Butcher, Brian

OPEN
MAJOR
N
N
N
N
80.568 %

I went through about 180 rounds of rifle, 120 rounds of shotgun and 250 rounds of pistol.
I had issues with my rifle not being zeroed for the ammo I was running and had a total of at least 450 penalty seconds for non-hits including 80 seconds for using a prop (20 seconds per target, times four). I was at 28%.

I ran my JM Pro Mossberg 930 modified for 9 round magazine and had two minor feeding issues at the beginning (Round stayed in magazine on with bolt back);
I had zero problems with the Stag 3G Rifle withn CMC trigger and Burris 1-5x24 optic (other than it shooting way to high due to an incorrect zero).
On closer targets I used 45 degree iron sights with great accuracy and no misses...very happy with that.
I had zero problems with my Cz 75 Shadow pistol or mags recently tweaked by Automatic Accuracy.
I had zero problems with Remington 7.5 shot, 3dram, 2-3/4 target ammo;
I had zero problems with Jack Ross 9mm 147gr pistol ammo;
I had zero problems with Wolf Gold 223-55 and Black Hills 223-75gr reloaded;

I would have placed in the 30-40% area if I had properly zeroed my rifle and used consistent rifle ammo and avoided all those penalty points.

I had a lot of fun, and it was great to watch other shooters, pick up tips, and talk to the pro's.

Weather was perfect: No rain, temp 56-80 degrees, sunny to partly cloudy, light breeze of 5-10mph.

Highly recommended match. Plan to do it again next year.

Cody

Lon
09-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Any idea what was up with all the DQ's?

cclaxton
09-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I can only tell you about 3 DQ's that happened on our squad and 2 others the RO told us about. The first one was on our very first stage stage 9. The shooter was reloading his shotgun pointing the shotgun up leaning it against his right shoulder and reloading with his left hand and tipped the shotgun barrel slightly backwards over his shoulder. The second DQ was on stage 2, where a shooter finished his shotgun series and thought he was empty, looked down and saw bolt was back, so he dumped shotgun without safety. Turned out there was one round left in the magazine and when he put the shotgun into barrel, the bolt released and loaded the shell. The third DQ was on stage 2. One part allows the shooter to dump shotgun and stage rifle about 20 yards downrange. While shooter was running gun popped out of holster. RO told us this had happened to a previous shooter. On stage 6 the RO told us and showed us 2 rifle holes in the wooden floor mounted atop a Konex box. Shooter was shooting prone and when getting up put two rounds into the floor. One round put a hole in the top of the konex. Don't know what happened to Jerry...can't wait to hear.
Cody

Chris Rhines
09-21-2014, 10:00 PM
The number of DQs at the FNH match wasn't much out of line with other major 3-gun matches. I didn't see Jerry's DQ, but heard later that he abandoned his loaded shotgun with the safety off. It's easy to do, I've done it myself. Recently.

I had a reasonably good match, ended up 34th overall, 27th in Tac Optics. I didn't shoot a perfectly clean match - I ran past one shotgun plate on stage 9, never saw it even in the walk-through. That cost me 15 seconds. I did much better on the long-range rifle stages. In a total of five stages with 30 100-yd.+ rifle targets, I took a total of nine extra shots.

I had one malfunction with my Accurate Iron Benelli M2. A shell failed to eject completely during stage 8. This shotgun has been very reliable in the past, so I'm tempted to write it off as a fluke. My pistol ran flawlessly, although I had two occasions where I managed to inadvertently drop the magazine during my draw. I've never had this happen before. I'll be doing a detailed teardown of my pistol and magazines next week, just to make sure that I don't have a worn part messing with me. Rifle ran flawlessly, as always.

I'll echo Cody in saying that the FNH 3-Gun Championship is an excellent match. I'll be shooting it as long as they hold it.

cclaxton
09-21-2014, 10:33 PM
The number of DQs at the FNH match wasn't much out of line with other major 3-gun matches. I didn't see Jerry's DQ, but heard later that he abandoned his loaded shotgun with the safety off. It's easy to do, I've done it myself. Recently.

I had a reasonably good match, ended up 34th overall, 27th in Tac Optics. I didn't shoot a perfectly clean match - I ran past one shotgun plate on stage 9, never saw it even in the walk-through. That cost me 15 seconds. I did much better on the long-range rifle stages. In a total of five stages with 30 100-yd.+ rifle targets, I took a total of nine extra shots.

I had one malfunction with my Accurate Iron Benelli M2. A shell failed to eject completely during stage 8. This shotgun has been very reliable in the past, so I'm tempted to write it off as a fluke. My pistol ran flawlessly, although I had two occasions where I managed to inadvertently drop the magazine during my draw. I've never had this happen before. I'll be doing a detailed teardown of my pistol and magazines next week, just to make sure that I don't have a worn part messing with me. Rifle ran flawlessly, as always.

I'll echo Cody in saying that the FNH 3-Gun Championship is an excellent match. I'll be shooting it as long as they hold it.
That is a fantastic run, Chris. We are happy for you. I noticed you placed better than Ravin Perry and David Olhasso....no small achievement.
Congrats,

I just noticed Evan got a DQ as well....too bad...I would liked to have known how he would have placed against the pro's.
Cody