PDA

View Full Version : scaling back drills

PS82
09-25-2014, 06:16 PM
So first, let me introduce myself. My name is Pablo; I joined PT recently, and I am glad that I did. I have been a LEO for over 7 years and stayed on top of my weapons training since before I became a cop. I have been lucky to take courses with some skilled instructors but have recognized the importance of putting in a lot of individual time into skill specific training. Anyways, I recently started working on the FAST drill and wanted to know if there were any negatives with scaling back distance to 'get it right' and maintain accuracy. I have started with 5 yards and have brought my time down to an average of 6.45 seconds. I am trying to work on dropping my time before I throw in another challenge and push it out to 7 yards.(at 7 yards i can be very accurate but take way too much time to accomplish the drill) What are your thoughts?

gtmtnbiker98
09-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Don't practice the FAST, practice the skills that comprise the FAST.

JAD
09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
To elaborate a little, the FAST is a test. I do it once cold at the beginning of a session and once near the end as a little index of how I'm doing that day. The best way to improve the fast score is to work on the component that's holding you back. For me, that's the reload. I don't value the reload in the proportion that it's weighted in the test, so I don't get wrapped around the axle about it. But the FAST reminds me that I suck at them, and tells me whether I'm good at precise shooting under time pressure (2H) and fast controlled shooting (4B). If those segments are slow, I work on pairs or bill drills. If I miss, I work on trigger control. Usw.

JV_
09-25-2014, 08:29 PM
I agree with JAD and gtm. If something has too many complex operations, like the FAST, I find it's difficult to get a better score by just repeating that drill. I have to break it down in to simpler operations that are repeatable.

I often do 50-60 draws from concealment, with 2 shots to a 3x5 card at 7Y. I push myself with the time. I'm continually trying to go faster, while getting my hits. I use a flipping target system and I keep reducing the par time when I find my hits are becoming consistent. I sometimes vary the distance, pushing it out to 10Y. I don't often bring it closer than 7Y.

I do the same with the reload. I'll stand there and do 30 iterations of 1R2 or 1R3, trying to push it and not fumble it. I will sometimes do a 1R1, but I realize it can lead to sloppiness by cheating the grip. I can get a fairly bad grip after a reload and still get off 1 shot. It's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots of the FAST that will often show a post-reload bad grip.

For the body shots I often do 5 shots @ 5Y to a 5" circle. The body shots are rarely an issue for me, so I don't spend a lot of time here.

PS82
09-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Got it, thanks guys. Im drawing from a duty belt with a safariland 6360 holster so that probably slows me down a bit. Also, my mag changes arent bad but they can get better. Mostly I can work on rapid fire. Ive always been an accurate shooter but lately ive been pushing my issues with speed. I now understand that FAST should be seen as a performance on demand test, not as something I should be trying to drill as a solo drill.

Wendell
09-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Dot torture (http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture) can help with accuracy.

rob_s
09-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Mag changes are one of the easiest things to perfect since there isn't much to them and you can practice them at home for free.

Agree with the comments above that breaking it down and working on the core skills is the key. The FACT is there to tell you how well you're putting it all together, not a goal in and of itself.

PS82
09-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Thank you for all the great feedback. I have been watching a few of Kyle lambs pistol and carbine videos and find them to be very helpful. Accuracy is something I'm very comfortable with but I have not been able to combine that with a level of speed that is satisfactory to me. Based on your experience, are there any drills to help a shooter grow out of slow accuracy and transition into faster combat accuracy? When I was first taught to shoot I placed so much importance on trigger control and breaking the perfect shot because I did not want to flinch. Now I have a slight hesitation in Squeezing the trigger quickly that causes me to be very accurate but also a much slower shooter. Im not sure if that makes sense, but its almost like I doubt myself before the shot breaks so I slow down to ensure I dont drop the front sight.

okie john
09-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Thank you for all the great feedback. I have been watching a few of Kyle lambs pistol and carbine videos and find them to be very helpful. Accuracy is something I'm very comfortable with but I have not been able to combine that with a level of speed that is satisfactory to me. Based on your experience, are there any drills to help a shooter grow out of slow accuracy and transition into faster combat accuracy? When I was first taught to shoot I placed so much importance on trigger control and breaking the perfect shot because I did not want to flinch. Now I have a slight hesitation in Squeezing the trigger quickly that causes me to be very accurate but also a much slower shooter. Im not sure if that makes sense, but its almost like I doubt myself before the shot breaks so I slow down to ensure I dont drop the front sight.

Take a look at AAR's from Pat McNamara's courses and read his books. He stresses performance-based training over outcome-based training, and you'll learn about a TON of drills.

Okie John