PDA

View Full Version : AAR - Vehicle Combatives, Spaulding

Glenn E. Meyer
09-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Just got done with this on the weekend. Description is here. It was hosted KRtraining in Texas.
http://www.handguncombatives.com/styled-10/index.html

The goal state is to give you an introduction and practice in fighting from and around vehicles. Starts with basic handgun drills that test and reinforce what you might have to do from or about a vehicle.

Spaulding is an excellent and humorous instructor. He runs a tight ship but is not a DI, get in your face person. The class time was informative but we spent most time in the TX sun.

He is aware of the mixed physical abilities of the class that ranged from the very young and spry to the older folks (whom he amusing called beefalos - crack me up - being one, now in my old age). However, we had to ditch cars, move, get up and do whatever. After basics, we shot from cars, around cars, over cars - with the disadvantages, risk and benefits of each pointed out. We skipped rounds under cars from various guns to show how rounds do not bounce at a sharp angle after a 45 degree hit but a much lesser angle. We engaged opponent targets from under cars with an attempt at cover and/or concealment.

Shooting from inside cars, through windshields, back windows and side windows was informative. We did it and in some runs had to debus the car with alacrity. Our stupid movements were gently pointed out. We also did it as a team with coordination of target acquisition with multiple targets.

Shooting - fun effects:

1. You can shoot effectively through windshields with technique. The first round may go off into the blue but the next go where aimed, if you used the resultant hole. The windshield doesn't shatter.

2. Side windows being tempered, should explode in your face and disappear into tiny bit. Yes, indeedy - except if they had those window tint plastics. We were surprised that they held together and sometimes took multiple rounds till they peeled off. Similarly you should shoot through glass if you could place your hits and hit targets in the seat quite well. I shot a 2nd Gen G19 - my carry with 9mm Winchester WWB or a few Hornady Critical Duty +P+. Either zipped right through the glass.

We had a good group of students - all trained by Karl - so no klutzes who didn't have good basic shooting skills.

I did mention in the home shotgun thread that doors were penetrated by various boomers but with interesting variable results if internal door mechanism and seat junk diverted rounds. One slug didn't didn't get through a door but dived down.

To conclude, well worth for a FOG. Group was fun, Dave was a great instructor for info, style, mentoring and personality. Thanks to Karl for hosting it.

TX is hot and this wasn't even our inferno days. If you don't hydrate - you are toast in more ways than one. The first day I had a bleak period at 2:30, the next day I poured electrolytes down me like reverse oil gusher and survived.

One bad note - I brought a pair of comfy LL Bean hiking boots and start to walk and the damn soles fell right off. Haha, the crowd says. Luckily I had a BUB pair of Danners in the car. I shall complain to Maine on that one.

Seems to be common lately with shoes, sneakers and boots.

NETim
09-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Took a Handgun Combatives class from him a few weeks back. He's a good instructor. I enjoyed the class. Picked up a few tidbits of knowledge too.

BJJ
09-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I get the feeling that Dave is a great instructor who doesn't get talked about as much as he should. I would really like to take a class from him.

Dropkick
09-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Just got done with this on the weekend. Description is here. It was hosted KRtraining in Texas.
http://www.handguncombatives.com/styled-10/index.html

However, we had to ditch cars, move, get up and do whatever.

I'm curious about what he said in regards to when to leave the car, and how to do that.

Dropkick
10-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Bueller..?

Mobile Post

Glenn E. Meyer
10-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Oops - The course really didn't focus on when to leave the car - we were about shooting from and about such. We all had previous training that suggests you don't leave unless you must as the best plan is to drive away with gusto.

About how to leave the car - stay low and a discussion of possible cover and concealment options. We spent time skipping rounds under the car to demonstrate how you might think no one could shoot you by shooting at an angle on the opposite side and it zaps over to you.

Hope that helps.