the person would probably be best picking the one that gives them the jollies and shooting the heck out of it. "But the Smith locks up at the end of the guide rod and the Colt's cylinder rotates in toward the frame and the..."

I realize we all have a good time discussing our favorite spring kits and grips and everything, but a lot of that is picking fly poop out of pepper because we're gun nerds and we like talking about guns and messing with guns and having fun with guns.

mosin46
10-02-2014, 05:52 PM
thanks fred. saw those and they ARE on the radar. AIM is a good outfit did a bit of biz with them when i was heavy into mosin/mauser collecting.

Mike C
10-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I'd say that the differences between, say, a 686, GP100, and Trooper are small enough to get swamped by shooter skill and the person would probably be best picking the one that gives them the jollies and shooting the heck out of it. "But the Smith locks up at the end of the guide rod and the Colt's cylinder rotates in toward the frame and the..."

I realize we all have a good time discussing our favorite spring kits and grips and everything, but a lot of that is picking fly poop out of pepper because we're gun nerds and we like talking about guns and messing with guns and having fun with guns.

I definitely fit in the nerd category when it comes to guns, theres not a damn thing I don't like about'em, unless they're being pointed or fired in my direction. I just have a little different experience I guess, my views differ from most but thats probably just the OCD nerd talking. If you look at my other post though you'll see I completely agree that shooter skill generally trumps most design differences.

Kyle Reese
10-02-2014, 07:05 PM
thanks fred. saw those and they ARE on the radar. AIM is a good outfit did a bit of biz with them when i was heavy into mosin/mauser collecting.
No problem. :cool:

ReverendMeat
10-04-2014, 02:49 AM
To the OP,
I have a couple thousand rounds through my PPQ at this point, it continues to be reliable though I haven't cleaned or lubed it yet. Easy to be accurate with, good trigger. No qualms about using it as a carry gun; the trigger may be lighter than a stock Glock but it has more take-up, I don't see a problem. The stock sights are fine, wider rear sight notch/narrower front sight than most, which is my preference. Buy it, you'll like it.

GardoneVT
10-07-2014, 09:40 AM
If you look at my other post though you'll see I completely agree that shooter skill generally trumps most design differences.

All the skill in the world is worth nothing if the shooter can't even reach the trigger.Debating minutae on frame parts may not make a difference in applied shooting, but weapon ergonomics versus the end user very much does. We all have different body types, and as such a weapon "SME X" performs very well with you and I might find totally incompatible.

Sasage
10-07-2014, 08:36 PM
To the OP,
I have a couple thousand rounds through my PPQ at this point, it continues to be reliable though I haven't cleaned or lubed it yet. Easy to be accurate with, good trigger. No qualms about using it as a carry gun; the trigger may be lighter than a stock Glock but it has more take-up, I don't see a problem. The stock sights are fine, wider rear sight notch/narrower front sight than most, which is my preference. Buy it, you'll like it.
Are you running the PPQ as your EDC?

JackRock
10-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I carry a 9mm PPQ M2 every day, both concealed and openly (depends on where I am and what I'm doing). The only times it comes off my hip is bedtime, at work (but not in transit to/from work), and at the gym. I have a t-shirt I wear outside of which is my paddle holster and gun. Over that, if I choose/am required to conceal, is a larger draped untucked button-up shirt. Works pretty well for me, as I've sat next to other students in class, and nobody's noticed yet.

As for shooting it - I'm spoiled. I love the trigger and the action. I'm working on accuracy, but I can fire this thing approximately 400% better than any other gun I've tried. Sure, I can learn to shoot anything - the Army taught me that - but this just feels like took a mold of my hand to make the grips.

My wife likes it, but prefers the P99 - but if the P99 isn't available when we have the extra funds to buy hers, she'll get a PPQ, as well.

Mike C
10-07-2014, 10:55 PM
All the skill in the world is worth nothing if the shooter can't even reach the trigger.Debating minutae on frame parts may not make a difference in applied shooting, but weapon ergonomics versus the end user very much does. We all have different body types, and as such a weapon "SME X" performs very well with you and I might find totally incompatible.

Generally, not always and I was speaking about shooters with much greater skill than average. If you go back and read my other posts and Tam's that quote is taken out of context. See post #18. My initial point remains, not all striker firearms are the same due to both mechanical design and things like ergonomics to include trigger reach, and control placement. Obviously the differences mentioned lend some of these guns to being more shooter friendly or accurate off the bat than others for newer and even in some instances intermediate shooters. Hence my comment about others making the bold statement that all striker guns are the same as being stupid and sarcastic.

ReverendMeat
10-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Are you running the PPQ as your EDC?

Not at the moment. A few months back I started getting back into TDA pistols so right now I'm carrying a SIG. Why do you ask?

Sasage
10-08-2014, 07:59 AM
I was just curious. I have a G26 and PPQ currently and need to buy an IWB holster for my PPQ before I put it in my carry rotation.

ScotchMan
10-08-2014, 06:04 PM
I carried a PPS for a couple years and have recently up-sized to the PPQ. I've been carrying it since the beginning of the summer, appendix in a JMC. For the life of me I can't tell the difference in safety between it and a Glock, and I have yet to have any safety issues. If a Glock can be carried safely, I don't see why the PPQ can't.

In my mind, I took all the benefits of the Glock (minus parts availability, more on that in a moment), and added better trigger, better ergos, better mag release, and BETTER TRIGGER. I just shoot the thing so well without trying. I was shooting the PPS in our weekly training meets, one time I took the PPQ and was shocked at the groups that resulted at my usual speed. That was when I got sold on sight radius and started putting together gear to make it my EDC.

As for the parts thing, I am not a thousand round a week shooter. I take classes and practice, but a couple thousand a year is probably more realistic. If my PPQ breaks, I have several other guns that I have carried and trained with and shoot well while it is being repaired. So I decided I didn't care about the parts availability, as I am not 100% dependent on this gun.

If I was starting now, I'd probably go with the VP9, as I own several HKs and love them. I think they probably have an edge in reliability and quality, though maybe not a huge one. I think that the Glock is probably the most practical choice (or an M&P, I still care about ergos...), but I subscribe to the idea of carrying a gun you like. It might make you shoot it more, and life is too short. I don't drive a used Honda Civic either, but I probably should.

KVDT
10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Smoking deal on the PPX
http://http://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-ppx-m1-9mm.html#.VDcbaym9K0c

Rich
10-09-2014, 08:00 PM

GP100 and M686. I had 2 each 3 & 6inch and 2.5 & 4inch. The only difference to me was the looks! Both revolvers are highly accurate. I do like the older Ruger rubber grips with wood side panels over the stock S&W grips I had at that time.

OP

Go to a range and se if you can rent / shoot a
HK VP9 , FN FNS , G17/19 , PPQ

I myself prefer uncool double action service pistols
HK P30L , P30 ,P2000 , USP
Sig MK25 only for now.
Beretta M9A2 , A1