PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto Shotgun Questions

Harm
09-23-2014, 02:13 PM
I've been slowly dipping my toes into the idea of getting a home defense shotgun. I grew up w pump guns, but feel the urge to get a semi.

But my experience w Semi's is limited - Rem 1100, Mossberg 930 SPX, & a Benelli M4. I didn't care for the Remington. I was OK w the Mossberg. I really liked the Benelli.

Based on the thread here on Pistol-Training & a friend who works at Beretta I've also been strongly considering the Beretta 1301 - but no one has one here in Arizona to get some trigger time with.
So basically- I guess I'm asking - what should I be aware of as someone who's never owned a semi smooth bore prior.

- oh side bar - my local gun shop had the Benelli Vinci. That thing is sweet. Just really need some trigger time with one. But for the life of me, if you are Benelli - why come out w a sleek new gun at the same price point as your main piece - the M4? Odd.

BoppaBear
09-24-2014, 03:51 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the M4 with the pistol grip. It just doesn't feel right when shouldering, to me. For a long time, I was wanting the pistol grippy M4, but would go with the standard tactical now, for reason above.

Don't pass on the M2. You can get a 21" barrel, slap a tube on it, and have a great shotgun with 8 round capacity (or more). Dual use for HD and comps if you like. Yes, the extra length is annoying for HD, but it's an option.

Side bar....just ran my new Córdoba in sporting clays tourney on Monday...it is an amazing gun. Will be shooting again today, then off to an early season goose hunt on Saturday.

SamuelBLong
09-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Nothing really different to be aware of... I prefer the Benelli and other manufacturers copies of their system over the pump guns... Benelli makes slug changeover drills super simple to do.

Semi's *can* be ammo sensitive... But generally speaking as long as you have a clean and properly lubricated gun, and get behind it, they generally run fine with the cheap stuff / light target loads

Try and keep any added weight forward of the receiver as light as possible... That's easy to do with good weaponlights and mounts. Reason # 1 being you don't want to add any extra mass to an already heavy gun, and 2 some of the semi's are sensitive to the extra mass out front.

Sights - if you're only going to use it inside the house, anything will do... However, I think most people are better served with rifle sights or ghost ring sights on the gun. It only adds capability and refinement in your sight picture. You might also want to look at mounting a red dot. Really increases your speed and target acquisition.

As far as stocks, pistol grips and what have you... As long as the stock is adequate in length of pull ...12" to 13" is the magic range.... it really comes down to personal opinion. I hated my pistol grip tactical stock Benelli for a long time simply cause it was too long. Now I've grown to appreciate the consistency in handling between my shotgun and the carbine. One thing to note about the Benelli and the mossberg is that you can not easily cut down the stocks to fit without diving into a bunch of work. Mesa tactical does make their urbino tactical stock (13" LOP) for both the Benelli m2,m4 and the Mossberg 930. Highly recommend the mesa urbino stock.

Generally here's what you want to look at... No particular order.. Pick one and go with it... Any of them will do well.

Benelli - M2, M4
Beretta - 1301 Tac, 1301 Comp
Remington VersaMax
Mossberg 930
FN SLP

Having recently shot all of these recently here are my general opinions.. All subjective, of course:

The mossberg is the best value.

The 1301 and the m2 handle the best.

The 1301 tac and 1301 comp are the best equipped from the factory.

The M4 is what you want if you want a Benelli and want to hang a bunch of stuff off of it.

The FN is nice, but I didn't like it as much as everything else. Less aftermarket support too.

The versamax is the softest shooting.

Let us know what you end up with.

ranger
09-24-2014, 06:38 PM
I am not a shotgun SME but I am very impressed with a new Stoeger M3000 12 gauge 24 inch. I would at least look at some of the reviews.

Crews
09-24-2014, 09:12 PM
As a guy who has bird hunted for almost all of his life, I've seen every different type of auto shotgun come and go. I goose hunt in some of the nastiest, dirtiest conditions a shotgun can operate in, and there's 15 other guys on the lease with me. Based on my observations.... If you want the most reliable shotgun on the market, pick a Beretta or a Benelli.

Harm
09-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks all. I am currently leaning to the Benelli M2/M4 and wild card Vinci or the Beretta 1301. I'd really like to get some trigger time w the M2 & the 1301.

I can run a classic stock shotgun rather quickly so would likely keep away from the pistol grip.

I actually really like ghost ring sights for a shotgun so I'd opt for that first.

JAD
09-29-2014, 11:16 AM
If I was a fan of Haught's technique (and I am), would it make sense to avoid recoil operated guns like the M1 and M2? I recall a lot of manually operated M1s in my class.

Haraise
09-29-2014, 12:12 PM
The M4 is what you want if you want a Benelli and want to hang a bunch of stuff off of it.

Rest of the post was good information, but if three gun has taught us anything, it's that you can hang five pounds of stuff on an M2 and still have it work.

Extra shell, huge tube, massive feed ramp, long barrel, all sorts of things.

Here's an M2 that is 11.4 lbs (stock 6.7lbs) heavy with stuff on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzqwEP5QC78

It's a bit of a myth that needs to stop being repeated. The M2 just needs to be able to move under recoil. Because of that the comfortech stock is advised (flexes under recoil) and the pistol grip is recommended against... but that video was with a normal stock and pistol grip.

Edit: Was wrong on weights.

Unobtanium
09-30-2014, 11:55 AM
I love my Benelli M4, but I'm ditching the field stock to go to the PG stock. I like it better. The field stock...just doesn't feel *right* to me. So put me in that camp, I guess. Here I am firing a few rounds of full-power buck through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQoPp-8In2E