PDA

View Full Version : Is it the difference in recoil??

irishshooter
07-20-2011, 09:54 AM
picked up a Gen4 19, loved the way it felt in my hand and pointed quite naturally. been shooting an M&P 9c for a long time and figured i'd run the Glock for a bit just to see how it felt :rolleyes: my follow up shots with my M&P were always consistent and grouped well however not so much with the Glock. i seem to be either low or to the left with the Glock, not always but more than i'd ever like to see....to clarify, not "low AND to the left" but one or the other. the M&P compact is heavier and the trigger pull is at about 4.25 -4.5# the Glock 19 pull is at about 5#. my question to the gurus is, do you think the difference in recoil is the reason for my skewed follow ups or what else could be the trouble??? thanks for the help :D

ToddG
07-20-2011, 10:30 AM
It's more likely the trigger pull, possibly combined with your grip. The M&P has a rather funky trigger and lots of people need time to acclimate to it; once you've done so, jumping back to the Glock could be equally funky.

irishshooter
07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
It's more likely the trigger pull, possibly combined with your grip. The M&P has a rather funky trigger and lots of people need time to acclimate to it; once you've done so, jumping back to the Glock could be equally funky.

thanks Todd, that was my other concern hence the posting of the pull weights. With about 8K or more rounds through the M&P i knew the Glock would take some getting used to, but i'm starting to beat myself up about it :mad: any suggestions?

ToddG
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Slow down. It takes time to learn a trigger.

irishshooter
07-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Slow down. It takes time to learn a trigger.

:o yup figured this as well. it is difficult and frustrating to relive speed bumps that you forgot existed early on. i have been slowing it down and using a reset drill with hard front sight focus watching the sight lift and the brass eject on each shot. is this a waste of time for trying to improve my follow through? are there other drills to improve upon this? thanks for the help

SLG
07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
The whole "brass ejecting thing" has always confused me. How can you track your sight, while watching brass fly? I'd watch the sight, and forget about the brass.

As a stop gap measure (to be out grown as your shooting with the Glock improves) I've found that many people benefit from some firm pressure on the frame with their left thumb. That assumes a modern, thumbs forward grip. Your sights are still right where you want them, but you apply a good bit of pressure to the frame to help prevent the gun from moving that way when the shot breaks.

jetfire
07-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Fun training conversation: I told a guy that he should be able to see the brass eject out of his gun when he's looking at the front sight. His next string of fire his shots were all over the place. I asked what he was doing, he said he was watching the ejection port to see the brass come out. i've since stopped using that as a way to get people to focus on the front sight.

DonovanM
07-20-2011, 10:09 PM
The whole "brass ejecting thing" has always confused me. How can you track your sight, while watching brass fly? I'd watch the sight, and forget about the brass.

As a stop gap measure (to be out grown as your shooting with the Glock improves) I've found that many people benefit from some firm pressure on the frame with their left thumb. That assumes a modern, thumbs forward grip. Your sights are still right where you want them, but you apply a good bit of pressure to the frame to help prevent the gun from moving that way when the shot breaks.

It's not that you're watching the brass fly, or rather watching for the brass to fly, but sometimes when shooting super fast and super relaxed, I notice the shower of brass casings shooting out of my gun. My eyes are focused hard on tracking the front sight, and my subconscious is completely in control of the shooting - I'm calling my shots, transitioning, etc. but the overlord, my conscious mind, doesn't really have anything to do so my "attention" as it were goes to seeing the brass fly.

Most of the time I'm too wrapped up in GO FAST!, where my conscious mind is ruining everything by trying to run the show (working on it), but it has happened to me a few times.

ToddG
07-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Color me contrary: While it's true you can't effectively focus on both the front sight and the brass, I believe there is a benefit to focussing on the brass instead of the front sight under specific circumstances to improve comfort/awareness about running the gun at full speed.

irishshooter
07-21-2011, 07:39 AM
i have been slowing it down and using a reset drill with hard front sight focus watching the sight lift and the brass eject on each shot.

as i understood it, focusing hard on the front sight would allow for the brass being seen as a product of peripheral vision. so "seeing" the brass means that you are truly focusing hard on that front sight but not focusing on the brass. :confused:

Lon
07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Color me contrary: While it's true you can't effectively focus on both the front sight and the brass, I believe there is a benefit to focussing on the brass instead of the front sight under specific circumstances to improve comfort/awareness about running the gun at full speed.

Please elaborate on this if u will.

ToddG
07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I get people in class all the time who say "I can't shoot faster!" What that often -- though not always -- means is that they cannot break the habit of perfectly aligning their sights or they're otherwise visually controlled by the gun instead of the other way around. So I'll have the students do a drill or two that breaks that control. One of them involves counting the brass as it ejects from the gun, getting the shooter's attention on something other than the sights & target.

jar
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
The other thing about seeing brass eject is it's really hard to do if you're blinking.