PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket heads up

Malamute
09-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Photobucket changed some things in the past year, what used to be private info isn't always so now. In most albums that aren't totally private, your real name may now be showing (Joe Smiths Secret Online Name album). Photobucket didn't bother to tell anyone about this change. You can change the name in the profile or personal section of the album.

One other thing, if you post an image on a forum, it may link directly back to your album. The settings can be changed so it doesn't link back if you don't want all your pics to be visible just from posting one on a forum.

Albums can be set to totally private, but you need to log in to see them and grab one to post somewhere. I don't mind some people being able to see some stuff if I choose to share, but don't necessarily want it wide open just from posting a pic somewhere. YMMV, just letting people know of the changes and potential exposure they may have at the moment.

I've mentioned this to a couple people that weren't aware of this, and didn't want all their albums wide open.

RoyGBiv
09-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I keep separate accounts for separate "lives".
It's easier than worrying about changing privacy rules.

YMMV

Sheep Have Wool
09-26-2014, 04:10 PM
imgur.com (http://imgur.com) Easy uploads, and no account required. It even generates the image BBCode for you technology-impaired folks.

okie john
09-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Photobucket changed some things in the past year, what used to be private info isn't always so now. In most albums that aren't totally private, your real name may now be showing (Joe Smiths Secret Online Name album). Photobucket didn't bother to tell anyone about this change. You can change the name in the profile or personal section of the album.

One other thing, if you post an image on a forum, it may link directly back to your album. The settings can be changed so it doesn't link back if you don't want all your pics to be visible just from posting one on a forum.

Albums can be set to totally private, but you need to log in to see them and grab one to post somewhere. I don't mind some people being able to see some stuff if I choose to share, but don't necessarily want it wide open just from posting a pic somewhere. YMMV, just letting people know of the changes and potential exposure they may have at the moment.

I've mentioned this to a couple people that weren't aware of this, and didn't want all their albums wide open.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'm going to move all of my images off of Photobucket and delete my account over there. Companies like this do this kind of thing all the time, and the only way to get them to stop is to vote with your feet.

Okie John